Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’ve been moving to Fastmail, it has a subscription cost but I wanted to move off of gmail. I really like their tagging and being able to set up tags/folders to auto delete after a period of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I use Apple Mail and it’s been fine. I use it with Gmail but I just stopped caring about getting emails instantly. Most of it is trash that’s not important.

It’s gotten to a point where I’m considering just ditching Gmail for iCloud Mail. Maybe I will but not sure.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Thanks everyone. I agree that there are definitely plusses and minuses. I think the auto categorizing of emails in gmail is kinda nice. Does that carry over into Apple mail? I would assume not.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I’ve toyed with moving my main email from my ancient rear end Hotmail account to an iCloud mail
Account just on the basis that over the past few years my influx of junk mail has gone through the roof; even though I have a secondary email account for giving to dubious sites.

But changing my email everywhere just seems like so much work that I never end up getting around to it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

The Lord Bude posted:

I’ve toyed with moving my main email from my ancient rear end Hotmail account to an iCloud mail
Account just on the basis that over the past few years my influx of junk mail has gone through the roof; even though I have a secondary email account for giving to dubious sites.

But changing my email everywhere just seems like so much work that I never end up getting around to it.

Forward all your hotmails to your icloud, then you can address the backlog of accounts piecemeal

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Also don’t be afraid to use Hide my Email for signing up to stuff. That’s what I’ve been doing and it’s pretty great.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

101 posted:

I haven't used the app as public transport near me is abysmal, but does it not show when a bus/train is running late/delayed?
I use Transit a lot and think it's well worth the subscription. Where I live, it connects to the various transit authorities' APIs and gets their official data PLUS you can opt-in to letting it track you while you're using the app so that it can actively track buses/trains' locations. This is very helpful here since the bus lines, in particular, seem to send out false information about bus locations.

It also shows bike and scooter share locations, which can be helpful

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Does your public transit system not have their own app? Seems like most do these days.
Most do, sure, but this is less useful when you may be using multiple transit systems in a single trip, which I do on days I don't bike to work.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Sorry, I forget I live in a podunk place with only one transit service. When I travel to places with more than one I usually just use Apple or Google Maps but as others pointed out upthread those options might not accurately reflect route changes or cancellations. Apple Maps hasn’t failed me whenever I travel to Sweden, though.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

priznat posted:

I’ve been moving to Fastmail, it has a subscription cost but I wanted to move off of gmail. I really like their tagging and being able to set up tags/folders to auto delete after a period of time.

Fastmail's app is also pretty good imo.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Fastmail plus Mail.app is the winning combo IMHO.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

maduin posted:

I’ve actually been using and enjoying Artifact, which is from the guys who created Instagram and sold it to Facebook. It’s pretty solid, and definitely more the Apple News aggregator style than some sort of RSS reader. Might be worth checking it out.

a+ feature

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
my only problem with artifact aside from it occasionally surfacing paywalled content was the fact that some articles were so heavily ad-ridden. i’d forgotten what the un-adblocked web had looked like

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Legs Benedict posted:

my only problem with artifact aside from it occasionally surfacing paywalled content was the fact that some articles were so heavily ad-ridden. i’d forgotten what the un-adblocked web had looked like

Yeah often if you hit their reader view (the little book icon) it clears out all the ads and leaves the important text and pictures. It’s not totally flawless all the time, sometimes it truncates the article.

You’re right though, it’s shocking what an awful experience a lot of websites are without adblock.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
I always forget about the ads on those news pages. I have NextDNS running and it does a great job filtering stuff even inside of webviews.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

maduin posted:

I always forget about the ads on those news pages. I have NextDNS running and it does a great job filtering stuff even inside of webviews.

i’ll take a look at nextdns; i typically use a mix 1Blocker and Mullvad for various things but getting those VPNs to stay turned on sometimes can be a challenge

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Legs Benedict posted:

I’ve noticed a lot of blank spots where ads should be. I think one of my ad blockers is working inside it.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Buff Hardback posted:

Fastmail plus Mail.app is the winning combo IMHO.

