Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Not really sure if this is a “tech nightmare” or if it’s a “people bad at using tech nightmare” but either way it’s kind of bad.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-66226873

On the one hand, I don’t think you can blame the users for typing .ml instead of .mil because people make mistakes and it’s just a 1 letter difference.

On the other hand, those users should probably not be emailing PII like “medical records” or sensitive information like “maps of US military facilities” through unencrypted email. And they most definitely should not be emailing “passwords” at all, period.

I think the most amazing part of this poo poo is that somehow, nobody blocked foreign domains in outgoing e-mails or put in any sort of flagging or confirmation system to prevent exactly this sort of thing. We can drone strike the wrong wedding from across the globe, but we can't figure out we're sending thousands of e-mails to Mali?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Sundae posted:

I think the most amazing part of this poo poo is that somehow, nobody blocked foreign domains in outgoing e-mails or put in any sort of flagging or confirmation system to prevent exactly this sort of thing. We can drone strike the wrong wedding from across the globe, but we can't figure out we're sending thousands of e-mails to Mali?
Did you read the article? They did implement these measures. My guess is it prompts the sender to check the recipient and most people ignore the warning and just click send anyway. You can’t entirely block people from emailing specific domain names; presumably someone in the military at some point of time has a legitimate reason to email a Mali person.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Of all the reasons to spend military money, actually keeping soldiers fed, housed and healthy is actually one of the most important things for a professional military, both on a practical daily level and as an institution.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Vegetable posted:

Did you read the article? They did implement these measures. My guess is it prompts the sender to check the recipient and most people ignore the warning and just click send anyway. You can’t entirely block people from emailing specific domain names; presumably someone in the military at some point of time has a legitimate reason to email a Mali person.

I see that they say they implemented these measures. They clearly didn't work.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's common for homeowners associations to ban clotheslines.

Death to America

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Yeah, this seems like the sort of thing where you shouldn’t just flash up an OK/cancel warning that no-one will read, you should require people to literally enter the phrase “yes I want to send this email to Mali not military” for each email they send.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Yeah, here's the Financial Times article the BBC is sourcing from:

https://www.ft.com/content/ab62af67-ed2a-42d0-87eb-c762ac163cf0 (Paywalled)

quote:

[Lt. Cmdr Tim Gorman, a spokesman for the Pentagon,] said that emails sent directly from the .mil domain to Malian addresses “are blocked before they leave the .mil domain and the sender is notified that they must validate the email addresses of the intended recipients”.

So the IT has some controls blocking .mil to .ml emails, but the article also suggests that that isn't the issue:

quote:

One FBI agent with a naval role sought to forward six messages to their military email — and accidentally dispatched them to Mali.

The same person also forwarded a series of briefings on domestic US terrorism marked “For Official Use Only” and a global counter-terrorism assessment headlined “Not Releasable to the Public or Foreign Governments”. A “sensitive” briefing on efforts by Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps to use Iranian students and the Telegram messaging app to conduct espionage in the US was also included.

Gorman told the FT: “While it is not possible to implement technical controls preventing the use of personal email accounts for government business, the department continues to provide direction and training to DoD personnel.”

[…]

Many emails are from private contractors working with the US military. Twenty routine updates from defence contractor General Dynamics related to the production of grenade training cartridges to the army.

The issue is people sending email from outside of the military, to military email accounts. Someone booking a hotel for official travel and typing in general.whatever@army.ml, or contractors mistyping the email addresses, and so on.

It's also not a US exclusive thing:

quote:

The Dutch army uses the domain army.nl, a keystroke away from army.ml. There are more than a dozen emails from serving Dutch personnel that included discussions with Italian counterparts about an ammunition pick-up in Italy and detailed exchanges on Dutch Apache helicopters crews in the US.

E: I think the “tech” nightmare is how insecure email is if one single typo can send your poo poo to a foreign adversary but there doesn’t seem to be a way to fix that without full-on centralization and that’s something that prolly shouldn’t ever happen. The “people bad at using tech” nightmare are the people using insecure communications channels to communicate sensitive information. But what can you do about the latter? Training only gets you so much, but at the end of the day VIPs still need to book hotel reservations and that information needs to get emailed.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 18, 2023

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

dr_rat posted:

I was going to say isn't Phoenix known for having temps where putting it on a line would almost dry things quicker. If it's 35c+ and even a touch of wind drying stuff on the line is like ten minutes at most. Who'd use a dryer?

