Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
One I discovered recently that I love:

Drink It: Changes all those annoying items with minor active effects into passive or autotriggering effects. For example health potions automatically heal at 25 or 50% health. Doesn't change unique quest gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Onehandclapping posted:

I've actually got a list of mods that I use, it's been a month or so and there's been some cool mods not listed, but there's a bunch that I like, divided by how much impact they have on the game itself.

Mandatory:
Mod Configuration Tool (MCT) : Lets you set values for mods big and small, very nice for tweaking things as you like them. Adds a small gear icon to the top left of your game, very lightweight.

Community Bug Fix: Fixes a billion base game bugs, solves a lot of problems before they come up and ruin your campaigns.

Cosmetic:
Legendary Lore: Read a lore blurb when you recruit new units, take new towns, or kill a legendary lord with a different legendary lord. Generally a fun and interesting little diversion, cool to have with no impact on the game.

Disable Startup Splash: Saves you a click and like 20 seconds on startup, very nice.

Better Camera: Lets you zoom out more, you won't know it's missing until you try it.

Building Progression Icons: Makes each building have a distinct icon. Honestly should be in the base game, it's so nice to have.

Experience Ranks : Changes the unit chevrons to a more visible number and circle, I like it a lot but YMMV

Reloading Animations: Makes gun units actually do an animation before firing again, which is nice and removes a lot of frustration of watching them stand there do nothing while waiting to fire.

High Contrast Border Colors: Makes border lines thicker and brighter, very nice because they can be hard to see and very important.

Rotate all Lords and Heros: Spin those bitches.

Small Changes:
Bring The Boys Home : AI will actually offer peace if they're far away and losing the war, without you personally going over and stomping their poo poo in. Nice QOL

Climate Adaption + English Submod : Your Red Climate towns very slowly become green, nice QOL

Increased Ally Recruitment Unit Cap: Take as many allied units as you can carry, it's fun

Actually Auto Resolve All Quest Battles: Good QOL mod for if you run the same campaign 10k times and got sick of the quests.

Cataph Comfy Encamp: Just makes encamp heal you more in home territory, it's a cheat mod but it's good QOL cheat.

One Button Respec: Lets you reset character skills, once per character for 1k gold. Really good if you fuckup a build or get an AI character with a terrible build.

Better Faction Traits: Makes character traits better in general, so its a more interesting choice which lord or hero you take.

Research Overflow: Changes research to have overflowing numbers, so percentages less then 100% matter.

Big Changes:

Zorbaz Greater Garrisons: Makes garrisons stronger, gives more garrison units for every building. Generally makes holding and taking territory more interesting, you have to commit more to take settlements and it slows down both you becoming unstoppable and AI rampaging through your back settlements. Does what the minor settlement battles were supposed to do, personal favorite of mine but YMMV depending on how you like to play.

Recruit Defeated Legendary Lords: Play pokemon, get all the lords your heart desire because they tend to be much more interesting and confederation is a PITA. 10/10 don't leave home without this mod

NNOBB - Never Obsolete AI Lords & Heroes: Give the AI more levels, so they show up and are much more threatening then the base game. Also, if you're recruiting them, they'll tend to show up at a higher level. Overtuned AF without MCT to tune it down to about 30% of the mods base values

Mixu's Stuff:
Legendary Lords : Adds about 20 legendary lords, notably filling up every empire, bretonnian, and ulthuan spot. Adds a ton of lords all over the place, they're mostly fun, with a few that are extremely OP or gimmicky or just silly. Fun to have, plays well with RDLL for playing pokemon, not mandatory.
Asset Pack: You'll need this for the LL pack to not look like garbage
Mixu's Unlocker: Lets you play any faction, needed for some mods or to play as the added lords.

Immortal Landmarks: Adds a poo poo ton of landmarks, special building in places with strong effects. Adds variation and goals to campaigns, always very nice.
|| Legendary Landmarks: Does the same thing, up to preferences

Warband Upgrade Ultimate: Adds the Chaos Warband upgrade system to every faction, which lets your units upgrade and evolve along side your lord, instead of forcing you disband and recruit new guys. Good QOL and fun all on its own

Dynamic Disasters: Changes up a lot of the endgame disasters, adds a few, changes all of them and makes them generally better. Adds stuff like Dark Elf or Vampire Coast raids in the mid game, with the oddball bretonian crusade and other big events to spice up the map, and a million options to MCT for you to configure the end of the world to your liking.

