Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

low bar squatting is cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

where does the bar sit, exactly?

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

where does the bar sit, exactly?

low

on shelf created by rear delts

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

post hole digger posted:

think i got a kettlebell routine i can get a little juice of out before i finally bite the bullet and start going back to a real gym so i can proper squat and bench again.

nah screw that. kettlebell cult 4 lyfe

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

skimothy milkerson posted:

on shelf created by rear delts

yeah, I could never figure that out. I just put it at the point it no longer starts to roll down

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

speaking of kettlebells, i’m intimidated by turkish getups. there’s several steps and i feel like i’m either going to hurt myself immediately or get a bad form and hurt myself eventually.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

as a treat my partner and i went for massages at a nice spa

the masseuse was very puzzled out by the very large callous i have on my upper back from squats

its apparently kinda gnarly but i dont know i thought more people did this

marge-thats-a-sewing-finger.gif

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Eeyo posted:

speaking of kettlebells, i’m intimidated by turkish getups. there’s several steps and i feel like i’m either going to hurt myself immediately or get a bad form and hurt myself eventually.

I think there's something to it where you look at the 'bell and actively "press" it away from you instead of just hoping it stays balanced up there. then you just have to figure out how to move your body around under the 'bell. I know this sounds like im just describing the movement but I think there's a subtle difference in being very active pressing the 'bell (despite it not moving)

one trick is to practice with an object balanced on your fist (like a shoe). if you can do that, there shouldn't be any weird moments with weight

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

skimothy milkerson posted:

one trick is to practice with an object balanced on your fist (like a shoe). if you can do that, there shouldn't be any weird moments with weight

This. Start light and progress slowly.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Eeyo posted:

use lower weight. the traditional thing to do (or at least what i remember that pavel guy saying 15 years ago) is to balance a tennis shoe on your fist to start out.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I feel like turkish getups are 90% body positioning and 10% actual strength. The closest thing I can think of are my friends who do aerial silks and have all these specific movements in complex sequences that allow them to easily climb the silks and to wrap themselves up properly to allow their various spins/drops to happen.

Once you get the body positions exactly right, you'll be able to lift way more than you first thought because of how much mechanically advantaged the whole thing is. (Also, once you get the body positions right, you can carry those over into getting up off the ground in general. Then you can start to be one of those people who can go from lying down to standing without your hands touching the ground).

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I hate Turkish getups so much lol it’s just…. Too much

My back is feeling way better I’m not sure what I did but it couldn’t have been too bad if I’ve nearly recovered in just a couple of days, but I’m gonna be really careful/conservative next time I go into gym

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

move fast and break things

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

LanceHunter posted:

I feel like turkish getups are 90% body positioning and 10% actual strength. The closest thing I can think of are my friends who do aerial silks and have all these specific movements in complex sequences that allow them to easily climb the silks and to wrap themselves up properly to allow their various spins/drops to happen.

Once you get the body positions exactly right, you'll be able to lift way more than you first thought because of how much mechanically advantaged the whole thing is. (Also, once you get the body positions right, you can carry those over into getting up off the ground in general. Then you can start to be one of those people who can go from lying down to standing without your hands touching the ground).

I think the positions from the ground up to before you swing your leg around to get into the bottom of an overhead lunge do a lot for your abs and shoulder stability. getups were the best thing I ever did for my press. they were like 80% of my pressing volume and got me to pressing a 40 for 2 reps.

partial getups are probably where its at. safer and they toss out the lunge which isnt doing much for the upper body/core and you can do a lot more of them in a workout

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

post hole digger posted:

calorie counting is such a nightmare to me god bless anyone who can it for longer than a couple of weeks.

if calorie counting or typical weight loss attempts were like a drug or medicine, their efficacy would be so poor no one would ever try it

losing weight is hard. best advice is don't gain weight in the first place.

the HAES movement produces a lot of harm but their statements about dieting being basically ineffective aren't really untrue. its just that is very difficult to say that while also saying being overweight is unhealthy and do your best not to gain weight. it's not helpful at all to tell people who are overweight that their extra weight is unhealthy, they know it, and its negative, and they probably can't lose it, but also, it's not really good to also say, it's fine, and in fact gaining weight is not a problem at all, and in fact if you're hungry just eat and listen to your body.

