Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Big Mackson posted:

decided to play an mmorpg again and i saw that this one was free. hope i can win the wars between guilds.

i think i speak for everyone when i say i believe in you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
There are, for better or worse, no actual guild wars in Guild Wars 2.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

people say ffxiv arr starts pretty bad but imo gw2 core is worse. the quality skyrockets when you get to HoT though.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
HoT story is much better than vanilla, but vanilla zones I much prefer. Vanilla zones I always find fun with hearts and puzzles and exploring.

HoT on the other hand felt like an exercise in frustration and "install gw2 taco" or whatever to show you how to hit completion.

But then finally you get to PoF and everything is better than everything before, plus the best mount system in mmos.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

xZAOx posted:

HoT story is much better than vanilla, but vanilla zones I much prefer. Vanilla zones I always find fun with hearts and puzzles and exploring.

HoT on the other hand felt like an exercise in frustration and "install gw2 taco" or whatever to show you how to hit completion.

But then finally you get to PoF and everything is better than everything before, plus the best mount system in mmos.

Yes, Tangled Depths in HoT is one of the most polarizing zones I've seen in a video game. Some folks passionately swear by it and love it, even calling it peak map design, while others despise it.

Personally I avoided it as much as possible after completing it once. The other HoT zones are great, though. That being said, Tangled Depths can be fun if you can catch a Hero Point train in LFG, and a commander will help a squad of 50-ish folks navigate the zone using their Raptor/Glider.

The same could be said for the Chak Gerent meta event, as long as you have a squad/commander with a tag and can stick near the group, it's a fun event and not too stressful to navigate.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I find echovald more tedious to navigate than tangled depths, even with the map being nothing but narrow roads all over it's still a pain to get around and you don't even get the pretty and varied sights of tangled depths, it's just grey on grey with a bit of green and a garbage pit.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I find echovald more tedious to navigate than tangled depths, even with the map being nothing but narrow roads all over it's still a pain to get around and you don't even get the pretty and varied sights of tangled depths, it's just grey on grey with a bit of green and a garbage pit.

Agreed. Td *with all masteries and mounts* is great. First experience of TD is awful.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
This story has a few ups but I have never been impressed with it and mostly feel like it’s a slog on the way to do other things. It’s the last part of the return to.. achievements I ever want to do, mostly because it’s unskippable dialogue in story chapters I’ve already done. I really wish they’d go back to those campy dialogue cutscenes just so I could skip hearing them again.

The rest of the game is super fun though and worth dealing with the mediocre story.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The story's biggest crime is they didn't think of having checkpoints until around PoF, if you had a achievement you were trying to get that was difficult and easy to fail you had to restart the 10 minutes of dialogue before the fight.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

It's fun unlocking stuff like gliding since it's account wide

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The actual play environement of Tangled Depths is cool, but the minimap for it is actively harmful for navigating in it.

It’s still a better map than New Kaineng.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

whydirt posted:

The actual play environement of Tangled Depths is cool, but the minimap for it is actively harmful for navigating in it.

It’s still a better map than New Kaineng.

My favorite thing about New Kaieng is going to questing zone, Garden Heights, around where they introduce the jade bot, it has a bench, a ton of jade batteries, and offensive/defensive protocols in close proximity.

A very good pit stop to stock up on 2 hours of open world buffs before doing a bunch of non-instanced content.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Jedah posted:

The same could be said for the Chak Gerent meta event, as long as you have a squad/commander with a tag and can stick near the group, it's a fun event and not too stressful to navigate.

