Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ok Comboomer posted:

It’s Capitalism Day. Today is the day that Amazon and their competitors like BH/Adorama/Costco/Best Buy/etc all have a buttload of sales. So if you were in the market for a MBP, now would be a time to look

Ha yeah I know it's Prime Day, I just hadn't seen any iMac sales

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Woot has the M1 Pro 16inch 16gb/512 for $1499 again

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

BonoMan posted:

Ha yeah I know it's Prime Day, I just hadn't seen any iMac sales

lol oh wait you’re the iMac guy not the MacBook guy

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The $750 MacBook Air (and getting a Mac Studio later for the power tasks) is tempting. Ugh

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Has anybody had issues with sending audio from a Mac to a homepod? For the life of me my 2018 Mini will not connect to my homepod no matter what. 99% of the time I select the homepod in the dropdown it just tries to and then fails with a generic cannot connect message. I bought Airparrot and funnily it works every time. But after a while the audio starts to get really choppy.

The mac is connected via ethernet and wifi, all the other stuff like iMessage and facetime with my phone work fine. Both the mac and the homepod are right next to the AP too.

My M1 mac does it fine and like every other iOS device can do it, like I can stream audio to it from my ipad or phone all day no issues. Googling this even with reddit flags doesn't bring up anything.

Just one of those Apple 'It just works, but when it doesn't it's impossible to figure out why' things

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

track day bro! posted:

Has anybody had issues with sending audio from a Mac to a homepod? For the life of me my 2018 Mini will not connect to my homepod no matter what. 99% of the time I select the homepod in the dropdown it just tries to and then fails with a generic cannot connect message. I bought Airparrot and funnily it works every time. But after a while the audio starts to get really choppy.

The mac is connected via ethernet and wifi, all the other stuff like iMessage and facetime with my phone work fine. Both the mac and the homepod are right next to the AP too.

My M1 mac does it fine and like every other iOS device can do it, like I can stream audio to it from my ipad or phone all day no issues. Googling this even with reddit flags doesn't bring up anything.

Just one of those Apple 'It just works, but when it doesn't it's impossible to figure out why' things

Silly questions, the mini and the homepod are on the same network, and there is nothing blocking them from communicating?
Have you done a resetup on the homepod? We had issues last year with Siri acting weird, and one of the suggestions was to do a resetup. It did improve things, and worth a shot.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Rawrbomb posted:

Silly questions, the mini and the homepod are on the same network, and there is nothing blocking them from communicating?
Have you done a resetup on the homepod? We had issues last year with Siri acting weird, and one of the suggestions was to do a resetup. It did improve things, and worth a shot.

Yeah it's on the same network, I have a mesh network with one of the repeaters out in my office and I can see that both the homepod and mac are connected to that. I guess I should try and reset the homepod, I kinda didn't want to because I've been using it to control some smart switches but I'm not using them atm anyway.

It's funny because yesterday when I made the post I tried it and it worked instantly, today I tried it and nope not happening.

Actually thinking about it also for some reason the homepod doesn't appear at all in the home app either, but shows up on my M1 MBP. Like nothing appears in the home app on this mac even though everythings signed in exactly the same way.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

track day bro! posted:

Yeah it's on the same network, I have a mesh network with one of the repeaters out in my office and I can see that both the homepod and mac are connected to that. I guess I should try and reset the homepod, I kinda didn't want to because I've been using it to control some smart switches but I'm not using them atm anyway.

It's funny because yesterday when I made the post I tried it and it worked instantly, today I tried it and nope not happening.

Actually thinking about it also for some reason the homepod doesn't appear at all in the home app either, but shows up on my M1 MBP. Like nothing appears in the home app on this mac even though everythings signed in exactly the same way.

It’s just HomePod things.

I love my HomePods but holy poo poo are they frustrating sometimes.

