Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

trumps got a red rocket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

awwww its justa momma and a baby elephant sleepin under the stars :)

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

they blow with the jet stream that has been getting funky and doing that lately.

i have a ? too: does this arctic smoke cloud shield the ice from melting as fast as otherwise?

No. Any soot/ash that lands on ice/snow only accelerates its melting. Even tiny amounts of very dark material like carbon will noticeably affect the albedo of very bright materials like snow/ice, so it will absorb more of the sunlight energy that falls on it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Good news I live in the northeast and I'm getting Smokey tomorrow!!

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Real hurthling! posted:

i have a ? too: does this arctic smoke cloud shield the ice from melting as fast as otherwise?

lol, lmao

e: normally I would answer this before lol and lmaoing but it's already been answered

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of

Luneshot posted:

No. Any soot/ash that lands on ice/snow only accelerates its melting. Even tiny amounts of very dark material like carbon will noticeably affect the albedo of very bright materials like snow/ice, so it will absorb more of the sunlight energy that falls on it.

thus creating more liquid water to put out the fires! sounds like a self-correcting problem to me, now to take a long drag on this smokey air

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

:stonk:

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

:trumppop:

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

tater_salad posted:

Good news I live in the northeast and I'm getting Smokey tomorrow!!

same! :hfive:

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

no sharpie

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

woke up with red light creeping through my windows

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Not supposed to go past red so I took my convertible to work. Orange or purble gonna make me sad.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ill just become rich bottling air on good days to sell on bad ones

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

ill just become rich bottling air on good days to sell on bad ones

Buys a bigger air compressor as a business investment.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
weather is transitive. climate is forever.

buy your future wife some climate valued at 3 months of base salary.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

DoombatINC posted:

awwww its justa momma and a baby elephant sleepin under the stars :)

lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

did they ever make that furry cartoon reboot of blazing saddles they threatened to make a few years back?

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
even riddled with flak it still managed to land

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Cold skipper

Hockenheim
Oct 20, 2022

by VG

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
starting a chain of oxygen bars, who wants to help buy some shares?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

AQI was about 20 when I woke up. It's now 132 and rising. The air is a sort of chalky yellow. My throat hurts.

Typical New England summer.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I'm enjoying a year of everyone except the PNW eating absolute poo poo, nice change of pace

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

The Oldest Man posted:

I'm enjoying a year of everyone except the PNW eating absolute poo poo, nice change of pace

Shhhh don't draw attention to us

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
It's fine, we've still got lots of opportunities for other kinds of disasters. I noticed they recently installed a bunch of huge "ENTERING/LEAVING TSUNAMI HAZARD ZONE" signs along the highway nearby

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

just enjoying a crisp menthol cigarette with an aqi of 198 in 90 degree heat.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

silicone thrills posted:

Shhhh don't draw attention to us

you get another series of atmospheric rivers in quick succession and you will post about it

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

SirPablo posted:

That the water is 130F and that isn't a Cat 6 hurricane.

that's a user error not a model error. you're supposed to use NAM for hurricanes.

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

The atmospheric river thing is extra fun because I recently attended a talk where a scientist was doing some modeling where they worked out that the only reason we weren't seeing those sooner with climate change was that all the industrial aerosols we pump out happened to almost balance the system out.

Except we finally hit the tipping point where we aren't making GBS threads out aren't enough to balance that scale anymore and the modeling is showing that the split is accelerating on the widening. So this scientist was showing big swathes where atmospheric rivers were going to be a several time a year thing instead of 1/1000 year events.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/355051478_Counterbalancing_influences_of_aerosols_and_greenhouse_gases_on_atmospheric_rivers

Objective Action has issued a correction as of 23:04 on Jul 17, 2023

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

So what you're saying is pollute more... This is very good for shareholder value!

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol been without power since 330 pm yesterday, evergy (the power monopoly in ks/mo) has no idea when power will be restored. They were surprised because it stormed in Kansas in July. There’s tons of trees down but there was no way to see this coming despite them coming out twice to mark the same trees for trimming (and then never coming back). They did have a billion dollars in profits last year so that’s cool!

lol I still don’t have power lmao

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

tater_salad posted:

So what you're saying is pollute more... This is very good for shareholder value!

https://i.imgur.com/kQfokan.mp4

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol I still don’t have power lmao

Hang in there good goon

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
big if true

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
77.5f, dew point of 73, what a lovely time, makes me wish I believed in using my central air

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Objective Action posted:

The atmospheric river thing is extra fun because I recently attended a talk where a scientist was doing some modeling where they worked out that the only reason we weren't seeing those sooner with climate change was that all the industrial aerosols we pump out happened to almost balance the system out.

Except we finally hit the tipping point where we aren't making GBS threads out aren't enough to balance that scale anymore and the modeling is showing that the split is accelerating on the widening. So this scientist was showing big swathes where atmospheric rivers were going to be a several time a year thing instead of 1/1000 year events.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/355051478_Counterbalancing_influences_of_aerosols_and_greenhouse_gases_on_atmospheric_rivers

Drought's over.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

500excf type r posted:

77.5f, dew point of 73, what a lovely time, makes me wish I believed in using my central air

You living in a swamp?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

might be getting a haboob tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

500excf type r posted:

that doesnt sound bad