Faction Mods & Lords:
Yin-Yin the Sea Dragon: Bring a dragon sibling to lustria, with pirate mechanics. Fight lots of dinosaurs and pirates from the word go. Generally difficult but interesting spin on Cathay.

Nagash's Undead Legions: Play the skelly man as he grows from a baby skeleton to a big skeleton, incorporating all the elements of the other undead factions as you go, including their lords. Fun long campaign.

Some good stuff in this list, thanks

Also is the nagash mod actually playable right now? Apparently was crashing a shitload for people at launch

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
The nagash mod was one of the most touchy mods at release, I could only get it to work by turning off every single mod and restarting two or three times. Once i got past that hump, it worked really well with no issues for the 60ish turns I played. Hopefully the modders have ironed out a few of the worst kinks, but it's a very fun and unique campaign on par with a lot of the best base game campaigns, and well worth a go.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Dr Christmas posted:

How do you guys like setting up provinces as Chorfs? I’ve been doing just a tower, outpost and factory in each province, favoring outposts in provinces with two or four cities. I just got a huge amount of territory from confederation another faction, and so not everything is set up that way any more. It’s late game and I’m not wanting for any resources, so what would you do if you were in my situation?

I'm going to preface this by saying that I really enjoy the chorf economy having fiddly bits and trade-offs that you can make, and I appreciate that there is not one true way to build your empire. Instead, it's a little bit like the Factorio process where you're oscillating between growing resources, growing consumers, back to growing resources, et cetera, with trade-offs you can make back and forth depending on what you're flush on or the military situation.

Early on, I tend to prioritize the production of raw materials. Outposts only require gold to setup, so I will tend to flush excess labour aggressively into gold and gold production early to get upgraded outposts running. Because factories and outposts both operate with more efficient returns on your inputs at higher tiers, I try to ensure that any material production/consumption buildings built are upgraded to tier 3 ASAP; if I don't feel like I'm going to hang on to a region for very long I'll usually slap a factory down and won't build anything else or upgrade it. I always build towers as the main settlement building unless towers are simply not available. Early on, I preserve conclave influence exclusively for seats; once I've acquired all the seats then you generally have enough influence production that all new towers should be tier 5 right away.

From there, it becomes a question of individual province resources/ quantity:
2-region provinces, I typically take a factory.
4-region provinces, I'll usually do 2 outposts and 1 factory
3-region provinces, it's either 2 outposts or 2 factories, biasing my construction towards more outposts over factories.
Port provinces I'll preferentially turn into factories.
Resource/landmark availability tends to override my 2/3 region preferences, so if there's iron somewhere in the province, i'll typically build exclusively factories in that province. If there's a landmark that requires labour or like marble or something, I'll typically build outposts. If a province boosts raw material AND armaments production, I'll usually go 1 and 1.
Provinces get checked for automatic labour assignment if they have outposts (or a resource/landmark that requires labour), and otherwise any labour assignment (to rush buildings or generate more cash or influence) is manual. While it's technically less efficient to spend 400 gold moving 200 labour to an empty province to trade for 1500/2250 gold, if I just spread labour everywhere to avoid it I find that I end up spending as much or more gold shifting labour back into my outpost provinces to keep their production up.

Typically, for outposts I'll build the gold building at tier 1, at tier 2 I'll construct the materials building, and the 3rd building will depend largely on the rest of the province - in order of priority, local resource, hobgoblin recruitment, and then control building. Excess labour is turned into gold as necessary to maximize safe outposts as quickly as possible. Factories vary a bit more depending on where they're at but generally the same rule applies for safe factories - always grab the local resource, prefer maximizing regions to tier 3 over maintaining multiple regions at tier 1/2, and build whatever makes sense as the 3rd building.

As far as managing your various resources, figure out what your priorities are for resource spending and spend down your excesses until you no longer have excesses.

Labour - excess labour should be converted into gold early to maximize outpost generation and to get your borders protected, and then when gold isn't immediately useful should be converted into influence to rush up the tower as fast as possible. Further excess labor can be transferred and used to rush construction projects if you have an excess of gold/materials to burn. Having a large excess of labor is always valuable, see the last note at the end
Gold - should be spent maximizing outposts quickly, and then fielding additional armies for as long as you have the income to support the increase. You'll be swimming in gold eventually and as your empire grows you can generate huge chunks of cash off of excess labour, so spend it freely.
Materials - you'll never have enough to spend, but if you find you're building up a stockpile of materials faster than you can spend them, start turning more of the territories you conquer into factories instead of outposts or convert an outpost or two into factories.
Armaments - always send armaments for labour given the choice; you can convert labour into gold with much better returns than selling armaments for money, and labour can always be spent to boost your expansion rate if you're flush with resources. Once your conveys are covered, advanced recruitment buildings suck up a ton of armaments to fully upgrade and obviously spending armaments on unit caps/upgrades is good if you like having actually good troops instead of drowning the enemy in a sea of sacrificial hobgoblins.