HAES is a world of contrasts

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Losing weight via calorie counting is extremely effective, as long as you can stick to the counts. The problem is that it is wildly difficult to actually stick to those calorie counts once you are obese because your body's sense of satiation has been completely hosed. It means there's a background level of hunger that makes it extremely difficult to stick to a calorie budget. Basically ever study where the participant's calories are fully controlled shows nearly-total effectiveness. The problem is when the participant's calories are no longer fully controlled, because many of them will inevitably go over their calorie budget (even if they don't self-report having done so - shame can be a real motherfucker for accurate data collection). And since most of us who are or were really obese got that way in childhood, we don't even recognize that the intense levels of background hunger that we feel are not normal.

The way I've phrased it before, from my own experience, is that being very obese and trying to lose a significant amount of weight is a bit like being an opioid addict who is trying to get clean, but who exists in a reality where you need to take a percocet a day to actually stay alive.

The good news is that with the semaglutide treatments that are out there now that un-gently caress the body's sense of satiation and make it possible to stick to a calorie plan. In fact, since they help curb the high levels of background-hunger a person feels, even if someone doesn't actually have a strict calorie budget they are still likely to eat fewer calories. That said, the semaglutide will only make you able to better control your eating. If you take it and eat the same amount, then you won't actually lose any weight. Because, as much as the HAES crowd tries to lie about it, calorie intake and expenditures are the actual mechanism through which your body gains and loses fat mass.

Having just gotten my latest DEXA scan, I have a visual aid to go along with this. I've been doing this at the local university every six months for the last year. The image on the far left is me at 320 pounds. This is about where my weight had been hovering for about 4-5 years at that point. The image in the middle is after six months of heavy exercise and trying (but mostly failing) to keep to a calorie budget. I had lost 7 pounds (and every single pound lost was a fight). The image on the far right is after five months of Wegovy, and suddenly being able to comfortably stick to my calorie budget. I'm down 39 pounds in the six months since the middle image was taken.

I just hope that, as more people are able to get their hands on this medicine and more of us are able to show how it makes sticking to a calorie budget easier and more effective, we'll be able to counter-act the poison that the HAES movement has put into our culture before too many more people are put down the path to obesity. Because yeah, it's definitely better to not become obese in the first place instead of having to rely on a $1600/month medical intervention.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

LanceHunter posted:

a $1600/month medical intervention.

I hate drug companies so much, because we could totally eradicate obesity if this were more available.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

akadajet posted:

I hate drug companies so much, because we could totally eradicate obesity if this were more available.

I imagine it will become more available eventually, because even at that price point the demand is so high that there are shortages. The drug companies are lining up to increase production, and I imagine in 4-5 years it'll be both cheaper and easier to get a hold of one of these types of treatments.

That said, once it really is available to a majority of the people who need it, there's gonna be a hell of a backlash. An actual shift towards fewer Americans over-eating is going to be a genuine financial risk for the fast food and junk food industries, and they are going to pull out all the stops to try and stop that trend. The HAES crowd loves to talk about the "massive diet industry" like it is some boogeyman that is controlling all the information out there about weight loss. They conveniently ignore that the just fast food industry alone is over 400% larger, and they spend more on advertising each year than the total revenue for the entire diet industry.

We can expect a lot of slanderous hit-pieces overplaying the dangers of the treatments, lying about their effectiveness, and doing everything in their power to keep people off the medicine. There's already a bit of this happening on social media, but we can only expect it to ramp up from here.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

Losing weight via calorie counting is extremely effective, as long as you can stick to the counts. The problem is that it is wildly difficult to actually stick to those calorie counts once you are obese because your body's sense of satiation has been completely hosed. It means there's a background level of hunger that makes it extremely difficult to stick to a calorie budget. Basically ever study where the participant's calories are fully controlled shows nearly-total effectiveness. The problem is when the participant's calories are no longer fully controlled, because many of them will inevitably go over their calorie budget (even if they don't self-report having done so - shame can be a real motherfucker for accurate data collection). And since most of us who are or were really obese got that way in childhood, we don't even recognize that the intense levels of background hunger that we feel are not normal.
A few of us have mentioned this previously, but the glp-1 class of drugs have wildly affected this internal response for me.

