Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stirdog
Oct 11, 2012

Potty training was some of the most exhausting soup crushing parenting we've had to do with our little guy by far. We attempted at 3 years old with a message track leading up to his birthday which resulted in a epic failure. He would sit on the potty and tell us he had to go but just would not release anything. We gave up when we determined that he either had no idea how to release or was being stubborn (leaning towards the second).

We waited another 6 months and tried again expecting it to be just as awful and it went so much better.

My take away is that there doesn't need to be a rush to get it done and that sometimes the little guys/ gals need some time to process and come around to it. We didn't have any negative side effects of the aborted attempt. Now if he would just stop trying to manipulate me with fake demands to use the bathroom to stall bath/ bedtime/ etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
My first son (now 3.5) was globally delayed and didn’t walk until age 2. No idea why, he was ruled out for autism or any other major diagnosis.

Second son (now almost 8 months) is, I’m pretty sure, going to be walking before 1. He is crawling like a maniac, careening into table legs, and yesterday morning crawled from between his sleeping parents down to the foot of the bed and promptly fell the gently caress off. In all the anti-co-sleeping education I ever received I was never warned about that particular risk.

He’s also already pulling himself to standing and we had to lower the crib since it’s clearly no longer safe for him to be in our bed.

Also also he threw up today and although his behavior has been otherwise normal I’m kind of low key freaking out that he sustained a head injury in the fall yesterday. Called the nurse helpline and they told me it doesn’t sound like we need to get him checked out but man.

Parenting is so scary and I only have the rest of my life to worry about them, yay!

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Phonics, emotion control, and potty are just learned behaviors. Return to monkey.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7ymXLpXg8I

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

A Bad King posted:

Phonics, emotion control, and potty are just learned behaviors. Return to monkey.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7ymXLpXg8I

Same

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1s3Iekns9k

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

pro click pro subscribe.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
If anyone is struggling with stopping thumb sucking. The Tguard aerothumb guard has been amazing. Our daughter been on it almost 2 weeks at night and has pretty much stopped. It's a bit pricey but so far the only thing that has worked.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
My wife is running an in-home childcare, now, finally, my son will be accepted into a daycare. Thank goodness for nepotism.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
First child drop in went so well. Charmed the pants off ol couple. Did a potty session with the paying toddler with customer mom present, which was the best way to break that ice and demonstrate our potty infrastructure. I am very jealous about how much more advanced the paying toddler is in potty training compared my legacy toddler. Maybe that potty rivalry will be good for my boy.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

My 2 year old gets very aggressive toward us when she is angry. Obviously we need to figure out how to work on it but is that fairly normal or should I be really worried? I'm just scared I'm missing something but I'm not sure if I'm being overly anxious

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 18, 2023

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Why must I imagine hearing my son crying long after he’s stopped?

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Dazerbeams posted:

Why must I imagine hearing my son crying long after he’s stopped?

Stress creates phantom sounds

E: crates to creates

A Bad King fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 18, 2023

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I hear crying in white noise too. Makes having showers during a nap or cooking with the rangehood going a real gauntlet

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

For me it's creaking floorboards. I walk into my kitchen and I'm always like "poo poo was that him crying?"

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

dismas posted:

My kid refuses to brush her gd teeth and it’s driving me insane. It adds 20 minutes to getting out of the house in the morning. Why.

For the really hard days maybe do a backup with a fluoridated mouthwash. It works about as well as brushing for teeth care.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Brushing teeth is extremely triggering for me too. Like come the gently caress on child you’ve been whining at the sink for 20 minutes and it’s a 2 minute task according to your blippi toothbrush video. You lost 18 minutes of playtime for nothing. Nothing!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

citybeatnik posted:

I could stand Bluey a lot more if our 6yo would use the games played on there as a springboard of creativity and not as iron bound rituals where you are expected to perform and say things exactly as the parents do like it's a loving kabuki play or religious ritual.

My kiddo recently has started paying a lot more attention to Bluey lately inventing "games" and mimicing how the kids interact with eachother

Tonight we played a "game" that involved me standing on a specific lawn paver, she would stand on a spot by the fence 20+ ft away, and then i'd shout "ready!" (yes!) "set, GO!" and then she'd run from the fence, past the paver. we did this like 10 times right before bed, good way to burn up the last bit of energy i guess. beats sitting inside watching TV

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

hallo spacedog posted:

My 2 year old gets very aggressive toward us when she is angry. Obviously we need to figure out how to work on it but is that fairly normal or should I be really worried? I'm just scared I'm missing something but I'm not sure if I'm being overly anxious

what does "aggressive" mean? like hitting? kicking biting? shut that poo poo down asap

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Hadlock posted:

what does "aggressive" mean? like hitting? kicking biting? shut that poo poo down asap

