Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011
Can anyone recommend an English-language book on Vauban?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Does anyone have any favorites that would fulfill this:

A video in Youtube or somewhere else of 5-15 minutes in length, meant to show with drawings or animations how line battles of the napoleonic era worked and why staying in the line was important for morale and cohesion and for example how cavalry would decimate runaways?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Vahakyla posted:

Does anyone have any favorites that would fulfill this:

A video in Youtube or somewhere else of 5-15 minutes in length, meant to show with drawings or animations how line battles of the napoleonic era worked and why staying in the line was important for morale and cohesion and for example how cavalry would decimate runaways?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl7ElFROgts

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Thank you so much! It is precisely what I wanted. I wonder why I didn’t find that, but you hit it out of the park.

It’ll be used!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Stealing this from another thread because you all will love it:

bulletsponge13 posted:

Just stumbled onto this mock Hardcore History bit-
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CuUikGhAdyH/?igshid=YmM0MjE2YWMzOA=

I needed to share it with people who would appreciate it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Also stolen from elsewhere for pretty much the same reason:

quote:

various soviet solders discovering stupidly made nazi winter boots, making fun of them and feeding it to horses.

edit: looking at the tank I'm guessing this was the winter '41 counteroffensive, in which case its' when the Germans were in full "gently caress it, send women's fur coats" mode re: Russia is cold in winter, actually.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Cyrano4747 posted:

edit: looking at the tank I'm guessing this was the winter '41 counteroffensive, in which case its' when the Germans were in full "gently caress it, send women's fur coats" mode re: Russia is cold in winter, actually.

Brits made the same surprising discovery in Crimea :wotwot: Apparently the French were better prepared, I don't know if they knew some people who had experienced Russian winter?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

Also stolen from elsewhere for pretty much the same reason:

There's spaced armour on that Pz.Kpfw.III, so this is already the winter of 1942-43.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

bulletsponge13 posted:

Just stumbled onto this mock Hardcore History bit-
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CuUikGhAdyH/?igshid=YmM0MjE2YWMzOA=

I needed to share it with people who would appreciate it.

I am so happy right now

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Speaking of Soviets, this is something of a question that combines history and current. How much of the Cold War is present in the war in Ukraine right now? In terms of equipment and personnel on both sides.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
This is not the thread for current events, there are like a dozen Ukraine war threads on SA to ask this question.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

two fish posted:

Speaking of Soviets, this is something of a question that combines history and current. How much of the Cold War is present in the war in Ukraine right now? In terms of equipment and personnel on both sides.

Ask here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3910801&pagenumber=1305#lastpost

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Ah okay, sorry about that! New here, didn't know.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Cyrano4747 posted:

I was giggling over here by midway, but then had to explain why I was mad at the end because "punch-drunk boxers" did not come up once.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Nenonen posted:

who the gently caress was Caesar.

Well?? :mad:

I'm actually kind of curious how he's covered in a Finnish curriculum :shobon:

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

The bad guy in Asterix.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

Fuschia tude posted:

Well?? :mad:

I'm actually kind of curious how he's covered in a Finnish curriculum :shobon:

The Finnish national curriculum is famously non-specific, leaving a ton for the teacher to decide. Google Translate does a valiant effort with the curriculum page here: https://eperusteet.opintopolku.fi/#/fi/perusopetus/419550/oppiaineet/466345 but here's the main bit translated:

quote:

Grades 3-6: The purpose of history teaching is to familiarise students with the nature of historical knowledge, the acquisition of knowledge and basic concepts. The aim is to arouse pupils' interest in the past, in human activity, its meaning and understanding. The teaching of the content defined in the foundations emphasises the use of functional and experiential methods.

Content areas :
S1 Prehistoric times and the birth of civilisation
S2 Antiquity and the ancient heritage
S3 The Middle Ages
S4 The transition to the modern era
S5 Finland as part of Sweden

quote:

Grades 7-9: the task of history teaching is to deepen students' understanding of the nature of historical knowledge. The teaching supports the development of students' own identity and familiarizes them with the effects of cultures on individuals and societies. Teaching emphasizes interactive and investigative working methods.

Content areas:
S1 The birth and development of industrial society
S2 People change the world
S3 Finland is created, built and defended
S4 Time of Great Wars
S5 Building a welfare society
S6: The roots of current world politics

Schooling starts at age 7, so grade 3 is about age 10.

