Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

debating whether to upgrade my ~6 year old 3 to an 8 for $70 off during this upcoming Prime day sale in July or wait for the Series 9

I've been waiting for an opportunity to upgrade from the Series 4 myself. What I am really waiting for is for Apple to stop supporting S4 with software updates. That probably won't stop with series 9 though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

I said come in! posted:

I've been waiting for an opportunity to upgrade from the Series 4 myself. What I am really waiting for is for Apple to stop supporting S4 with software updates. That probably won't stop with series 9 though?

The Series 4 is indeed getting watchOS 10 if that's what you're asking

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Ok Comboomer posted:

debating whether to upgrade my ~6 year old 3 to an 8 for $70 off during this upcoming Prime day sale in July or wait for the Series 9

If you're the type who runs the watch into the ground, wait for the next one this fall. Otherwise, sure go for whatever saves you a few bucks.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Jose Oquendo posted:

If you're the type who runs the watch into the ground, wait for the next one this fall. Otherwise, sure go for whatever saves you a few bucks.

Yeah, I’m 100% the sort of person that contextualizesrationalizes tech purchases as, like, amortized over the number of years I hope to use something/retroactively (ask me about my $2300 $230/year 2013 MacBook Pro)

I can prolly justify $70 for more CPU grunt over ~5 years, and worst case I’ll grab a blowout S8 when the S9 comes out if I don’t think it’s worth it

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This year's WatchOS is the biggest refactor they've done in a while, and I guess it's reasonable to suspect that there will be a matching hardware bump.

But that could all be bullshit, it's impossible to really predict until the leaks start showing up. If that ends up being true, it feels to me like waiting and getting the new watch would be the best way to get maximum life out of the thing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

101 posted:

The Series 4 is indeed getting watchOS 10 if that's what you're asking

Yes, thank you! Will continue to hold onto my watch then. I still wear it every single day and its one of the best pieces of tech ive bought.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Is there a reputable place to buy out of season straps? I really want a 44mm white Sport Loop, and the only one seems to be the Summit White Nike Sport Loop

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

My series 6 just feel off my wrist while tubing. Any big reason to get an 8 vs SE? It seems like some of the heart rate stuff is only on the 8, but I didn’t know if there was some other reason I needed an 8.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
The always on display can be nice if the aesthetics of the watch are important to you (it is also nice to glance at the time without raising your wrist), although lots of people get by without it on the SE and don't seem to mind.
It has a temperature sensor which is useful for period tracking. The screen has slightly curved edges that blend a little better into the watch, again if looks and design matter a lot to you. Otherwise, there's not much else that you'll notice. I used the blood oxygen sensor like once to reassure me that I wasn't dying.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Ahh. Forgot about the always on! Thanks!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Snowmankilla posted:

Ahh. Forgot about the always on! Thanks!

7 is also identical to the 8 save for no temperature sensor or car crash detection. So if you don't have periods and don't plan on getting into a car crash, you might be able to save a lot of money. I ended up getting a 7 because I really liked the green colour.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The SE also uses the 4’s screen size, right? Granted, 1mm may not sound like much, but the 8’a screen size does enable an actual keyboard when texting whereas the smaller screen watches like the SE don’t even get that as an option.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

The Grumbles posted:

7 is also identical to the 8 save for no temperature sensor or car crash detection. So if you don't have periods and don't plan on getting into a car crash, you might be able to save a lot of money. I ended up getting a 7 because I really liked the green colour.

Also believe if you have the 14 you have the car crash detection so check that box too.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think I was saying in this thread that actually transferring music to the watch is fast now. I guess that was a fluke, it’s gone back to terribly slow. Tried all the tips about turning Bluetooth off and don’t know that I see any real difference. When it was working the other week, it took maybe 20 seconds to download an Apple Music playlist.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data
I have the S7, it's about 18 months old. It has been great. I just use it for a couple apps (Okta verify push) and outdoor walks, or hikes for fitness. I can turn off my morning alarms. About 5 times I have answered a call on it while trying to fish out my airpods from my watch pocket(!) in my jeans, and everything has been great and expected. Oh yeah, it tells me when to stand!! Bless it.

Last week I updated to OS 9.5.2 and twice now my watch has reached below 10% battery towards the end of the day. Previously the most any day ever used had 54% battery remaining. When I went on a four day trip last October, I forgot to bring the delightfully unique charging cable and it remained above 5% for the trip, using it the same.

24GB free of 32GB on it. Battery Health: 95% of 'maximum capacity'. 0 songs, 41 photos, 3 apps.

Anyone else witness this? Or has ruminations? I'm very annoyed. Tell me I'm an idiot because I did: __________. Or rather I didn't do: ___________. I'll thank you. :tipshat:
PS: Yes, everything is up to date. Apple user since before floating point.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

That's gotta be a process misbehavin.' Give that fucker a hard reset.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Jose Oquendo posted:

That's gotta be a process misbehavin.' Give that fucker a hard reset.

