Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I have a couple really really old Chinese coins, they aren't worth anything because shockingly they made a lot of them back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I don't know what this is supposed to be, but it is clearly a shitcoin. I've never even heard of this one. https://twitter.com/SiamKidd/status/1680726068456562689

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I don't know what this is supposed to be, but it is clearly a shitcoin. I've never even heard of this one. https://twitter.com/SiamKidd/status/1680726068456562689

I can’t tell where the Reimann zeros show up on that line…maybe they’re in the TimeCube?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

"Human behavior never changes, and is never unpredictable :smug:" - an investor who is definitely not about to lose everything

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

deep dish peat moss posted:

"Human behavior never changes, and is never unpredictable :smug:" - an investor who is definitely not about to lose everything

i mean, it's not wrong, but the predictable thing is that someone is going to do something incredibly stupid, it's just he hasn't noticed yet that nobody else in the room is the one doing it

drk
Jan 16, 2005
from the comments

i cant tell if these people are lovely grifters or actually think theyve unlocked some sort of magic pattern recognition powers that are going to earn them <checks math> 170x returns on this shitcoin

i looked it up and its a newish coin that proudly advertises being proof of work, because wasting energy is actually good

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

mmmm you can really taste the burnt graphics cards in every bite, artificial pos coins just don't have the same taste.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The next big thing is going to be pasting your chart into Photoshop and outpainting it with AI for a super accurate price prediction.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

chatgpt, what coins should I buy?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

bribing my gpt-based robot captor with crypto, knowing its database stopped in 2021 and it never heard LUNA is worthless

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
AI has one flaw: it believes in crypto

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

drk posted:

from the comments

i cant tell if these people are lovely grifters or actually think theyve unlocked some sort of magic pattern recognition powers that are going to earn them <checks math> 170x returns on this shitcoin

i looked it up and its a newish coin that proudly advertises being proof of work, because wasting energy is actually good

A lot of the crypto circle people will start the hypothesis on some market cap targets and work their way back to justify the initial goalposts, and move them at will from the metaphorical southern icecap to the northern at will.

It's pie in the sky stuff all the time.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

notwithoutmyanus posted:

A lot of the crypto circle people will start the hypothesis on some market cap targets and work their way back to justify the initial goalposts, and move them at will from the metaphorical southern icecap to the northern at will.

It's pie in the sky stuff all the time.

Have fun being poor. I'll be obeying the cardano fractal...

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Boxturret posted:

I have a couple really really old Chinese coins, they aren't worth anything because shockingly they made a lot of them back then.

How old? Like, pre communist old?

drk
Jan 16, 2005

coolusername posted:

https://twitter.com/offlinecashco

The Bitcoin Note: Physical, secure #Bitcoin that you can easily share, spend or hold. “Crypto bros invent cash.”

Step 1 for "offline cash" is.... go online and download an app

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I think he means copper cash.

1000+ year-old coins are worth surprisingly little because a) they were made in such quantity and b) they survive being buried for a milennium much better than other artifacts.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Yeah the little copper ones with a square hole in them, I did look up when they would have been made, I can't recall now but it was centuries ago.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Boxturret posted:

Yeah the little copper ones with a square hole in them, I did look up when they would have been made, I can't recall now but it was centuries ago.

the square hole is where the qr code goes, if it is missing the coin has already been spent

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

I think he means copper cash.

1000+ year-old coins are worth surprisingly little because a) they were made in such quantity and b) they survive being buried for a milennium much better than other artifacts.

same is true for jewelry, this 2000 year old roman gold ring just sold for under $6000 at christies, which is a lot less than a lot of stuff you'll see at the mall

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Not that you couldn't probably get something for them to coin collectors, especially if you can identify a particular time or place they're from. Or just start your own. Coins are pretty cool, and a great way to trace history.

Boxturret posted:

I'm pretty sure China's been using that style of coin for ever in some form or another. The hole means they're lightweight and can be tied in a roll on a string or a ribbon. When you have a huge country with a ton of people by any standard, helps to have currency that's cheap to make and easy to store and carry in large quantities.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Same with modern jewellery, which is mostly an outright scam of inflated "perceived value". Perfectly apt for this thread. I had a friend who used to work in the London jewellery pawnshops, where they still make jewellery for retail. In our company he hooked everyone up with cheap wedding and engagement rings, as he still knew all the jewellers and would do a bit of part-time work to keep his hand in.

I got a diamond ring, set in platinum, as my ex-wife always wanted a ring and I was too poor when we met to buy one then. My mate got it for £1300 for me, made special to my specifications. That price covered material costs, the work, and both the jeweller and my mate were getting money in their pocket from it. Took it along to a local shop for an official appraisal, for insurance purposes, and they said it was "worth" £2850. That was the amount of completely artificial mark-up they add to rings sold at retail.