i used to get headaches and my back would hurt and my focus would go out the window when i would cut back calories, even to maintenance levels. incredibly annoying poo poo, knowing that im fine but my body is aggressively disagreeing with me. there was a long period where when i got the hunger signal i would go exercise and that would kill the drive for a few, but I can't regularly go hit the gym at 230pm anymore to do that

slam some coffee and maybe it goes away, but now you have a different set of problems, like when the coffee crash comes.

anyway, im in a relatively very privileged position to be able to get this stuff regularly but my point is that the hormone caused motivation drive is wild and to actually experience a sudden change, rather than just cerebrally understand it, is eye opening to how beholden we are to homrones.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

KoRMaK posted:

homrones.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Mom offered to bring homemade m&m cookies on her next visit

lol wonder where these calorie mgmt issues came from 🤔

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

my intensentional tract absolutely _despises_ butter now adays. not to get to graphic but you ever see that dog at the beach who been drinking salt water all day and then starts barking?

guts do what they do (get the salty surplus fast tracked out the body)

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

you ever see that dog at the beach who been drinking salt water all day and then starts barking?

excuse me what?

e: :staredog:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
8 miles yesterday, keeping on track :hellyeah:

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Mr. Crow posted:

8 miles yesterday, keeping on track :hellyeah:

:nice:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
squats loving rule

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

DELETE CASCADE posted:

squats loving rule

wrong

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

DELETE CASCADE posted:

squats loving rule

:hmmyes:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LanceHunter posted:

the poison that the HAES movement has put into our culture

I used to know a young nurse who was not herself fat but was supporting the HAES movement in the most genuine way possible, that is, some people who are obese don't get good medical care and have their problems ignored because doctors tell them to just lose weight. this is a legit problem.

but then I think she ended up bailing on being on team HAES when she ended up seeing that it's also a total excuse to just not give a single poo poo about your health or weight

like people genuinely unironically posting about listening to their bodies and eating what they feel like, calling it intuitive eating.. but if you've grown up around fast food, well thats like smoking only when you feel like it and calling it intuitive smoking

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
intuitive posting... bad is all I know

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

had kind of a poo poo weekend and a poo poo start to this week and I have fallen off my workout schedule. hate when this happens because it's so easy to just stop. hoping to pick it back up

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Went to the gym to shoot some basketball with my wife yesterday it was nice

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ADINSX posted:

Went to the gym to shoot some basketball with my wife yesterday it was nice

good

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

the person that i posted about injuring themselves showed up at the gym today at like 70% they also thanked me for helpin

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
running mid day in the heat loving sucks, do not recommend

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

polyester concept posted:

had kind of a poo poo weekend and a poo poo start to this week and I have fallen off my workout schedule. hate when this happens because it's so easy to just stop. hoping to pick it back up

just go do literally anything. squats and pushups for 10min dont matter. youll feel infinity better about missing the other sessions :)

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i really want to overhead press 135 but i'm at about 110 and i know it's gonna take a long time to get there. but ugh it feels so close

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Failed my 3x5 trap bar deadlifts at 360#. Only managed to get through 2 sets, and had to go down on the weight for the 3rd. I'm going to try to find my 1rm for traditional deadlifts this Sunday, and see how far I have to go to hit my goal of 400#.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i really want to overhead press 135 but i'm at about 110 and i know it's gonna take a long time to get there. but ugh it feels so close

The first time you do a overhead press with 45# plates is an excellent feeling.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Mr. Crow posted:

running mid day in the heat loving sucks, do not recommend

same, but running in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

DELETE CASCADE posted:

volume volume volume

it would not be that wild to get upwards of 100 total reps of pressing in a week to smash that goal. obviously with a variety of intensities and pressing variations