Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Apparently you’re not supposed to go to warp in a star system which is why it takes so long - they make a big deal of it in the episode where Changeling-Bashir almost blows up Bajor’s sun. I don’t remember that coming up before DS9 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

InappropriateJazz posted:

Section 31: Worf

I...I'm not sure if that'd be an espionage thriller or slapstick comedy though. Worf doesn't seem like he'd be able to play the long con, but mayyyybe that's why he'd be the best agent?

Wharf would play his part deadly serious as if it were a thriller but it would be played in Klingon theaters as a slapstick comedy

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

Apparently you’re not supposed to go to warp in a star system which is why it takes so long - they make a big deal of it in the episode where Changeling-Bashir almost blows up Bajor’s sun. I don’t remember that coming up before DS9 though.

there was a tos novel dedicated to that concept, but otherwise it never really came up.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I haven't checked this thread since the chatbot became popular but it is creating new lore.

I think I was too intentionally vague and it got confused.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Reminder that GPT whatever doesn't give correct information, it gives an answer that's shaped like correct information.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Kibayasu posted:

It was mentioned in ST:TMP that they would take the unusual step of going to warp inside the solar system to gain more time to intercept the energy cloud.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

This is greatness

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Gatts posted:

This is greatness

Wish I could take credit, but the design was made for a T-shirt that was a kickstarter reward for the DS9 documentary. So real ones are fairly hard to come by, but your favorite quasi-legal knockoff t-shirt site is sure to have it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

In The Best of Both Worlds part 2, both the Borg cube and the Enterprise drop out of warp before entering the Sol System.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Dabir posted:

Reminder that GPT whatever doesn't give correct information, it gives an answer that's shaped like correct information.

Ye, it's very good at replicating the tone and presentation americans are conditioned to trust. Double check anything it gives you.

But the barrel is now a time diver and it bedevils worf for a crime he has yet to commit.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Everything moves at the speed of plot and its inconsistent as all hell. I was just watching a TNG episode where they call warp six full impulse.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Yeah isn’t it like one second at warp?? Got Keiko riding in the space shuttle on a 6 month voyage

IIRC they're generally consistent that it's about a six hour ride by runabout.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Watching a TNG episode with Lwaxana Troi and just now realizing that Deanna Troi’s accent makes absolutely no sense in-universe

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Dabir posted:

That lawyer that used chatgpt to do his work and he wound up citing totally unrelated cases and completely made-up cases to the judge lol

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
This SNW trial episode is very dumb.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

This SNW trial episode is very dumb.

Nah, it's good. I checked!

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Best trial episode is Tribunal, 2nd place is Court Martial and 3rd place goes to Measure of a Man.

But the SNW one was pretty good too

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

it's good, but also dumb

A land of contrasts

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

DaveWoo posted:

Watching a TNG episode with Lwaxana Troi and just now realizing that Deanna Troi’s accent makes absolutely no sense in-universe

That didn't stop Jack Crusher

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

DaveWoo posted:

I thought her father was Greek and she picked it up from him

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

I thought the reason the trip to Bajor takes different amounts of times is because the wormhole is stationary relative to the star, while the planet continues on it's orbit.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The reason Jake doesn't have a big arc or much depth is because, as I understand it, the writers always primarily intended for him to be an extension of Sisko. He doesn't really exist to go off and do his own thing, he exists to create conflict and drama for his dad.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

CaptainSkinny posted:

I thought the reason the trip to Bajor takes different amounts of times is because the wormhole is stationary relative to the star, while the planet continues on it's orbit.

Even if it's not stationary relative to the star, it's at a different distance than Bajor (I guess in the Bajoran equivalent of the Asteroid Belt) so basic orbital mechanics would result in changing distances between the two

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dabir posted:

I thought her father was Greek and she picked it up from him

Marina Sirtis is of Greek descent and initially opted to use her parents' accent for Troi. Over time, though, she gradually dropped it and by season 7 of TNG and the movies, she's just using her regular London accent.

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

redshirt posted:

Do tell. He became a writer, and had a "should I go to the elite writer school" dilemma episode.

