Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

Egbert Souse posted:

Movies for sale

Sent you a PM

Edit: Payment sent, thank you!

Tesh fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Whenever u get the SA mart thread up I'd like posters here who bought stuff to make a post there too. The admins prefer and I agree, transactions should take place in SA mart.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 9, 2023

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

It's funny, I literally just bought that same Double Indemnity set this morning at HPB. I was debating on whether I wanted it or the Criterion release but the included photocards and other features were good for me. Looks great.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

Whenever u get the SA mart thread up I'd like posters here who bought stuff to make a post there too. The admins prefer and I agree, that transactions should take place in SA mart.

Took down my older post, didn't think about that.

My thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4036145

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
My B&N had After Hours on the shelf today but it wouldn’t ring up so I’ll have to go back. Grabbed Blue is the Warmest Color totally blind because it was marked as $24.99 before the sale price so I figured why not.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Picked up Mishima and Three Colors 4K. For some reason i thought Lady Vengeance was a criterion and was looking for that. Probably confused names with Lady Snowblood.

Looking forward to watching Three colors for first time though.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

checkplease posted:

Looking forward to watching Three colors for first time though.

Same! Never seen them before but I just picked that set up

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

There’s no way any of the Elvis movies are any good right?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kart Barfunkel posted:

King Creole (directed by Michael Curtiz), Jailhouse Rock, and Viva Las Vegas seem to be the most praised films. Don Siegel directed him in Flaming Star

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

They’re a fun time and the music is good.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Action Serious posted:

My B&N had After Hours on the shelf today but it wouldn’t ring up so I’ll have to go back. Grabbed Blue is the Warmest Color totally blind because it was marked as $24.99 before the sale price so I figured why not.

FYI, here's all the "discount" Blu-rays that have $30 MSRP ($15 sale) instead of the normal $40 MSRP ($20 sale):

Blue is the Warmest Color
The Ballad of Narayama
Gate of Hell
I Married a Witch
Identification of a Woman
Letter Never Sent
The Makioka Sisters
Ministry of Fear
The Organizer
Three Outlaw Samurai
The Uninvited
Bitter Rice
David Lynch: The Art Life
Jellyfish Eyes
Summer Interlude

All are either bare-bones (just an essay) or just have something like a trailer and quick interview.

and here's all the single-film Blu-ray releases that are $50 MSRP due to being multi-disc ($25 sale):

The New World (three cuts)
Che (2-part film)
The Leopard (two cuts)
On the Waterfront (three aspect ratios)
Pina (2D + 3D)
The Night of the Hunter (feature-length doc)
Brazil (two cuts)
War and Peace (4-part film)
Heaven's Gate
True Stories (CD soundtrack)
His Girl Friday (bonus restored feature The Front Page on second disc)
Carlos (2-part film)
Citizen Kane (two supplement discs)
Seven Samurai (supplement disc)
The Battle of Algiers (supplement disc)
Monterey Pop (two supplement discs)
Scenes from a Marriage (two cuts)
Andrei Rublev (two cuts)
The Tree of Life (two cuts)
Othello (two cuts)

They're doing more 2-disc releases for single films lately without a MSRP increase. Too bad they never do price drops as Heaven's Gate, The Night of the Hunter, Brazil, and On the Waterfront absolutely have no reason to be more expensive.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

King Creole (directed by Michael Curtiz), Jailhouse Rock, and Viva Las Vegas seem to be the most praised films. Don Siegel directed him in Flaming Star

I’m not averse to rock flicks at all by the way. The Beatles movies (with the Beatles actually in them) all own. I just posted about how much I enjoyed The Girl Can’t Help It and I have a soft spot for The Fastest Guitar in the West. I was just always under the impression that Elvis flicks weren’t worth the time but I’ll give one a shot.

Edit: I also love Head.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 10, 2023

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kart Barfunkel posted:

:laugh:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I've watched Three Colors: Blue and White so far as well as a handful of the special features, really enjoying this set. Blue is phenomenal and I really enjoyed White even though it seems to be considered the weakest one in the trilogy. Could've leaned into the dark humor more though. Gonna finish up Red later this week.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Thank you for reminding me that it's been a few years since I've seen Head, need to fix that soon.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Finally watched Inland Empire that i picked up in the last sale. It’s impressive how well the blu ray looks with all cray upscaling they did. Definitely a strange but captivating film that I am still thinking about.

The Kyle/Laura Dern discussion and behind the scenes footage are interesting extras and show the more free form aspect of this one and filming it all on that tiny handheld.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

October releases:

Don't Look Now (UHD/Blu Combo) - Oct 3
Videodrome (UHD/Blu Combo) - Oct 10
Tod Browning's Sideshow Shockers - Oct 17
[Includes Freaks, The Unknown, and The Mystic]
The Others (UHD/Blu Combo, Blu-ray) - Oct 24
Nanny (Blu-ray) - Oct 31

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Egbert Souse posted:

October releases:

Don't Look Now (UHD/Blu Combo) - Oct 3
Videodrome (UHD/Blu Combo) - Oct 10
Tod Browning's Sideshow Shockers - Oct 17
[Includes Freaks, The Unknown, and The Mystic]
The Others (UHD/Blu Combo, Blu-ray) - Oct 24
Nanny (Blu-ray) - Oct 31

I realize Fran Drescher is getting a lot more attention because of the SAG strike but that last one is still surprising.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Freaks is a no-brainer. So is Don't Look Down and an upgraded Videodrome. My partner will be pumped for The Others.