All of that. We are trying to "shut it down," she seems pretty immune to any attempt to do so

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

lobster shirt posted:

hitting is like an instant time out in my house. i understand wanting to be gentle with discipline (and timeout is just about the harshest punishment we do) but sometimes there does need to be a consequence for bad behavior. our pediatrician said timeout should be, at most, as many minutes as the kid is years old.

certainly i think if you feel yourself on the verge of shouting then a timeout would make sense, if only just for you to take a few deep breaths. that sounds really hard though, its infuriating when they laugh at their own bad behavior.

i thought this was good advice, i've been trying to follow it been having good results but mine pretty rarely hits. 2-3 minute timeout is a pretty effective tool. we use the same phrases/follow the same "ritual" as daycare so it's consistent

the next day she was putting "mickey" in "time out" in the same chair :3: have had few issues, time out at home from daddy seems to stick in her mind

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Hitting and biting is an instant 2 minute time out in our house. It even seems to be working! Yesterday he was angry and lifted a hand as if to slap and I said “do you want to go in time out?” and the answer appeared to be no, since he lowered his hand. I try to offer an alternate action, like hugging instead.
In other news, potty training continues to be the absolute worst and my son actually asked for a diaper and shorts today. I had never heard him request any of those items before and I felt like a monster for making him go diaperless.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

El Mero Mero posted:

For the really hard days maybe do a backup with a fluoridated mouthwash. It works about as well as brushing for teeth care.

This is actually true. They published a study endorsed by the ADA saying something like you could replace brushing with mouthwash 3 out of 7 days or something, but then retracted it because they didn't want people to never brush (and also probably because of the toothbrush lobby :tinfoil:)

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

The Age of Dad has ended, Mom is favorite parent now.

Went in to sleep on the floor next to kiddo when he woke up at 12:30AM (my routine most nights for the past few weeks). He was furious. “Get our dada, I want MAMA!”

I didn’t have the energy to deal with a nuclear level meltdown at the wee hours, so I capitulated and retrieved my wife. He instantly calmed down.

It figures this switch would happen after we finally went to couples therapy because my wife was so upset about being second best.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

We just had a "I will refuse to eat anything but rice cakes" phase of the vacation. For 24 hours. Getting more and more miserable and those rice cakes aren't helping the despair

Also still screaming whenever one of my family members gets too close. They've been waiting two years to see him in person and he's screaming like they are trying to kidnap him. I guess the pre-visit video chats didn't help familiarize him.

When I have time I can talk about the bed box thing I bought (long story short, fine as a kid specific carry on,no way good for a bed on a plane)

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Just wanted to pop in and say we tried potty training a few times but my kid was nearly 4 by the time it finally clicked. Don't beat yourselves up if it isn't happening, it wasn't worth the stress for us to keep pushing when she was younger and she still did potty train in time.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

marchantia posted:

Just wanted to pop in and say we tried potty training a few times but my kid was nearly 4 by the time it finally clicked. Don't beat yourselves up if it isn't happening, it wasn't worth the stress for us to keep pushing when she was younger and she still did potty train in time.

I totally agree with this sentiment, but if our experience is any indication it's not always an option. In our case our daycare refused to let our son into the 3-year-old classroom until he was completely potty trained. We explained that since our son was developmentally delayed we wanted him to be with kids his own age so he could learn from their behaviors, but the response was "no, gently caress you, our 3-year old classroom teachers don't change diapers and we won't make any exceptions, and all the other daycares nearby do the same thing." So we kind of had to force our son to learn to use the potty before he was ready, or he'd be stuck in the 2-year-old classroom forever. And after calling around to other daycares in the county, it does seem to be A Thing around here. It seems really counterproductive to child development in general for daycares to do that but welp.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Age of Dad can be a lot of hard work. Enjoyable work, but the amount of pony rides is getting to irritate the old man back disks.

Engage the core. Lift with the legs. Don't drink that coke. Try not to add too much salt to your meal. Smoke the pork, but don't eat too much of it yourself (it's bad for cholesterol). Be the stable and happy jungle gym you always wanted when you were that age. Ghost pepper hot sauce gives you indigestion now, old man, you can't sit on that toilet forever. Going for a run? Haha no you're not, he wakes up at 6.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Kids are so freaking resourceful

But only when they want to be

My daughter yelled for me to reach some snack mix on the shelf, and I'm like use the stool. She says she still can't reach, so I come in and she's on the stool, unable to reach the snack mix.

Thing is, she *made* that snack mix a few minutes ago. So she put that bag on the shelf. I ask her how she did that, and she said she used the chair.

Why not... do that... again!? You solved a problem and decided to reproblem it!