But the thing is this, those rings aren't worth £2850. Try and sell one, it's impossible. Hell, that ring I bought at "mates rates" with all the retail margin removed, it would have been impossible to sell it even privately for the £1300 I paid for it, let alone the £2850. The only rings people buy privately are the older antique ones, otherwise they just get their own custom ring made (if they are smart) or buy full price at retail like all the other suckers tricked into the "three months wages" marketing bullshit of the diamond industry. The only way to ever get the money back on a ring would be an insurance scam, because the only legitimate way to sell the ring is to the pawnshop jewellers, and they only give you the trade cost of the raw materials. They just do not buy a ring, to sell the ring as is. They melt it back down and remake it, and reset the stones, because the making of a ring is easy for them to do and has no retail value, so that "three months wages" engagement ring is only truly worth the trade price of the stones and metals. Even then the jewellers feel like they are doing you a favour by taking it off your hands. The sketchier places obviously pay less than the trade price of the raw materials because everyone wants profit.

Anyway, in the case of that Roman gold ring, someone there is probably paying like 5k extra just because it's got 2000 year old Roman craftsmanship to it, and there's not going to be many like it that show up. It's a pure novelty for a history obsessed nerd, like someone who pays a fortune for a china cup brought up from the Titanic wreck.

tl;dr - don't buy diamond rings they are just as much a scam as crypto

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Thesaurus posted:

Have fun being poor. I'll be obeying the cardano fractal...

Excuse me no. It’s OBEYING the CARDANO FRACTAL

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Parkingtigers posted:

My mate got it for £1300 for me, made special to my specifications. Took it along to a local shop for an official appraisal, for insurance purposes, and they said it was "worth" £2850. That was the amount of completely artificial mark-up they add to rings sold at retail.

I mean yes diamond rings are a scam, I don't think that anyone here disputes that, but you do know that pretty much every diamond ring is appraised for twice the purchase price right? I could walk into any of the big jewelers today and drop $5k on a ring that appraises for $10k which I couldn't sell for more than $3k.

Just so people know because I've seen the appraisal value used in scams for people that don't know that rule of thumb.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Scratch Monkey posted:

Excuse me no. It’s OBEYING the CARDANO FRACTAL

I love that these damned grifters don't even bother with error bars, as apparently they can perfectly predict human behavior in economic systems now?

Which is a sure sign its bunk.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Former SEC lawyer (very tech minded) on why the ripple ruling was stupid. It's long, well cited, and worth a read. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/ripple-decision-cause-crypto-celebration-momentarily-best-stark/

some choice quotes:

John Stark sec lawyer posted:

Securities laws were specifically designed to protect individual investors, based on the idea that they can’t fend for themselves and that ripping off investors can cause cataclysmic market events (like the crash of 1929). The Ripple decision turns this notion on its head.

As Professor Ann Lipton notes wryly:

“Let’s just get out of the way that it’s perverse that sales to institutions are treated as securities because institutions are sophisticated. That’s backwards; it subverts the purpose of the securities laws (to protect less sophisticated investors) and contradicts other tests for whether assets are securities (the Reves test often weights investor sophistication against finding the presence of a security).”
Finally, the Ripple decision appears to hold that when a token is bought by institutional buyers for consideration in the form of cash, then that token is a security. However, the Ripple Court also seems to hold that when a token is given to employees for consideration in the form of work, the token is not a security. This notion seems to defy well established principles of contract law.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Tunicate posted:

same is true for jewelry, this 2000 year old roman gold ring just sold for under $6000 at christies, which is a lot less than a lot of stuff you'll see at the mall

ngl, I'd like to own some ancient jewelry. seems like at least some kind of investment in a tangible thing...unlike loving bitcoin LMAO!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Former SEC lawyer (very tech minded) on why the ripple ruling was stupid. It's long, well cited, and worth a read. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/ripple-decision-cause-crypto-celebration-momentarily-best-stark/

some choice quotes:

Yeah, I have talked to a couple of lawyers who know this area fairly well and universally what I hear is: this opinion makes no loving sense, even if you are a CRYPTO ARENT SECURITIES kind of person. You could much more plausibly argue XRP is not a security than this odd baby-splitting decision where something is a security when sold to highly sophisticated parties (that securities law doesn't care about protecting) but is not a security when those bags are dumped on retail holders (the precise people who securities law cares about). It's either a security in both cases or in neither.

