Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I wish them a long, healthy, and happy relationship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
The issue with Toga is that she was basically reviled, abused, repressed. She needs to answer for the things she did, but she was just really desperately seeking for comfort, acceptance, and safety. She needed help. She got reviled instead. She needed a loving family that understood her, she got people who were ashamed of her. She's effectively only 17, not even a full blown adult yet and has been living on the fringes of society to stay alive without help other than the villains which saw her just as another fighter.

Uraraka said the right things to her to comfort her and I think Toga finally saw some hope and gave up fighting because of it. Because someone finally said "I understand and I'll hold you responsible, but I'll help you too, and accept you for who you are." That final smile says it all: Someone actually said they cared and felt her pain.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 17, 2023

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

The issue with Toga is that she was basically reviled, abused, repressed. She needs to answer for the things she did, but she was just really desperately seeking for comfort, acceptance, and safety. She needed help. She got reviled instead. She needed a loving family that understood her, she got people who were ashamed of her. She's effectively only 17, not even a full blown adult yet and has been living on the fringes of society to stay alive without help other than the villains which saw her just as another fighter.

Uraraka said the right things to her to comfort her and I think Toga finally saw some hope and gave up fighting because of it. Because someone finally said "I understand and I'll hold you responsible, but I'll help you too, and accept you for who you are." That final smile says it all: Someone actually said they cared and felt her pain.

That final smile is, like, the same as her crazy person, murder smiles.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

oh jay posted:

Maybe it's just me but it doesn't have malice in the way it looks.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Maybe it's just me but it doesn't have malice in the way it looks.

She would love to meet you alone in a dark alley with her stabbing knife.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

oh jay posted:

Wrong. Open your eyes and your heart, fool.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Wrong. Open your eyes and your heart, fool.

She'd like to open my eyes and heart with her stabbing knife.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

oh jay posted:

She'd like to open my eyes and heart with her stabbing knife.

However if you donate some blood to her.....er, the red cross, she might stab you less.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
its sad that these people had rough childhoods, but murder is still pretty bad, to do

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Yeah murder is bad, badass that is.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Collapsing Farts posted:

its sad that these people had rough childhoods, but murder is still pretty bad, to do

It's funny because not even like, a singular murder or a couple of murders. It's "our group killed tens of thousands of people and completely collapsed modern society and forced the entire civilian population to hide in bunkers for fear of being slaughtered by packs of roving murderers".

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Muscular was cool, because he didn't pretend he was misunderstood.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Kanos posted:

It's funny because not even like, a singular murder or a couple of murders. It's "our group killed tens of thousands of people and completely collapsed modern society and forced the entire civilian population to hide in bunkers for fear of being slaughtered by packs of roving murderers".

Next chapter begins the decades long legal battle to keep toga from the chair.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TheHan posted:

Next chapter begins the decades long legal battle to keep toga from the chair.
The chair... of marriage

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Yeah murder is bad, badass that is.

Yup

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

oh jay posted:

This is also why Dabi owns. Dude's backstory is tragic but he completely leans into the fact that he's an evil murderer.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

oh jay posted:

I think if your take away is that Toga is pretending she was misunderstood you might somehow be too stupid for MHA's story that is for actual children.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I ain't talking about Toga anymore. I'm talking about cool guy Muscular.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Kanos posted:

It's this plus how cheesy it is that the big connection is...wanting to talk romance about the guy you're both crushing on? Not to mention that as others have stated, this is what? Only the second time they've met and one of those times Ochaco was quite clearly afraid and freaked out by Toga so this is definitely a bit retcony. A big concern I've seen is the, "and then what" aspect. Okay so Toga has been subdued and will receive the therapy and help with managing her quirk. What about the mass murder and societal collapse that she was involved in? Minor or not, that's gonna carry a VERY heavy punishment and 100% rightfully so and I dunno how Japan does it, but might be grounds for trial as an adult.

oh jay posted:

Kanos posted:

This is also why Dabi owns. Dude's backstory is tragic but he completely leans into the fact that he's an evil murderer.