I haven't seen Nanny yet.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks like Criterion have stopped doing UK releases. The last ones were announced in April and released in June. bummer :(

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Ooh, I almost bought Videodrome the other day. Good to know that when I'm ready I'll have an even better version to enjoy.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Nanny rules, saw it at Sundance and thought it was done for in terms of finding a bigger audience as a Prime exclusive later. Happy as hell rn, definitely worth a watch

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

The Others, very cool.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Ooh, I almost bought Videodrome the other day. Good to know that when I'm ready I'll have an even better version to enjoy.

I've got zero clue how this will shake out, but the Arrow release is definitely the pick of the litter with both the theatrical and directors cut included in the set. I'm curious what Criterion decides to go with and how their restoration turns out though

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

dorium posted:

I've got zero clue how this will shake out, but the Arrow release is definitely the pick of the litter with both the theatrical and directors cut included in the set. I'm curious what Criterion decides to go with and how their restoration turns out though

quote:

4K digital restoration of the unrated version, approved by director David Cronenberg, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

It's a bit of a bummer, but I've slowed down buying blu-ray Criterions, cuz I keep picking ones that get reissued in 4k in half a year.

It makes the 50% sales easier, though, cuz I get less choice paralysis concentrating on 4ks.

I grabbed After Hours and Raging Bull 4ks over the weekend. Only two more paychecks left for the sale.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I got the Videodrome Criterion release with their May sale but I might be tempted for the 4k release by next year's summer sale.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like the UK arm of Criterion is just temporarily on hold due to a change in distributors. Sony is their distributor in the US. Good possibility their Canadian distributor will change soon, as well, since the owner of Unobstructed View seems to have gone insane.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

It's a bit of a bummer, but I've slowed down buying blu-ray Criterions, cuz I keep picking ones that get reissued in 4k in half a year.

It makes the 50% sales easier, though, cuz I get less choice paralysis concentrating on 4ks.

I grabbed After Hours and Raging Bull 4ks over the weekend. Only two more paychecks left for the sale.

Yea I've done the same thing, if it's an existing Criterion blu ray it's off my list because I expect a 4k upgrade at some point. There are some that are especially obvious though, like it definitely seems like a bad idea to buy Brazil at this point when they've already upgraded several of their Gilliam films to 4k.

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

I’m excited about The Others joining the collection

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Tesh posted:

Interestingly enough that's the first film I saw in theaters after 9/11. It was a day or two later and everyone was still just kinda dazed.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Tesh posted:

I remember it being shot really well, but it's not exactly a watch twice kinda flick due to the nature of the film. I'm still going to get it, I'm just surprised this didn't end up with shout or kino

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks like the UK arm of Criterion is just temporarily on hold due to a change in distributors. Sony is their distributor in the US. Good possibility their Canadian distributor will change soon, as well, since the owner of Unobstructed View seems to have gone insane.

Ahh good to know, thanks!

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

zer0spunk posted:

I remember it being shot really well, but it's not exactly a watch twice kinda flick due to the nature of the film. I'm still going to get it, I'm just surprised this didn't end up with shout or kino

I’m assuming it’s more of a general audience title. Not the most prestigious thing, but it’s got a big name attached so it should sell well.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Tesh posted:

lmao is this your photo?

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

wa27 posted:

lmao is this your photo?

Yes, yes it is. I went straight from high school that afternoon to the (completely empty) mall to watch it, because drat it apparently nothing was going to ruin my plans that day

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

lol I went and saw Donnie Darko. Weird time.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Unsurprisingly, the Three Colors trilogy UHD was definitely a fantastic blind buy. Blue and Red were both incredible, White wasn’t quite on the same level but I still liked it a lot. I haven’t watched all the extras yet but the two short documentaries included are both really good (especially Talking Heads) and the handful of interviews and behind the scenes stuff have been worthwhile too.

Gonna go back to B&N probably later today, getting the Varda set and maybe some others. Out of the UHDs they’ve done so far, what are the most essential? I’ve never seen The Red Shoes and I get the impression it would look great.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
So when's the Black Narcissus UHD?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Nightmare Cinema posted:

So when's the Black Narcissus UHD?

It's probably next in line for a new 4K restoration as both A Canterbury Tale and I Know Where I'm Going! were recently completed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

The other day I blind bought Robinson Crusoe On Mars from a thrift store, mostly because I wanted to reuse the case for something else but didn't realize that it was released in a standard-sized case instead of the new shorter ones. Luckily it was cheap, and I finally got around to watching it.

It was...well, not super interesting, but it definitely had some charm for a while. Very beautiful matte paintings, sets, and props, and there was a monkey! Very cute. Unfortunately the glacial pace and the decision to suddenly introduce some heavy-handed "teaching the savages the way of our civilization" stuff both dragged the movie down. Could have done without that. I know the movie is literally called Robinson Crusoe On Mars but...eesh. the profundity of the first half is immediately torpedoed.

It was still fun, with a really very good-looking transfer, and even better was the special feature of a music video featuring a song by one of the actors that is both about the movie as well as a tribute to his dead father and features such arresting lyrics as "Robinson Crusoe/Robinson Crusoe on Mars/You'll be the astronaut/And I'll be the guy on Mars". It's so silly, not very good, and yet undeniably sweet, so I'll be keeping the disc just for that reason.

The box art is absolutely gorgeous if nothing else. Fun blind buy, just wish it was overall more entertaining for as interesting a piece of sci-fi as it is.