It seems highly likely to be reversed on appeal (and once the SEC appeals Ripple will appeal too) and its not binding on anyone else and likely to be ignored by other courts.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

As always, Matt Levine has the best words for this:

Matt Levine posted:

That is: If you go around making public statements, on your website and on Reddit and elsewhere, saying things like “if you buy our token we will use the money to build an ecosystem and make the token more valuable,” that makes your token a security, but only to people who are sophisticated enough to read your website. Sophisticated institutional investors who read your disclosure documents and understand that they are making an investment in your business are entitled to the protections of the securities laws, while random retail day-traders who just like your ticker symbol are not. You cannot be doing securities fraud on them, because they are not paying attention.

I want to say three things about that theory. First, it is actually intuitively very plausible? “If investors didn't read your advertising, then it doesn’t matter if those advertisements were lies.” Traditionally an element of fraud is “reliance”: If you lie to people to get them to give you money, and they give you the money because of the lies, then you have defrauded them; if they didn’t listen to you and were going to give you the money no matter what then maybe you haven’t.

Second, it is very much not the rule of the stock market. It is absolutely the case that many retail investors buying Meta stock have never looked at any of Meta’s SEC filings. If it turned out that Meta was lying in those filings, and shareholders brought a securities-fraud class action, you could imagine Meta saying “well, half of these plaintiffs didn’t read the filings, so you should throw the case out.” But that wouldn’t work! It is very standard US securities law that if you lie in your securities filings, all your shareholders can sue you, because somebody read the filings, and the lies affected the stock price, and everyone who bought the stock at the (wrong, higher, inflated-by-your-lies) price was defrauded. (This is called “fraud on the market”: Each individual investor may not have relied on the lies, but the market did.)

Third, it is … obviously … terrible … policy? “The securities laws protect only sophisticated investors who negotiate directly with the company, not retail investors who trade on public exchanges” is the exact opposite of the normal rule.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Lord Stimperor posted:

It is a very secure and theoretically tamperproof system of keeping records. But not for something that needs to be accessed very often.
Except not in reality since it's so easy to DOS it or fool the users into installing a malicious client

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Herman Merman posted:

Except not in reality since it's so easy to DOS it or fool the users into installing a malicious client

The flaw is always in the implementation that creates a vulnerability. And without a centralized source to appeal to, there is no recourse. And woops, now I send all my money into the void.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Parkingtigers posted:

Same with modern jewellery,
No offence, but of course you can't resell a used, retail-bought item for what you bought it for. That isn't why the diamond market is a scam. The appraisal also isn't 'what can this be sold for', it gives an assessment of what the ring is and a sort of hypothetical value that is meaningful for insurance purposes, though I agree that system is weird and intentionally opaque at best.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Markets always obey the Ligma Fractal.

Say, want to go 50:50 on a sweet opportunity? I'll need your share up front to secure...

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

If Bitcoin and NFTs had succeeded they would be studying the CUM COIN double cuck musk quadrangle in economics school.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Scarodactyl posted:

No offence, but of course you can't resell a used, retail-bought item for what you bought it for. That isn't why the diamond market is a scam. The appraisal also isn't 'what can this be sold for', it gives an assessment of what the ring is and a sort of hypothetical value that is meaningful for insurance purposes, though I agree that system is weird and intentionally opaque at best.

The diamond market has rough similarities to NFTs in that it relies on manipulating the public perception of value while artificially constraining supply. I haven't checked recently, but I know for a long time the chief executives from De Beers weren't able to visit the US because they would be arrested for antitrust violations or something along those lines.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/molly0xfff/status/1681375022298824726?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The diamond market has rough similarities to NFTs in that it relies on manipulating the public perception of value while artificially constraining supply. I haven't checked recently, but I know for a long time the chief executives from De Beers weren't able to visit the US because they would be arrested for antitrust violations or something along those lines.
The diamond market is deeply artificial for sure, and in a way other gems typically aren't (other crap like turkish diaspore might qualify but that's not even small potatoes in scale). They pushed too hard for too long and now lab diamonds are getting ready to eat their lunch.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
You just know someone out there received an ape as a wedding proposal, and the guy is probably drinking soylent alone in a basement right now

Speaking of Soylent, how the hell are people still apparently buying this poo poo? It came off as a joke product to me initially due to the Soylent Green connection, and then all the lead an cadmium issues lol

:lol::lol::lol: vvv

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 18, 2023

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Mercury_Storm posted:

You just know someone out there received an ape as a wedding proposal, and the guy is probably drinking soylent alone in a basement right now

posting a link to a tweet just has a screenshot doesn't really make sense in these times does it

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
What does TA mean there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Boxturret posted:

posting a link to a tweet just has a screenshot doesn't really make sense in these times does it

so that's the wife changing amount of money they were talking about

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 18, 2023