Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The Australian government would go hog loving wild with NATO branding, the stupid pigs that we are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ukraine-says-complicated-situation-fighting-east-some-success-south-2023-07-18/

Good news for ukraine, situation in the east is not bad, merely complicated

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

stephenthinkpad posted:

I thought they were going to send 30 lawnmowers to Kyiv.

like Nix says, the footage is old, but the Russians are also claiming they struck Odessa last night.

Endman posted:

fields of UXO could certainly disable manoeuvre

A lot of what he says in the thread is plainly true but the most interesting tidbit to me was this:

https://twitter.com/HoansSolo/status/1681240490417573894?s=20

A lot of people are taking the "tube superiority" line and running with it, without the caveat that the Russians still outclass the UAF in rocket artillery. I'm sure FF could explain this, but I'm not sure if "fire superiority" in tubes means accuracy of fires or volume.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Endman posted:

The Australian government would go hog loving wild with NATO branding, the stupid pigs that we are

The distance between Australia to Beijing is longer than the distance between Beijing to Turkey, a current NATO country.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Don't recall seeing this posted ITT.

https://twitter.com/Ch_Trebesch/status/1676937085595394049?s=20

https://twitter.com/Ch_Trebesch/status/1676937093338021891?s=20

Love the Nordic Mr. Burnses deciding they'd rather keep their weapons.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Again, I think the fact that Russia has decided to use building new housing as their PR stunt to assure the people in the newly annexed oblasts things will be better is telling. It's still a PR stunt, but it also demonstrates that Russia is aware that providing for basic needs is how you win the people over, and also that they are interested in winning the people over at all. Neither of those are necessarily a given.

Russian rule will probably be a positive for ethnic Russians in the area considering their language and culture was being repressed, and neutral to negative for everyone else. Ethnic Ukrainians are 100% going to be accused of being spies or sympathetic to Kiev. That's just the kind of poo poo that happens. War heightens ethnic tensions. It sucks. War bad.

Economically Russia remains a liberal capitalist state, but I can't imagine a worse fate than being looted by the IMF or western capital so it's honestly probably a better outlook than what they would have had under Ukraine. That's not the same thing as 'good', just 'marginally less exploited' especially considering how indebted Ukraine is going to end up being.

I feel like being captured by Ukraine leads to a worse outcome for the people who live there than remaining with Russia at this point, and that's before taking into account the damage from a Ukrainian offensive.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Don't recall seeing this posted ITT.

https://twitter.com/Ch_Trebesch/status/1676937085595394049?s=20

https://twitter.com/Ch_Trebesch/status/1676937093338021891?s=20

Love the Nordic Mr. Burnses deciding they'd rather keep their weapons.

Tbh if production of military resources is as limited as estimates are leading us to believe, if I had even the slightest fear ww3 was about to pop off I'd be saving everything for myself

Every missile and shell and tank sent to Ukraine is one they won't have later on and the people in Scandinavia have a lot to lose

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Been reading the US press today and deffo seeing this take being pushed across multiple publications lol.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

paul_soccer12 posted:

Reading about O P E R A T I O N UNIFIER

Where we accidentally trained some nazis
Saw this tidbit

https://jacobin.com/2022/12/canadian-military8-train-ukrainian-fascists-azov-centuria

Frosted Flakes stop using my own tax dollars to monitor my posts

Tip of the iceberg on this stuff but you’ll have to do your own research

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Pistol_Pete posted:

Been reading the US press today and deffo seeing this take being pushed across multiple publications lol.

does any of them mention "defeating the russian btg" or how we have been training the ukrainians to fight?

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Christ this can't really be Ukraine's strategy right

How do you win a war of attrition against a vastly superior force? Yeah the Taliban did it but it took twenty years and Ukraine is not in the Hindu Kush. Hell the afghan soviet war lasted ten years!

With how limited Ukraine's resources are Russia can just rebuild and replace defenses, especially once Ukraine pops the cork on cluster bombs.

Engorged Pedipalps has issued a correction as of 14:11 on Jul 18, 2023

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
From everything I have been seeing and from what is being reported, I highly doubt the Ukrainians have an advantage in tube artillery. if anything everything suggests (leaked intel/weapon shipments etc) that they are hurting in that regard.

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

How do you win a war of attrition against a vastly superior force? Yeah the Taliban did it but it took twenty years and Ukraine is not in the Hindu Kush. Hell the afghan soviet war lasted ten years!

With how limited Ukraine's resources are Russia can just rebuild and replace defenses, especially once Ukraine pops the cork on cluster bombs.

Ukraine has a much of independent brigades of about 2k each at full strength, and they have clearly had difficulty coordinating them properly. They can't conduct combined arms operations, because...they would need arms.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

Should add a six day of training for combined arms operations at scale imo

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Eric Schmidt *just* said on CNN yesterday that Russia was firing about 60k shells / day

E: Link to the interview w/timestamp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjInnRL-HUg&t=114s

Buffer has issued a correction as of 14:20 on Jul 18, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Has Ukraine just tried to manoeuvre better? Maybe do some sick donuts in their tanks to slow motion matrix dodge incoming shells in air or some infantry triple ninja backflips through the mine fields, a machinegun in each hand?