TD can be a pain to navigate, but the meta is simple - one large central chamber with a waypoint, and 4 tunnels leading off from it (which are highlighted with enormous arrows on the minimap during the meta). Just don't branch off from the main tunnels and you can't get lost.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
People are always saying how disappointed they are in how lifeless kaineng is and how you can't go inside anything, but I hardly hear anyone else disappointed that we don't really get the big lit up stone tree cathedrals from gw1.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

People are always saying how disappointed they are in how lifeless kaineng is and how you can't go inside anything, but I hardly hear anyone else disappointed that we don't really get the big lit up stone tree cathedrals from gw1.

i mean that's kind of what arborstone looks like it is from inside? kind of. not the same vibe granted

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I went back to the asura disco room in TD For the invisible chair cheevo and was amazed at how easy it was to get there with mounts. I remember that being an incredible find and really tricky to get up to back in the day. Mounts definitely trivialize a lot of it, esp now that skimmers can go underwater. Same with verdant brink, getting around there without a flying mount required knowing all the updrafts and such, now you just hop on a skyscale and go up. It's so weird now seeing everyone talk about how HoT was the best expansion when everyone hated it so much when it came out. The future improvements and additions to the game really helped out those maps.

GW2 story mostly gets screwed over by knowing that all the promising stuff doesn't go anywhere. HoT's story was atrocious because it cut all the stuff that would have been interesting to see (Malyck, the Nightmare Court, etc). IBS started off with better writing than anything in the game to date, but it was made much worse by the fact that it all got trashed. PoF is the exception in that it actually starts and finishes a story and maintains quality. Your opinion about what that quality is may vary but at least it got the job done. I thought the writing in EoD was better than most of what came before it, mostly in that NPCs had actual personalities, but the whole thing did feel kinda rushed. The side story stuff has been excellent, however, I hope they keep up with the trend of side quest cheevos like A Guardian Once More, the Fate of House Zu Heltzer, the End of the Ministry, and the Honorary Delaqua line. Even the Snargle side quest made me laugh a few times.

New Kaineng is frustrating because I swear 90% of the complaints about navigating the zone would go away if they'd just mark the teleporters on the minimap, but as someone who has very recently completed mastery and all the lore achievements in the zone I still can't remember where most of them are and have to double check what the destinations actually mean when I do find them. It's got the most Anet syndrome vibe of "we're going to really go all out and make a huge vibrant living city! yeah, awesome! okay time to ship how much have we got done? 20%? eh, so it goes."

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

What, being able to wear one on your back wasn't enough for you??!?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Currently trying to catch up to the end of the PvE story line and LWS4 Just. Keeps. Going. I'm finally on part 6 but good lord.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i liked p. much all the stories in the game post base-game (base game is good at the start but then falls off a cliff imo though i guess even that depends on which race/origin you pick), but i wasn't in a rush and playing all of it in a full party of friends :shobon:

still find ff14 way better story wise but gw2's is completely serviceable

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Here is a good example why you should try your best to skip from T2 straight to T4 fractals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q2OZBh3Sac

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
that's art

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

gliding is so awesome and such a good QoL feature

i love gliding!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Griffon and Raptors are the Only Mount for me. Unless I'm forced to use the others, I'm only using my chocobo or my griffon.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

jokes posted:

Griffon and Raptors are the Only Mount for me. Unless I'm forced to use the others, I'm only using my chocobo or my griffon.

For as many gripes as I might share with in our thread, the Griffon has gotta be my favorite mount in any video game ever. Jealous of your raptor/chocobo, that's an awesome skin.

I'll never understand how a 10 year old MMO still has the best dang mount system. Does anything else even come close?

Bunny jump + Jade bot glider boost + Griffon jet plane across the map feels amazing. I mean, all the mounts are good, roller beetle has a place in my heart, too. I can't say enough positive stuff about the mounts.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 18, 2023

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I mean, to be fair, the mount system in GW2 came out in 2017. WoW's dragonflying is a pale comparison, but I think that one's more about getting places than about being an aspect of GW2's platforming/world exploration.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Jedah posted:

Bunny jump + Jade bot glider boost + Griffon jet plane across the map feels amazing. I mean, all the mounts are good, roller beetle has a place in my heart, too. I can't say enough positive stuff about the mounts.