They will show up for casting on my phone but not my wife’s or they will show up but then won’t actually cast when you try it.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
Yeah my homepod mini works great with my iPhone but not too great w/ my mac. If I stream directly from Safari on my mac it's generally ok but streaming all audio to it there results in a lot of lag despite my network being very good. I wish I could force it into a bluetooth mode instead of Airplay because I have zero issues with my airpods or my bluetooth speakers.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I used to think AirPlay was superior to Bluetooth. Then I got a HomePod.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
To be fair to Airplay, Bluetooth used to be complete and utter garbage. It's improved immensely over the years to the point where it never gives me issues and I never really see IT at my company having to deal with Bluetooth issues anymore.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol oh wait you’re the iMac guy not the MacBook guy

Oh man Woot has a factory refurb'd model for $1049 8-core GPU and 512gb. About $250 cheaper than Apple's refurb store.

I checked with Woot and this is an Apple refurb and not some third party. Seems like a great deal if I don't want to wait?

https://computers.woot.com/offers/apple-24-imac-m1-chip-8x8-core-2021z-2

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Oh man Woot has a factory refurb'd model for $1049 8-core GPU and 512gb. About $250 cheaper than Apple's refurb store.

I checked with Woot and this is an Apple refurb and not some third party. Seems like a great deal if I don't want to wait?

Yeah I bought a factory refurbished 16 from woot and it was perfect. I wouldn’t hesitate if it’s what you want.

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

BonoMan posted:

Is 8 GB of ram enough for you?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Apex Rogers posted:

Is 8 GB of ram enough for you?

Nope lol I totally overlooked that

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I got a Dell 1440p 144hz monitor that id like to plug a M2 MBA into. That machine can output 144hz, right? Any recommended usb-c docks that can output that?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Head Bee Guy posted:

I got a Dell 1440p 144hz monitor that id like to plug a M2 MBA into. That machine can output 144hz, right? Any recommended usb-c docks that can output that?

i have to assume, my m1 mini can

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Head Bee Guy posted:

can't you use the monitor as the dock?

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
e: a new dumb post

my 1440p 144hz monitor has an hdmi 2.0 output and a display port output I already use my for my gaming pc. Would I be able to get that refresh rate by running an hdmi->usb-c cable into a closed macbook air m2? I’ve seen that’s possible with a displayport -> usb-c cable, but it’d rather keep my displayport dedicated to my rig.

I see some anker docks support hdmi at 4k at 60hz, so would that mean I could get 120hz at 1440p?

Head Bee Guy fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 16, 2023

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Mark Gurman of Bloomberg writes this in his latest Power On email blast:

Gurman posted:

Apple just launched new Macs, but more could be coming this fall. The company is gearing up for its busy season: It’s set to announce the iPhone 15 and 15 Pro lines in September alongside new Apple Watches. And there should be another launch in October, I’m told. The likely topic based on past history? Macs.

Now that Apple has gotten the 15-inch MacBook Air and new M2 Ultra-based Macs out the door, the October launch could feature the first Macs with M3 chips. October is too early for new high-end MacBook Pros or desktops, so the first beneficiaries of the new chip should be the next iMac, 13-inch MacBook Air and 13-inch MacBook Pro.

Mark was previously insisting that we wouldn't see M3 based machines until last quarter of 2023 / beginning 2024, so this tracks.

Seems positively loathsome to put the M3 into that lovely Intel TouchBar encasement that hasn't changed in seven years but Apple claims they still sell plenty of them so I guess cash cow model for people who don't know better..

Hopefully they'll all be WiFi 6E compatible, though if Apple follows its current trend, the Air probably will be just WiFi 6.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 16, 2023

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Which models still use the old design Touch Bar chassis? 14" and 16" are new for AS.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Which models still use the old design Touch Bar chassis? 14" and 16" are new for AS.

just the 13-inch pro

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So every single MacBook has a new chassis now for AS except the 13" pro?

