Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
The pick six was an extreme example based on something specific in my memory, could just as easily be a close fourth quarter game where the offense hasn't been producing as much and there's no big lead for the defense to lean on. And if the defense is playing at a high level and you have a 3 or 4 score lead it's easier to weather even that extreme example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

The super fast teams that don't care about TOP get into serious trouble when they go three and out.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Dango Bango posted:

The super fast teams that don't care about TOP get into serious trouble when they go three and out.

The Heupel-led Missouri Tigers in a nutshell

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

The Joe Moorhead years at Penn State were a mild example of Tennessee last year, but the tempo and TOP did cause some consternation with the DC, Brent Pry, and perhaps did end up costing Penn State a game or two late when the defense ran out of gas.

Of course, the counterpoint is that Penn State never would have been in a position to beat Ohio State on the road late in the game without Moorhead in 2017 and maybe the defensive scheme was the problem on game winning drives (that game and also the Rose Bowl following 2016).

BUT, an up tempo team can run into serious trouble against a good defense, especially if the scheme is too inflexible to adapt.

TheRico
Mar 1, 2007
Huepel left UCF at the right time, he was one more 2-3 loss season from being fired.

Happy he’s thriving in Tennessee but I don’t think he’s the guy and can see him flaming out there in 2-3 seasons. I have no evidence of this, just vibes. Alright, everyone enjoy their Monday (or whatever day you read this).

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Dango Bango posted:

I feel like this is the biggest key. The defensive success rate after a 3-and-out is so much lower than if the offense picked up even just a single first down.

But honestly, the defense has to take some of the blame: if you can't get off the field on 3rd down, then you're going to get worn down over the course of the game. Yes, your team will be tired if you allow the other team to sustain 8, 9, 10 play drives, even if you hold them to a field goal eventually. If you're holding the other team to 3 and out, then you can get back out on the field for another short drive, no problem.

That's why I always hated the bend-don't-break defensive mindset of Leach's teams at Tech. Eventually your defense is going to break. I much prefer DeRuyter's defenses, which focus on negative plays and getting off the field on 3rd down. We'll give up big plays, but cause just as many and wind up facing shorter drives because of it.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

The pace is not the problem it is an efficiency problem. You cannot be fast and inefficient (more drives that go 3 and out or maybe 1st down and out with little yardage gained than 1st or scores), but as long as you are moving the chains and scoring points it kind of doesn't matter. A top notch defense that gets stops will increase your play opportunities which is where the Vols can get better. The defense was adequate last year, if it can be very good or get to elite, and the offense stays efficient the TOP really doesn't matter or will even out as the offense gets more chances with the ball.

A slow team that is inefficient will be losing ugly just as much as the fast team even if TOP is slanted way in their favor.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 17, 2023

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1680942784021164033

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

*worst possible answer in the universe meme goes here*

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
God he’s just so loving stupid

I know it won’t but lol if his comments about withdrawing cash while at Bama leads to an investigation

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

'Rivalry' renewed: UT-OU clash revives old name

gently caress yes! Shootout is b--

quote:

The 119th Texas-Oklahoma game will return to a familiar name with a new sponsor in 2023, titled the Allstate Red River Rivalry.

:geno:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Tulane and Willie Fritiz have apparently come to an agreement on a 7 year deal.

Edit:
https://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2023/7/5/general-from-the-desk-of-tulane-ad-troy-dannen.aspx

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 18, 2023

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Surprised Ruger or Colt doesn't step up to the plate for Red River Shootout naming rights.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Seems like the name shootout would be a PR no-no

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The red River woke mind disease

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

dirty shrimp money posted:

I feel like there's worse things they're associated with

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Actually on second thought as a company I would also want to be more associated with elementary school shootings than the university of Oklahoma football program

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Spacebump posted:

Tulane and Willie Fritiz have apparently come to an agreement on a 7 year deal.

He'll be 70 at the end of that contract.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Yeah that’s exactly why they changed it almost 20 years ago

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

RIP Washington Bullets

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Cincinnati has called the UC-Xavier men's basketball game the Crosstown Shootout for basically decades.

Maybe the sponsor being Skyline instead of a gum maker helps? :shrug:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

kayakyakr posted:

That's why I always hated the bend-don't-break defensive mindset of Leach's teams at Tech. Eventually your defense is going to break.

The 2004 Penn State team might be the only team that ever successfully executed the concept. The offense was absolutely useless, so there was no real chance of winning more than a few games. But the defense was completely vicious. Averaged 15 points against per game (#5 in the country, which is astounding for a 4-7 team) and the only team to never allow 22 points in a game that season. After the week 2 game where they allowed three TDs, they recalibrated and went for a strategy of pinching off offenses once they got into FG range. Fifty percent of all scoring drives ended in field goals. For example, the 16-3 loss to Wisconsin included three field goals.

