Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
There's also FF3 Karateka, which was if my math's correct was the first way in the series to break 9999 in a single hit. (Honorable mention for second goes to Onion Knight, which needs even more levels and some undocumented rare-drop grinding; after that it's Break Damage Limit a decade-plus later.)

I don't think the full expectation was that players would turbogrind; remember, NED phase 2 is conceptually very like Cloud of Darkness, demanding partywide heals on pace with it doing its thing, just with the added complication that toned-down until the enrage but still full HP versions of Echidna/Ahriman/2HD are also there loving with you, and additionally remember that it's four entries, but also only four years, removed from the entry where you were straight expected to run from the bad random encounter rolls because that's how D&D worked. I'd be interested, though, to check out the at-the-time strategy guides as a picture of pre-internet "meta", maybe I'll throw them in my next proxy order.

e: there's also an interesting tangent with some intriguing arguments to be made that the original FF jobs are AD&D 1E Oriental Adventures', well, orientalist bullshit through a mirror; monks or ninja? those are normal things normal people do, they're just real good at hitting things with normal commonly-produced weapons if any weapon at all, maybe their special abilities are magic maybe they're just smoke bombs, probably end up numerically superior in a straigh-up fight at the end! knights, though? THOSE guys are exotic, they must have all these awesome one-of-a-kinds, come with special mystic powers and alignment-locked skill trees (PLD/DRK, especially including the early-dev-phase FF3 design of knight upgrading to paladin and magic swordsman upgrading to dark swordsman, but also taking into account that SoP three decades on is the closest FF has come to distinguishing sword-and-board "knight" from Galahad expy holy magic "paladin" for players since,) get the tearful reunion-duels with their shisho as they prove they've surpassed him, etc, etc.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

Ace Transmuter posted:

My first vanilla run through the game (SNES version) I was struggling to defeat Atomos. My dumb kid solution: turn everyone into Monks. I don't know how that would've actually worked out, I must've been ridiculously overlevelled for that to work.

Can confirm. I just blasted though the floating city with a thief, white mage, and two monks at lvl 23.

I had to grind up enough cash by stealing silver bows in crescent Island for two angel rings to get past the sol cannon in a reasonable number of tries. In process, I got level 23, barely made it past sol cannon. I survived three surge beams, would not have survived 4th because white mage and thief were olded. Then the ruins dungeon was a cakewalk. Even archeoavis was relatively trivial.

Originally, third job on this typhoon run was beastmaster. I had zero desire to mess with catch so I job faired to white mage. Earth crystal was bezerker. At least with the thief , I can steal lots of useful stuff (hi potions, elixirs, war hammers, earth hammer, giants glove). Can't wait to put equip axes on the white mage and buffer underrun magic on the zerker for ned 😀

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Has anyone here done career day with FJF before? I usually play the GBA version but I'm considering giving career day a try for my next run. I've actually never played it so any recommendations for settings beyond the default to not make it too easy would be appreciated.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

I'm back in the game, baby! Standard run plus zerk risk landed me Thief, Berserker, Geomancer, and Dragoon. Thinking about hitting the job fair and ditching the Geomancer. Any recommendations?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Shyfted One posted:

Has anyone here done career day with FJF before? I usually play the GBA version but I'm considering giving career day a try for my next run. I've actually never played it so any recommendations for settings beyond the default to not make it too easy would be appreciated.

I just completed my first seed a couple weeks ago, so I'd be Interested in hearing any recommendations or tips as well. Fiesta knowledge is invaluable I can tell ya that

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

girl dick energy posted:

There Are Even Twelve Of Them
$2 for every run that gets all the tablets and, thus, all the Legendary Weapons. Screenshot of your inventory is fine for verification. Max number of runs I'll be accepting TBD, but I'm thinking $24. (Twelve of them!)

(Friendly reminder that you don't need to beat Leviathan, you can just leave after grabbing the tablet! :ssh:)

Twelve legendary weapons, as requested!

