Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

BlazetheInferno posted:

I honestly delight in simply observing their behavior and what sort of moves and attacks they use, as a lot of them have interesting quirks and abilities that the players don't get, or just little behavioral quirks that work with their personality. Minor spoilers below for various characters who appear in Duty Support mode in Shadowbringers.

For example, if both Alphinaud and Alisaie are present, Alphinaud will prioritize healing a low-health Alisaie over anyone else - even the player or the tank. Alisaie herself is the single most Limit-Break-thirsty NPC in the game, and will frequently snatch it up within seconds of it becoming available, if it's even remotely safe to do so (though will wait for LB2 when it's an option). Some characters will defer the limit break to the player if they are DPS, but Alisaie is one of those NPCs that you will need to race to that button. Meanwhile, various characters have unique class variants, like Alphinaud's Academician working like a Scholar that doesn't have a Fairy, instead keeping his Carbuncle that functions like they did before Endwalker, as a persistent pet that adds a bit of extra damage; his heals are stronger than normal to make up for the lack of fairy healing. Or Y'shtola, who has her own unique damage rotation going through all six elements, instead of only the ones used by White or Black Mages. Urianger has a unique trick or two his own as well, occasionally targeting a low health enemy with "Death of the Seventh Dawn" to instantly finish them off - and honestly, he has my favorite voice clip of his attached to that spell as well. "All that I have and more I bring to bear!"

leveling a healer alt through ShB I noticed Ryne is often the one character who will consistently stand in an avoidable mechanic when it goes off. she never dies to it, so I think she only does it when she's near full health, but I thought it was a nice touch if it was intentional; she's still new to this and can't quite read the tells that the rest of the team can. I noticed the first time through Dohn Mheg that she was standing off doing nothing during the second boss' 1st Growing phase and left her tether unattended. She got it every time after that, though.

Obviously her and Thancred don't have access to the full NIN and GNB toolkits. I never noticed it myself but I think someone here mentioned that Thancred is capable of using more of his toolkit when they're both on the team together owing to the fact that Ryne primes Thancred's aether cartridges for him

It seems like after ARR or HW all the DS tanks have an invuln or an otherwise really nice defensive mit that they can use at least once per mob pull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Here is something important to remember about the QTE sections: first off, since they are not all that common, the game does the nice thing of providing ample warning that they are coming with a big on-screen warning, and you should honestly start hitting buttons as soon as you see it.
The second, more important thing is that (as far as I can tell) there is No cap to the inputs: each button/key you hit counts, so even the QTEs that are designed to look like you are barely holding on can be kept near full by just hitting more keys; so if you find yourself struggling with some of them and keep ending up dead after a phase transition, just pretend you are a b-movie hacker and hit all of the keys on your keyboard at random as fast as you can and you will never have to worry about a QTE

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

BlazetheInferno posted:

But yeah. Duty Support is slower, but you get the extra context and chatter from NPCs, you get to learn the fights without other people around (hell, the NPCs behavior can help teach you the fights), you're guaranteed all the loot to yourself (even if there is less total loot in Duty Support than regular dungeons), and all that good stuff.

A few dungeons also have interactible books or notes or journals or whatever with little snippets of text and there's no way a human party will give you time to read them. Yes, you can go back later in explorer mode, but, given the only argument against using duty support is "it takes longer"(oh nooooo the thing I only do every few levels in this game that takes a triple digit number of hours to play through the story might take 30 minutes instead of 15 oh noooooooooooo) why would you waste time with that when you could grab them on your first run?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Dareon posted:

To be fair, it is still significantly slower than doing it with other players, because Trusts/Duty Support NPCs won't use AoEs and will stop attacking to dodge danger puddles. They are, however, very good at dodging danger puddles, although if you have a mixed puddle/stack mechanic you need to follow them to the safe zone they decided on. I had the entire team run away from me when I had a stack marker because they were dodging an AoE with two safe zones and I went to the other one.

Essentially, it's gonna take you half an hour to play a dungeon "single-player." This can be faster than waiting for other people, depending on time of day and popularity of content.

The exception to this rule, is that sometimes, when there are multiple danger puddles on the ground from multiple sources (for example, two Garlean Colossus enemies both using their Grand Sword cone slash), the NPCs will only acknowledge one at a time - which means sometimes they will dodge out of one danger puddle, only to obliviously stand in another one.

God Hole posted:

leveling a healer alt through ShB I noticed Ryne is often the one character who will consistently stand in an avoidable mechanic when it goes off. she never dies to it, so I think she only does it when she's near full health, but I thought it was a nice touch if it was intentional; she's still new to this and can't quite read the tells that the rest of the team can. I noticed the first time through Dohn Mheg that she was standing off doing nothing during the second boss' 1st Growing phase and left her tether unattended. She got it every time after that, though.