They need to try harder. Really show they have the will.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The Taliban did it because the coalition and our clients were worse than they were, and they could form a kind of government in parallel like a reactionary Islamic Maoist cadre.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

NATO trained them wrong. They are throwing ukraine under the bus saying they are doing things wrong while quietly swapping back to division level structures because they know the BCTs are useless against grinding battles of attrition

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

NATO trained them wrong. They are throwing ukraine under the bus saying they are doing things wrong while quietly swapping back to division level structures because they know the BCTs are useless against grinding battles of attrition

This too. They trained the Ukranians they got their hands on for counter insurgency tactics. Nothing combined arms or frontline. Basically a complete waste.

Is NATO even capable of teaching what it may not currently understand itself? Institutions are made of people and people move on. They leave. Time marches on.

Tony Tone
Jun 14, 2020

by vyelkin
Got high and stumbled across a bunch of hosed up gore videos of Ukrainian drones with cameras and tiny fragmentation bomblets strapped unto them.

They zoom across the battlefield with HD and thermal cameras looking for soldiers sleeping in foxholes, wounded soldiers post-battle, stragglers, cars and APCs and just drop that poo poo directly on top of the persons head from like 30-40 meters. It's completely hosed up lmao.

There is a particular video of a soldier lying wounded presumably just after a fight, barely able to move. Surrounded by corpses and ash, accepting his fate, he tries to commit suicide with one arm and an AK, and fumbles for several long minutes before giving up. The drone keeps recording, zooming on his face, pausing, and then dropping a bomb on the dude that takes out his right hand completely. He appears still, but after a long time looks directly at the drone, then the drone comes back and drops a second bomb just to make sure. Just bombing corpses and dying men. Going as far as loving WAITING for the dude on the off-chance he's not 100% dead.

In another video, after dropping a bomb on a group of soldiers, the drone waits for the medic to arrive and for the rest of the men to carry the wounded on a stretcher. Once they pick him up, the drone drops another bomb and it's a direct hit on one of the stretcher carriers. They all drop dead instantly, except one. He crawls away a bit and then stops moving.

There are hundreds of these videos. I wont link them, and it's probably old news for this thread, but loving lmao and lol that these are supposed to be my countrymen and the "good guys". Slaughtering the loving wounded, zooming in on their faces to really capture the look of horror as bomb after bomb dismembers their limbs.

A man hiding desperately in a ditch, mangled corpses around him everywhere. He tries to patch himself up, wait for someone to come for him. Suddenly an explosion literally 1m away. This guy already knows. He cant run. His bone is sticking out of his left leg. He looks up several times. He knows the drone has a second bomb. He grabs the AK, and this one, this time, actually manages to punch out. The look of terror in all of their faces is universally bloodcurdling, and Ive seen gore.

Slava

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Tony Tone
Jun 14, 2020

by vyelkin
Like, this poo poo is even worse than dying from some huge American drone that drops a whole missile on top of you. These are tiny rear end frag nades being spawned right on top of your head without you knowing, which then puncture your body with like a million tiny shrapnel while you were taking a poo poo. You then proceed to bleed out knowing your squad mates cant come near you even if they could, and the only choice is either killing yourself or just hope the drone has a second bomblet to drop directly on your face.

Tony Tone has issued a correction as of 14:45 on Jul 18, 2023

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

sir,

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Tony Tone posted:

Got high and stumbled across a bunch of hosed up gore videos of Ukrainian drones with cameras and tiny fragmentation bomblets strapped unto them.

This got to the point where people were running sponsoring drives to pay for them and the people filming the drops were writing people's Twitter handles on the bombs

Iirc somebody on gbs or d&d tried to start that poo poo here and got shut down immediately

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Just stumbling across hundreds of gore videos and posting detailed descriptions of them with my own editorialization, as one does when just stumblin' around the internet

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Thanks for describing the snuff film you watched

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Or is that a syq

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

mlmp08 posted:

Just stumbling across hundreds of gore videos and posting detailed descriptions of them with my own editorialization, as one does when just stumblin' around the internet

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

Thanks for describing the snuff film you watched

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
jesus tony

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Please gently caress off

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I understand your shock but there's 2 other threads receptive to this

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Also watching gore videos while high sounds like an awful time

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Snuff Film "Because I Got High" remix not as welcome as the original

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
When I get high I just want to eat chips and cheese but it takes all sorts to make a world

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
describing gore videos in painstaking detail is barely any better than just posting the link, but in this case it seems like Tony Tone isn't actually liking it and is talking about how repulsive it is?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1672497134170415104/pu/vid/848x480/s5dJCiX_VNbUxbtN.mp4?tag=12

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Big no to that gore posting

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

gradenko_2000 posted:

describing gore videos in painstaking detail is barely any better than just posting the link, but in this case it seems like Tony Tone isn't actually liking it and is talking about how repulsive it is?

I personally don't care if he likes it or not it's weird that he watched it, apparently all the way through, and decided to share. Disgusting freakposting

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
toneh

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Which is why he has to keep watching them and keeping notes, to determine just how much he didn't like them. And then he needed to share

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Tony Tone posted:

There are hundreds of these videos. I wont link them

yeah please don’t describe them in detail either, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

Right, but I don't think you want a bunch of poster diatribes describing, in graphic detail, dead and maimed people from videos those people watch online, as long as those descriptions wrap up with "and I think this is some really bad stuff" at the end