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

I'm super stoked to be doing this again for the first time in ages and I really like the new direction (and this year's charity), so I'm thinking I wanna throw down some cash for a Quadzerker :toxx:. If I offered $100 a pop for up to three runners, would anyone be interested?

CourtlyHades296
May 17, 2021

nrook posted:

:toxx: Hunting Rare Game: I will donate money for each run that defeats specific normal enemies before other specific bosses. Specifically, I'll donate $1 for each time one of the following enemies is beaten before the boss:

Garula before Living Flame
Skull Eater before Archaeoaevis
Exdeath's Soul before Stoker (the Island Shrine boss)

Of course, you still need to beat the boss, too. I'm still brainstorming, so I might come up with other ideas or change this before the fiesta actually starts. I'm welcome to other folks' ideas too.

My Onion run (Knight/Red Mage/Geomancer/Dragoon) did these, as well as a Full Power Brave Blade.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I'm a few places into the second world, rolling along. My berserker with the death scythe has saved my bacon a few times already.
Thanks for all the help!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

CourtlyHades296 posted:

as well as a Full Power Brave Blade.

7/30

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Working on the Bestiary toxx... not fun, but anything is possible with !Mix. I only had five Frost Rods after I left W1 so it was more of a slog than it should've been.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

nrook posted:

:toxx: Hunting Rare Game: I will donate money for each run that defeats specific normal enemies before other specific bosses. Specifically, I'll donate $1 for each time one of the following enemies is beaten before the boss:

King Behemoth before Azulmagia

Done! Break Blade is really really good against these guys.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FeyerbrandX posted:

One note though. PR doesn't play as nice with chemist. So that Succubus kiss or other really nice enemy targeting mixes can miss. If you're on GBA or earlier that's fine. If you're on PR you might want to reconsider starting again if you want to triplecrown or anything.
Allegedly Mix was patched back to unblockable at some point. Someone on Discord said so, so I put it back in Enkibot.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

I've thought the four job fiesta seemed like a really fun event for years and always mean to try it but seem to miss when it happens. This year with having the new Pixel Remaster on switch and actually remembering it's going on I finally decided to go for it.

First job is black mage and I'm currently bashing my head against Garula wiping my fragile party really quick. Having fun so far though, and going to persevere. This is actually my first time playing FFV at all so it should be good ride.

e: of course immediately after I post this I defeat him. And the second job is.... Berserker! :letsgo:

Jato fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jul 22, 2023

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Black Mage is great - it can smash through a huge number of the game's challenges with raw damage, but it's fragile and MP hungry enough that it has weaknesses to play around too. Berserker is just a little bit of spice on top (and an Aegis Shield, and there's actually some synergy there with Black/Rune Axe)!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

When you get to Karnak, buy all the rods :eng101:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Jato posted:

I've thought the four job fiesta seemed like a really fun event for years and always mean to try it but seem to miss when it happens. This year with having the new Pixel Remaster on switch and actually remembering it's going on I finally decided to go for it.

First job is black mage and I'm currently bashing my head against Garula wiping my fragile party really quick. Having fun so far though, and going to persevere. This is actually my first time playing FFV at all so it should be good ride.

e: of course immediately after I post this I defeat him. And the second job is.... Berserker! :letsgo:

Hell yeah, first-time-and-got-a-berserker buddy!

Bregor posted:

When you get to Karnak, buy all the rods :eng101:

Is this for everyone or just mages?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Nocheez posted:

just mages

EDIT: rods have to be equipped to be used in any capacity. The classes that can equip rods are black mage, blue mage, red mage, time mage, summoner, freelancer and mime. Any team that does not include one of those 7 jobs has no way to utilize rods.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 22, 2023

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008

Nocheez posted:

I hope you are both fortunate enough to get a bard or chemist to go with your bezerker. You would get the joy of beating omega with a bezerker 😆.

