Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Tiny Timbs posted:

Edit: nm I mixed up Tomorrow and Tomorrow with Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow when I searched lol

one is a track from Final Fantasy 14, and one is a sililoquy from Shakespeare lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

For King you can grab literally anything between the 70s and 90s and it's probably good. If you want to ease in a bit get one of the short story collections, Night Shift or Skeleton Crew ideally

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I think Night Shift has The Langoliers, which is probably one of my favorite short stories by King. It's too damned good.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Vargatron posted:

I think Night Shift has The Langoliers, which is probably one of my favorite short stories by King. It's too damned good.

Nope, Four Past Midnight has that one. Which is too bad because Langoliers is rad, but the other three are not the best.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I loved the Langoliers, in spite of its flaws, but couldn't finish any of the other three in Four Past Midnight. I tried each one and DNF'ed each of them.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sun Dog is fine but generic, same with Secret Window (plus you can see the twist coming a mile away), but Library Policeman is easily one of his worst.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Opopanax posted:

Library Policeman is easily one of his worst.
i dunno, i'll always remember

i'm a poleeeth mannn

over almost any other scene or line from any King piece. probably because it's so fuckin' doofy

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Shrecknet posted:

i dunno, i'll always remember

i'm a poleeeth mannn

over almost any other scene or line from any King piece. probably because it's so fuckin' doofy

Oh, I didn't say it wasn't memorable. Child rape usually is

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Rereading It at the moment and the part with Beverly and her husband at the beginning is loving hard to read. I felt anxious even though I knew what was gonna happen in the end.

Segue
May 23, 2007

I just finished My Heart is a Chainsaw and all I can say is what the fuuuuuuuuuck.

I loved some parts (the climax), hated others (the laggy middle) and went back and forth on others (our horror thesaurus, very teenage, very traumatized protagonist).

Jones is just throwing everything at the wall in this, so many themes of family and generational trauma and different horror influences (all annotated) and a whole lot of it drags in endless buildup but when he gets a full head of steam and the end you just get overwhelmed by his talents as a writer. I had to set it down a few times it was getting so intense.

Still a lot of unanswered questions, and I guess I have to pick up the second in the trilogy but I don't know if my poor anxiety can handle that right now.

Also finished Between Two Fires. Nice little monster quest, even if it tangled its ending a bit, good rec and still quite unique as everyone was saying.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Camp Damascus, Chuck Tingle's legit horror book, is out today, buckaroos :toot:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Opopanax posted:

Chuck Tingle's legit horror novel. Don't forget Straight!

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Opopanax posted:

Order button pounded in the butt by curious goon

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Good Citizen posted:

Order button pounded in the butt by curious goon

same, same

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Opopanax posted:

How buttsexish is it?

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Iirc it’s set at a conversion camp sooo

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
finished The Gone World last night, the ending felt a little rushed and the characters constantly confused at obvious things are my only gripes (it made for some tedious dialogue). Really like the imagery of the Vardogger though and a really fun read.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My weekend has been planned.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

King has since said that The Tommyknockers was not a good book, that it was the last book he wrote before he cleaned up his act, and that his writing generally suffered during his period of substance abuse. So, exactly when was this period because it came out in ‘87, the same year he put out Misery, a year after he wrote It, and three after he wrote Pet Semetary. Or at least published them, I guess, was he just turning in old manuscripts?

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

meat nonsense, beef pork goat nonsense

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Who knows about king, wasn't it cujo he was so hosed up he didn't remember writing it at all?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

zoux posted:

King has since said that The Tommyknockers was not a good book, that it was the last book he wrote before he cleaned up his act, and that his writing generally suffered during his period of substance abuse. So, exactly when was this period because it came out in ‘87, the same year he put out Misery, a year after he wrote It, and three after he wrote Pet Semetary. Or at least published them, I guess, was he just turning in old manuscripts?

Pet Sematary was written in 1979. It only got published at all because King missed a contractual deadline due to It taking four years to write and him having to provide them with something. That's around the time he began switching from booze to pills - you can tell because the detail on prescription meds increases.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Jedit posted:

Pet Sematary was written in 1979. It only got published at all because King missed a contractual deadline due to It taking four years to write and him having to provide them with something. That's around the time he began switching from booze to pills - you can tell because the detail on prescription meds increases.

Percodans, Quaaludes, Vicodins... he loves to name drop those in his 80s books.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Vargatron posted:

Percodans, Quaaludes, Vicodins... he loves to name drop those in his 80s books.

He wasn't just dropping the names, is why.

HouseOfLeaves99
Mar 20, 2009
Recently re-read The Stand and was kinda amazed at how often he just threw the n-word around even with characters who probably wouldn't use that word. Some definitely would. Reminded me when Tarantino would go wild with it. Like in True Romance. I'm not a prude at all but it seemed so forced. Was gonna go back and re read other King like TommyKnockers and Salem's Lot. Anything I need to be ready for? I spent 3 days in ISS for It so I already know about it.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

HouseOfLeaves99 posted:

Recently re-read The Stand and was kinda amazed at how often he just threw the n-word around even with characters who probably wouldn't use that word. Some definitely would. Reminded me when Tarantino would go wild with it. Like in True Romance. I'm not a prude at all but it seemed so forced. Was gonna go back and re read other King like TommyKnockers and Salem's Lot. Anything I need to be ready for? I spent 3 days in ISS for It so I already know about it.

Tommyknockers only has one bit that's kind of sus with regard to race. The other stuff is typical King fare.

