Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

eke out posted:

looked it up

when the target is (1) not called to testify, and (2) hasn't asked to testify, you are still (3) "encouraged" to tell them they have a right to come in and testify if they want to (and you have to give them a bunch of warnings about the many reasons this may be a bad idea, detailed further elsewhere)

Right, which also explicitly says that it is not routine. Hence the comments that this is not a routine thing. It essentially never happens at the state level and is not common at federal level outside of major situations like this one.

eke out posted:

it's a routine "hey we're about to indict you but technically you are welcome to come in and tell us why we should not" invitation that basically no one accepts

quote:

9-11.153 - NOTIFICATION OF TARGETS
When a target is not called to testify pursuant to JM 9-11.150, and does not request to testify on his or her own motion (see JM 9-11.152), the prosecutor, in appropriate cases, is encouraged to notify such person a reasonable time before seeking an indictment in order to afford him or her an opportunity to testify before the grand jury, subject to the conditions set forth in JM 9-11.152. Notification would not be appropriate in routine clear cases or when such action might jeopardize the investigation or prosecution because of the likelihood of flight, destruction or fabrication of evidence, endangerment of other witnesses, undue delay or otherwise would be inconsistent with the ends of justice.

quote:

Target letters from federal law enforcement are not common, but they are issued by federal prosecutors under certain circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Right, which also explicitly says that it is not routine.

Hence the comments that this is not a routine thing. It essentially never happens at the state level and is not common at federal level outside of major situations like this one.

okay you can quibble over wording, it's routine enough that it's literally written into the DOJ manual -- which also acknowledges that you don't have to do this in the boring, normal cases that comprise 99% of federal criminal charges. it's not a weird or surprising thing in this set of circumstances, it's an extremely normal "give the defendant every possible opportunity to assert their innocence" procedural step

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Color me newly informed, I thought if a grand jury called you you had to show up. Didn't know that in general that wasn't even a thing.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
If you’re a witness then you’re required.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

cr0y posted:

Color me newly informed, I thought if a grand jury called you you had to show up. Didn't know that in general that wasn't even a thing.

The whole reason behind the "a prosecutor could get a grand jury to indict a ham sandwich" phrase is because it is intentionally one-sided.

The prosecutor gives all of their evidence to the grand jury, there is no defense, and the defendant often doesn't even know that a grand jury has been empaneled and proceedings are going on. Witnesses are only interviewed one at a time and they can't even have their counsel with them directly during the questioning (they can ask to leave to consult with them, though).

The grand jury is basically there to weed out cases with no evidence or obvious crazy prosecutions. It isn't designed to be fair. The actual court proceedings are where it has to be explicitly fair.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
It is a thing that is allowed but is not actually routine, but also its not q bad idea to give Trump a chance to talk because he's a total moron and is pretty likely to say some stupid poo poo that will further incriminate him

Piell fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 18, 2023

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I'm not sure Trump needs further self-incrimination beyond what he does as a normal course of his business. But his lawyers are really freakin good at stalling, and "inviting" him to appear before then GJ would I'd think give him yet another opportunity to delay things further as he fights and appeals it up the chain.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Tayter Swift posted:

I'm not sure Trump needs further self-incrimination beyond what he does as a normal course of his business. But his lawyers are really freakin good at stalling, and "inviting" him to appear before then GJ would I'd think give him yet another opportunity to delay things further as he fights and appeals it up the chain.

Smith seems to really know what he’s doing and I trust that whatever they sent Trump, which we should definitely stop assuming was accurately represented by Trump in his post, wasn’t a mistake. I’m holding off on forming any other sort of opinion until we at least get confirmation from someone else as to what he actually received.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

OgNar posted:

Oh no, how did this happen?

https://twitter.com/abbydphillip/status/1681247117602332673

"Among the antiquities are ancient ceramic oil lamps which are part of Israel's national treasures collection. They were sent to the U.S. in 2019 with the approval of then-Director of the Israeli Antiquities Authority, Israel Hasson, on the condition that they be returned within weeks, yet almost four years later, they have yet to be returned."

"According to sources in Israel and abroad, Fox was invited in 2019 to a Hanukkah candle-lighting event at the White House. Ancient oil lamps were sent from Israel for the event, intended to be displayed briefly in Washington, and then returned to Israel.
The oil lamps were eventually not displayed in the White House, due to a bureaucratic difficulty raised by the Americans. But according to Israeli sources who dealt with the matter, instead of being returned to Israel, they got “stuck” in the United States."

"Several months ago, Israeli authorities learned that the antiquities eventually ended up at former U.S. President Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida, where they still remain.
Current Director of the Antiquities Authority Eli Eskozido has contacted the Israeli Foreign Affairs Ministry, Strategic Affairs Minister Ron Dermer, and former U.S. Ambassador to Israel, David Friedman, asking them to aid in returning the items, thus far without success. It is unclear whether Trump himself is aware that the items are on the premises of his estate."