You could also equip harps on the bezerker and let him go to town on bezerker shinryuu.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Internet Savant posted:

I hope you are both fortunate enough to get a bard or chemist to go with your bezerker. You would get the joy of beating omega with a bezerker 😆.

You could also equip harps on the bezerker and let him go to town on bezerker shinryuu.

I actually did get the chemist! I've been rolling right along, enjoying the game's story unfolding. I'm about halfway through world 2, give or take.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
My second run consisting of thief, monk, bezerker, white mage is such a slog of a run. Lots of single target damage. Just have to get to thornlet and giants glove so I can buffer underrun the bezerker....

To give an idea of the slog, I had two characters die at Atmos. One got sucked to another dimension. Fortunately, it's not permanent and they come back after the fight.

Currently in Guido's cave and only the thief and bezerker can use air knives 😐

I do have four flame rings and 4 angel rings and a solid start on the genji set though 😀

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
It never clicked for me until now that Mime is also a heavy armor job. Made Garula a lot easier than I was expecting.

E: Thoughts on how mime/freelancer/THF/MK will turn out, as of getting THF:

- A party of all Mimes is a very interesting tactical niche for offline FF. No offense, all defense, where every other heavy armor class gets some sort of mid- to heavy weapon. This only becomes more noticeable when Freelancer comes along; the Karnak 500 was probably my high mark of "huh that's kinda broken", with four fully-armored characters using four top-of-the-line back row OK weapons.
- !Mimic seens almost completely useless this game in battles that aren't Liquid Flame/Byblos; I will get exactly for actives, one of which can only be used once a battle, two of which have no cost, and one of which has a very small cost. It came in handy before Hi-Potions for focus-firing regular pots on someone who had gotten focused fired, but now I'm back to one-item fullheals, and by the time I'm much over 500 HP I will have Drain. It does mean that whichever character stays in Mime doesn't have to worry about not having dipped out yet, but eh.
- All the oddball weapons work out very well for me. I actually went and robbed a Sand Bear and the Javelin is serving me well, through midgame I'm going to have two with Death Sickles into three with Twin Lances.
- Fork Tower will be needed for Flare. Last couple tablets, eh, if the challenge is still open.
- I don't want to deal with NED's enrage, and with nothing that passes down a notable stamina stat I don't want to deal with Almagest. I can Break the Almagest part, but my only fast solution to another part is gonna be the lamp.
- Lategame the MK and especially the THF will be pretty poo poo. MK could take !Mug and a CK, but won't have the AGI boost, so down to Enhancer it is unless I need a very specific weapon on the freelancer; THF is stuck with without one of !Mug or !Spellblade, and will only have light armor.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 23, 2023

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
MK has such little need for MP that you can just give them the Rune Blade, pop Flare Sword and enjoy the grits.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mystic Knight is one of the most broken jobs in the game. Spend some time looking up enemy weaknesses and you'll clean up.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Was very confused for certain parts of that post because I initially parsed MK as monk.

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013

Ace Transmuter posted:

MK has such little need for MP that you can just give them the Rune Blade, pop Flare Sword and enjoy the grits.

Rune Blade can't be spellbladed.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Chicken Knife Mug Thief isn't bad at all. It's not flashy, but it's honest damage!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Android Blues posted:

Chicken Knife Mug Thief isn't bad at all. It's not flashy, but it's honest damage!

As someone who is currently Chicken Knife !Jumping, I am jealous. But then again I also have a Blue Mage and a Chemist so don’t feel bad for me :v:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I've never found spellblade that useful for random encounters because frankly any increase in damage from spellblade will be offsetting the turn spent using spellblade, which could have just been spent swinging at the enemy.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Nihilarian posted:

I've never found spellblade that useful for random encounters because frankly any increase in damage from spellblade will be offsetting the turn spent using spellblade, which could have just been spent swinging at the enemy.