No labels :/

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

mawarannahr posted:

I’ve been swayed back to team folders

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

mawarannahr posted:

https://www.fastmail.help/hc/en-us/articles/360058753554-Setting-up-and-using-labels

Although yeah, folders are better

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Someone in the macOS thread showed me how to create a smart mailbox on the Mac client, that lets me set it up so I only get notifications for my 'important' Gmail mailbox - by creating a smart mailbox just for those, and then tying notifications to that. Is there anything similar in iOS? I can set it up so the Mail app itself only shows the 'important' mailbox (for non gmail users, that's the mailbox that gmail uses to filter through all of your actual email and filter out the stuff that's not quite spam but that you might not want to/can't be bothered to unsubscribe to). But I still have a notification badge for 200 new emails, and don't really want to get alerts for everything. Can you assign alerts/badges to just one mailbox? This is basically the one thing that's tying me to the official Gmail app, but I'd prefer all the native integration stuff if at all possible.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Okay so I tried the Mail app, got my gmail added in. Cool. Now I can get all that lovely iOS integration.

Dumb question: I can’t figure out a quick way to delete 1 email at a time. Swiping options don’t include delete, only archive. Having to do a long press or more than a couple taps sucks.

Is there a quick way to delete a mail?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

crestfallen posted:

Okay so I tried the Mail app, got my gmail added in. Cool. Now I can get all that lovely iOS integration.

Dumb question: I can’t figure out a quick way to delete 1 email at a time. Swiping options don’t include delete, only archive. Having to do a long press or more than a couple taps sucks.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208661

Set Bin or Archive as your default option:
Depending on the type of email account you have, you may see Archive instead of Bin when you try to delete emails. You can edit where your deleted messages go in your Mail settings:

In the Settings app, tap Mail.
Tap Accounts.
Tap your account.
Tap your account once more.
Tap Advanced.
Select Deleted Mailbox or Archive Mailbox to send discarded messages there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

crestfallen posted:

Yeah, if you do a drag from right to left. If you only go part way brings up a few icons to manage that email. But if you keep going it eventually deletes that message.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

xzzy posted:

Yeah, if you do a drag from right to left. If you only go part way brings up a few icons to manage that email. But if you keep going it eventually deletes that message.
Mine doesn’t. If I go all the way from right to left, it archives. Is that because it’s gmail?

Slash posted:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208661

Set Bin or Archive as your default option:
Depending on the type of email account you have, you may see Archive instead of Bin when you try to delete emails. You can edit where your deleted messages go in your Mail settings:

In the Settings app, tap Mail.
Tap Accounts.
Tap your account.
Tap your account once more.
Tap Advanced.
Select Deleted Mailbox or Archive Mailbox to send discarded messages there.
YEAH!! This was it. Holy cow, look at how many layers in that was. Oof. I couldn’t believe that I couldn’t find it. Thought I had explored the options, but missed tapping the email account AGAIN. Seems like archive vs delete would be a little more prominent. 🤔

Thank you ALL for the quick help. Y’all are the best! ⭐️

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Just answered my own question, I was being oblivious :)

Snowy fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 9, 2023

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

withak posted:

Basically classical music requires that the metadata be sliced and diced differently from normal music.

As a person who listens to a lot of classical music, I think the claim that this is "required" is sort of weird.

Examples:

I know that there are a huge pile of interpretations of Bach's Goldberg Variations out there. I also know that my favourite is Glen Gould's original recording from the 50s. That said, when I want to listen to the Goldberg Variations, I've always appreciated that Spotify/OG Apple Music shows me a lot of options. That's kind of the point.

Similarly, I really like The Kronos String Quartet. When I search for them, they've recorded a diverse catalog of various styles of music. I've never searched for them and been frustrated by the fact that it returns a diverse catalog. I also know that if I want to hear them playing African music, I can just search for "Kronos Africa" and lo and behold their album of African Music appears. Nothing was ever broken.

I also really like Philip Glass. When I search for his name, I can find him as a performer or composer. It's never felt "broken" to me. I don't know if people really need all the metadata. Like it's great, but I think it's much more a market to mine than the actual dire need it's being framed as.

