Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Das Boo posted:

More BGs:

Fair bit of it!:

Back when we were on Zim, Jake was talking to me about how to approach Lois. I'm not about to pretend it was my idea, but it was my opinion that Lois shouldn't be no-nonsense and then get herself into predicaments where she has to be rescued all the time; that would make her look like an incompetent blowhard. I really like that he made her a chaotic good to Clark's lawful good. The focus is on her and Clark right now, but Jimmy will be coming into his own a little down the line.

I really enjoyed that dynamic in episode 3!

In general I really like this early dynamic of how they just met, they want very similar things but how they go about it causes friction. End of episode Clark just opening up and starting to bare his soul to her, only to then hear from her that she doesn't even believe him. Just a really good extra layer of her more rogueish ways vs his altruism, that she doesn't trust immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

MonsterEnvy posted:

One of the reasons most people don’t link Clark and Superman in many versions is because most people don’t know Superman has a secret identity. He tends to straight out tell people his background minus the Clark stuff.

Also big coke-bottle glasses can do a drat fine job obscuring your facial features because people are mostly going to focus on them.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Funky Valentine posted:

Also big coke-bottle glasses can do a drat fine job obscuring your facial features because people are mostly going to focus on them.
Tons of 80s and 90s teen comedies have proven this.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
And then you have versions like All-Star Superman where Clark has a totally different posture from when he's Superman that makes it a lot less obvious

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

drrockso20 posted:

And then you have versions like All-Star Superman where Clark has a totally different posture from when he's Superman that makes it a lot less obvious

Seeing the transformation from Clark to Kal-El is the highlight of any superman story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNUu6Lf9mVU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

People say they're the same person... I don't see it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Intergang was fun in the new episode. Wonder why Mist does not get to be in the OP.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Senerio posted:

People say they're the same person... I don't see it.

God, we did not deserve Tyler Hoechlin as Superman. He was just too good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Turns out Superman tends to be portrayed by actors.

Larryb posted:

And I assume that’s the reason the show is called My Adventures With Superman (it’s not just Clark’s story)

It's a very anime kind of title.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

nine-gear crow posted:

God, we did not deserve Tyler Hoechlin as Superman. He was just too good.

He's achieved the destiny of every Superman actor: voicing Sephiroth.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

He's achieved the destiny of every Superman actor: voicing Sephiroth.

That was the best part of Square publishing the cast list in advance of FF7 Remake, seeing Hoechlin's name as Sephiroth and going "They did it AGAIN?!"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

That was the best part of Square publishing the cast list in advance of FF7 Remake, seeing Hoechlin's name as Sephiroth and going "They did it AGAIN?!"

What other Superman actors have also voiced Sephiroth?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

George Newbern, the guy who's done most of the animated Superman since the Justice League cartoon started back in 2001, has also done most of the voiced English language Sephiroths.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MikeJF posted:

George Newbern, the guy who's done most of the animated Superman since the Justice League cartoon started back in 2001, has also done most of the voiced English language Sephiroths.

Oh, wow, he was the guy from Wings' replacement. If I knew his name I forgot it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It's a sign, someday Lance Bass will be Superman

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I mean, this is the current Superman

https://twitter.com/JackQuaid92/status/1445847818720006145

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Superman, I just watched the third episode. I was sort of expecting Heat Wave to be next given the recent tweet but Intergang was good too.

I’m really hoping Clark reveals his identity to Lois and Jimmy sooner rather than later since he literally lives with the latter and the former already suspects he’s (or at least Superman’s) full of crap

In regards to Lois, I’ve gotta say that Alice Lee is really good for what’s apparently her first voice acting job

Also if the Wikipedia article is correct, we’ve got a few more confirmed characters for the series now: Lana Lang, Parasite, and Supergirl

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 15, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

And I eagerly await Jack Quaid's take on Sephiroth too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, wow, he was the guy from Wings' replacement. If I knew his name I forgot it.

Tim Daly.

Fatman6942!
Jul 3, 2023

by vyelkin

Das Boo posted:

Kinda like Zim, we were told "near future in another universe."

archer was the best of being weird about time and place

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mXiy-Rx5IU

Just want to take a moment to appreciate Perry

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Can we also appreciate that Jimmy is absolutely correct about everything?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Since we apparently have VAs for them now I’ll be curious to see what Lana and Supergirl are like in this series (still no Lex oddly enough)

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Electric Phantasm posted:

I loved that scene. I feel for Perry. It's gotta be really stressful dealing with interns that keep ending up in the middle of super villain attacks.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Gotta say, nothing in MAWS so far has given me a more powerful sense of dread than seeing a trio of dumb young kids with big dreams calling their little found family 'Intergang'.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

re: superman glasses thing

apparently in recent years, they made a retcon that superman had an additional never before mentioned power to cast illusions or some poo poo, so when people saw him as clark, there was much more of a difference than just superman with glasses

Das Boo posted:

The first episode of MAWS I worked on premiered last night! :toot:

Here's the first BG I did for the show, spoilered since it's still early. I'm just excited.

meant to congratulate you earlier. great work!

