Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

ROFLBOT posted:

I find the Tesla fine for reverse parking since the mirrors auto-dip so that in conjunction with the rear cam is all i need, but front-first parking is the problem since theres no way to see the curb where the front wheels are

Get some curb whiskers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Twerk from Home posted:

An acquaintance of mine is trying to scalp one of these and I am morbidly curious how it's going to work out for them. I think that the market conditions that made Broncos scalpable for like 2 full years have passed.

the gr corolla market has a handful of people trying to scalp and it's not working. auctions are landing under MSRP + tax.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

On the other hand any early adopter of a Rivian instantly made $10k+ in profit

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Solar update: I asked the people what it would take to never need to buy electricity from the grid, only sell it. The answer that came back: 36 panels, for a total output of 14.4kW. They quoted $34k. This is before we get to talk about batteries.

That's a lot of everything.

e: and it looks a whole lot like we can't even install a residential PV system over 10kW without applying for a variance with the municipality's utilities board, which includes us making the case that there's no reasonable alternative.

ee: After reading the municipality's rules (which are pretty well-written, IMO), doing a bunch of arithmetic, and plugging things into an NREL tool, it appears we can install a maximum of 18 additional panels, which is exactly half what the installer pitched.

cruft fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 17, 2023

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode
Fellow Polestar owners: have you experienced anything wonky since the 2.10 OTA update? I've started seeing two weird things:

1) I have the mirrors set to auto-fold, and twice now (since the 2.10 update) the driver-side one won't unfold when I drive off. I have to do a manual fold-unfold while moving to get it to go back.

2) I have a JuiceBox EVSE at home and it has started "ignoring" the TOU window I have set on it, and begins charging immediately. This never happened prior to 2.10. This might be the JuiceBox itself, but it had been working as expected for over three months now. I've tried toggling the schedules on both the EVSE and the car to no avail, and I'm about to try just flipping the breaker to see if it just needs to be rebooted or something.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

orange juche posted:

The whole picture is an extreme close up of a panel gap on the cybertruck

Apparently someone zoomed in, and yup, the doors are misaligned:

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/first-tesla-cybertruck-to-roll-off-the-assembly-line-at-giga-texas-has-a-misaligned-door-218094.html

They're gonna sell millions.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is panel alignment one of those things that only car reviewers care about? It doesn’t seem like panel gaps affect functionality or even appearances. You kinda have to look for them to find them.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

I know Tesla does things idiotically and lies a bunch, but they built one truck? A single truck? Isn't that basically still hand built, non-production ready? At least as I understand car manufacturing, they should be producing dozens and dozens for internal testing, internal fleet, press, product placement, etc.

Producing one doesn't really test anything as far as production.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Three Olives posted:

I know Tesla does things idiotically and lies a bunch, but they built one truck? A single truck? Isn't that basically still hand built, non-production ready? At least as I understand car manufacturing, they should be producing dozens and dozens for internal testing, internal fleet, press, product placement, etc.

It always starts with a first one.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
They're just trying to technically beat the Silverado to delivery even if the product sucks and they're only making two or three per week.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

cruft posted:

How do you rotate your tires if they're different widths?

... You do rotate your tires, right? :ohdear:

Simple answer is you dont, same as with any car with staggered tyre sizes

I mean you can on the same axle obviously but that shouldnt make a difference.

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 18, 2023

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
At least the Cybertruck is forcing Ford to drop F-150 pricing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2023/07/17/ford-f150-lightning-price-cybertruck/

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Three Olives posted:

They have built several (maybe dozens) of pre-production/prototypes altho Tesla tends to not build as many pre-prod and prototypes as other OEM's - that one is the No 1 of true production from it's assembly line.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

They have built several (maybe dozens) of pre-production/prototypes altho Tesla tends to not build as many pre-prod and prototypes as other OEM's - that one is the No 1 of true production from it's assembly line.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Sure it does, it tests a lot. It tests their supply chain and their assembly procedures, to name a couple things. You're not wrong that it was probably done very much by hand, very slowly, with a bunch of people observing every step. But the fact that they pooped one out is a pretty big deal and indicates that they're moving towar the goal of mass-production.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

More deets on the solar panel stuff. If there is a more appropriate thread for this, please let me know. I expect there's a lot of crossover interest from electric car owners, though.