The general idea was the offense could never hope to keep pace with even allowing two TDs a game (they only averaged 17 points all season) and couldn't maintain a drive in the first place. Keeping the defense on the field limited the damage that could be caused by an inept offense.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

It’ll always be the SBC red river rivalry to me.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Wed Wibber Wibalwy

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Sash! posted:

The 2004 Penn State team might be the only team that ever successfully executed the concept. The offense was absolutely useless, so there was no real chance of winning more than a few games. But the defense was completely vicious. Averaged 15 points against per game (#5 in the country, which is astounding for a 4-7 team) and the only team to never allow 22 points in a game that season. After the week 2 game where they allowed three TDs, they recalibrated and went for a strategy of pinching off offenses once they got into FG range. Fifty percent of all scoring drives ended in field goals. For example, the 16-3 loss to Wisconsin included three field goals.

The general idea was the offense could never hope to keep pace with even allowing two TDs a game (they only averaged 17 points all season) and couldn't maintain a drive in the first place. Keeping the defense on the field limited the damage that could be caused by an inept offense.

The team that held Iowa to 0 touchdowns and yet still lost 6-4.

Granted, basically anyone can hold Iowa to 0 touchdowns now.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Red River Ribaldry

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Cthulu Carl posted:

Cincinnati has called the UC-Xavier men's basketball game the Crosstown Shootout for basically decades.

Maybe the sponsor being Skyline instead of a gum maker helps? :shrug:

Probably makes it more acceptable that a thing called shooting is an integral part of basketball.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

How many copyright violations can you spot in the WV high school logos? https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...mibextid=Nif5oz

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Komet posted:

How many copyright violations can you spot in the WV high school logos? https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...mibextid=Nif5oz

Wisconsin wanted to sue my high school because the W we used on our logo was so similar. I think what ended things was the fact that their W has squares at the top, but on ours the middle one was a point.

Also the fact that no one is going to confuse the Badgers with a high school team who was so lovely the majority of the home crowd was only there to see the marching band.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Komet posted:

Isn't there some formal system that allows high schools to use college logos? Not sure a out NFL ones.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

swickles posted:

Isn't there some formal system that allows high schools to use college logos? Not sure a out NFL ones.

I don’t know about any “formal” system one way or another but close to 100% of Oklahoma high schools with a mascot that matches a college or pro team just uses the college or pro logo

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Komet posted:

lol

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

There's also a school that is MV, but they took the West Virginia logo and just flipped the W upside down.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Kansas State logo is used by like half of the high school Wildcats/Cougars in the country.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Cthulu Carl posted:

Wisconsin wanted to sue my high school because the W we used on our logo was so similar. I think what ended things was the fact that their W has squares at the top, but on ours the middle one was a point.

Also the fact that no one is going to confuse the Badgers with a high school team who was so lovely the majority of the home crowd was only there to see the marching band.

This exact thing happened to my high school except when I was there both the band and football team were good! They ultimately just changed the W

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

swickles posted:

I don't believe there is a formal system. It's just not worth the backlash that would be generated for the colleges/NFL teams if they went after the violations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

PostNouveau posted:

I don't believe there is a formal system. It's just not worth the backlash that would be generated for the colleges/NFL teams if they went after the violations.

The problem is that IP has to be protected, otherwise they lose the trademark to everyone. It might be by state though where state and public schools can use their logos in good faith without a licensing agreement. If I have time later this morning I will research it a little more.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Kansas State logo is used by like half of the high school Wildcats/Cougars in the country.

Huh, I was going to make a joke here but sportslogos.net has gone way downhill. You can't save images anymore, or I can't figure how to without screenshotting them., also the joke was going to be the logo before Bill Snyder got there and they don't have any of that.

In my imagination it was pretty freaking doofy, the powercat change at least I was told was a big deal. I suppose I can't hate on a guy for trying to monetize his site that he's put a whole hell of a lot of work into, it's just not as fun anymore when I can't share stuff easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Grittybeard posted:

Huh, I was going to make a joke here but sportslogos.net has gone way downhill. You can't save images anymore, or I can't figure how to without screenshotting them., also the joke was going to be the logo before Bill Snyder got there and they don't have any of that.

In my imagination it was pretty freaking doofy, the powercat change at least I was told was a big deal. I suppose I can't hate on a guy for trying to monetize his site that he's put a whole hell of a lot of work into, it's just not as fun anymore when I can't share stuff easily.

Is that the helmet logo they used for their game vs Tulane last season?