Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

rotor posted:

anyone who makes me do more work deserves death, nothing less and nothing more

idk, I’m the idiot who accepted my role, and I’m also the idiot who hired the other idiot who made more work for me. I don’t particularly know what’s going on in the other idiots life rn, so unless an absolutely ridiculous PR comes through or they decide to go full aggro on someone, I don’t really have a full-picture way to diagnose the issue and offer resolutions and see how they go beyond “hey we need this for the release this week that you’ve had a month to work on, either poo poo or get off the pot”

I’m just glad everyone recognises that not every hire is going to be as good as my first three were. that was definitely the scary bit when new hires ended up not working out. I thought it’d reflect poorly on me, but instead it just solidified their opinions because I apparently noticed issues early and started trying to get them on the right track and then didn’t lose a year or two to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
the most satisfying thing in life is when someone asks you to do work, but through careful examination of their request, you determine that it is they who must do the work

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i did a bad hire and my career took a significant hit.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

DELETE CASCADE posted:

the most satisfying thing in life is when someone asks you to do work, but through careful examination of their request, you determine that it is they who must do the work

doublecame

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

this is how we do it and it’s still aggravating because whoops the talent pool willing to deal with that is actually a puddle and also I still feel bad having to let people go, even if they made my job harder and made me have to do more work
usually the worst or newest devs are willing to do contract to perm. if you want good devs you gotta do perm from the get go. what kind of skilled person takes a poo poo contract w no bennies

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

DELETE CASCADE posted:

is there any better feeling in the world than sifting through your outlook sent items archive, finding the long-ago email conversation where you explicitly handed off a task to someone else, and then forwarding it to them (and their manager) when they come after you for not doing that thing?

there is not

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

FMguru posted:

is there any better feeling in the world than sifting through your outlook sent items archive, finding the long-ago email conversation where you explicitly handed off a task to someone else, and then forwarding it to them (and their manager) when they come after you for not doing that thing?

there is not

yeah, there is. have you ever done a creampie

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

PokeJoe posted:

usually the worst or newest devs are willing to do contract to perm. if you want good devs you gotta do perm from the get go. what kind of skilled person takes a poo poo contract w no bennies

yup, when I started out I was newish to mobile development and really cut my teeth here, and they actually sought me out from my previous technical consultant role because they hoped I could pick up the ropes quickly, and lucky for me I did :toot:

but ya I’m hoping we get that changed next year

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
met with the HR head today for the start up. they have been given a great outlook for scaling. 65 person company already has ladders and future roles defined. plan on hiring more design/research next year and have a hiring plan. regular employee feedback surveys, current focus on personal development. there’s a few people from old company’s early days who are working there and some that are in the interview pipeline. they do have a 2 year run way, can claim profitability next year but plan to grow more. they got their series a in this economy so i’m fairly impressed.

starting to really get excited. have a few more rounds of interviews next and a white boarding session. they’re building the designer interview plane as it’s flying, which is not unfamiliar to me.

having been in the interviewer chair this all feels easy and not stressful at all. srs if you can get some xp doing interviews it makes the process way less stressful.

any good questions to ask EMs at early stage start ups? I have been using The Questions on the first post.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jul 18, 2023

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

oh

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

cheese eats mouse posted:

met with the HR head today for the start up. they have been given a great outlook for scaling. 65 person company already has ladders and future roles defined. plan on hiring more design/research next year and have a hiring plan. regular employee feedback surveys, current focus on personal development. there’s a few people from old company’s early days who are working there and some that are in the interview pipeline. they do have a 2 year run way, can claim profitability next year but plan to grow more. they got their series a in this economy so i’m fairly impressed.

starting to really get excited. have a few more rounds of interviews next and a white boarding session. they’re building the designer interview plane as it’s flying, which is not unfamiliar to me.

having been in the interviewer chair this all feels easy and not stressful at all. srs if you can get some xp doing interviews it makes the process way less stressful.

any good questions to ask EMs at early stage start ups? I have been using The Questions on the first post.

whats the catch? its crypto, fintech or social media? :)

anyway good for you congrats

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

so i am wondering that if an interview process is maybe not a good idea for gauging good candidates, then what could someone do to back up their talk? have demonstrable contributions to an open source project? show off a hobby thing?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

DELETE CASCADE posted:

this is my superpower and in hindsight probably why all of my managers held on to me with an iron grip through multiple rounds of layoffs

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

4lokos basilisk posted:

so i am wondering that if an interview process is maybe not a good idea for gauging good candidates, then what could someone do to back up their talk? have demonstrable contributions to an open source project? show off a hobby thing?

yeah being able to walk through other stuff they've built is a really good indicator but the problem is a lot of pros like to have lives outside of work & their work consists of things they can't discuss or share. so your positive signals are very likely to be good but you'll hit a lot of false negatives with it

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

pulled this on a PM who had copied my boss on his request for a project progress report while I was on PTO last week and it was divine