One last thing - chaos dwarves get ridiculously good access to global recruitment. Between research and tower upgrades, you can get -2 turns on global recruitment everywhere. In addition, if you have at least 10 recruitment buildings that let you recruit a specific unit, you get an additional -1 turn on global recruitment and a discount on the cost of global recruitment for that unit. Mid to late-game, this means that units that would normally be 2-turns to recruit in the province can be globally recruited anywhere in a single turn. Additionally, the artillery advanced recruitment building provides -1 turn to all global recruitment in that region, fully upgrading to -3 turns. This means that with late-game levels of resources, you can take a province capital as a tier 5 tower , transfer excess labor into the province to immediately construct and upgrade a war machine building , and then hire a new lord and have a new half-stack of the elite units of your choice being recruited on your front line in one turn. Once chaos dwarves get going, the sheer weight of their economy simply steamrolls everything else.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
Any tips for building azazel? I’m thinking as a brawler with redline and a few spells to lower melee defenses

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Sindai posted:

One I discovered recently that I love:

Drink It: Changes all those annoying items with minor active effects into passive or autotriggering effects. For example health potions automatically heal at 25 or 50% health. Doesn't change unique quest gear.

This one is really, really busted while playing certain factions. Festus ends up getting heroes with infinite, always on regen auras and it took me awhile to figure out that no, the game wasn't supposed to be trivial, only really easy.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I'd add Cataph's Southern Realms, Kraka Drak and High Elf Sea Patrol to the list of great mods with vanilla-like balance

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Legendary Characters and its asset pack are a must-have too. Mixu doesn’t seem to be updating much anymore but this one picks up right where it left off with some crazy cool and unique lords and heroes pulled from some obscure-rear end sources, SLAMBO included

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I have to contest the balance in Southern Realms, the units aren't OP but the factions start neutral/friendly with another and so lead to a stronger Order alliance in the area that swings the balance of power a lot.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
IMO that's okay given how powerful Destruction factions are in the badlands

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Fun thing I just noticed: Crumbling and Disintegrating are separate abilities from Undead, so undead units run and crumble at the same time when they're being routed by Harry the Hammer.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Adding a few I like:

Factionwide Resource Bonuses Enhanced
Gives your faction a small bonus for every tradeable resource you have

Points of Interest with Pictures
Does what you think it does

Cpecific's Skill Queue (+win64)
This one I haven't tested properly, but it seems to work fine.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

just wanna say

i love this game

<3

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

wet_goods posted:

Any tips for building azazel? I’m thinking as a brawler with redline and a few spells to lower melee defenses
I can’t remember how I built him in WoC, but you probably want to focus on duelling and army buffs as you’ll have plenty of good casting from wizards and Keepers. Never neglect your blue line.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I think you're overestimating the ai. plus I didn't say I built 0 walls just that not every settlement needed to have them. generally speaking you're fighting along a front of a handful of settlements and your inner core is fairly safe. failing that you already see a large enemy force heading towards your territories and you're building up a defense force anyway

maybe this is a difference in tactics. I tend to hire more cheap armies that can move around for sacking or raiding purposes. walls are static defenses that can't level up or wear equipment

Generally safe, but i'm just kinda tired of getting to a point in midgame where i've got a front and the AI has gone "nah gently caress that" and sailed to the rear end end of nowhere to sack an island somewhere (and immediately get destroyed after).

It's common enough that I start to get suspicious when i'm walking through an enemies core provinces and haven't seen a solid army.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I'll chime in and suggest Victory Conditions Overhaul.. It adds three thematic routes that you can pick (or do all three) for appropriate rewards.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

*for some lords

VCO is good but there is a large hunk of the roster it doesn't touch

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Possible leak: Actor Richard Summers-Calvert has just listed on his IMDB a credit for Aekold Helbrass, who people have speculated is the next FreeLC hero to be released alongside the next DLC.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Oh hell yeah

Hellbrass owns

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

*for some lords

VCO is good but there is a large hunk of the roster it doesn't touch

To be fair, there's a bunch of lords, so it's gonna take a while before every LL has new conditions.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
healing enemies as well as allies or bust, lol

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

To be fair, there's a bunch of lords, so it's gonna take a while before every LL has new conditions.

