Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

feelix posted:

Was chappelles show actually good or were we just stupid children when it came out

It was really good at its peak.

Now some of the best and most famous bits did get heavy contributions from the guests, like Wayne Brady and the story telling ability of Charlie Murphy. But assuming Dave mainly wrote the skits, he gets credit, the whole engine driving the Wayne Brady bit is the concept, the contrast between his squeaky clean persona and what they portrayed, and the way the True Hollywood Stories are written and laid out is great. Kneehigh Park is one of my favorites too.

I have just rewatched some of these lately and they are still great bits.

I agree with whoever commented about “cancel culture” bits. First, it is hackneyed, tired and unfunny. Secondly it is pandering to the worst pieces of crap around. Thus I am instantly turned off when one of these begin and will stop watching whoever it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Sometime after Charlie Murphy had died and before Chappelle decided he wasn't going to hide his transphobia any more, I rewatched the Rick James "True Hollywood Stories" sketch. And as much Chappelle sucks now, he was absolutely golden in that particular sketch. Charlie even mentioned in various interviews that he felt Chappelle really captured Rick James' character, and that was before they'd ever even met. So yeah, there were some legitimately good sketches on that show.

He had good writers at the time. And it should be noted that those skits were stories other more famous people were telling the crew. It's not hard to be funny if someone else is giving you the material and you have a writing staff to make it workable.

Dude really is like Elon Musk in taking credit for other people's work.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Archonex posted:

He had good writers at the time. And it should be noted that those skits were stories other more famous people were telling the crew. It's not hard to be funny if someone else is giving you the material and you have a writing staff to make it workable.

Dude really is like Elon Musk in taking credit for other people's work.

To be fair to Chappelle, I don't think he took any credit for the Rick James sketch at the time. It was Charlie Murphy himself who said that Chappelle did an amazing job playing Rick James, and he said that several times in interviews after the show had ended and he was already a successful standup comic and actor in his own right, so it's not like he had a reason to kiss Chappelle's rear end or anything. If Chappelle was going around bragging about his performance as RJ, then I'd agree with you.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I always enjoy that skit which was 'what if they treated white collar criminals the way they treat everyone else' and they reverse it for the Chappelle drug dealer character

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

holtemon posted:

Oh and the Wayne Brady one too that one was pretty good, mostly because of Wayne Brady though

The Wayne Brady one was ok, then got really good when he was on SG-1 and actually did choke someone.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
This bores me. Anyone up for a game of basketball?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Elon would be a BASEketball guy.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

DeeplyConcerned posted:

https://i.imgur.com/JKcV4Nn.mp4

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i enjoyed most of chapelle show back when it was first on but yeah humor has clearly changed since then.

also charlie murphy's stories are better than like 90% of the sketches chapelle wrote and those are really the only bits that still hold up today. they are also responsible for most of the show's success in the first place since thats where the whole "im rick james, bitch!" thing came from

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Sydney Bottocks posted:

To be fair to Chappelle, I don't think he took any credit for the Rick James sketch at the time. It was Charlie Murphy himself who said that Chappelle did an amazing job playing Rick James, and he said that several times in interviews after the show had ended and he was already a successful standup comic and actor in his own right, so it's not like he had a reason to kiss Chappelle's rear end or anything. If Chappelle was going around bragging about his performance as RJ, then I'd agree with you.

He's literally coasting off of his fame from that work. He might never have vocally taken credit for it but he sure as poo poo sold out all those transphobic hate rallies he called stand up comedy on the basis of his past work.

Ditto for credulous rubes giving him credit and running cover for him alongside all the bigots that know what the score really is, and that he's willing to be the PoC male transphobe version of a pick me so long as it makes him a buck and a NIMBY mansion.

He sure as poo poo would have to be daft to not notice how a lot of his current audience is going to have opinions about him as a black person the second he stops being useful to them.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 17, 2023

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean yes no one would try and do everything in their power to pretend they had nothing to do with the success of their own show

Archonex
May 2, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean yes no one would try and do everything in their power to pretend they had nothing to do with the success of their own show

So you can't say that he didn't take credit for it. At best he's literally passively doing so to push hate speech.

And given his fragile (again, another Musk and Trump like trait) ego that has him lashing out when anyone gives him the slightest pushback asking him to not be a bigoted shithead i'd bet there's some interview somewhere where he's bragging about it despite just telling the story someone else made.