E: Here's the "what teaching history is about" bit:

quote:

The role of history education is to develop students' knowledge of history and cultures and to encourage them to adopt the principles of responsible citizenship. Through knowledge of the past, pupils are guided to understand the developments that have led to the present, the value of intellectual and material work and to reflect on the choices they will have to make in the future. They are guided to see the importance of the individual as a historical actor and to understand the factors and motivations behind action. The aim is to support the development of pupils' identities and help them to grow as active members of society who understand diversity.

In history, students will focus on the critical analysis of information produced by different actors and on the dimensions of historical sources. They also delve into the premise of historical research, which seeks to form as reliable a picture of the past as possible on the basis of the available evidence. The aim is to develop textual skills in history: the ability to read and analyse sources produced by actors in the past and to make valid interpretations of their meaning and significance.

Students are guided to understand the interpretative and multi-perspectival nature of history and to explain change and continuity in historical development. History teaching helps pupils to identify values in society, the tensions between values and the changes that have taken place in society over time.

Loezi fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 17, 2023

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
In actuality we just study the life and accomplishments of Simo Häyhä for nine years.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Loezi posted:

The Finnish national curriculum is famously non-specific, leaving a ton for the teacher to decide. Google Translate does a valiant effort with the curriculum page here: https://eperusteet.opintopolku.fi/#/fi/perusopetus/419550/oppiaineet/466345 but here's the main bit translated:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm a bit sad they left out the inevitable "like two punch-drunk boxers" analogy that Carlin uses in Every. Single. Podcast.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

two fish posted:

That's interesting, thank you!

But what I meant was a chart like this, something similar to which you would often see in American history textbooks growing up, except with maybe a little more formal formatting:

Do they have these for the Chancellors of Germany in history textbooks for kids, and if so, who's on it?

I doubt it, if mostly for the fact that this sort of thing isn't really done in northern Europe. If someone tried that here in Denmark, they'd be criticized for focusing on people rather than teaching periods. Conservative politicians sometimes suggest a 'canon' for teaching history with focus on strong leaders, but are laughed at because it's just not the done thing, you know - and we're a lot more nationalistic than the Germans are.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I never had to learn them but for older generations in the UK I remember hearing about mnemonics to memorize the names of every king/queen in sequence. Since presidents swap out every 4-8 years compared to sometimes decades per monarch it’s not like it’s such a difference in the number of figures, I feel like.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Willy, Willy, Harry, Ste; Harry, Dick, John, Harry three..

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Loezi posted:

E: Here's the "what teaching history is about" bit:

So you start learning history, but you never Finnish?

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

two fish posted:

That's interesting, thank you!

But what I meant was a chart like this, something similar to which you would often see in American history textbooks growing up, except with maybe a little more formal formatting:

Do they have these for the Chancellors of Germany in history textbooks for kids, and if so, who's on it?
Not as prominent as American presidents, but you can find things like this:

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin

DTurtle posted:

what is wrong with second from the right, bottom row? his face is all hosed up.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I mean, it's more a contest to find someone who DOESN'T look jacked up. There are some loving foreheads in there, my god.

Also that's just an extraordinarily bad phot of Ludwig Erhard, the 2nd post-war Chancellor. He was jut a kind of standard issue fat Bavarian, but man they caught him looking like a bridge troll there.

Here are a couple more normal ones swiped from Wikipedia:

Also, a biography of him was the single most boring book I had to read in grad school. Even my advisor, who was running the class where it was assigned, said that it was more to make sure we had practice quickly extracting needed information from crap we shouldn't bother reading.

edit: also looking at that line of of Chancellors, I had no idea that Colin Robinson from What We Do In the Shadows took over for Merkle. I mean it makes total sense in retrospect.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Old and German genes?

I can think of a few relatives and some olds in my 'hometown' that look pretty similar. It ain't the years, its the mileage (and schnapps).

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

DTurtle posted:

Left to right, top to bottom (also reverse chronological order)

1) Colin Robinson, energy vampire
2) your fourth grade teacher's mugshot
3) eyebrow ridges as forehead armor
4) Gary Gurgich
5) Lurch on Pervitin
6) Jack Nicholson's Joker understudy
7) there had to be at least one normal one
8) fat gollum
9) Konrad Adenauer, actual vampire

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

4) Gary Gurgich
5) Lurch on Pervitin
8) fat gollum

:golfclap:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

samcarsten posted:

what is wrong with second from the right, bottom row? his face is all hosed up.
They call it schnitzel on the street. Take a veal or chicken cutlet, hammer it til it's flat as a comic book. Bread it and fry it... same as they fryin their brains.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Cyrano4747 posted:

4) Gary Gurgich
5) Lurch on Pervitin
8) fat gollum

9 looks like Peter Cushing and Werner Herzog simultaneously

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Koramei posted:

I never had to learn them but for older generations in the UK I remember hearing about mnemonics to memorize the names of every king/queen in sequence. Since presidents swap out every 4-8 years compared to sometimes decades per monarch it’s not like it’s such a difference in the number of figures, I feel like.