Oh absolutely but there's no reason to run it if you're playing ikkit or whoever, and it can break scripting with other mods so it shouldn't be an on by default pick because of that

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

bob dobbs is dead posted:

healing enemies as well as allies or bust, lol

Could be cool to, like, have him switch between auras: one heals everyone around him, one hurts everyone around him. Neither of them care about allies/enemies.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I like victory condition overhaul but the man is insane and uses the 'recommended for new player' icon to denote 'I, the mod maker, have changed the victory conditions of this race' because he doesn't want to keep a list somewhere for people to read

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
There's a big list of who's been overhauled in the mods github, which is linked on the workshop page. Honestly though, the new player icon use is a very good indicator considering there's 50+ lords with changed objectives and maybe two or three base game lords that use the icon. It seems to me that people who are modding the game don't really need to know who's new player friendly, so hijacking the icon doesn't affect much of anyone.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Third World Reagan posted:

I like victory condition overhaul but the man is insane and uses the 'recommended for new player' icon to denote 'I, the mod maker, have changed the victory conditions of this race' because he doesn't want to keep a list somewhere for people to read

its hard modding the frontend faction UI.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Chosen with healing is bananas powerful.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

wet_goods posted:

I charged him into every enemy front line and dropped slicing shards on the blob that formed. Ended nearly every fight there and then.

Psycho Landlord posted:

Oh hell yeah

Hellbrass owns

He does. Superhealing for everything!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Tankbuster posted:

its hard modding the frontend faction UI.

he does it instead of say, a post on the mod page

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

ninjahedgehog posted:

Legendary Characters and its asset pack are a must-have too. Mixu doesn’t seem to be updating much anymore but this one picks up right where it left off with some crazy cool and unique lords and heroes pulled from some obscure-rear end sources, SLAMBO included

This one is extremely OP depending on faction and setup. More so than Mixu's Lords are on occasion, and the one two punch makes it more so. It's fun, but will dramatically shakeup balance.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Third World Reagan posted:

he does it instead of say, a post on the mod page

Yeah but then you'd have to check the mod page every time you wanted to start a campaign, it's much better to see who in a faction has new victory conditions right there in game. The recommended for new players icon is useless for anyone who's played the game more than once and they wouldn't be using mods anyway.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
as long as they have "oh god everything is on fire" karl franz on there its useless anyways

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My experience to date is that Karl lives and dies based on whether he can get help. If he can get a solid friend helping him out (I regularly see Ungrim and Katarin doing this), he seems to usually stabilize. If he's left alone or if some not-immediate-neighbor like Kemmler, Wulfrik, or Skrag starts piling in, he's a dead man.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

In my experience, Karl always wins because I always play as Karl.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

My experience to date is that Karl lives and dies based on whether he can get help. If he can get a solid friend helping him out (I regularly see Ungrim and Katarin doing this), he seems to usually stabilize. If he's left alone or if some not-immediate-neighbor like Kemmler, Wulfrik, or Skrag starts piling in, he's a dead man.

I find Festus is the real culprit, if he gets to expand and just plague everything without opposition then Karl is usually screwed from dealing with other threats. If he gets Festus under control then he's absolutely fine. The VC are often a big factor too, some games Gelt gives them serious opposition and others he just sits around doing nothing, it's kind of bizarre.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Karl almost always survives in my games, especially if he is able to confederate another local faction like Stirland or Wissenland. He usually ends up in unending wars and sometimes he doesn't have the chance to expand beyond 3-4 provinces, but since the AI cheats it's very rare that I see him get outright destroyed. More often than not he ends up as a juggernaut top-5 faction.

Pierre McGuire
Oct 30, 2010
Karl is a great ally to beeline for as Orion, he gets involved in a billion wars with the Chaos factions and their Norscan vassals that you can get involved in too for free armies

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Funny enough, in my most recent Boris Ursus campaign, I've had Gelt's faction dominate the Empire. :v:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Funny enough, in my most recent Boris Ursus campaign, I've had Gelt's faction dominate the Empire. :v:

When he says supreme patriarch he means supreme patriarch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

On one hand, Oxyotl's campaign is super fun, somehow better on IE than the 10 turns I tried in WH2, and the battles with his skink army have been really entertaining.

On the other hand, about one out of three of his special teleport quests are bugged and he just won't teleport to them (it plays the animation, but his army stays put), which I could see becoming a problem later in the game, so I'm probably going to put him down to try another campaign.