Boo. :rant:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

FWIW I wouldn’t expect multi day charge times from Apple Watch. I understand from your description you’re not a Power User but still I’m not going to expect 4 days of battery.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Not a wipe. A hard reset. Hold the side button and crown down together until it restarts and you see the Apple logo.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Jose Oquendo posted:

Not a wipe. A hard reset. Hold the side button and crown down together until it restarts and you see the Apple logo.
I looked into doing that, but I did a full reset anyway. It didn't take too long.
"Problem" solved. And it made me ...er ... allowed me rather, to choose a different complication (and there were new ones that I hadn't seen before). So thank you smart folk.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
my watch never makes it though the day anymore unless I switch to Low Power Mode. Is there any way to just toggle that on indefinitely? It's annoying when I forget to turn it on in the morning and then I'm already down to like 60% at lunchtime.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Just curious, what model? My S7 seems to be dying quicker too.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

eightysixed posted:

Just curious, what model? My S7 seems to be dying quicker too.
Series 5, non-GPS, small version. Battery capacity is labeled "signifcantly reduced" at 78%!

Phone's in bad shape too, "significantly degraded," also at 78%. An 11 Pro, same deal where it doesn't make it through the day unless I'm on Low Power Mode. Both purchased new in 2019!

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Ouch :(
I could be wrong about this, but I thought you got a free replacement if you carry AppleCare and battery health is less than 80%
I could be wrong though v:shobon:v

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
That’s four years, come on. I’m over the moon my 12 Pro is still going okay (and deffo needs a recharge over the day) and frankly I’m surprised it’s still working nicely and responsively 3 years in.

Also 78% battery is grounds for replacement afaik, that should give them another lease on life if you’re adamant about not upgrading.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Zwille posted:

Also 78% battery is grounds for replacement afaik, that should give them another lease on life if you’re adamant about not upgrading.
Yeah, that’s what I thought, too :)

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Zwille posted:

That’s four years, come on. I’m over the moon my 12 Pro is still going okay (and deffo needs a recharge over the day) and frankly I’m surprised it’s still working nicely and responsively 3 years in.

ha yeah I'm not outraged or anything, this is literally the longest period of time I've ever owned a phone. and I'd expect less from a watch.

Out-of-warranty battery replacement is $90 for a phone right, is it the same for a watch?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

You can scroll down & check here

https://support.apple.com/watch/repair

It’s $79 for a 41mm 7 GPS

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Free if he has AppleCare.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm not sure whether I like that change in WatchOS 10, where they changed the sidebutton on non-Ultra watches to raise the control center instead of the last used apps, which moved to a double tap on the dial.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm not sure whether I like that change in WatchOS 10, where they changed the sidebutton on non-Ultra watches to raise the control center instead of the last used apps, which moved to a double tap on the dial.

I'm probably the worst user and don't see a problem with the change, mostly because I can never remember what either the button or dial does aside from hitting it until ApplePay comes up.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It's pretty annoying you can't use your watch to make a note.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I can't say the widget drawer has been that useful in WatchOS10 but I don't mind the control center drawer being moved but it's sure to piss off a bunch of people when it officially rolls out.

They should add a note taking widget.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I don't even think it needs to be a widget but just put the note on my fuckin phone. Having to pull my phone out and activate Siri on that to take the note is dumb.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I may have over thought it.
I just set a Reminder for January 1, 2080 or whatever so it doesn’t alert, and just use Reminders as notes that I can refer back to whenever, just like a notes thing :shobon:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

The dumbest thing about the watch similar to no calculator on iPad gotta be that timers don’t synch between watch and phone (or at least timers on the phone don’t transfer to watch)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zwille posted:

The dumbest thing about the watch similar to no calculator on iPad gotta be that timers don’t synch between watch and phone (or at least timers on the phone don’t transfer to watch)

If I set a timer on my HomePod I should be able to see it on my watch and phone. It’s dumb it doesn’t do that.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

MarcusSA posted:

If I set a timer on my HomePod I should be able to see it on my watch and phone. It’s dumb it doesn’t do that.

You can

In the home app

Then you go to the device page

It’s so simple and helpful

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Is there a way to only display a different time zone as watch face, while internally it’s using another?

I live in one time zone but work remote for another, and I’d prefer being able to only have the work time zone visible at a glance while I’m on the clock.

Tried a bunch of different watch faces but they all seem to lock to the main time zone. I can add additional clocks, but that defeats the point for me as they’re always smaller/darker than the main one.

If it’s only “change watch timezone” and it won’t cause issues being out of sync with phone, I can do that, but figure I can’t be the only person trying to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Maybe with automator you can have your watch set for the appropriate time zone during work hours?