Oh my sister is going to love this.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tayter Swift posted:

it's not, he's not coming, there's no delay nor anything to 'appeal'

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

some kinda jackal posted:

Stuff missing at Mar-a-lago? Just ask to go to the bathroom and sneak them out in your jacket.

Because recovery of antiquities is run through the state department.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
O this is loving glorious.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

haha, they really did just take everything that wasn't nailed down. spoils of office baby

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
hobby lobby should pay isis to go get them

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
As all these cases procede, a great deal of new info will be entered into public record. I'm certain further charges will follow as a better picture emerges.

Also, Trump is absolutely a flight risk.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Uglycat posted:

As all these cases procede, a great deal of new info will be entered into public record. I'm certain further charges will follow as a better picture emerges.

Also, Trump is absolutely a flight risk.

He's running for President and is a former President.

Even if he was certain he would face consequences if he stayed, then his only real option is to flee to Russia, North Korea, Cuba, China, Cambodia, Cyprus, Iran, Belarus, or Ukraine and hope that someone there is willing to furnish his lifestyle to make up for losing all of his U.S. assets or somehow find a way to live incognito without ever being recognized and turn all of his assets cash. Neither one seems especially likely.

He is a bad person, but not an especially likely flight risk.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Even if he was certain he would face consequences if he stayed, then his only real option is to flee to Russia, North Korea, Cuba, China, Cambodia, Cyprus, Iran, Belarus, or Ukraine and hope that someone there is willing to furnish his lifestyle to make up for losing all of his U.S. assets or somehow find a way to live incognito without ever being recognized and turn all of his assets cash. Neither one seems especially likely.

I agree he isn't going anywhere but I am curious as to how Cambodia, Cyprus, and Ukraine made your list of possible asylums for him

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Judgy Fucker posted:

I agree he isn't going anywhere but I am curious as to how Cambodia, Cyprus, and Ukraine made your list of possible asylums for him

Those are the countries without extradition treaties with the U.S.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

That would be it then, lol

Follow-up: just because there's no extradition treaty between a country and the U.S. doesn't mean that the given country can't deport a fugitive back, right? Nothing stopping Cyprus from stuffing them on a plane with a one-way ticket?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Judgy Fucker posted:

If he goes to Donetsk he'll be doubly safe since no-one will be able to fully assert jurisdiction

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Judgy Fucker posted:

That would be it then, lol

Follow-up: just because there's no extradition treaty between a country and the U.S. doesn't mean that the given country can't deport a fugitive back, right? Nothing stopping Cyprus from stuffing them on a plane with a one-way ticket?

No, they still can if they want to. They just aren't forced to.

I wasn't saying those were likely places, just that those were the only potential places. The fact that those places are the only potential locations he could flee to is also evidence that he isn't likely going to flee pre-trial.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I mean I think the value of having a US President in exile (a completely unprecedented thing) and giving him the lap of luxury for a couple years while he poo poo talks the US and praises Putin or whatever would be worth more than any money or assets he could provide. There are absolutely places who would welcome him with open arms. He also has the means to do it immediately if he even has a whiff of consequences and is a huge loving coward. If it were possible for him to plea down he would be doing that but no way is that an option for him, the guy at the top. He is absolutely a flight risk no matter what decorum and established precedent might say.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

haha, they really did just take everything that wasn't nailed down. spoils of office baby

But but the Clintons took some silverware...

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Professor Beetus posted:

I mean I think the value of having a US President in exile (a completely unprecedented thing) and giving him the lap of luxury for a couple years while he poo poo talks the US and praises Putin or whatever would be worth more than any money or assets he could provide. There are absolutely places who would welcome him with open arms. He also has the means to do it immediately if he even has a whiff of consequences and is a huge loving coward. If it were possible for him to plea down he would be doing that but no way is that an option for him, the guy at the top. He is absolutely a flight risk no matter what decorum and established precedent might say.

I dunno. Outside of maybe North Korea, maybe Russia or Iran, the potential diplomatic headaches involved in harboring a fugitive ex-President would be pretty bad and not at all worth the propaganda potential. Hell, even Kim would probably be more than happy to ship Trump back in exchange for some economic concessions.

Also, is there really any way for someone like Trump at this point to figuratively slip out the back door? Does his secret service detail answer only to him or do they have other handlers back in Washington? I have a hard time imagining they'd let him slip away, let alone aid him in fleeing. I'm also extremely dumb and may be showing some naivete

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Judgy Fucker posted:

I dunno. Outside of maybe North Korea, maybe Russia or Iran, the potential diplomatic headaches involved in harboring a fugitive ex-President would be pretty bad and not at all worth the propaganda potential. Hell, even Kim would probably be more than happy to ship Trump back in exchange for some economic concessions.