There's a pattern with those types of bastard and after you've seen a few you can reliably predict most of them.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 17, 2023

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The Wayne Brady, Clayton Bisgsby are there only other ones I remember clearly. But he had a reparations skit I think and the skit where the 'modern solutions' meme came from.

Everything else mostly forgettable.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

chapelle was good at playing rick james i agree, chapelle is a funny actor but it also kind of shows that he's not much of a comedy writer, the humor comes from charlie's storytelling and the idea that rick james actually really said and did all this poo poo, which he probably did. and those are the bits from the show that still really hold up imo, rick james loving up eddie murphy's couch, prince challenging charlie murphy to a game of basketball etc. and again yeah chapelle was funny enough playing prince but the humor comes from the story itself. and that one is probably true too, you wouldnt think it to look at him but prince was considered a good basketball player in his youth.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 17, 2023

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

DeeplyConcerned posted:

game... blouses

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Throwing on a season of Key & Peele wayyy before id rewatch Chappelle show.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

bobjr posted:

Even when the topic isn’t something racist or transphobic there’s no bigger turnoff right now when I listen to a comedian and they go on a cancel culture bit.
I saw a clip of Brian Cox talking that poo poo on Piers Morgan right after finishing Shccession and I was so loving disappointed. He 100% touched someone he shouldn’t have.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Neal Brennan was his writing partner for the show and I think during his 3 Mics special he mentioned that he'll never disclose which sketches were his or Dave's. So Dave can't even get full credit for all of the good bits because they are possibly not even his. 3 Mics a good special though

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Archonex posted:

So you can't say that he didn't take credit for it. At best he's literally passively doing so to push hate speech.

And given his fragile (again, another Musk and Trump like trait) ego that has him lashing out when anyone gives him the slightest pushback asking him to not be a bigoted shithead i'd bet there's some interview somewhere where he's bragging about it despite just telling the story someone else made.

There's a pattern with those types of bastard and after you've seen a few you can reliably predict most of them.

I mean yes it would be extremely weird if he didn’t take credit for his show and people would call it false modesty, which it absolutely would be

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

George H.W. oval office posted:

Neal Brennan was his writing partner for the show and I think during his 3 Mics special he mentioned that he'll never disclose which sketches were his or Dave's. So Dave can't even get full credit for all of the good bits because they are possibly not even his. 3 Mics a good special though

Neal is a genius of a writer and sadly doesn't get the credit he deserves.

He has a Youtube Channel that he has got some incredible guests on recently and hasn't been afraid to dig deep on interesting subjects. For example he has had both Letterman and Leno on recently and dug deep into both of their issues with each other. I highly recommend it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Didn't R. Kelly get really mad at Chappelle when he did the "Piss On You" parody song?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I. M. Gei posted:

Didn't R. Kelly get really mad at Chappelle when he did the "Piss On You" parody song?
I'm sure he did, but now he's in jail where he belongs

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

I. M. Gei posted:

Yeah but he probably liked the attention towards that because it made people forget he started raping Aaliyah when she was 13.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

priznat posted:

I enjoy watching comedian trajectories and how some just face plant while others (like Wanda) seem to get better with time. Bill Burr is the fascinating example of someone who plays around with some of the concepts of race, wokeness and "cancel culture" while really raising a lot of good points and not punching down on people. Looking at the guy you probably would NOT have expected how his trajectory went lol. Although there were some good hints early in his career like when he want on the Shaq comedy jam show in front of a 95% black audience and killed on a bit about race and "you know the n word is coming when.." I watch that bit every once in a while it's amazing.

Burr you would 100% assume goes the same lovely chuddy trajectory into grumpy old man humor but he's actually touched on some hot button topics in a really funny and interesting way without bitching about people getting offended. Because people are laughing, because he's actually *funny*.

beepo posted:

The high points of the show are still really funny, but there is a ton of stuff that is either just lazy broad stereotypes without adding any interesting twists or making any points, or jokes that feel like unpolished, 'let's just improvise something on set' level punchlines.

The bit where he walks around NYC and gives women ribbons for having "Great New York Boobs" aged like milk

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

MunchE posted:

Burr you would 100% assume goes the same lovely chuddy trajectory into grumpy old man humor but he's actually touched on some hot button topics in a really funny and interesting way without bitching about people getting offended. Because people are laughing, because he's actually *funny*.

