Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Pieces of Peace posted:

WoL's very thin amount of menace applied to Tosh made the eventual requirement to choose between him and Nova have a very unpleasant "sinister criminal black man versus attractive 'noble' white woman" element, especially farcical when they're both former dominion assassins turned against it.

The real reason he's suspicious is because voodoo dolls are not actually related to voodoo and that's how you know he's an infiltrator or other less than recommendable personage.

Also because it's always a treat to see the game twist itself into making each and every of Jim's poorly thought out decisions right, retroactively if necessary.

Also, and furthermore, vanadium already exists and isn't an alloy, mister science guy, who I must now suspect of being another infiltrator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

AEROGAVINS!!!

yes I know it's technically not a tank

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I mean, flying tanks exist. They're called attack helicopters.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

You know, I never questioned that Tosh might be part of a "criminal element" or whatever, but I think that's because the game already told me Tychus is hiding something right from the start. Tosh is a Ghost, so of course he's effectively a hyper criminal. I'd almost liken him to the "oh boy, here I go killing again" guy from Rick and Morty.

Sure, he's doing stuff for his own reasons, but Tychus isn't telling us why Moebius keeps hiring us so :shrug:

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

SIGSEGV posted:

The real reason he's suspicious is because voodoo dolls are not actually related to voodoo and that's how you know he's an infiltrator or other less than recommendable personage.

Apparently the reason why he's all into voodoo is because his grandma thought his psionic abilities were voodoo-related and then they got tossed out of his hometown because people got afraid of his "weirdness".

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

Props to going for the Goliath upgrades - I agree that the units are fun and cool and it'll be good to see them outside of their mission, but they do need their upgrades. I kinda wish their mission was less Void Ray-heavy and more Colossus-heavy, as those absolutely toast Marines while still being vulnerable to the Goliath's air attack.

Also Spartan Company are a good AA panic button.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I was gonna wait until the decision actually comes up, but yeah let's say broadly the way Wings handles player choice is extremely mediocre. Some of the choices are, hm, slightly more blatantly awful than others though and you are all talking about the worst!

I don't know if they had no confidence in their writing, no confidence in their players, or no confidence in general but ... wings' story has so, so many bad parts.

I also to this day don't understand how they built a campaign designed to let you spotlight new units on acquiring them and then making those units poo poo in their showcase missions. How???? Bliz found a way.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

We are getting everyone's favorite tank.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Unit Spotlight: Goliath

• Cost: 150 minerals, 50 gas, 3 Supply
  • Production Structure: Factory w/ Tech Lab
  • Health: 125
  • Armor: 1 (+1)
  • Attack (Autocannon): 18 (+1)
  • Range: 6
  • Attack Speed: 1.5
  • Attack (Hellfire Missiles): 8 (+2) x2, +8 vs Armored
  • Range: 6
  • Attack Speed: 1.5
  • Attributes: Armored, Mechanical

My boy... look what they've done to my boy...

Goliaths now cost an extra 50 minerals and an extra supply, severely limiting how many you can cram into your army. The cost boost means that they now have to compete with three Marines on DPS so they fall behind on damage, and an upgraded Marauder has identical defensive stats and can be backed by Medics, so they can't keep up as a frontline tank.

That's not to say that they're out and out bad like, say, Reapers, Hellions, and Firebats, mind you. They have a decent bit of punch and their Armory upgrades gives them their old dedicated anti-air niche from Brood War. They're just... mid. Something you field for funsies because you're bored of having a Marine/Marauder/Medic death ball rolling over every mission.

Also, their new sounds loving suck.

Armory Upgrades:

Multi-Lock Weapons System
  • Cost: 50,000 Credits.
  • Goliaths can use both weapons at the same time.
This improved version of the Goliath allows the Missile Launcher and Autocannons to acquire separate targets and fire simultaneously. This upgrade is ideal when facing ground targets with heavy air support.

At the very least, Goliaths get a fun armory upgrade. Being able to shoot two things at once is a rather powerful tool, effectively giving them 33 DPS in ideal conditions, and it has a reasonable cost.

Ares-Class Targeting System
  • Cost: 80,000 Credits.
  • Autocannon range is increased by 1. Missile range is increased by 3.
This advanced Targeting System lets the Goliath's missiles locate and lock on to more distant targets.