Also, is there really any way for someone like Trump at this point to figuratively slip out the back door? Does his secret service detail answer only to him or do they have other handlers back in Washington? I have a hard time imagining they'd let him slip away, let alone aid him in fleeing. I'm also extremely dumb and may be showing some naivete

Hear me out though, if he did try to run the inevitable Adam McKay movie would be a masterpiece. I dunno you're probably right, I didn't actually think about the secret service in my assessment and that is probably not something Trump is capable of working around unless they are T loyalists who have no problem with doing a treason. As far as the other countries though, I am much more certain that at least Russia and North Korea would welcome him, but like you said he would probably very handily given back for some sort of diplomatic concessions.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I've seen hospitalized defendants judged to be a " flight risk " because they had family out of state.

Trump has multiple properties abroad and owns his own plane. He's absolutely a flight risk in any traditional sense of the word. He doesn't have to fly directly to Russia nonstop.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Professor Beetus posted:

He's worth way, way, way more to Putin as a presidential candidate than he is as an occasional RT guest. He would also personally much prefer to be a wealthy American and US President giving regular speeches to cheering crowds in person, rather than abandoning most of his assets and living in exile entirely reliant on Putin's protection and patronage.

Sure, he can afford a one-way ticket to Russia any time he wants. But if he gets on that plane, he's leaving a lot of stuff behind, including many things that are very important to him. I don't see him even considering that option as long as he has a remotely credible chance at the presidency.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Trump could just pull a Whitey Bulger and vanish in the US, but he wouldn't be able to survive without the constant publicity.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/ZcohenCNN/status/1681398816421863424

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1681398445347618830

Piell fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 18, 2023

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Trump could just pull a Whitey Bulger and vanish in the US, but he wouldn't be able to survive without the constant publicity.

Additionally he's 1) much more recognizable than Whitey ever was, to far more people, and 2) physically incapable of keeping his mouth shut for more than thirty consecutive sentences.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Somehow I think his secret conspiracy to flee the US would be found out ahead of time somehow. Perhaps when one of the dozens of people who would need to be involved in making it happen rats him out, or maybe when he says so at a campaign speech, or in a TS post where he says when, how and hell probably the flight path.

I'd love to see him try. Seriously.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
He'd almost definitely post about it before he did it. Maybe to even brainstorm potential countries.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Which states had fake electors? I know of GA, AZ, and MI. Anywhere else?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
In the most comically hellish timeline he somehow escapes to North Korea, wins the primary anyway, wins the goddamn election, only to be arrested on the morning of January 20 when he flies back to take the oath of office.

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat

gregday posted:

NV, and theyre going for some immunity deal

https://thenevadaindependent.com/article/nv-gop-leaders-offered-limited-immunity-in-fake-electors-probe-testified-about-laxalt

neurobasalmedium
Sep 12, 2012

gregday posted:

Groups from Arizona, Georgia, Michigan, New Mexico, Nevada, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin all allegedly met in December 2020 and sent lists of so-called alternate electors to the National Archives after the 2020 election. The scheme is reportedly under investigation by the FBI and the Department of Justice, which have issued subpoenas to several of the people involved. -AZ Mirror

https://www.azmirror.com/2022/06/29/updated-trumps-fake-electors-heres-the-full-list/

neurobasalmedium fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 18, 2023

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

I would bet these indictments serve as motivation for any other fake electors to scramble for any immunity deal they can get.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Tayter Swift posted:

In the most comically hellish timeline he somehow escapes to North Korea, wins the primary anyway, wins the goddamn election, only to be arrested on the morning of January 20 when he flies back to take the oath of office.

He would definitely fly to his golf course in Scotland. They love me there, William Wallace (“BRAVEHEART”?), kilted men with tears in their eyes, etc.

I sincerely don’t believe he’s gonna successfully manage picking a non-extradition country, at least not on the first try. It might not necessarily be Scotland, but it’d probably be one of his golf courses and that seems most likely to me.

On the off chance I’m correct about that stab in the dark, I’m gonna add a second, contingent one : at some point while in the UK he will compare his situation the American Revolution.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

No, they still can if they want to. They just aren't forced to.

I wasn't saying those were likely places, just that those were the only potential places. The fact that those places are the only potential locations he could flee to is also evidence that he isn't likely going to flee pre-trial.

Saudi Arabia loves harboring dethroned would-be dictators, and he's got a golf course there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I've seen hospitalized defendants judged to be a " flight risk " because they had family out of state.

Trump has multiple properties abroad and owns his own plane. He's absolutely a flight risk in any traditional sense of the word. He doesn't have to fly directly to Russia nonstop.

He has a 24/7 personal detail of federal agents who accompany him wherever he goes and coordinate his movement with local law enforcement. Trump would have a harder time fleeing the jurisdiction than people who have to break out of jail up do it.

Unless we think his detail has turned preatorian guard and would help him. I find that both extremely unlikely, as well as it being unlikely he's not also under FBI surveillance given the nature of the crimes.