To the not-quite-surprise of my friend on the utility board, the municipality and utility are apparently regularly issuing permits to install systems that should technically require a variance. After talking with the installer guy, it sounds like a 12kW system is right for us, not the 14kW system originally envisioned. This would add 27 panels to our 1200 square foot roof, for a total of 33 panels on our little house. That works out to 75% of the available roof space taken by solar panels. Hey, right now that space is being used to heat the tar-and-gravel roof. That's an estimated $31,000including permitting, slapping microinverters on the existing panels, and all labor and electrical work. Because we had that expensive-as-hell service upgrade as part of the heat pump installation, I think we won't have any huge unexpected expenses.

SunPower's battery storage doodad is 12.8kWh, and would cost us around $14k. I guess everything runs AC now, and you just deal with the power loss of converting back and forth to DC. So that could be added on later if we want.

Total cost: $45,000.

We also need a new roof. Because re-roofing the house now involves removing a photovoltaic array, that's an expensive process. This installer says they do roofs too, and they'd recomment a TPO roof for our mostly-flat roof, which is what I was expecting to hear. That's a polymer sheet with a very high albedo (reflectivity) so it should actually lower our cooling bills in summer too. It will also mean we get rid of the tar and gravel, which is heavy, freeing up load-bearing ability of the roof joists for the ballast I assume they'll use for all the solar panel mounts. I don't have an estimate on the roof yet. Let's say it's $10k.

Total cost: $55,000. That's a hell of a lot of money.

---

Now let me walk you through our thought process here in evaluating this estimate. We're assuming this cost is roughly what everybody else is going to come in with.

First: we need a new roof no matter what, so let's take $10k out of consideration: that money has to be spent regardless. In fact, the roofing costs are probably lower this way than they would be if we just did the roof, because the solar company is going to remove the existing system at no additional cost. But let's just take the $10k off: we're back down to $45,000.

Second: home value. this NREL flyer cites an appraisal thingy saying for every $1 you save on the annual utility bills, it adds about $20 to the home value. Our annual electric bill, which includes the cars, works out to over $1,800. That's $36,000 added in home value. Almost 80% of the outlay cost would reflect in increasing the home value. That's a great investment: I can't think of anything else we could do to the house that would retain that much value.

Third: free electricity. Based on my calculations, this system will pay for itself in utility bill savings after 16 years (the equipment comes with a 25-year warrant). So if we can stay in this house until I retire, we'll have come out even on the installation, and be getting free electricity for our whole house; including water heater, HVAC, and two cars. That feels like a good use of that money for retirement planning.

Fourth: federal tax rebate. I don't know if this is the case, but let's pretend I can get 100% of the tax rebate available. Right now there's a federal 30% rebate on PV arrays and battery storage. That's a $10,800 reduction of the cost: down to $34,200.

Fifth: state tax rebate. New Mexico offers a 10% rebate on solar installations. I don't know if batteries are counted, so let's assume they aren't. That reduces the cost by $3,100: down to $31,110.

We're now talking about a little more than the price of a new top-trim Toyota Corolla. It will retain about 105% of its cost, get us free electricity including for the car possibly until we're dead, and keep us going with heat/cool during blackouts.

I think we're going to do it.

cruft fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 18, 2023

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

cruft posted:

Solar update: I asked the people what it would take to never need to buy electricity from the grid, only sell it. The answer that came back: 36 panels, for a total output of 14.4kW. They quoted $34k. This is before we get to talk about batteries.

e: and it looks a whole lot like we can't even install a residential PV system over 10kW without applying for a variance with the municipality's utilities board, which includes us making the case that there's no reasonable alternative.

ee: After reading the municipality's rules (which are pretty well-written, IMO), doing a bunch of arithmetic, and plugging things into an NREL tool, it appears we can install a maximum of 18 additional panels, which is exactly half what the installer pitched.