Can you still buy an Intel Mac(not refurb)?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yes and no

The last Intel Mac you could buy from Apple was the Mac Pro, and now it's only M2

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So the clock for dropping x86 builds of MacOS has begun.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

It started ticking with the first M1 machines

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Shaocaholica posted:

So the clock for dropping x86 builds of MacOS has begun.
Relevant Ars Technica article

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Thanks that data was always interesting to me but not really condensed into one chart. The high water mark is 9yrs including security updates. So 2029. That's still gonna come quick in my old age.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

It started ticking with the first M1 machines

Yeah now that I've gotten rid of my 2015 MBP I'm detached from any intel stuff. It's a little wild. Of course I've been a casual Mac user since the Motorola days.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Shaocaholica posted:

Thanks that data was always interesting to me but not really condensed into one chart. The high water mark is 9yrs including security updates. So 2029. That's still gonna come quick in my old age.

I doubt it’ll last until 2029, but I’d be happy if it does.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Binary Badger posted:

Mark Gurman of Bloomberg writes this in his latest Power On email blast:

Mark was previously insisting that we wouldn't see M3 based machines until last quarter of 2023 / beginning 2024, so this tracks.

Seems positively loathsome to put the M3 into that lovely Intel TouchBar encasement that hasn't changed in seven years but Apple claims they still sell plenty of them so I guess cash cow model for people who don't know better..

Hopefully they'll all be WiFi 6E compatible, though if Apple follows its current trend, the Air probably will be just WiFi 6.

tbh I really think the 15" MBA could hold an m2 pro and it really wouldn't surprise me if its next refresh cycle it gets m3 pro, especially with the expected power benefits of shrinking to 3nm etc. It would be such a good laptop, who cares if it can't sustain prime95 forever, being able to get 2 monitors and the fancy AV stuff into a MBA chassis would be neat. they bent the lines with the m2 pro mac mini, the MBA 15" legit could afford to be another such cross-tier product with a M2/M3 pro, even if memory topped out at 32gb or w/e.

anyway yields aren't good enough for pro/max chips yet, unfortunately. they're just throwing A17/M3 on all the non-pro/max platforms that they have, one of which happens to be the worst laptop they make. I guess the 18-month refresh cycle on the MBP 14/16 (people said next spring?) and M3 MBA (next fall?) gives a bit of a timeline for N3E, I'm guessing the M3 Pro/Max chips will get N3E first and then they eventually port the A17/M3 stuff over behind the scenes when capacity allows?

https://wccftech.com/apple-pay-tsmc-3nm-good-dies-a17-bionic-and-m3-yields-at-55-percent/

https://www.anandtech.com/show/18833/tsmc-details-3nm-evolution-n3e-on-schedule-n3p-n3x-deliver-five-percent-gains

but yeah the MBP 13" is garbage, not getting the new-style chassis and not getting dual-monitor-out on a "pro" branded laptop is BS. The 13" should be branded a "macbook". Gives it a reason to keep the touchbar too.

the new M1 MBP 14"/16" chassis is so massively better, too. In hindsight my work 2019 MBP 16" probably is closer to MBA 15" build quality, both of them I'm a little leery of bumping corners. The new M1 16" MBP feels like a tank, at least. There is legitimately a market for a 13" MBP in the new chassis, a performance ultraperfortable for the Thinkpad X230 crowd that's got the higher build quality tier.

And I still think (although it's the most un-apple product either) there's now a market for an apple toughbook. They're getting good traction in computer-toucher and other segments that they have struggled in before, those people love the thinkpad, everyone loves something they don't have to worry about. Thicken it up another half inch and make it a tank.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 18, 2023

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

it’s time for a MacBook with a brushed finish you can take dings out of with a scourer

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i mean apple will do what apple does but it seems really weird to me to have the 15-inch air lag behind the 13-inch air when it comes to processor updates. if the basic m3 yields are good enough i wonder if we’ll just see them pull an ipad3/4 year where they just update the product again six months later

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

tbh I really think the 15" MBA could hold an m2 pro and it really wouldn't surprise me if its next refresh cycle it gets m3 pro, especially with the expected power benefits of shrinking to 3nm etc. It would be such a good laptop, who cares if it can't sustain prime95 forever, being able to get 2 monitors and the fancy AV stuff into a MBA chassis would be neat. they bent the lines with the m2 pro mac mini, the MBA 15" legit could afford to be another such cross-tier product with a M2/M3 pro, even if memory topped out at 32gb or w/e.