Yeah he owns. I sometimes listen to his podcast which is a lot of him just kind of figuring things out for himself and talking to people and he seems like a real introspective, smart dude. Can he get a bit crude sometimes? absolutely! One of the real impressive things in his shows is how he walks a highwire where you don't know how he's gonna bring a joke in without it being reeeeeeeeal bad but he always manages it. I've told a bunch of people to watch his netflix specials when they skipped over it thinking it would be some joe rogan level dunderheadery complaining about "woke culture" just based on how he looks, and they're all fans of his now.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Burr's tv show was really humble?

Like it's semi autobigraphical, but he plays a dickhead macho-masking father. He is at least capable of some level of introspection, not perfect. But can you imagine the Elon Musk show?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah F is for Family, that was a good show.

The Musk show would be like Big Bang Theory but somehow even LESS funny. And there would be only one super genius

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I'm kinda curious though

Like, I interact with kids a fair bit in my day job, and you get the occasional kid who thrives on 'second-hand' attention(?) Like being the in the peanut gallery, or heckling or W/E and it has real musk energy

Musk gets to looks smart by exploiting the right of reply to anything he chooses (looking into it, concerning, !) But actually getting a coherent original thought out of him to make a season of a tv show is a funny idea.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

Archonex posted:

He's literally coasting off of his fame from that work. He might never have vocally taken credit for it but he sure as poo poo sold out all those transphobic hate rallies he called stand up comedy on the basis of his past work.

Ditto for credulous rubes giving him credit and running cover for him alongside all the bigots that know what the score really is, and that he's willing to be the PoC male transphobe version of a pick me so long as it makes him a buck and a NIMBY mansion.

He sure as poo poo would have to be daft to not notice how a lot of his current audience is going to have opinions about him as a black person the second he stops being useful to them.

Killing them softly was a killer special. He was funny as gently caress. Just not anymore.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
big bang theory but with Meme Game instead of nerd pop culture sounds absolutely atrocious

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

priznat posted:

Yeah he owns. I sometimes listen to his podcast which is a lot of him just kind of figuring things out for himself and talking to people and he seems like a real introspective, smart dude. Can he get a bit crude sometimes? absolutely! One of the real impressive things in his shows is how he walks a highwire where you don't know how he's gonna bring a joke in without it being reeeeeeeeal bad but he always manages it. I've told a bunch of people to watch his netflix specials when they skipped over it thinking it would be some joe rogan level dunderheadery complaining about "woke culture" just based on how he looks, and they're all fans of his now.

Honestly, I did think Bill Burr was probably some Joe Rohan level dunderheadery, but purely on that same assumption you just pointed out, because he really looks like he would be/should be part of that club. If I've accidentally chud-jacketed him, then I'll try one of his specials and see about setting the record straight.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

feelix posted:

Was chappelles show actually good or were we just stupid children when it came out

It was really good.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

Parkingtigers posted:

Honestly, I did think Bill Burr was probably some Joe Rohan level dunderheadery, but purely on that same assumption you just pointed out, because he really looks like he would be/should be part of that club. If I've accidentally chud-jacketed him, then I'll try one of his specials and see about setting the record straight.

So you judged someone's character based upon "he really looks like he would/should be part of that club"? Kind of text book prejudice.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/Dexerto/status/1681055516548558850

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

"Thratads"

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

feelix posted:

Does it matter? I do think sketch and tv comedy is always weird and not funny in retrospect.

Comedians are big whiney babies and more so when they get old. Even Carlin became an angry old man. Pryor was barely funny after his immolation. I'm glad he got sick and quit.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Dubplate Fire posted:

Killing them softly was a killer special. He was funny as gently caress. Just not anymore.

lol at the part where he did the voice of Big Boss from the hit television show C.O.P.S.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I feel like "a high rate limit to counter spambots, but that might get some false positives on really active humans" is a very different thing from "arbitrary cutoffs imposed on all users because we didn't pay our cloud bill."

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

temple posted:

Pryor was barely funny after his immolation. I'm glad he got sick and quit.

Can someone drive me to the hospital, I think I sliced a tendon on this super edgy take

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Incitatus posted:

So you judged someone's character based upon "he really looks like he would/should be part of that club"? Kind of text book prejudice.

Hey but they’re learning and willing to give him a shot!

Burr does go on Rogan too but he pushes back against a lot of the idiocy and you can tell he is pretty good about when to pick a battle and when to just say/think “this fuckin guy” and let it go.