For what it’s worth, that’s probably a pretty fair price for a system that big. I got a 4kw ish system installed and it ran me 13k for everything.

Edit: I’m fully in support of you leaning hard into solar, especially in New Mexico. Being able to chunk that much off your electricity bills will feel amazing, and you’ll feel find about splurging on a little high energy stuff too.

Talorat fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 18, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
That’s really cool cruft. I know if I ever get to rebuild our house (our dream) I’d definitely go for some solar etc although we probably wouldn’t get the same benefit as we’re not in the sunniest area. But the cool thing is every bit can still help and with the cost of panels dropping it becomes economically feasible to just add em anyway!

It would be really cool to have power independence. We don’t have blackouts that often but would be excellent to never have to worry about that again!

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
If you get a hail storm that knocks out your solar generation, will homeowners insurance cover the panel replacement? Or is that a rider you'll need?

Also, would you be able to sell power back to the grid if you stay hooked up? If you covered even more space with panels and could do that it would surely pay for itself even faster.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 18, 2023

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I paid $12K after federal incentives for a 3.8kW sunpower system ~8 years ago so that price sounds great.

I'm still getting better than the anticipated aging curve out of them, so I have no doubts on getting to 20 years.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I love solar in theory and we are in a housing/financial position to do it but every time I run the numbers I can't see us breaking even before we literally shopping for a retirement home. That coupled with the energy mix in Texas, which is ironically very renewable heavy, 20 years is a long loving time, I can't help but think that it's going to make a lot more sense to buy renewable off the grid off peak and store in a home battery on the next 5-10 years.

Honestly, if I had any loving idea what I was doing in the space, I would be running a tech co working on selling homeowners dirt cheap electricity in exchange for free rent for battery packs located on their property to play electricity arbitrage.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

trevorreznik posted:

If you get a hail storm that knocks out your solar generation, will homeowners insurance cover the panel replacement? Or is that a rider you'll need?

That's a good question. I feel like we looked into this when we got the first panels put in, but we'll have to look into it again.

FWIW we get a lot of hail here, and the existing SunPower panels are fine. So far.

trevorreznik posted:

Also, would you be able to sell power back to the grid if you stay hooked up? If you covered even more space with panels and could do that it would surely pay for itself even faster.

Yes. We will be selling electricity to the utility at the commercial rate. I believe there are plans in the pipeline for people with solar to pay some additional grid maintenance fee, which I feel is fair.

However we can't add any more panels than we need. The intent was not for us to be a generation site. I suspect this is because our neighborhood stepdown transformer is not equipped for this, and other stuff might have problems if houses started dumping energy onto the lines. Just guessing, though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Three Olives posted:

I love solar in theory and we are in a housing/financial position to do it but every time I run the numbers I can't see us breaking even before we literally shopping for a retirement home. That coupled with the energy mix in Texas, which is ironically very renewable heavy, 20 years is a long loving time, I can't help but think that it's going to make a lot more sense to buy renewable off the grid off peak and store in a home battery on the next 5-10 years.

Honestly, if I had any loving idea what I was doing in the space, I would be running a tech co working on selling homeowners dirt cheap electricity in exchange for free rent for battery packs located on their property to play electricity arbitrage.
Solar rental plus a standardized battery shed. Two packs, one for thee and one for me. Now you have a distributed solar+storage plant.

Of course Abbott will probably outlaw it so he can lose a national primary, but hey, it's Texas: they're more like guidelines.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

cruft posted:

However we can't add any more panels than we need. The intent was not for us to be a generation site. I suspect this is because our neighborhood stepdown transformer is not equipped for this, and other stuff might have problems if houses started dumping energy onto the lines. Just guessing, though.