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i generalize some recent customer tickets we received where the problem was very obviously on the customer's side, ones where no knowledge of our product is necessary, and walk the candidates through them. they cover different areas at a basic level like networking, operating systems, etc, and candidates should be able to pretty quickly know what the problem is. sometimes i can tell they're tripping up trying to think what weird bullshit about our product would cause that and at that point i step in and tell them, 'this isn't a trick question' and the good candidates then get it immediately

like the one i've been using recently is a ticket where a customer is saying their reports aren't working with no further information provided. after a bit of coaxing you get the customer to read the error message to you, which is this cryptic sequence of characters: unable to resolve hostname

can you solve this dastardly riddle in time!?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

rotor posted:

from a hiring perspective, IDEALLY i would hire people contract-to-perm because that would let me bounce clowns if it became clear that they were clowns. But, understandably, no one likes that, so the next best thing is to be real sure they're not clowns up front.

could easily do something like this with a union and apprenticeship program so it's not terrible for the worker either. some clowns just need a bit of help wiping the face paint off.

rotor posted:

i did a bad hire and my career took a significant hit.

that sounds like a bullshit org. did everyone who signed off on this person also take a hit?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cheese eats mouse posted:

I think one of the biggest things is trying to figure out how they're visualizing working with you, I typically ask a ton of questions about the product decision making process and how that works. the designer's relationship with the actual product decision makers [which may not be the product managers at a startup] is the most important thing in my experience and if they're looking to "add design" rather than incorporate your role into their whole process is something to look out for. ask how they see you working with them [this is a good time to get them used to the idea of you personally in that role] and what their expectations for the first 1/3/6 months look like for the role. room to get promoted is great but you need to have a chance to succeed

[I owe you a response to your message, I will get to it]

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Poopernickel posted:

yossers: is this a real thing?

no.

i dismissed that part as obvious bait.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i've had several contractors who went perm and were amazing

the key is that you don't define it as contract-to-perm initially. you hire a contractor for a project and if they turn out to be a rockstar, you offer them a permanent role

by that same token, if you're someone with nothing but 6-12 month contracts on their resume and no permanent long term gigs, we're probably not going to consider you for a permanent long term gig without first having you on as a contractor

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

PokeJoe posted:

yeah, there is. have you ever done a creampie

lmfao

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

DELETE CASCADE posted:

I don't know, I really like when somebody asks me to do something that's actually in my wheelhouse and is an appropriate task for me to do. Carefully examining their request and pushing it back to them sounds like an awful lot of work to me.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

we have an utterly helpless dev who needs constant handholding.

they frequently ask others to deploy their code for them saying they don't know how to deploy -- despite the deploy process consisting of "select a git tag from a dropdown, or type it in manaully if you so desire. click deploy" so of course any time they need to deploy, they go to ops and ask us to do it for them

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

DELETE CASCADE posted:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

nudgenudgetilt posted:

we have an utterly helpless dev who needs constant handholding.

they frequently ask others to deploy their code for them saying they don't know how to deploy -- despite the deploy process consisting of "select a git tag from a dropdown, or type it in manaully if you so desire. click deploy" so of course any time they need to deploy, they go to ops and ask us to do it for them

some people are just awful and incapable of learning, but I have gotten a LOT of mileage out of the question "What have you tried?"

sometimes intelligent people just get too in their own head about stuff and need a little push to think about something other than "gently caress idk how to do this at all"

asking people what they've tried helps in a lot of ways:
  • gently sets the expectation that they need to try to work it out before you help
  • gives enough context that you can hopefully make recommendations for what to try next without wasting too much time
  • tricks them into rubber-duck debugging as they type out what they've done and why they've done it

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

if its not imposter syndrome or anything nearby and they really just don't want to learn, just assign them all the tickets that are annoying and unimportant and hope that they quit soon

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

(i quoted the wrong post earlier, sorry tk)

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

qua-qua-qua-quanster kill

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

4lokos basilisk posted:

whats the catch? its crypto, fintech or social media? :)

anyway good for you congrats

it’s physical product market research. think new air fryers and food and drink

they’re trying to be the usertesting.com of physical product research

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 18, 2023

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

qirex posted:

[I owe you a response to your message, I will get to it]

good stuff. also no worries

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

KidDynamite posted:

could easily do something like this with a union

[pinches bridge of nose] son,

quote:

that sounds like a bullshit org. did everyone who signed off on this person also take a hit?

it kind of is bullshit but also i sorta went to bat for the dude

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
So when they say "spend 2 to 3 hours on this take-home project" how many hours are most people actually spending on it?

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

last take home was a weekend for me of on and off work but i’m a tryhard admittedly

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Depends, does it seem finishable? Sometimes they don't expect you to complete it, sometimes they do. Spend as much time as you care to tbh, I don't like to work for hours for free but you might really want this job :shrug:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
did we ever figure out what's the clown test

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
whats the rate of hires being good? i thought it was consistent around 70% for decades, dating all the way back to fermi problema being the interviewing norm

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Doom Mathematic posted:

So when they say "spend 2 to 3 hours on this take-home project" how many hours are most people actually spending on it?

the last takehome I did i think was two evenings work

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

JawnV6 posted:

they walk you into an office with nothing but a monitor then they turn it off

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

JawnV6 posted:

dude i interview so many fuckin clowns

i mean we covered this many pages ago but i had like 3/4ths of candidates unable to do a fizzbuzz given 30 minutes to do so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

rotor posted:

“ive never shipped a bug to prod” means you dont ship or you dont test

conversely, "ive only shipped bugs to prod" also probably means you dont test.