Do they start counting "English kings" from 1066, or do they include earlier ones in that list? I'm not even sure how nationalists break down on categorizations like that when you go back that far.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I thought they started at Alfred

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
8) Weinstein Kirchberg

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
The 30cm wooden rulers with all the monarchs on that you can buy in every single gift shop here start with Edward the Confessor in 1042, so that's canon.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Fuschia tude posted:

Do they start counting "English kings" from 1066, or do they include earlier ones in that list? I'm not even sure how nationalists break down on categorizations like that when you go back that far.

My schooling (UK from the early 1990s) considered 1066 as the start of the monarchy line of succession. Our history education started with the Norman Conquest and went through chronologically from ages 7 to 11 from then to the English Civil War (had I stayed at that school until 16 it would have ended with WW1).

There were various posters/charts of the English/British monarchs in the history classrooms and they all ran from Will 1 to Liz 2. As part of the Norman Conquest we learnt about Edward the Confessor and Harold Godwinson, but only is as much as they had roles in the Conquest.

This was a private (and not following the national curriculum) school in the south of England, so is almost certainly not typical. I doubt kids in Scotland learn about William Rufus and so on.

Since we were between Southampton and Winchester we did cover a bit of Saxon kings when we learnt Local History (covered as a separate subject to just 'History') but only is as much as Alfred the Great and going to the spot in Southampton where Canute supposedly failed to turn back the tide. But that was very incidental stuff.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
What I remember of school history is that we just learned about specific periods where interesting stuff happened. For example, there was an unit on 1066, one on the Tudors, another unit on WWII etc.

I don't think 99.9% of brits can even name every 20th century prime minister.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Fangz posted:

What I remember of school history is that we just learned about specific periods where interesting stuff happened. For example, there was an unit on 1066, one on the Tudors, another unit on WWII etc.

I don't think 99.9% of brits can even name every 20th century prime minister.

yeah, except I think between primary and secondary school I had the tudor unit like three different times. I don't remember any attempt to connect the units or put them in some kind of broader narrative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

yeah, except I think between primary and secondary school I had the tudor unit like three different times. I don't remember any attempt to connect the units or put them in some kind of broader narrative

This is just history_teaching.txt and frankly it's fine. In the US it's basically colonies/revolution -> Civil War -> WW2 (brief interlude on WW1) -> Cold War, a little Vietnam, but it's the end of the school year so it gets cut short. That's at least how it was for me in the early 00s, maybe they throw in ten minutes on 9/11 so tomorrow's enlistees can understand why they're the third generation of Operation Bomb Worthless Dirt.

Pedagogically, there are two things going on here:

1) your average person doesn't need to know every last little bit of their nation's history, it's far more important to focus on the big things that were majorly defining so that you understand the cultural and political context you live in. An American in the 2020s should have at least a basic grasp of the Revolution and the Civil War, for example, so that if nothing else they know what the constitution is and how black people kinda got hosed. WW2 is important to know about because it's the foundation for all american foreign policy since then. That kind of poo poo.

2) is because you have to teach this stuff differently at different levels, as the children mature and can handle both more complex topics and some of the moral ambiguities of history. Take the founding fathers and the Revolution as an example: a 4th grader really needs a basic primer on how George Washington and Thomas Jefferson were people that existed, what the gently caress democracy is, and frankly the sunshine and rainbows version of how there are basic rights enshrined in our constitution. An 8th grader can handle some more complex details of all that, and by the time you get to a 12th grader you absolutely should be teaching them about the fundamental problems with that system, pointing out how all the people who were writing this poo poo owned slaves, and underscoring the injustices baked in from the beginning. Along with that goes increasingly complex lesson plans with different learning objectives, e.g. moving from a basic report to something approximating a thesis driven essay.

edit: Now, should that be put in a broader narrative? Sure, but likely only in relation to the other things. If you're drawing the through-line from the ACW to WW1/WW2 you don't really need to get into the weeds with Grant's presidency or the Teapot Dome scandal, but it helps if you do a quick unit on the Industrial Revolution and Jim Crow. There should be SOME connective tissue there, but it's the transition that you use to get from one big set piece to the next.