Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Winston will never go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Not unless they accidentally shatter his phylactery when they're installing the Pou and Pare on the parliament forecourt.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

cptn_dr posted:

Not unless they accidentally shatter his phylactery when they're installing the Pou and Pare on the parliament forecourt.

It's pronounced "glenmorangie"

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
I would say that almost all of the votes Winnie picks up will come from Seymour's more recent fashie and conspiratorial voters

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Good, at least Winnie is funny

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/132557803/national-promises-to-let-under30s-raid-their-kiwisavers-for-rental-bonds

christ

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i can't believe national want to sabotage social security.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

i can't believe national want to sabotage social security.

Sabotage? Feed directly into private pockets more like

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
On the other hand, I'd love it if I could raid my kiwisaver to pay against my mortgage.

I took the money out when I bought but that was nearly 10 years ago now. My mortgage is going to be nearly 7% loving kiwisaver ain't making that much a year so using it to shorten my repayments and save on interest seems like a no brainer.
But apparently that's not preparing for my future so I'm poo poo out of luck.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

just freeze your payments so you're getting extra money per week but still have at least something bubbling away. i stopped my kiwisaver for like four years as part of my home ownership plan (because i read the room and decided that having a mortgage-free property by retirement age was a better retirement plan than "please save money so you can still pay rent when you're 70")

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Yeah we're in the midst of a property purchase and the lawyer is somewhat insistent I should use my KiwiSaver. I see it as at least something I have for my future, otherwise I got basically nothing.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

if you're buying property then you'd have that for the future as well - and unlike kiwisaver you won't have to pay tax on it.

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Yeah I initially discounted it, but that extra money would definitely help with payments. I either access it now or when I'm 65 or whatever. Hmm.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The earth isn't going to be inhabitable by the time I'm 65 so might as well donate my KiwiSaver to landlords for all the good it'll do me.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

bike tory posted:

The earth isn't going to be inhabitable by the time I'm 65 so might as well donate my KiwiSaver to landlords for all the good it'll do me.

give it to me

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

last I checked, you are one of the leeching renter class, not one of the magnanimous, housing-creating landlord class. So I can't unless you buy a house to rent out to me after National win the election

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004

I don't see this working because it involves the bond actually getting lodged.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
i think their kiwisaver policy is particularly wild because the nats are also definitely going to gut super

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
But think of all the pot holes they'll fix!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

exmarx posted:

i think their kiwisaver policy is particularly wild because the nats are also definitely going to gut super

you think? old people, national's traditional stronghold, are extremely calm about that kind of thing so it sounds like a good move

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
they aren't going to gut it for current old people lol

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

It'll be about everyone under 40 gets screwed same as always.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Saros posted:

It'll be about everyone under 40 gets screwed same as always.

Buddy,

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/493893/heavy-rain-events-reveal-landslide-problems-on-puhoi-to-warkworth-highway

Really cool that both flagship projects in the Roads of National Significance plan have turned out to be so unproblematic. Really happy that we invested like $2.5bn in these roads that are hosed before they even open just so trucking companies can save like 50c per trip.

quote:

till-now undisclosed reports reveal the entire 18.5km-long project was beset by landslides for years, and the recent storms have made it worse

already a large slope had begun sliding down toward the motorway at an average 5 to 11cm a week

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

bike tory posted:

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/493893/heavy-rain-events-reveal-landslide-problems-on-puhoi-to-warkworth-highway

Really cool that both flagship projects in the Roads of National Significance plan have turned out to be so unproblematic. Really happy that we invested like $2.5bn in these roads that are hosed before they even open just so trucking companies can save like 50c per trip.

This is an incredible read loving hell

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Loooooooooooool

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Could have just spent those billions to get Xi in here and sort out some high speed rail up and down the whole country. Have him sort out the landlord problem while he's at it.

Your Brain on Hugs fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 18, 2023

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Could have just spent those billions to get Xi in here and sort out some high speed rail up and down the whole country. Have him sort out the landlord problem while he's at it.

I have bad news about how many landlords there are in China these days

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I've been on the holiday highway a couple times now and it is a big improvement; if you've never gone through the Warkworth junction you likely can't imagine how insane and bad it is. Cliffs falling on it soon is probably bad for the already dubious cost/benefit case though, I would imagine.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Harbour bridge cycleway: drake no
Billions of dollars on a temporary road: drake yes

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Hate to break it to you, but the camps won't be for the landlords

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Who would the camps be for

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
Some people would actually prefer population caps before one red cent gets spent on a modern rail network.

Wellington Facebook Group posted:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ah the ol' car-centric urban design to eugenics pipeline.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
Problem: takes too long to drive to work.
Solution: one-child policy.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

bike tory posted:

Ah the ol' car-centric urban design to eugenics pipeline.

its shockingly common tbh

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
88 days till the election.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/wellington/300930431/why-tory-whanaus-dog-is-her-latest-headache

Great work Stuff, really asking the important questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Honestly worth it for that dog's Insta pic.