Yeah, same, although I think there's a stretch once you get Break where this changes, depending on team composition. I like Mystic fine but it spends a good number of encounters being ok-ish damage, good HP, and a shield, especially in the doldrums before you get the Enhancer and the Rune Edge.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Mandoric posted:

- Lategame the MK and especially the THF will be pretty poo poo. MK could take !Mug and a CK, but won't have the AGI boost, so down to Enhancer it is unless I need a very specific weapon on the freelancer; THF is stuck with without one of !Mug or !Spellblade, and will only have light armor.

MK is tied for second on agility, +14 vs thief's +16, so most of the time should have the same M as your freelancer or mime with CK. That said you probably want CK on your mime, a knight sword on free and enhancer on MK.

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 23, 2023

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Nihilarian posted:

In a lot of cases, yes, but if you're hunting turtles in world 2 or going through the Undersea Trench it's a big help. But you probably shouldn't be fighting most random encounters anyway.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ultrafilter posted:

you probably shouldn't be fighting most random encounters anyway.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Unreal_One posted:

MK is tied for second on agility, +14 vs thief's +16, so most of the time should have the same M as your freelancer or mime with CK. That said you probably want CK on your mime, a knight sword on free and enhancer on MK.

PR, so I get two (or do the extremely dumb thing of BB for free and CK for mime followed by a solid 500 or so fights without running.) I didn't think of MK's good AGI, but still, "never having worse M" beats "sometimes having worse M", and there's not really anything else that hot I can put on the Mime other than maybe Twin Lance.

... Hmm, the usual big problem with Twin Lance is usually that defense actually exists on later fights and it hurts two 61 attack hits a lot worse than one ~100 attack, I might have to do some experimenting with Flare as potential a way to give the second CK over to the MK.

For normal fights, they're normal fights and again PR so press □ and wait for win or !Flee, but hmm. Walking-around config might end up CKs/!Mug on the MK and THF, Twin Lance on Mime, Masamune or something on Freelancer. Excalibur's an option too for having a sword to cast on if I need to assume control.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 23, 2023

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

ArashiKurobara posted:

Rune Blade can't be spellbladed.

Well that figures

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Much like the Rune Chime, it is secretly An AxeTM

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Cattail Prophet posted:

Much like the Rune Chime, it is secretly An AxeTM

Come Play Final Fantasy V, we have:

- Knives that are Spears™
- Swords that are Axes™
- Four flavors of instant death
- FRIEND

Bregor
May 31, 2013

nrook posted:

:toxx: Hunting Rare Game

Not sure if you’re still counting (also I forgot screenshots) but yesterday I killed Stingray right after I got the airship back. Also now I have Mighty Guard and am indestructible :doit:

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
Typhoon Run #2 with a monk, thief, bezerker, white mage completed!
I job faired the white mage after getting a beast master for the fire crystal. Wasn't necessarily in a lot of party wipe danger, but slow run overall. I didn't bother with omega.

NED Grand cross was rough, dispel from NED rough, and Almagest rough because I needed to insure I had shell and image up all the time along with the cure 3 train. That was tough.

For the NED fight, magic underflowed the bezerker with thornlet and earth hammer for my only reliable source of AoE damage. Then lots of support and holy and magic lamp abuse.

Magic underflow with the rune axe, thornlet and giants glove is very nice for boss fights. The bezerker was probably my biggest single target damage dealer in that situation.

Beat shinryuu on first try too. Bezerker and image from everyone else, and let the bezerker do her rune axe thing. Getting the shinryuu screenshot is difficult...

Edit , I must be missing something on imgur, can't get it to work properly? Anyone have any guidance? I keep getting file type invalid

Internet Savant fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
Done early for once! And did my first Triple Crown, too. Chemist is as good as they say...

Mustached Demon posted:

:toxx:

$2 for every pridefully named buttz up to $100
Not sure if there's been more than 50 of these already, but...