Obviously her and Thancred don't have access to the full NIN and GNB toolkits. I never noticed it myself but I think someone here mentioned that Thancred is capable of using more of his toolkit when they're both on the team together owing to the fact that Ryne primes Thancred's aether cartridges for him

It seems like after ARR or HW all the DS tanks have an invuln or an otherwise really nice defensive mit that they can use at least once per mob pull.

More talk of Shadowbringers Duty Support characters

What I mentioned above is likely what seems to keep happening with Ryne. I personally haven't noticed her be any better or worse than anyone else in this regard. Never seen an NPC ignore the tether, though. Curious. But yeah, Thancred will not use his Gnashing Fang combo unless Ryne is in the party; later on, Urianger and Y'shtola can fill in this role. However, overall potency of his abilities is, from what I've been led to understand, balanced to make this purely a cosmetic detail. Ryne herself sticks to using Rogue abilities. She'll Hide at the start of pull and approach slowly to open with Trick Attack, providing bonus damage for the whole party with a Vulnerability Up debuff. Once in a while she'll use a spell called "Banish" several times in a row, followed by the Ninja's "Dream Within a Dream" attack as a large burst combo. Ryne is one of those that will never use the Limit Break if the player is a DPS, though if the player is not a DPS, she seems more willing to cut loose, which is nice because she's melee, so she has the single-target LB, unlike Alisaie.

But yeah, generally every tank has an Invulnerability button they can use if things really, REALLY get bad. Seems to have about the cooldown you'd expect, though, so don't expect it every pull. Most tanks, it seems to simply work like Paladins' Hallowed Ground, though one in particular uses Superbolide... which works exactly like it normally does.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Is there a way to setup a default glamour plate? Like I have my Level 50 gear for I think every job currently, most look fine for main story quests, but for some side content for example Paladin, I setup a glamour plate to look more like a "off duty adventurer", but to restore the original look, how can I do this without dispelling the glamours? Or can I dispel and it won't affect the plate? Ideally I'd like to swap back and forth.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Is there a way to setup a default glamour plate? Like I have my Level 50 gear for I think every job currently, most look fine for main story quests, but for some side content for example Paladin, I setup a glamour plate to look more like a "off duty adventurer", but to restore the original look, how can I do this without dispelling the glamours? Or can I dispel and it won't affect the plate? Ideally I'd like to swap back and forth.

Dispelling is done on the armor itself and will not touch the plate. You'll burn through a lot of dispellers though, and sadly there's no way to plate a 'default' - it will only accept actual looks and will always go to that look.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

You'll blow through plates if you want to do it for every job, but you can put your gear in the dresser/armoire and stick it in a plate, and get another copy to actually wear (or grab some ironworks gear to wear if you've beaten 2.0)

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

radintorov posted:

Here is something important to remember about the QTE sections: first off, since they are not all that common, the game does the nice thing of providing ample warning that they are coming with a big on-screen warning, and you should honestly start hitting buttons as soon as you see it.
The second, more important thing is that (as far as I can tell) there is No cap to the inputs: each button/key you hit counts, so even the QTEs that are designed to look like you are barely holding on can be kept near full by just hitting more keys; so if you find yourself struggling with some of them and keep ending up dead after a phase transition, just pretend you are a b-movie hacker and hit all of the keys on your keyboard at random as fast as you can and you will never have to worry about a QTE

But in the end you are still defending QTEs in a game made after 2010.

(I was not sure whether to laugh or cry when I first encountered them)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Relyssa posted:

Dispelling is done on the armor itself and will not touch the plate. You'll burn through a lot of dispellers though, and sadly there's no way to plate a 'default' - it will only accept actual looks and will always go to that look.

That's good, at least I won't have to remake the plates. I can use the plate for the quests I'm doing and then switch back when I'm back on the MSQ.

Qwertycoatl posted:

You'll blow through plates if you want to do it for every job, but you can put your gear in the dresser/armoire and stick it in a plate, and get another copy to actually wear (or grab some ironworks gear to wear if you've beaten 2.0)

Right now its more that my "Off-Duty" plates would be for the "main" groupings, so Magic/War maybe, with another for Ninja; there's not a whole lot of clothing options available so it isn't like I can have it for every job, at least insofar as I'm aiming for the "Level 1 Newbie JRPG/Isekai Adventurer" look while doing patch content like the Hildibrand quests. :)

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
If you put your gear in the dresser, assign it to a plate, then take it back out of the dresser, you can use the plate while wearing the gear, so it ends up glammed as itself.

E: as a bonus, you'll have your class gear already set to a plate when you start getting post-ARR gear from patch quests and tomestones.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 15, 2023

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Mr. Neutron posted:

But in the end you are still defending QTEs in a game made after 2010.

(I was not sure whether to laugh or cry when I first encountered them)
Nowhere in my post I'm defending QTEs, I'm just saying what to do to completely neuter them so no-one has to worry about them :v:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I won't defend QTEs, but if nothing else, at least it's not asking you to hit this one specific button within 0.375 seconds of the prompt appearing or something dumb like that.

