Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Earth from Another Sun looked interesting to me, but i cringed out of existence when i looked at the preorder page and realized i could pay more to upgrade my waifu

Are you implying big anime titties isn't the best use of money ever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Maybe when the game comes to steam I’d give it a second look but for now.. nah.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I keep seeing ads for it, but looking into it further now after asking about it in this thread, has made the game go permanently on my poo poo list.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Anything on the blockchain is an instant no.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I like this response. Yes the Fouth Stimpire guy is a "social justice warrior." He is "woke" and posting his weird fan fiction is "virtue signalling"

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

BattleMaster posted:

I like this response. Yes the Fouth Stimpire guy is a "social justice warrior." He is "woke" and posting his weird fan fiction is "virtue signalling"

Or was it because there was even the slightest implication in the torture fanwank that such a situation was undesirable?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/EnfDcST.mp4

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

I thought the stimpire was canon. Is it? Does it even matter? For a game that never releases, everything is canon.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

ashpanash posted:

Or was it because there was even the slightest implication in the torture fanwank that such a situation was undesirable?

It's that. The pain only triples every second? Pathetic.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hizawk posted:

I thought the stimpire was canon. Is it? Does it even matter? For a game that never releases, everything is canon.

Lol no, it's way too imaginative

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Popete posted:

Anything on the blockchain is an instant no.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
A perennial reminder

(Original from, I believe, forums user DapperDon)

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
rip Dapper Don, hope you're up there getting a laugh out of this still.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Sandweed posted:

Having a lot of open positions signals to investors that you are growing.

I work with investors who want to buy in to tech companies, and there is no loving way that investors would ever regard job ads as a mark of success/growth

UNLESS... they were SUPER SUPER loving DUMB

OH WAIT

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah most investors are actually super loving stupid. This is what happens when you have massive amounts of money to throw around.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I think they leave a ton of job openings up because a lot of them are lead/senior positions and CIG probably would love to hire anyone with experience making actual video games. Problem is anyone with that experience is unlikely to want to work for CIG at this point so they are going unfilled.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Popete posted:

I think they leave a ton of job openings up because a lot of them are lead/senior positions and CIG probably would love to hire anyone with experience making actual video games. Problem is anyone with that experience is unlikely to want to work for CIG at this point so they are going unfilled.

It’s this, CIG is also not paying anyone with senior level experience anything close to what they should be paid. So they can’t find anyone with the experience to help lead this project, hence why it is stuck in development hell. The handful of people with years of experience in the game industry (Chris Roberts) are not active on the project at all and have no idea what is actually going on. He doesnt care if Star Citizen is ever actually finished or not, he just expects to see a large deposit into his bank account each month, and once that stops happening he will be active on the game again.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

I said come in! posted:

It’s this, CIG is also not paying anyone with senior level experience anything close to what they should be paid. So they can’t find anyone with the experience to help lead this project, hence why it is stuck in development hell. The handful of people with years of experience in the game industry (Chris Roberts) are not active on the project at all and have no idea what is actually going on. He doesnt care if Star Citizen is ever actually finished or not, he just expects to see a large deposit into his bank account each month, and once that stops happening he will be active on the game again.

I'm guessing that for Chris Roberts, being "active" in game development terms means that he will yell at his employees about how they are the problem at least twice as often as he currently does, and instead of letting submitted work pile up for several weeks before rejecting it and sending it all back to be redone, he will simply send back all work submitted to him immediately to be redone and demand that it be "fixed" and resubmitted within an absurdly short time so he can send it back to be redone again.

Either that, or it means he will get ChatGPT to write a Letter From The Chairman absolving himself for the inadequacies of his employees and technology in general and giving a call to action to backers to dig even deeper into their wallets because Jesus needs a new private jet the BDSSE can only be made with their continued support.

Unless it's both of those options, thanks to the power of special vitamins.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It’s probably both to be honest! The last time Chris Roberts reared his ugly head was actually literally when revenue dropped for Star Citizen, and all Roberts had to say to the community was to stop being critical of him, and Star Citizen.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Hizawk posted:

:hmmyes:

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL
I must admit I have lost track of what the company line is on the main focus of development. Is it SQ42, Arena Commander, Star Citizen or Theatres of War?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

pretty sure they're not even pretending to do anything but sell jpegs and dreams

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rugz posted:

I must admit I have lost track of what the company line is on the main focus of development. Is it SQ42, Arena Commander, Star Citizen or Theatres of War?

It's both SC and SQ42 (ToW has joined sataball in limbo). They need to work on SC because its tech is required for SQ42. But they cannot show anything about SQ42 because spoilers.

Why is the tech for an online multiserver MMO required for an single player space adventure? Well, it's because that's how game development works.

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

trucutru posted:

It's both SC and SQ42 (ToW has joined sataball in limbo). They need to work on SC because its tech is required for SQ42. But they cannot show anything about SQ42 because spoilers.

Why is the tech for an online multiserver MMO required for an single player space adventure? Well, it's because that's how game development works.

In the latest SCL they were talking about Theatres of War and 'getting it out there' in an 'experimental mode'. Fun fact: Their expectation setting was that it's a 20 player game mode for performance reasons :laffo:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Crisp Robots

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

trucutru posted:

It's hilarious how protective they are regarding spoilers. Which of course is just an excuse. I'm sure even the most passionate backers know that the story will be a simplistic B-movie story starring generic scifi tropes.