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Genpei Turtle posted:

I totally agree with this sentiment, but if our experience is any indication it's not always an option. In our case our daycare refused to let our son into the 3-year-old classroom until he was completely potty trained. We explained that since our son was developmentally delayed we wanted him to be with kids his own age so he could learn from their behaviors, but the response was "no, gently caress you, our 3-year old classroom teachers don't change diapers and we won't make any exceptions, and all the other daycares nearby do the same thing." So we kind of had to force our son to learn to use the potty before he was ready, or he'd be stuck in the 2-year-old classroom forever. And after calling around to other daycares in the county, it does seem to be A Thing around here. It seems really counterproductive to child development in general for daycares to do that but welp.

They do this here in the 4 year old classes. No potty training, no entry.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

We sorta tried potty training our 2.75 year old this weekend (stopped because he came down with maybe-strep-throat on Sunday) and it didn’t go great. He was excited about wearing pull-ups and sitting on the potty (well mainly watching potty songs on YouTube) but couldn’t actually get any pee out. And as soon as the pull-up was back on, he peed. He didn’t seem upset about it, just “yep, I peed”.

Not sure if he was feeling some anxiety about peeing in the potty, or if his awareness/control is just not developed enough yet. (He’s never told us “I have to go” or done the potty dance, he just pauses for a moment and lets it go.) Luckily his daycare seems pretty chill about it. They sit the toddlers on the toilet during most diaper changes, and again he’s excited to be a “big kid” but rarely pees in the toilet there either.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
When it comes to tantrums I've been trying to use "let's take a break" as a cue that we need a minute to calm down before we can keep arguing about whatever she's tantrumming about (like washing her hands or picking clothes for the day, etc). She gets really mad when I say this but lately she's starting to calm down a little faster when I say it. I offer her a hug or ask if we can do belly breaths together. She'll take a hug sometimes, hasn't agreed to do belly breaths together, but one time she did start doing them by herself, so progress!

We don't do "time outs" per se but if she's really losing it and we're in a busy room I will take her to a quieter room to help with calming down, and I stay with her. If she wants me to leave the room I try to stay close by (either in the doorway or just around the corner of the door if she REALLY doesn't want to see me) and tell her as much so she doesn't feel like I'm abandoning her or that I think she's being "too much." My goal is to help her learn some self soothing skills. It's not easy but it seems like it's slowly starting to work. She's not even three yet so patience is definitely a big requirement.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
OH BOY, taking my already terrified of doctors 5yo to the ENT next week because he's snoring like a bear and having goddamn apnea episodes at night. Took a peek and his tonsils are loving huge, practically touching. It's been a couple of weeks and no change, so oh boy tonsillectomy here we come, probably.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

marchantia posted:

One of the interesting studies highlighted in the crib sheets book was showing how the time it took to potty train generally reduced as kids got older. So yeah my takeaway has been well just try when we feel like he’s ready and be prepared to delay for a bit if it’s just not happening.

IIRC Emily Oster is a bit controversial, so like just take that with a grain of salt.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Eeyo posted:

One of the interesting studies highlighted in the crib sheets book was showing how the time it took to potty train generally reduced as kids got older. So yeah my takeaway has been well just try when we feel like he’s ready and be prepared to delay for a bit if it’s just not happening.

IIRC Emily Oster is a bit controversial, so like just take that with a grain of salt.

I like Oster and haven't heard of any controversy around her -- what's the basis of the controversy?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

If I remember correctly, she was really gross about all things pandemic

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
She has a very big case of "I do data analysis for my day job, so that means I can analyze any data regardless of my subject knowledge"

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Giant Metal Robot posted:

She has a very big case of "I do data analysis for my day job, so that means I can analyze any data regardless of my subject knowledge"

Yes.

She's an economist, she should generally not be making public health recommendations (in the case of her "schools aren't going to be spreaders of the virus!!" Articles among other things)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Emily Oster is highly polarizing, a quick search reveals hundreds of posts referencing her on the forums, few if any portray her in a positive light.

Why Am I So Tired posted:

I don't think this was posted yet, here's another long piece making GBS threads on Emily Oster.

https://twitter.com/MamaToronto/status/1541578043252252672

Also apparently she had to retract a lot of the research for her PhD. I would not put a lot of stock in anything she says.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Giant Metal Robot posted:

Ah, Nate Silver disease

Savings Clown
May 7, 2007

We all float down here
Potty training the 2.75 year old boy at the moment, going as well as one could hope and when I myself - also boy, older - pee I sit down to do it so he can stare intently, and when he sees a stream applaud loudly and shout yaaaaaaaay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Savings Clown posted:

Potty training the 2.75 year old boy at the moment, going as well as one could hope and when I myself - also boy, older - pee I sit down to do it so he can stare intently, and when he sees a stream applaud loudly and shout yaaaaaaaay.

Vouch, that's how potty is supposed to go.