They're not going to put a M2 Pro into the 15" MBA chassis, because that would cannibalize 16" MBP sales.

Paul MaudDib posted:

anyway yields aren't good enough for pro/max chips yet, unfortunately. they're just throwing A17/M3 on all the non-pro/max platforms that they have, one of which happens to be the worst laptop they make. I guess the 18-month refresh cycle on the MBP 14/16 (people said next spring?) and M3 MBA (next fall?) gives a bit of a timeline for N3E, I'm guessing the M3 Pro/Max chips will get N3E first and then they eventually port the A17/M3 stuff over behind the scenes when capacity allows?

https://wccftech.com/apple-pay-tsmc-3nm-good-dies-a17-bionic-and-m3-yields-at-55-percent/

https://www.anandtech.com/show/18833/tsmc-details-3nm-evolution-n3e-on-schedule-n3p-n3x-deliver-five-percent-gains

Where in those articles does it say anything about the pro/max chips, or how they're allocating their TSMC wafer purchase orders. The above appears to be pure speculation on your part and not founded in anything you linked.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SourKraut posted:

Where in those articles does it say anything about the pro/max chips, or how they're allocating their TSMC wafer purchase orders. The above appears to be pure speculation on your part and not founded in anything you linked.

are you ok bro?

yeah, it's speculation just based on other stuff I've heard/read/etc. the pivot from N3B (small chips this year) to N3E (big chips next year) would make sense to me as a progression based on the problems TSMC has had with N3.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

are you ok bro?

yeah, it's speculation just based on other stuff I've heard/read/etc. the pivot from N3B (small chips this year) to N3E (big chips next year) would make sense to me as a progression based on the problems TSMC has had with N3.

Yeah I'm fine, I just don't like statements of fact that are in no way backed up by the referenced sources. SYQ and all that.

And Apple doesn't operate like almost any other PC company, so I'm not sure there's a point to speculate on how they will prioritize their wafer allocation beyond "priority to new iPhone production for fall release". All we really know is that the Max/Ultra chips are typically low volume but high profit margin, particularly the Ultras.

Edit:

Basically, we don't need a Gurman around here, who makes proclamations only to see the exact opposite happen.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 18, 2023

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I think it would be a really lovely look to bring out a 15” air then update it 3 months later. Apple has smart folk that think about this poo poo, surely if M3 was that close they would have just waited till then and released a new 13 and the first 15 at the same time. The 13 and 15” are two sizes of the one product and they should be updated at the same time moving forward.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

May I introduce you to the iPad 3rd gen.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

are you ok bro?

are you?

Apple is never going to put an M3 Pro into a MacBook Air, it makes zero sense considering the existing segmentation of their products and the two (2) laptops they already make with Pro chips at 14” and 16”

The Pro Mac Mini, which was replacing an existing higher end Intel SKU, exists because the Max and Ultra chips are available in the Mac Studio

Having bad ideas is fine, I do it all the time and I even post a lot of them, but you don’t gotta make us read two book reports full of them and then insult the thread regulars that give you the gentlest “nah”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Ok Comboomer posted:

are you?

Having bad ideas is fine, I do it all the time and I even post a lot of them, but you don’t gotta make us read two book reports full of them and then insult the thread regulars that give you the gentlest “nah”

Nah, gently caress off, if you don’t want to talk about stuff on the internet forum then close the browser tab and log off.