Just mash buttons. That's nice and simple. It doesn't even have to be just one button, you can make it easier by mashing multiple buttons! Facemash your keyboard, go nuts. Just be doing a thing.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

*turns on tank stance*

QTEs are good actually

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Reply to this post in 10 seconds or you will die

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Feldegast42 posted:

Reply to this post in 10 seconds or you will die

Aw poo poo

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
I'm doing the famous DRK questline, I'm at 50lvl quest now and honestly I am underwhelmed. Perhaps other goons overhyped it?

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Knowing that there is a big thing coming can defang the impact, I think, though imo it helps sell things if you read the journals with and without the DRK crystal equipped. I personally enjoyed 30-50 DRK just fine, especially since its one of the very few times the game focuses on the WoL's feelings, but was still more into 50-60, so it can also be a matter of taste.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The 30-50 line is just entirely "Aren't you tired of being nice? Don't you just want to go ape shitt" which is understandably attractive to the goon zeitgeist

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Szarrukin posted:

I'm doing the famous DRK questline, I'm at 50lvl quest now and honestly I am underwhelmed. Perhaps other goons overhyped it?

It's not gonna hit everyone the same, don't worry about it.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

60-70 DRK is my favorite non-MSQ questline in the game imho

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Feldegast42 posted:

60-70 DRK is my favorite non-MSQ questline in the game imho

it's definitely top 5 for me

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Szarrukin posted:

My feelings on it were very much "this is objectively well-written but it assumes things about my character that are contrary to the headcanons I've built over the dozens of hours I've poured into this game".

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Szarrukin posted:

I enjoyed the questline but didn't absolutely love it like most other people. So far I think I've enjoyed MCH the most out of all the job questlines I've gotten through.

Edit: Also, I remember seeing folks say that ShB was written by the same person who wrote the DRK questline which made me worried that I'd be a little underwhelmed with ShB. I'm at the level 79 MSQ point now and I can most assuredly say that it has lived up to the hype, in case you might be concerned about the same thing!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Like Clockwork posted:

Knowing that there is a big thing coming can defang the impact, I think, though imo it helps sell things if you read the journals with and without the DRK crystal equipped.

Wait, they change?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

Wait, they change?

Only the level 80 log entry changes

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

I believe the earlier ones change as well, I don't exactly have the game open to check.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Like Clockwork posted:

I believe the earlier ones change as well, I don't exactly have the game open to check.

The questlogs for the 61-70 log shrinks significantly if you don't have the DRK Crystal equipped. The implication is clearly that Fray is writing those parts of the quest log, which a few specific parts confirm toward the end. While this is also clearly the case for the 30-50 questlogs, those I believe remain visible without the DRK crystal equipped. I don't know if the level 80 quest is affected or not.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Sprouts dying to mechanics is endearing, because they'll generally learn from their mistake.

Flowers dying to mechanics is exhausting, because nine times out of ten they keep making the same mistake over and over.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

What about the third option, burger king crowns dying to mechanics?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Tekopo posted:

This is why I don't have my crown out unless it's forced by mentor roulette, you'll think I died because I'm a newish player

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Qwertycoatl posted:

This is why I don't have my crown out unless it's forced by mentor roulette, you'll think I died because I'm a newish player
You should be going out there in DF using savage-tier gear, qwerty, and then still die. It's the only reason why I still use my Legend title.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCx9xN9wJ-g

New Crap Guide, Magic DPS.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

tradecraft crown gives me no responsibility AND still gives my friends bonus EXP when partying with me

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Tekopo posted:

You should be going out there in DF using savage-tier gear, qwerty, and then still die. It's the only reason why I still use my Legend title.

if I die I can point to my saint title and say I didn't get this by being good at the game

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Tekopo posted:

Expected, burger king havers are too busy being little shits in novice network

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

heyyyy look at that, FFXIV complete edition is on sale on the square enix store, if you've been thinking about upgrading from your free trial

North America
Europe

as always, you cannot use a code from the SE store on an account created in the steam version of the game and vice versa, but we did just come out of a steam sale where the game was discounted there.

the endwalker expansion is also discounted if you're coming back from a break!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Vitamean posted:

if I die I can point to my saint title and say I didn't get this by being good at the game

the Trade Mentor crown is a clear statement that someone has priorities in the game and being good at it isn't one of them

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

FuturePastNow posted:

the Trade Mentor crown is a clear statement that someone has priorities in the game and being good at it isn't one of them

That's right. I'm here to click nodes and spend all my gil on materia, and I'm all outta gil.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Vitamean posted:

I fatfingered the wrong macro making gear for someone while using my Beatus title and getting "beatus of the firmament btw"ed sent me to the loving shadow realm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
is there a way to decrease the font size on nameplates? its so loving big, even in 4K....