i'm in tucson and use a clothesline. dried clothes last week when it was around 108F or so and it took about 10-15min for clothes of normal thickness, 40-45min for quite thick socks. that said, tucson's always cooler than phoenix thanks to elevation and us not having a drat heat island effect, though, so things would dry a bit quicker there...probably. but the real problem here is then you'd be in phoenix, which is loving awful in almost every way imaginable.

the thing i don't understand is, if you have the ability to air-dry your clothes...why wouldn't you? they feel so much better and fresher! dryer-dried clothes always feel/smell a little...machney or something.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

poo poo, Mali is the place to be if you're a spy, eh

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Amphigory posted:

poo poo, Mali is the place to be if you're a spy, eh

Cameroon has dot cm, and China has dot cn. I think Colombia has dot co. Cameroon prolly gets a lot of wrong emails.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Well this happened even sooner than expected https://www.politico.com/news/2023/07/17/desantis-pac-ai-generated-trump-in-ad-00106695

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

I kind of figured AI generated misinformation is gonna be either the main or one of the main stories coming out of this next election. That generated audio of Trump was stilted and his cadence is so weird, but once they lock it down I don't think I would be able to tell the difference.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
If you post a picture of someone with text underneath, a significant portion of the people who see it will just assume it's a real, direct quote without any further interrogation. AI stuff will definitely make it *worse* but I'm not sure if it'll be, like, radically worse. Misinformation is already everywhere

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

abelwingnut posted:

the thing i don't understand is, if you have the ability to air-dry your clothes...why wouldn't you? they feel so much better and fresher! dryer-dried clothes always feel/smell a little...machney or something.
To air-dry your clothes, you have to be at home for an hour or so during the day time. If everybody in the household works, being able to throw the laundry in the dryer in the evening is a lifesaver.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

The audio waves animation is a small detail but one that adds insult to injury. It implies the audio is authentic.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Lemming posted:

If you post a picture of someone with text underneath, a significant portion of the people who see it will just assume it's a real, direct quote without any further interrogation. AI stuff will definitely make it *worse* but I'm not sure if it'll be, like, radically worse. Misinformation is already everywhere

Alot of it has to do with the quality of the fake primary documents that are being generated by AI. It's one thing to refute a bad headline but another when everyone is actually listening to the audio or seeing a video that is fake but looks convincingly real. Then the argument becomes about whether the event even happened, not whether the headline is lying about an event.

I'm interested in a debate about what a candidate supports with AI generated content pretending to be the candidates' actual words saying completely contrary things. I guess it just makes it easier to confirm our own biases if you can find audio and video of a person saying whatever you want.

Edit: The Trump one is kind of interesting because its apparently a tweet he put out and they just used AI to dictate it in Trumps voice. I don't really know if I would qualify that as misinformation since Trump said it, just in a different format.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Lemming posted:

Yeah but like the Trump grab them by the pussy thing wouldn't have been as impactful if it was actual audio of him.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

gurragadon posted:

I kind of figured AI generated misinformation is gonna be either the main or one of the main stories coming out of this next election. That generated audio of Trump was stilted and his cadence is so weird, but once they lock it down I don't think I would be able to tell the difference.

But nobody will notice because they'll be too busy watching their AI generated Star Wars movies where Disney doesn't have to pay anyone residuals.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
You know how sometimes you see a movie with just absolute dogshit writing, but the actors somehow manage to make it work? So long to that I guess.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

To be fair I can't really tell the difference between AI and non-AI Disney Star Wars stuff anyway. Weren't they already bringing actors back to life with CGI?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

gurragadon posted:

To be fair I can't really tell the difference between AI and non-AI Disney Star Wars stuff anyway. Weren't they already bringing actors back to life with CGI?

Yep. Did it with Peter Cushing as Tarkin in Rogue One (instead of hiring the entirely capable and criminally underutilized Wayne Pygram, who very briefly played the role at the end of Revenge of the Sith), and also a young Carrie Fisher as Leia, though she was still alive at that point.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

You know how sometimes you see a movie with just absolute dogshit writing, but the actors somehow manage to make it work? So long to that I guess.
I think that'd still be around, just instead of some actors being inexplicably good, it'd shift to whoever is doing the AI/animation stuff being inexplicably good. A movie where nobody gives a poo poo is going to be bad either way

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

gurragadon posted:

Alot of it has to do with the quality of the fake primary documents that are being generated by AI. It's one thing to refute a bad headline but another when everyone is actually listening to the audio or seeing a video that is fake but looks convincingly real. Then the argument becomes about whether the event even happened, not whether the headline is lying about an event.

I'm interested in a debate about what a candidate supports with AI generated content pretending to be the candidates' actual words saying completely contrary things. I guess it just makes it easier to confirm our own biases if you can find audio and video of a person saying whatever you want.

