Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

It's not funny because some other random thing will get us, it's funny because our half-witted attempts to keep the party going through CO2-driven global warming will actively make the next CO2-driven crisis (ocean acidification) much worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Car Hater posted:

AAAAAHHHHHHH!

AAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

https://twitter.com/EliotJacobson/status/1681321023306874880?s=20

Car Hater posted:

AAAAAHHHHHHH!

AAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

The funniest part about aerosol injection and white paint is that even if it does work with zero side effects all that does is let the party continue a couple extra years until CO2 ocean acidification wipes out all marine life

that's the water we live on the land IDIOT

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
I love that bubbly crisp of a sparkling water, so what's the issue with our ocean getting a bit of that? I bet the fish like it.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

hot tubs are good and my friend and I foresee only benefits from the hottubification of the oceans

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

line go up

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

4d3d3d posted:

Even if we could fix one or two problems, there's a dozen more that are just as fatal waiting to take us out. To even have a chance to survive the coming decades intact, it would take a concerted worldwide effort the likes of which we've never seen or imagined, and lol if you think that's ever happening

we can't even stop filling the entire sky with smoke 1 night a year from pointless fireworks while we're choking on smoke from an entire country's forests being on fire

not even the slightest possible personal inconvenience is acceptable

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

quiggy posted:

line go up

it's a law of nature. at least until humans are gone

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The best part of these posts are always the replies

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
The reasons why it's insanely bad probably exceed the Twitter character limit. They barely scratch the surface there.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
all numbers go up, I don’t make the rules

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
https://twitter.com/ECOWARRIORSS/status/1681337996744720384

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

What's wrong liberals I thought you were in favor of the green economy

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

The Oldest Man posted:

The best part of these posts are always the replies

Incredible

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
So I'll just not dip my liver in the sea, easy.

*accidentally does that anyway*

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Much of our farmed land would be used to grow fuel and other industrial feedstocks, not food.

we already use 45% of our corn crop land for fuel in the USA lol, just because Iowa is important in the presidential primaries.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

*eats a fish*

*dies*

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

"This is a level beyond Yikes...you can call it Get Yikes Two"

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

don't lol because it's over,

lmao because it happened

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
I can't believe it's not yikes!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Can't tell if chatgpt or just dumb

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

[Biosphere COLLAPSE] Wow! Wow! Wow!

Danru
May 23, 2022

*slaps roof of the earth*

this bad boy can fit so many heat domes in it

https://twitter.com/weatherprof/status/1681087826425782278?s=46&t=J2BqIfsmzti0Wyc0pYNkXg

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Danru posted:

https://twitter.com/weatherprof/status/1681087826425782278?s=46&t=J2BqIfsmzti0Wyc0pYNkXg

this is good for multiple breadbaskets

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Danru posted:

... 152???????

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
A chain of heat domes circling the planet like a beautiful string of pearls

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The Oldest Man posted:

The funniest part about aerosol injection and white paint is that even if it does work with zero side effects all that does is let the party continue a couple extra years until CO2 ocean acidification wipes out all marine life
so? we’ll just pour lots of *googles “opposite of acid”* bleach into the ocean and cancel it out. this isn’t rocket science

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Hubbert posted:

this is good for multiple breadbaskets

so many people are going to die so much sooner than expected

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

The Oldest Man posted:

There is no downside to painting surfaces white. Any building painted white will have lower cooling costs and use less energy. Regular Home Depot paint would do the job too, I don't think you need that magic ultra reflective paint. Get your paint brushes out, whatever. But realistically the surfaces available for us to paint would be something like 0.0001% of the earths surface, so miniscule upside and no downside. I would take it but its not a solution.

A massive geoengineering scheme would lower temperatures. It would change weather and rainfall patterns in ways that can be modeled, but honestly would be unpredictable. Anyone pushing it who is intellectually honest recognizes that it still needs to be accompanied by immediate emission reductions, otherwise whatever benefit we get would be overwhelmed by even more CO2. And you're right that it would do nothing for ocean acidification. Done in conjunction with cutting emissions would still buy time, even for marine life. Its not like the pH would get so low that shells immediately dissolve, but it does mean that marine life needs to devote more energy to building and maintaining their shells. This is happening in conjunction with high temps that are stressing marine life via lower oxygen levels, invasive species and all our other pollution. So yeah, without cutting emissions you are exactly right. Really it would be worse than business as usual because it would take away the urgency to act.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Drink. Consume. Eat. The world is ours, God said so. Destroy your only home, the future is never certain. Heat is good for building character.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

DIM! THAT! SUN!!!

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

if you want a picture of the future imagine mother gaia tubgirling

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Danru posted:

no that's too many domes

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Getting Dome around the world got me like

Car Hater posted:

AAAAAHHHHHHH!

AAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Oglethorpe posted:

if you want a picture of the future imagine mother gaia tubgirling

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Danru posted:

4 domes on the edge of the horizon POV antarctica

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

TehSaurus posted:

so many people are going to die so much sooner than expected

things

aren't

that

bad

yet

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
2023: Getting Dome 24/7

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

try not to rile yourselves up, fellow doomers

it can, and always will, be worse with time