I doubt it will even have any good humor like the Wing Commander movie bulldozer scene.

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

lobsterminator posted:

It's hilarious how protective they are regarding spoilers. Which of course is just an excuse. I'm sure even the most passionate backers know that the story will be a simplistic B-movie story starring generic scifi tropes.

I doubt it will even have any good humor like the Wing Commander movie bulldozer scene.

It will have a scene-for-scene homage to the Wing Commander bit. Except instead of watching your squadmate crash and burn on the landing strip only to have a soulless machine come along and sweep them away you will watch your squadmate fall and spill their procedurally generated eggs on the mess hall floor only to have a soulless AI come along and sweep them away.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I thought that SC was waiting on tech for SQ42 to finish being designed and backported to SC so work could continue, while SQ42 was held up waiting for tech to finish being designed for SC before it could be backported to SQ42 so work could continue?

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Only Kindness posted:

10 No progress on SQ42
20 It's because everyone's on SC
30 No progress on SC
40 It's because everyone's on SQ42
50 GOTO 10

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

Randalor posted:

I thought that SC was waiting on tech for SQ42 to finish being designed and backported to SC so work could continue, while SQ42 was held up waiting for tech to finish being designed for SC before it could be backported to SQ42 so work could continue?

If Steiner attacks the bridge-operator seat setups get approved, everything will be alright

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Where are we on bedsheet deformation?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Scruffpuff posted:

Where are we on bedsheet deformation?

They are wasting time. Instead of realistic bedsheet physics during sex scenes they could go the more classy route and have a bouncing censored box like in Leisure Suit Larry.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

This is what SQ42 mocap would be compared against today if it was an actual real project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIGnx2jvrbg

:gary: looks just as good.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

There are very good reasons to purchase multiple copies of Squadron 42.

You are creating a unique character in Squadron 42 with their own history, it is not like other single player FPS games where the character you play is fixed and named, endless playthroughs because nothing changes. There will be choices to make during the campaign and those choices have to be unique to your character history, you can't go back and change your character history by trying all the choices - you will be able to replay the combat sections to improve your score, probably in the combat training simulator (It's the one they use for Arena Commander), that simulator performance does not affect your characters history arc. If you want to replay the whole campaign to try different choices you have to start with a brand new character from the very beginning. In the early days Chris talked about selling extra character slots to existing game owners.

Each character you create can/will retire to the PU with all history, possessions and benefits they accrue in Squadron 42. From the perspective of the PU Squadron 42 will be the most massive Squadron that ever existed because there will be hundreds of thousands of Squadron members who all fought in the same place at the same time but each making a unique set of choices during that military service. Chris has done this (in a somewhat more limited fashion) in his other games. Wing Commander Prophecy, you can't change choices once made in the story elements and you can only replay combat sections of the game in the simulator. You can start the WCP game from the beginning with the same character, however, that wasn't his choice. Squadron 42 is not an 'on rails' game.

There will be effects on your ex-military PU character depending on what you did during your military service... the PU AI will know you! Some may be very happy with you because of Squadron 42 and what you did, some may not like you at all because of what you did with that character. That's why Squadron 42 has to be single player even though it takes place in the exact same universe as the PU - as Jared puts it 'Squadron 42 is basically one huge dynamic mission set inside the PU', it's set in recent history.

That's what Chris is referring to when he talks about going back into more exploits with YOUR characters that YOU created. You aren't paying to play a game, you're paying to create totally unique characters in this game universe and live out their lives, and that life includes Squadron 42. Your first experience of that 'alive' populated 'living breathing universe' will be in Squadron 42. The PU will likely remain unreleased until it is capable of taking all of that Squadron 42 universe because they are intimately connected.

Suggesting that CIG should drop Squadron 42 only shows that the person making that remark has no idea what Squadron 42 is and how it relates to your characters' life in the PU. You can create and play a character in the PU who never served in the military, but that character will have a very different experience of the PU than the one who did do military service.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
[Citation needed]

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There are very good reasons to purchase multiple copies of squadron 42.

Note: We are entering month 3 of not being able to purchase any copies of squadron 42

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Ah, that's PeeCat Classic Edition.

You could literally just put Nope! after the end of every sentence of that.

Also note the last paragraph that gives the ruse away - it's not "an explanation of SQ42", it's "an attack on those that have wrongthink" about the cult.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Only Kindness posted:

Ah, that's PeeCat Classic Edition.

You could literally just put Nope! after the end of every sentence of that.

Also note the last paragraph that gives the ruse away - it's not "an explanation of SQ42", it's "an attack on those that have wrongthink" about the cult.

He commits everything ever said by a dev to memory and treats it as gospel, even if it's obvious it's not happening. He probably still thinks they're going to do the passenger plane with the steward gameplay, including the drink mixing minigame.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Rotten Red Rod posted:

He commits everything ever said by a dev to memory and treats it as gospel, even if it's obvious it's not happening. He probably still thinks they're going to do the passenger plane with the steward gameplay, including the drink mixing minigame.

You obviously don’t understand pipeline development

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whiskey patrol
Feb 26, 2003

LOL is squadron 42 even back for sale on the store? Needing to buy new copies of the game to create a more than one character is insane