The Targeting System also features an AI that can better predict the paths of moving targets, letting the Goliath's Autocannons hit ground targets from a greater distance.

With this, there are exactly two units that can outrange a Goliath's missiles, and one of them is ours. The boost to ground range also helps the Goliath stay behind the easily healable Marauders, cutting down on attrition.

Mercenary: Spartan Company

A remnant from the defeated UED expeditionary force, the Spartans now use their advanced equipment to provide support to the highest bidder.
  • Hiring Cost: 40,000 Credits
  • Mission Cost: 300 minerals, 125 gas, 6 supply
  • Squad Size: 2 Elite Goliaths
  • Hiring Cap: 2 squads
  • Cooldown: 6 minutes
  • Stat boosts: +33% Health, +33% Damage

Cheap to buy and you don't need to tech up to a Factory if you're going bio. Honestly, Mercs in general are good to buy just because you can easily splash them into any army.

Field Manual Artwork

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I wonder why they went away from the over hangy guns from 1. Readability? They don't look terrible but they seem comparatively pretty beefy and generic now

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Goliaths were always my favorite Terran unit in SC1. I was sad when I realized they aren't used in SC2 other than the Terran campaign. Hordes of stompy boys was the best way to win a campaign map for me as a dumb kid

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Per Blizzard's early videos about SC2, I think the idea is that goliaths were cut because Blizzard wanted a more mobile, aggressive style of play and felt that goliaths contributed to what they perceived as a static, slow-moving style of play.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Another interesting thing to note about the Goliath is that it has a bunch of model variations. There's several different paint jobs on the cockpit that can pop up at random. I don't remember if that happens in the campaign, and it's hard to tell looking at the screenshots from above, but it's pretty noticeable in the editor.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Goliaths aren't in multiplayer, so it must do that in campaign if it happens at all.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Goliaths aren't in multiplayer, so it must do that in campaign if it happens at all.

Swan gets goliaths in co-op too, but the variations have been in since wings. But yeah, if it's not in the campaign the randomized paint jobs are cut content they left in the editor.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FoolyCharged posted:

Swan gets goliaths in co-op too, but the variations have been in since wings. But yeah, if it's not in the campaign the randomized paint jobs are cut content they left in the editor.

Nova also gets goliaths in co-op, and hers are pretty dang useful since in my experience she's usually using her barracks cooldown on ghosts and goliaths are a good flex pick that can work against any target, plus they have Nova's lockdown missiles if you're facing Terran or Protoss.

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

Yeah it's interesting comparing Swann's Goliaths to the WoL Goliaths. Swann's have more HP, longer range, and most crucially no longer suffer from the insane choice of being 3 supply.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Looks like they do get the different paint jobs in the campaign. This guy on reddit found them hunting campaign achievements. It's also got a pic.
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/8lqhd1/awesome_art_detail_on_goliaths/

Cythereal posted:

Nova also gets goliaths in co-op, and hers are pretty dang useful since in my experience she's usually using her barracks cooldown on ghosts and goliaths are a good flex pick that can work against any target, plus they have Nova's lockdown missiles if you're facing Terran or Protoss.

Yeah, but Nova gets a big model change as opposed to variable reskins.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
The old Goliath design was cooler, in my opinion.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Been lurking while following the LP but just emerged to say the old SC1/Broodwar Goliath voice line for being built is seared into my brain. And I have a pretty bad memory in general!

"Goliath online."

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

BisbyWorl posted:

Field Manual Artwork

Wow they didn't even care enough about Goliaths to scrawl something funny on their page. Plus now they just look like something out of Battletech, which while not really a bad thing, is entirely too grounded for Starcraft.

E: Goliaths were always something that I desperately wanted to like, but swarms of Marines were just too good (and delightfully splattery). They ended up being basically a resource dump if everything else was operating at capacity. (I was not a multiplayer person.)

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 18, 2023

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Did Paul Verhooven threaten to sue or something? Why did they move away from the ED209 aesthetic from BW?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

I'm not very enthused about the model. The SC1 was... not better, but I liked it better. It looked more bulbous, sorta fit in with the overall aesthetic better.

Are Terrans better as a bio army as compared to SC1?