You have to limit distributed generation, residential inverters can only sense and try to regulate frequency, they're not tied into the control network for the generating system at large, a little solar fed back onto the grid by homeowners is just fine, but if there's too much of it, it causes frequency and voltage regulation issues.

Like I said upthread, my house is perfectly situated to be useless for solar, I'm also looking at selling it basically as soon as I feasibly can. I'm planning on building my next house, and building it to the highest standards for insulation, I'll definitely be looking at solar and energy storage for it as well, so this is all really interesting stuff.

I really wish that we'd build enough nuclear generating capacity to make distributed solar irrelevant, but that's never gonna loving happen, so solar's about the best we're gonna get.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Try this: distributed nuclear :hehe:

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Some thoughts on solar, there isn’t really a thread, probably one of the homeowner threads in BFC is closest match.

cruft posted:

After talking with the installer guy, it sounds like a 12kW system is right for us, not the 14kW system originally envisioned.
These are really big systems, be careful you’re not being walked into a bigger system than you need because your installer is definitely incentivized to do that.

cruft posted:

SunPower's battery storage doodad is 12.8kWh, and would cost us around $14k. I guess everything runs AC now, and you just deal with the power loss of converting back and forth to DC. So that could be added on later
I would run some payoff simulations with/without the battery cost (and different system sizes) to see if it’s really going to be worth it. Generally batteries are not cost effective based on the savings vs cost and expected lifetime of equipment. Although a lot of these factors vary heavily by locality. But at least run numbers without battery. This can get more complicated if you have things like TOU plans available with cheap night rates that make it realllllly unfavorable to pay for batteries.

Alternatively you just want batts for the novelty of storing and using your own juice and being mostly grid independent and that’s fine but be realistic about what you’re buying for fun vs potential long term savings. And if you expect it to be a backup system you should know e.g. how much of your house it can run for how long. 12.8kwh but how many kw? Can it run your AC? Etc

cruft posted:

We also need a new roof.
Worh check with your insurance to see if this could be done at lesser cost independently. I needed a new roof before my solar but a hailstorm had passed through a year ago causing some damage and we only paid a deductible for the whole roof.

cruft posted:

Second: home value. this NREL flyer cites an appraisal thingy saying for every $1 you save on the annual utility bills, it adds about $20 to the home value.
Just… be careful with that assumption. Honestly I would exclude it from my analysis altogether personally.

cruft posted:

Third: free electricity. Based on my calculations, this system will pay for itself in utility bill savings after 16 years (the equipment comes with a 25-year warrant).
That actually sounds for a quick payoff based on the price. Do you get net metering there? Are you sure of the price you get to sell kwh back? (In texas I have to sell back at about 2/3% what I buy at). Also probably that warranty won’t cover labor for more than a year or few so repairs won’t be completely free.

It also sounds like you pay a lot for electricity, it may be worth looking into other sources of reduction.

cruft posted:

Fourth: federal tax rebate. I don't know if this is the case, but let's pretend I can get 100% of the tax rebate available. Right now there's a federal 30% rebate on PV arrays and battery storage.
The federal credit doesn’t really have conditions so you’ll get it as long as you pay that much in taxes for the year.

Actually this is awesome, I hadn’t realized they bumped it to 30%, I installed in 2022 at 26% and it looks like I’m eligible to get the difference so thank you for the post or I wouldn’t have noticed!

cruft posted:

Fifth: state tax rebate. New Mexico offers a 10% rebate on solar installations. I don't know if batteries are counted
If you’re on the fence w batteries check the tax incentives because sometimes if you add them later vs as part of the initial install you won’t get them. And there may in fact be an equipment difference if you go batteries later so I would really try to decide yes/no on them on the outset.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Is there a general consensus on best home chargers? Work is giving me $2400 to have one installed, and that’s basically the only thing I have no real idea on for EVs :v:

I have the slots for it on the breaker box, and I think they’ll have to run maybe 40ft of wire from the laundry room for 240v where the dryer is, so I can’t imagine labour is going to soak up that much of the budget

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I just got this one installed, it's working great so far

EMPORIA EV Charger Level 2, 48 amp Indoor/Outdoor Electric Car Charger

It seems to be the consensus pick where I was looking around, and it's relatively cheap as well.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Vegetable posted:

gently caress yeah, I'll run a little baby 100MWT plant in my back yard, tap off the waste heat for heating in the winter and you're set.