I don't think you're being a prude or anything. Some things haven't aged well comparatively and it's fine to call that out. While I don't excuse it necessarily, I just bear in mind that those questionable elements were a product of the times.

Overall I don't ascribe malice to any of King's portrayals. I think he's just trying to tell a story with the characters. But it's not always handled well, especially with the way that he writes women in some novels.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Opopanax posted:

For King you can grab literally anything between the 70s and 90s and it's probably good. If you want to ease in a bit get one of the short story collections, Night Shift or Skeleton Crew ideally

I love most of King's stuff but when it comes to stuff from the 90s I'd avoid Desperation and The Regulators. They were ok but I didn't find 'em worth the effort really.

The only truly bad books of his I've read are the last three Dark Tower ones. I loving loved the first books in the series so it was a huge letdown when he released these; felt like he was just rushing to get them done at this point.

Also, if you dig older King then Joe Hill is worth checking out. NOS4A2 feels like late 70s King.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

HouseOfLeaves99 posted:

Stephen got a pass

I don’t know under what circumstances but it is clear he got one

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Clayton Bigsby posted:

The only truly bad books of his I've read are the last three Dark Tower ones. I loving loved the first books in the series so it was a huge letdown when he released these; felt like he was just rushing to get them done at this point.

He explicitly was. He already knew that if he didn't crack on he'd never finish it, but then his accident crystallised it in his mind.

Segue
May 23, 2007

We'll I just finished Tell Me I'm Worthless and need to recover for a few days. What an absolutely brutal novel that somehow still hums.

Rumfitt's treatment feels so contemporary, unlike so much horror, channeling TERFS and British neo-fascism into a cry to keep fighting despite the overwhelming odds.

Having a haunted house repeat the Rivers of Blood speech and having a Stewart Lee epigraph are just icing on the cake.

Don't know how you'd read it with a personal closeness to those issues. Even at my cis Canadian distance it required a lot of putting down.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus
It’s so good. The ‘sick house syndrome’ imagery applied to a Britain where everything is damp and angry and slowly falling apart was spot on.

GhastlyBizness fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 25, 2023

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I've been reading this novel called Our Wives Under the Sea by Julia Armfield and it was billed to me as kind of a romance/horror style book. The premise is that a person's wife comes back from a deep sea expedition that had some sort of accident and is changed. It's told in an alternating viewpoint between the two characters and some of the passages are really creepy body horror type stuff. It's not as explicit as some horror works in terms of descriptions, but it's got a very creepy vibe that I'm really liking.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Vargatron posted:

I've been reading this novel called Our Wives Under the Sea by Julia Armfield and it was billed to me as kind of a romance/horror style book. The premise is that a person's wife comes back from a deep sea expedition that had some sort of accident and is changed. It's told in an alternating viewpoint between the two characters and some of the passages are really creepy body horror type stuff. It's not as explicit as some horror works in terms of descriptions, but it's got a very creepy vibe that I'm really liking.

I thought it was an OK read but the entire time it felt like it was missing something and it ended up feeling a bit sluggish and disappointing. But it was odd enough to be interesting.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
anyone read Tremblay's new collection? I was terribly underwhelmed by Growing Things, but I am hoping this one will be an improvement over that

Help a goon out! Lots of books - horror, nonfiction, classics and more for sale.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Finished up Ballingrud’s The Strange this morning. Thread is right, definitely more horror-adjacent than straight horror, tho there’s definitely some cosmic horror-esque implications towards the end that make my brain wrinkle.

But otherwise a beautiful, sad, incredibly written little book. Cannot recommend it enough. Just don’t go in expecting normal horror Ballingrud, but if you love the quality of his prose and writing and the breadth of his imagination I cannot see how this would disappoint at all.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I thought it was an OK read but the entire time it felt like it was missing something and it ended up feeling a bit sluggish and disappointing. But it was odd enough to be interesting.

The parts on the submarine felt undercooked and weirdly reticent to go visceral with it. Not an awful book overall, but one that very much felt like one of the better Caitlin Kiernan stories about moody lesbians in a fraught relationship (and also spooky stuff) with the edges sanded down.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

never really popped in this thread before but in the past month I read The Magnolia by Andrew F. Sullivan (dystopian near-future with goop monsters), Tell Me I'm Worthless by Alison Rumfitt (haunted house by way of antifascist polemic), and Things Have Gotten Worse Since We Last Spoke by Eric LaRocca (three creepy novellas/short stories that get better as they go), all new horror from the past two years, all good to great.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I wasn’t really interested in any of those before but those are compelling descriptions, might pick em up now

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I DNFed Black and Endless Sky by Matthews Lyons because it was mediocre at best and went off the rails. I should've DNFed it after my first instinct 200 pages before but oh well. I'm really starting to appreciate a good novella, or short novel, I gotta say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I'm two-thirds through Negative Space by BR Yeager, and it's... something. I'm not even sure in liking it but I cannot stop reading it. It is extremely weird, surreal, and heartbreaking. Just a bunch of hosed-up kids experiencing an awful, awful time. Ironically enough now that I'm an old I feel bad for the parents, trying to understand something beyond their comprehension, committing generational sins without really realizing it.

Super intense CW: suicide, like a lot of it

I feel a combination of dread and excitement while pushing toward the end.

Are all of Yeagers books like this?

Also for those who have read,

is Lu trans? the author plays pretty fast and loose with the pronouns and while it's the vibe I'm getting, I didn't want to make assumptions with all the other weird poo poo going down.