Electric Phantasm posted:

forget the name of the dude voicing perry but it's great to see him still doing work. used to be a real prominent VA in the 90s, but haven't heard him in anything notable in a long time.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mr Interweb posted:

re: superman glasses thing

apparently in recent years, they made a retcon that superman had an additional never before mentioned power to cast illusions or some poo poo, so when people saw him as clark, there was much more of a difference than just superman with glasses

meant to congratulate you earlier. great work!

forget the name of the dude voicing perry but it's great to see him still doing work. used to be a real prominent VA in the 90s, but haven't heard him in anything notable in a long time.

While it’s possible a modern comic referenced this at some point, what you’re talking about is old school Silver Age comics Superman powers.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Captain Oblivious posted:

While it’s possible a modern comic referenced this at some point, what you’re talking about is old school Silver Age comics Superman powers.

oh.

well whatever. the point is they gave that explanation at some point lol

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The post-Crisis version from John Byrne is that as Superman he moves his face around at super-speed so it’s hard to see a lot of detail. I don’t know how that works when he’s having a conversation with someone.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The actual explanation used by most writers is "Clark is a pretty good actor and wears loose-fitting clothes and huge glasses."

mystes
May 31, 2006

Everyone in the superman universe is just face blind

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Funky Valentine posted:

The actual explanation used by most writers is "Clark is a pretty good actor and wears loose-fitting clothes and huge glasses."

Also like said earlier in the thread, probably, is people would just look at Clark and go 'hey you look like Superman!' and not think he is Superman like people say 'hey, you look like <famous person>' without thinking that it's really whomever standing in line behind them at Subway.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

From what I understand from the comics/other media, the general consensus among the public (or at least in Lex Luthor’s opinion) is that Superman doesn’t have a secret identity because nobody that powerful would bother disguising themselves as a normal man

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He doesn’t invite speculation about a secret identity because he doesn’t wear a mask, he’s always out doing stuff during the day, and he has a house at the south pole. It would be like thinking Keanu Reeves has a secret identity. Batman plants the idea in your head by being so mysterious about everything. If you don’t wear a mask, most people would never think of it.

Plus, how many people have seen Superman up-close? He’s a white guy with black hair a big chin. There are probably memes about how he looks like Clark Kent and a dozen other vaguely notable people, but because they’re generic white guys. Bruce Wayne kind of looks like Superman too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Besides, the butts don't even match.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

MikeJF posted:

Besides, the butts don't even match.

Clark Kent uses his Super Muscle Control to change the shape of his rear end.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I AM GRANDO posted:

He doesn’t invite speculation about a secret identity because he doesn’t wear a mask, he’s always out doing stuff during the day, and he has a house at the south pole. It would be like thinking Keanu Reeves has a secret identity. Batman plants the idea in your head by being so mysterious about everything. If you don’t wear a mask, most people would never think of it.

Plus, how many people have seen Superman up-close? He’s a white guy with black hair a big chin. There are probably memes about how he looks like Clark Kent and a dozen other vaguely notable people, but because they’re generic white guys. Bruce Wayne kind of looks like Superman too.

How many stories have include Bruce and Clark cosplaying as each other? I know did it at least twice in the TAS shows.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I Am Fowl posted:

Clark Kent uses his Super Muscle Control to change the shape of his rear end.

The super suit has rear end padding. Clark Kent has a natural Hank Hill rear end. I'm sorry you had to find out this way.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I still think the funniest answer to this question was a comic where another superhero asked Superman if people ever noticed he looked like Superman when he is Clark Kent. Because Superman just looks at the guy and went "yeah, all the time. And, do you know what I say when someone points that out? I just go 'Yeah, I get that a lot.'"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Dawgstar posted:

Also like said earlier in the thread, probably, is people would just look at Clark and go 'hey you look like Superman!' and not think he is Superman like people say 'hey, you look like <famous person>' without thinking that it's really whomever standing in line behind them at Subway.

See: Tony Hawk