It can send me an app notification or something if it SCRAMs.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Talorat posted:

It seems to be the consensus pick where I was looking around, and it's relatively cheap as well.

Holy poo poo hell yeah labour then. They’re makin cash money right now and they deserve it

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I'm not sure what kind of routing you're looking at, but it should be a run from the breaker box to where you want it installed. No routing to an existing socket required.

About 2 years ago, it cost me $700 to have a 14-50 installed a super easy (unfinished/open basement) run about 20-30 feet from my box. Then I just have a Tesla mobile charger mounted in a little plastic bracket. All in probably $1k.

I went with an outlet instead of a permanent install because I was still shopping between the MYLR and the Mach E.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Talorat posted:

That’s the one I have for my home, it’s been good with no issues after like 18 months now

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Vegetable posted:

We all have microwaves don’t we?

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

cruft posted:

What is their annual estimated production? We've got 24 panels at 8.16kW and the estimated annual production is just over 10k kWh. We haven't had to pay for electricity since installation a few years ago.

We paid $16k (before tax rebates, etc.) from Tesla.

E: It looks like Tesla has a 14.58kW system for $26k.

MrLogan fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 18, 2023

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

MrLogan posted:

What is their annual estimated production? We've got 24 panels at 8.16kW and the estimated annual production is just over 10 kWh. We haven't had to pay for electricity since installation a few years ago.

We paid $16k (before tax rebates, etc.) from Tesla.

You mean 10 gWh, right?

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

You mean 10 gWh, right?

I should have put 10k kWh. Will edit.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

My current ICE car was in a collision and subsequently stolen, lmao. I’m not able to afford luxury fully electric or hybrids. I could be somewhere in the low 30s maybe mid. I don’t know much about what I would need to do at home to have a vehicle with electric capability and to charge it.

If electric is a realistic opportunity what are the goon recommendations?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

MrLogan posted:

I should have put 10k kWh. Will edit.

I was also off by a number of decimals (a lot) 10k kWh is 0.01 gWh. I meant to say 10 mWh.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Cobra Commander posted:

My current ICE car was in a collision and subsequently stolen, lmao. I’m not able to afford luxury fully electric or hybrids. I could be somewhere in the low 30s maybe mid. I don’t know much about what I would need to do at home to have a vehicle with electric capability and to charge it.

yeah you could get a Bolt, Bolt EUV, or even a gently preowned Tesla Model 3 or (I think?) Polestar

I wouldn't really bother looking at anything else in that budget, but it is definitely very doable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Cobra Commander posted:

Two models fit your price range pretty well:
- Tesla Model 3 (if you're not morally opposed to buying a Tesla)
- Chevy Bolt EV/EUV (being discontinued this year but they're cheap as hell)

If you can wait a little longer, Chevy has an EV Equinox coming out early next year, which should be around that price range. All of these vehicles should qualify for the full $7500 tax rebate if you're in the US, so keep that in mind when looking at prices.

As for home charging, you'll need a compatible charger (can cost anywhere from $400-$1000) and likely an electrician visit to install it in your garage or carport. GM was offering a rebate on chargers/installs, not sure how long they'll keep that up.

You may also be able to get a rebate from your power company -- mine gave me a $500 rebate on my charger installation.

Once that's done, it's pretty hassle-free. When you get home, you plug the car in, and it's charged next time you want to drive it. Most chargers will let you charge on a schedule, as in many places power is cheaper during nighttime hours.