Edit: The Trump one is kind of interesting because its apparently a tweet he put out and they just used AI to dictate it in Trumps voice. I don't really know if I would qualify that as misinformation since Trump said it, just in a different format.

Get ready for a lot more of that poo poo moving forward as deepfake poo poo gets more prominent. It's gonna loving suck. Half of us already are incapable of discerning actual facts from fiction and it's gonna reach critical mass when pretty much everyone who gets caught doing anything wrong or illegal is gonna claim "deepfake news".

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Rebel Blob posted:

Relating to the conversation about converting offices to housing, here is an office in San Rafael that has done just that. Not inside a major city, but an interesting example. Listed for $520,000 for a 1,066 ft² 1 bedroom/1 bath condo (with $655 a month in HOA fees).

To me, the most bizarre thing about this is that they left the drat drop ceiling in place.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Can't wait to remove some ceiling tiles and crawl into my neighbor's apartment, half a million well spent!

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Roadie posted:

To me, the most bizarre thing about this is that they left the drat drop ceiling in place.

Load-bearing drop ceiling

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

BiggerBoat posted:

Get ready for a lot more of that poo poo moving forward as deepfake poo poo gets more prominent. It's gonna loving suck. Half of us already are incapable of discerning actual facts from fiction and it's gonna reach critical mass when pretty much everyone who gets caught doing anything wrong or illegal is gonna claim "deepfake news".

It's a concern to be sure but I think in most cases there's going to be people who can testify to authenticity. We can already fake documents and electronic records but that doesn't stop either from being used as evidence in the judicial system or the court of public opinion. Even records released by hackers on the payroll of foreign governments are treated as trustworthy because believable forgeries are more complicated than just putting words on paper.

In that way you can fake a video, or a document, and upload it to the internet and it'll get circulated in insular reactionary groups but it'll stay there until law enforcement or major news organisations vet it.

It's not really a technology issue. It's psychology or humanity or whatever you want to call it. There's people who will believe whatever fits into the narratives they bought into. You can go on the internet and write that JFK will come back to overthrow the government and some people thinks that totally checks out because someone wrote it.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Mercury_Storm posted:

Can't wait to remove some ceiling tiles and crawl into my neighbor's apartment, half a million well spent!

Nah, look at the edges of the ceiling. The tiles are cut to match the walls, so the walls go all the way up.

...which means they took down the drop ceiling to put the partition walls and probably wiring changes and such in, and then put the drop ceiling back up.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Roadie posted:

Nah, look at the edges of the ceiling. The tiles are cut to match the walls, so the walls go all the way up.

...which means they took down the drop ceiling to put the partition walls and probably wiring changes and such in, and then put the drop ceiling back up.

It looks exactly like it did before they converted it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Roadie posted:

There are some "before" pictures of the office in the listing, they didn't change the walls, ceiling, or carpet. They just tossed all of the office furniture, installed kitchen and bathroom, and painted.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

I think we're going to more immediately see a crash of the AI bubble shortly.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/07/17/ai-will-be-the-biggest-bubble-of-all-time-stability-ai-ceo.html

When that hot air artist Emad is nattering about that, especially with the rats bailing...

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Too bad CNBC is always wrong.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Owling Howl posted:

It's not really a technology issue. It's psychology or humanity or whatever you want to call it. There's people who will believe whatever fits into the narratives they bought into. You can go on the internet and write that JFK will come back to overthrow the government and some people thinks that totally checks out because someone wrote it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MEsfPuQdw4
This is a truly wild example of what's on the horizon (tl;dr for a 1 minute video: a clickhole gag has been the "source" for a fact that has been re-uploaded so many times that it's now more common than the truth.)

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Shrecknet posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MEsfPuQdw4
This is a truly wild example of what's on the horizon (tl;dr for a 1 minute video: a clickhole gag has been the "source" for a fact that has been re-uploaded so many times that it's now more common than the truth.)

This isn't a new phenomenon. see the 'facts' people repeat like how much of our brain we use, right brain vs left brain, astrology, etc.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

How many spiders the average person eats a year in their sleep is another good one

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I once posted a joke "fact" that "did you know that hummingbirds aren't actually birds? They are actually nature's largest bee." And I got a few people :negative:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Never don't underestimate the average person's intelligence

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Professor Beetus posted:

I once posted a joke "fact" that "did you know that hummingbirds aren't actually birds? They are actually nature's largest bee." And I got a few people :negative:

https://youtu.be/fzMEg9ynmiU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Bats aren't bugs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

sharks are smooth