Terrible and horrid as they are, I can definitely respect that they just roll with it.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 18, 2023

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
speaking of dabi, is his final fate really gonna be the big ice cube? Poor dabi, not even allowed to die. Now there's a guy I feel sorry for.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Toga can't go to prison because Japan no longer has a legal system capable of imprisoning anyone.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Muscular kind of a boring fight tbh

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mymla posted:

Toga can't go to prison because Japan no longer has a legal system capable of imprisoning anyone.

I have no idea how much destruction they're causing, but if the full on legal justice system is down then yeah, we're talking about possibly shipping them to The Hague and looking at potential war crime charges as well as mass murder possibly in the millions if any of what I've heard is accurate.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

TheHan posted:

speaking of dabi, is his final fate really gonna be the big ice cube? Poor dabi, not even allowed to die. Now there's a guy I feel sorry for.

It's the ultimate Dabi move though. The guy planned to murder-suicide himself, his family, and everyone who would have been close enough to be caught in the blast radius and managed to accomplish none of that. Instead, he's stuck as a blind, burnt out husk for the rest of his life. The ultimate failure.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

best part of the translation (maybe it was in the original and i missed it) is uraraka just "mhmm"ing her way through the aerial conversation after toga decides not to stab her. shoto had to enlist his whole family and his dad almost(?) died to stop dabi. all uraraka needs is one (1) use of gunhead martial arts and a couple "drat really?"

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I mean, it kinda works, because it showcases how little it would take to keep Toga from becoming a mass-murdering terrorist, if someone gave a drat about her.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Muscular was for an entirely different manga than what MHA ended up becoming.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
What did MHA end up being, anyway

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tell, don't show?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

A metaphor for intolerance and bigotry handled about as clumsily as Zootopia?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheKingofSprings posted:

What did MHA end up being, anyway

Jeart (Jean Heart).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m still wondering how all this still squares with Deku’s narration at the beginning about this being the story of how he became the world’s greatest hero (though I suppose there are a lot of ways you could interpret that)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Muscular fight #1 was pretty okay. It was the classic "super strength character runs into an opponent actually stronger than him" setup, and Deku cracking and breaking down in terror because he's a literal child up against a mass-murdering psycho he can't beat but then resolving to stand up and be a hero anyway because otherwise the child he was protecting was going to die was one of his best actual heroic moments in the manga.

Muscular fight #2 was boring filler meant to show "wow, all these powers Deku got offscreen have catapulted him to super saiyan god super saiyan levels!".

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Larryb posted:

I’m still wondering how all this still squares with Deku’s narration at the beginning about this being the story of how he became the world’s greatest hero (though I suppose there are a lot of ways you could interpret that)

Deku's final quirk transforms him into a submarine sandwich too large for All for One to eat

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Larryb posted:

All Might quit being a Hero.
America's Best Hero died to, uh, accomplish... something.
Now all we have to do is get rid of a few more heroes and bam! All the competition's gone.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Larryb posted:

Best by default because everyone else will be dead or retired.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

All Might quit being a Hero.
America's Best Hero died to, uh, accomplish... something.
Now all we have to do is get rid of a few more heroes and bam! All the competition's gone.

Yeah, best by default on account of every other hero being dead/otherwise incapacitated or retired is kind of what I’m thinking too

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kanos posted:

Muscular fight #1 was pretty okay. It was the classic "super strength character runs into an opponent actually stronger than him" setup, and Deku cracking and breaking down in terror because he's a literal child up against a mass-murdering psycho he can't beat but then resolving to stand up and be a hero anyway because otherwise the child he was protecting was going to die was one of his best actual heroic moments in the manga.

Muscular fight #2 was boring filler meant to show "wow, all these powers Deku got offscreen have catapulted him to super saiyan god super saiyan levels!".

Forgot he had a 2nd fight tbh

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I remember people hyping up Deku vs. Muscular as one of the best MHA fights when Season 3 was airing. Then I got there and :geno:

It felt like a step back from the Stain fight, where Deku recognized his limits and designed a new technique to get around them, which wound up being integral to fighting Stain. Against Muscular, he just breaks his arms twice and punches harderer and then instantly wins.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Muscular 1 is a good fight if only because it's snappy and uninterrupted. I think there's one brief check-in with the rest of the class up front, and then he just lets the fight happen.

Compared to any recent fight and it's all intercut with other crap and you forget what's happening.