There was also the episode when the Dominion had taken over DS9 and he worked to undermine them, using his writer powers.

He had some of the best development in all of star trek. It's just that the development all happened entirely in the episode The Visitor.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Jake had a lot of character driven episodes. Really good ones! The one where he goes to the front lines with Bashir is loving top tier and I prefer it to The Visitor because thats just Tony Todd not Ciroc.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Timby posted:

Marina Sirtis is of Greek descent and initially opted to use her parents' accent for Troi. Over time, though, she gradually dropped it and by season 7 of TNG and the movies, she's just using her regular London accent.

Right, but in the fiction, Troi is a Greek name, right? And that's her dad's name, so she must have got the accent from him.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Marina Sirtis on SG1 as no gives gently caress Russian scientist.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dabir posted:

Right, but in the fiction, Troi is a Greek name, right? And that's her dad's name, so she must have got the accent from him.

Ian Troi's heritage and ancestry never comes up.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I think it's just as, if not more likely that Lwaxana made her husband take her name.

It took me almost as long to realize Deanna just drops the accent for the movies as it did that she wore dark contact lenses for the entire show's run.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

davidspackage posted:

I think it's just as, if not more likely that Lwaxana made her husband take her name.

It took me almost as long to realize Deanna just drops the accent for the movies as it did that she wore dark contact lenses for the entire show's run.

Just as well because the Greek accent is... not good. Especially in early early TNG. Siritis's natural accent just sounds so much better in comparison, it's like night and day.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Big rear end On Fire posted:

She's a good actress and the part was cool, to me anyway. My kid liked her too.

I saw this live or maybe on a rerun long ago and decided to find it, an interview with Patrick Stewart where he talks about being recognized for ST TNG.

The bit that stuck with me starts around 2:15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgGstkaEemg

Well, shoot, now I want to try some sensational Croatian wine.

edit; haha Leno accidentally calls him "Patrick Picard" at the end.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Just as well because the Greek accent is... not good. Especially in early early TNG. Siritis's natural accent just sounds so much better in comparison, it's like night and day.

There was a interview that I can't find where Marina goes into detail about Troi's accent. IIRC, she tried three accents, the Greek one, an American accent and her regular accent. Either Gene or Berman insisted on the Greek accent. The backstory she was told initially is that her accent was from Betazed. Then when Lwaxanna showed up, she asked about the accent again and she was told uh, Troi picked it up from her father. Then when her father showed up in one episode and had an American accent, Marina asked about the accent again and they were like "Look Troi picked up her accent in boarding school okay?!". You can see why she starts toning it down and start using her regular accent as time goes on.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

edit; haha Leno accidentally calls him "Patrick Picard" at the end.

He was making fun of him for calling him "Jeno" like, 12 seconds prior.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Eighties ZomCom posted:

There was a interview that I can't find where Marina goes into detail about Troi's accent. IIRC, she tried three accents, the Greek one, an American accent and her regular accent. Either Gene or Berman insisted on the Greek accent. The backstory she was told initially is that her accent was from Betazed. Then when Lwaxanna showed up, she asked about the accent again and she was told uh, Troi picked it up from her father. Then when her father showed up in one episode and had an American accent, Marina asked about the accent again and they were like "Look Troi picked up her accent in boarding school okay?!". You can see why she starts toning it down and start using her regular accent as time goes on.

Yeah it was especially weird for young me, as Marina is from the same area of London as I am, so watching TNG as a kid I found it really strange that this Deanna Troi character who spoke in an exotic and distinctive alien accent, slowly started for some reason to speak more and more like me over the course of the series.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
Marina Sirtis was in an episode of the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes series performing entirely in Italian. (This was an English production, this clip is just all the Italian characters’ scenes edited together).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vj6tIXHybiw&pp=ygUdbWFyaW5hIHNpcnRpcyBzaGVybG9jayBob2xtZXM%3D

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Was the line about young Jack Crusher having a British accent in reference to this quote? Even if you're only paraphrasing, it feels like quite the coincidence.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
i hope SNW does a big space creature episode or alien pretends they are a greek god episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

If this is real, I need to know everything