Finally, I also like a lot of music outside the classical realm that would benefit from extended metadata but doesn't require it. Ever search for Pearl Jam on Apple Music? Those guys have released so many alternate and live albums that if you search for one song you'll get a shitload of options. Does Pearl Jam require a special app so you can listen to them? I don't think so.

TLDR - I think Apple is just exploiting a new potential way to fleece people. Shocker.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Isn’t it included with the normal subscription, but just gives you a dedicated app for it?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Yeah it’s part of Apple Music already.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Yeah, not sure how people are getting fleeced by having more options at no additional cost.

At the most level I would think the target audience they have in mind from their Primephonic acquisition want their classical music isolated from mainstream music like "my coochie pink my booty hole brown" by Sexxy Red.

If anything, the biggest fleece is that both Apple Music and Apple Classical are crappy apps. How can I still not make playlist folders on iOS? How can I still not browse Genre -> Artist -> Albums like the original iPod?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

FLEECED, I TELL YOU!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah playlists are such a loving mess in apple music it’s really annoying. Can’t even separate them between your own created playlists and ones you have found on the app! Ugh.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

priznat posted:

Yeah playlists are such a loving mess in apple music it’s really annoying. Can’t even separate them between your own created playlists and ones you have found on the app! Ugh.

iOS 17 lets you sort playlists by playlist type. I usually just have mine sorted by Recently Played. It would be nice if you could pin a playlist.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Corb3t posted:

iOS 17 lets you sort playlists by playlist type. I usually just have mine sorted by Recently Played. It would be nice if you could pin a playlist.

Oh nice that’s something to look forward to! I hope they have other improvements like bring back the dynamic playlists from itunes days etc.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Would be nice if Apple did more changes to Music in iOS 17. But at least we have Crossfade now (something the AM Android app has had for quite some time now)

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Skeezy posted:

Would be nice if Apple did more changes to Music in iOS 17. But at least we have Crossfade now (something the AM Android app has had for quite some time now)

The SharePlay stuff for creating a shared playlist in the car with your friends, even when they aren't subscribed to Apple Music, is pretty cool. The other thing they're slowly rolling out are collaborative playlists, which are coming sometime later this year.

Spotify still has some benefits (social, playlist generation), but crossfade and collaborative playlists were two of the bigger features that were missing from Apple Music that I missed from Spotify, so I can't complain. It would be nice to see Apple improve AirPlay to have better handoff like Chromecast/Spotify Connect.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I just want to be able to handoff from my iOS device to the windows player but that will never come I’m sure. The windows app is hilariously bare bones still.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
1Password question.

What’s the difference between clicking on the 1P icon that’s inserted inside the text field and selecting the proper login, vs. tapping on the “password” bar right above the keyboard? Which is the preferred way to use 1Password? Why are there 2 ways to insert passwords from my password manager?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

1Password question.

What’s the difference between clicking on the 1P icon that’s inserted inside the text field and selecting the proper login, vs. tapping on the “password” bar right above the keyboard? Which is the preferred way to use 1Password? Why are there 2 ways to insert passwords from my password manager?

Because the 1P icon that is inserted is using their Safari extension, and the built-in keyboard version is using iOS's setting where you can designate a password manager other than Keychain.

There's no wrong way to use it, I've definitely come across logins that wouldn't bring up the keyboard password manager or display 1P's icon, so I'm guessing they're just covering their bases. I know Apple's built-in keychain password manager likes to hijack the keyboard when you try and enter a new password, even if you select 1Password as your primary password manager.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Best public transit line tracker/searcher app similar to “Transit” app? I used to use this app all the time but now when I download it again it wants me to subscribe to regain access to things I had before, like “show all lines”.

So it turns out that none of this ended up mattering because my local transit authority gives everyone who uses the app a free premium subscription, so I’m still using Transit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

This meme really speaks to me. Only thing it's really missing is true Markdown support + Exporting, which can be solved with ProNotes and Exporter for macOS.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 17, 2023