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Terran Bio Balls are insanely powerful in the campaign and can stomp it into the ground even on Brutal. In multiplayer I know they also used to be a massive threat, though I have no idea if that is still the case.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

BisbyWorl posted:

Field Manual Artwork

I could absolutely make this in MegaMek.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
It looks like what the inner sphere would call a MAD-ARC

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

BisbyWorl posted:

Field Manual Artwork

Battletech would like a word.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
I like the dong-gun that's just there for flavor.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Calax posted:

Battletech would like a word.

It's kind of Mad Dog-ish, but it looks a bit more... I dunno, like a smaller Light Mech. Can't quite remember which one, but it's like a small Argus.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Mathing it out in my head, a Battlemech based on that design would be an undergunned deathtrap unless it was upscaled considerably. If kept at its current size, it'd have multiple small, ammo-dependent weapons, leading to anemic damage output and a tendency to explode violently when shot.

Swap the autocannons for lasers and you'd probably have something workable though. Can keep the crotch-gun as a CT machinegun for flavor.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Bloody Pom posted:

Mathing it out in my head, a Battlemech based on that design would be an undergunned deathtrap unless it was upscaled considerably. If kept at its current size, it'd have multiple small, ammo-dependent weapons, leading to anemic damage output and a tendency to explode violently when shot.

Swap the autocannons for lasers and you'd probably have something workable though. Can keep the crotch-gun as a CT machinegun for flavor.

Sucking absolute poo poo and being poorly considered is the natural state of most canon Battletech designs, though, which is part of why the games are often so trivial, because a player given the same tonnage to toy with can usually create a far more efficient and purpose-built death machine.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Honestly just the scale alone puts it in Protomech territory, and those things are an affront to reason and sensibility of the highest order :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bloody Pom posted:

Two autocannons of some description, two LRM racks, maybe a flamer if you want to nod to the scrapped original design from SC1.

Sounds to me like an Archer and a Rifleman had a drunken one-night stand and this popped out.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Cythereal posted:

Sounds to me like an Archer and a Rifleman had a drunken one-night stand and this popped out.

So a Jagermech, basically.

smdvogrin
Mar 8, 2019

Cythereal posted:

Two autocannons of some description, two LRM racks, maybe a flamer if you want to nod to the scrapped original design from SC1.

You can do a pretty reasonable Introtech version at 50 tons with 2 LAC/5 (only technically not-Introtech), 2 LRM-10s, 4 total tons of ammo, moving 4/6 and 7.5 tons of armor. Honestly would not be a bad fire support mech in 3025.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

painedforever posted:

I'm not very enthused about the model. The SC1 was... not better, but I liked it better. It looked more bulbous, sorta fit in with the overall aesthetic better.

Are Terrans better as a bio army as compared to SC1?

There are two fundamental changes between BW and SC2 that make Terran bio significantly better:
1) You can have more than 12 units in a control group.
2) Pathfinding is indescribably so much better.

You can have 40 marines and medics on one control group (and they even added an "All Army" key if you don't want to use control groups!), and amove around. As long as you know some basic micro tricks (e.g., don't walk your marines into a big AoE zone; don't just move command into the enemy), Terran bio is basically the best all-around composition that is fairly simple to produce and control in all of SC2.

This is true even current professional multiplayer. Late game fights are pretty complex, but the composition doesn't change from its core.

ed: This thread got me to try to polish off the campaign achievements. Let's see if I can get through them all. Except 500k Lost Viking, gently caress that one.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

There's one other big change for bio:
It heals at range. That means pretty much zero downtime for your healers in battle keeping dudes in the fight. No more hoping the medic can waddle over in time to save that marine.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Synastren posted:

ed: This thread got me to try to polish off the campaign achievements. Let's see if I can get through them all. Except 500k Lost Viking, gently caress that one.
GiantGrantGames did all of them in 24 hours few days ago. Yes, including 500k Lost Viking.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
500k lost Viking is pretty easy actually, if you have a macro to auto-tap space for you while it’s held down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

Synastren posted:

There are two fundamental changes between BW and SC2 that make Terran bio significantly better:
1) You can have more than 12 units in a control group.
2) Pathfinding is indescribably so much better.

I'd add a third thing, which is that to compensate for them being much easier to use, spellcasters are significantly weaker in SC2. No more Dark Swarm or Plague, and while Psi-Storm is still around it's much weaker. Spellcasters are a big threat to bio in BW so this makes life a lot easier for them.