This and the jackal superlaunch have extended my enjoyment of this game by so many hours.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

SlothBear posted:

jackal superlaunch

What's this? Because I was just about to talk about how jackal is the only mount that's kind of superfluous (outside it's very specific usage in PoF)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Having recently played FF14ARR, I think Gw2 core is better. At the very least I felt like I knew what the story was about.
AR felt like a lot of disconnected ideas and scenes for the most part.
Yeah I know it gets better but I don't think a game is good if you have to invest 50 hours first, thank you.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Roller Beetle is the best mount because GO FAST.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Jedah posted:

I'll never understand how a 10 year old MMO still has the best dang mount system. Does anything else even come close?

This system is "only" 6 years old as someone else said, but in general, because the genre decided to stop innovating after the EQ/WoW style made so much money.

The genre is painfully stagnant. From mechanics to progression to even environments. Big unlimited fantasy world - okay there's a forest and a desert and a pretty field and an ice zone, ship it!

Most of the notable big 5 or so MMOs all have their own flavors and cool stuff they do, of course. But no one has had the balls and funding to really innovate in a long time. Just finding new ways to monetize is about it, heh.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

gandlethorpe posted:

What's this? Because I was just about to talk about how jackal is the only mount that's kind of superfluous (outside it's very specific usage in PoF)

You use the aurene jump wings skill right after the jackal teleport and it launches you incredibly far.

Here's a video of it. You basically move, jump, jackal port and then use the aurene dismount a split second after. It's fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsFiWgqBnPA

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I've been using the super launch with skyscale dashes, but I never thought to try it with the jackal, it's a lot of momentum.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Festival, 100 fractal CM and patch notes.
https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/134006-game-update-notes-july-18-2023/

quote:

Deadeye
One in the Chamber: Reduced bonus damage from 300% to 10% in PvE only.
Anet balancing at it's finest.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

TEN percent? WHy loving bother????

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

elementalist having essentially a 25% movespeed passive is nice

i'm sure i'll be suffering later from squishiness so i'll take what I can get

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

New patch day. How's it been for everyone so far?

I haven't experimented with Alacrity on Heal Druid yet, but Mukluk is streaming on twitch , finding bugs, and testing stuff, if you're curious.

xZAOx posted:

This system is "only" 6 years old as someone else said, but in general, because the genre decided to stop innovating after the EQ/WoW style made so much money.

The genre is painfully stagnant. From mechanics to progression to even environments. Big unlimited fantasy world - okay there's a forest and a desert and a pretty field and an ice zone, ship it!

Most of the notable big 5 or so MMOs all have their own flavors and cool stuff they do, of course. But no one has had the balls and funding to really innovate in a long time. Just finding new ways to monetize is about it, heh.

Thanks, that makes sense, good explanation. That's the one area of the game where GW2 is untouchable, 11/10 and my favorite - mounts. It sounds like Skyscale will be more accessible in the expansion, that's a move they should've done a long time ago.

SlothBear posted:

This and the jackal superlaunch have extended my enjoyment of this game by so many hours.

Oh dang, this is so freaking cool - I have to try this now, somehow I never knew about it.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Inzombiac posted:

TEN percent? WHy loving bother????

Yeah uh, I even checked in-game to make sure this wasn't a typo and it really is 10% lol, what is their loving problem? This is way worse than the previous worst balancing decision where they boosted the stealth duration for mesmers by 100% and then were like "oh whoops" and cut it by 50%. A 97% reduction is showing some superhuman levels of ineptitude.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 18, 2023

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
This seems to be most people's experience with the new CM and my own experience too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzSWHG7rhjY

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

This seems to be most people's experience with the new CM and my own experience too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzSWHG7rhjY

Even an apex predator and spec living at the top of the food chain, Condi Virtuoso, cowers beneath the power of Anet's poor design choices. We had a guildie who kept dying during this, we just let her get it all out on discord and didn't even say a word. Totally get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

That's a 300% --> 10% damage bonus for the stolen skills, to be clear. That thing that does 133 (0.5) base damage. Like the number reduction sounds big but that's not a colossally large amount of damage being removed here.

They've had some questionable design decisions the last patch, sure, but try to look at the changes within context instead of yelling just because Number Change Looks Big.