Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

"Ladies and gentlemen, I'm proud of our commitment to heal the earth's climate with sustainable investments. And I'm even more proud that we've managed to attract one of the great experts in the field of sustainability and climate to lead our new initiative. Let me introduce you to our new fund manager, Hexxus, the evil pollution monster from Fern Gully- Hexxus, come on out here and say hello to everyone!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idiootti
Apr 11, 2012

silicone thrills posted:

Re: the paint thing

Weve spent a fuckload of time and effort working on permeable concrete mixes because it turns out turning whole cities into flood spill ways was a bad idea.

The paint is incompatible with a permeable surface.

Lmao just drill some holes into it, bam solved.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

The Oldest Man posted:

"Ladies and gentlemen, I'm proud of our commitment to heal the earth's climate with sustainable investments. And I'm even more proud that we've managed to attract one of the great experts in the field of sustainability and climate to lead our new initiative. Let me introduce you to our new fund manager, Hexxus, the evil pollution monster from Fern Gully-"

great opportunities in our sustainability business. supporting our growth, and our profitable growth, going to market in a vertical approach. this is not new to us, but we will continue to develop specific use cases, value propositions, to drive differentiation in vertical markets. this is how we add value to our consumers.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Painters wear N95 masks

I assume this is not because paint is harmless to your health. Don't know if it causes cancer specifically but probably.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Lol, the chemicals to make acrylic occur naturally. Did you know you even make acetone in your own body?

Of course we make them from propane now

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Hubbert posted:

try not to rile yourselves up, fellow doomers

it can, and always will, be worse with time

the true essence of doomer is that things get worse, they do not end. there is no improvement, only delay.

and yeah we're probably not getting the cinematic ending of supervolcanoes, nukes, hypercanes, asteroids etc., just slowly choked out by tick infested ivy and acidic water lol, lmao

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

In New Mexico, temperatures are too high for birds to use their usual coping methods

BRYCE DIX, BYLINE: And this is Bryce Dix in Albuquerque, N.M., where the heat wave has triggered statewide excessive heat warnings. The scorching heat spells trouble for humans, but it's also hurting wildlife, especially bird populations. Normally to keep cool in heat waves like this, birds have a variety of tools at their disposal. Some urinate on their own legs, but the most common is a sort of avian panting. That's where the bird will open its mouth and flutter its neck muscles. But that panting can cause birds to lose water and become dehydrated rapidly. Now, experts say the climate is warming much too fast for birds to adapt.

BLAIR WOLF: We're talking about birds that breed once a year.

DIX: That's University of New Mexico biologist Blair Wolf. He's concerned for bird diversity in the Southwest and across the world as global temperatures recently reached the hottest they've ever been in history, causing unprecedented dehydration and loss of food sources.

WOLF: So there's not a lot of good news, and people need to wake up when you have 120 degrees over in Phoenix and 130 in Death Valley.

DIX: Those susceptible birds might include small songbirds like goldfinches, which get dehydrated fast, or birds like the curve-billed thrasher, which only live in the desert and can't move to cooler places. Some, he says, could be wiped out.

WOLF: The birds that are most susceptible to heat stress are just going to be gone.

DIX: In the meantime, blistering temperatures are expected to loom over the region throughout the next week, potentially breaking heat records in the process.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Soggy Muffin posted:

Quite frankly I can’t be the only one that would finally be able to enjoy the ocean and all it has to offer knowing that nothing creepy will bite me. Could finally go snorkeling and see all the cool poo poo down there!

tbh i'd rather be bitten by a fish than stung by a jellyfish

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Painters wear N95 masks

I assume this is not because paint is harmless to your health. Don't know if it causes cancer specifically but probably.

its paint, we use it everywhere! we'd never put something dangerous or toxic in paint. especially not in white paint, that's the easiest color!

paint, so safe, your kids can eat the white paint chips off the walls!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Painters wear N95 masks

Yes. Most paint fumes do cause cancers and other illnesses. It rocks. I'm an artist - painter and printer - and a very reasonable amount of my early class time in college was talking about all the different chemicals, dyes, heavy metals, binders etc in paints and inks. Even the low VOC poo poo is still offgassing as it dries.

I used to get wicked loving migraines if I wasn't constantly masked in studio and its stuck with me since and I even wear a mask while im painting outside for the same reason. It's not worth the headaches or future cancers!

Anyway you know how like most house paint brands are trying to claim that they are low VOC? lmao they still got them VOCs. Everyone acknowledges it now.

https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quality-iaq/what-are-volatile-organic-compounds-vocs

https://www.lung.org/clean-air/at-home/indoor-air-pollutants/volatile-organic-compounds

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

You know who doesn't wear N95 masks when they paint? Normal people who are painting their bedroom. We use something like this. Still a good idea to open the windows though.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/9-in-x-3-8-in-Microfiber-Paint-Roller-Cover-3-Pack-HD-RS-1733/203230113

Professional painters would use something like this

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Wagner-FLEXiO-2500-Handheld-HVLP-Paint-and-Stain-Sprayer-2409509/316606245

I would wear a N95 mask if I was around paint airborne paint droplets for 40 hours a week, 50 weeks a year. It doesn't cause cancer but I still don't want to be breathing it. Also the paint an artist would use from a tube are not the same thing we slap on and in our houses by the gallon.

Zeta Taskforce has issued a correction as of 20:28 on Jul 18, 2023

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Erghh posted:

and yeah we're probably not getting the cinematic ending of supervolcanoes, nukes, hypercanes, asteroids etc., just slowly choked out by tick infested ivy and acidic water lol, lmao

new av, nice.

Vox Nihili posted:

WOLF: The birds that are most susceptible to heat stress are just going to be gone.

:(

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Zeta Taskforce posted:

You know who doesn't wear N95 masks when they paint? Normal people who are painting their bedroom.

Yeah you should definitely be wearing a p100 with at least nuisance organic vapor protection

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Its not a solution to address global warming, its a low tech solution to make individual buildings more comfortable.

many are claiming it as a mitigation technique for climate change. but even if it is "just a low tech solution to make individual buildings more comfortable" it still very well could make the climate worse because of the emissions related to producing, shipping, and disposing of it at end of life.

which is in fact, a downside.

Trabisnikof has issued a correction as of 20:34 on Jul 18, 2023

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

it'll be useful when the food shortages hit

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Y'all can sit around and doom about how this won't work or that won't work or we can't paint all the trees white and all of that but I'm gonna take a page out of the book of Ben Affleck in Interstellar and say "Let's science the poo poo out of this!"

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

The Oldest Man posted:

To clarify my original point: climate change (in the sense of globally higher temperatures and destabilized weather) is going to act to limit the upward spiral of CO2 emissions by killing us in large numbers via starvation. "Fixing" that via temperature control methods that don't address CO2 emissions will simply allow that emission spiral to continue longer before collapse and push the global climate system further into CO2 overshoot. A concerted effort at geoengineering that actually works will - at best - buy humans another few decades of party time at the cost of upgrading our upcoming mass extinction from a very mild (pleasant almost) Kačák Event to a refreshingly brisk Permian-Triassic boundary.

sweet, a few decades more is all I need!

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

We should use the ice cold blood of the oligarchs to cool the oceans.

We just have to move it from their bodies and into the ocean. I wonder how we could do that??

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

1glitch0 posted:

Y'all can sit around and doom about how this won't work or that won't work or we can't paint all the trees white and all of that but I'm gonna take a page out of the book of Ben Affleck in Interstellar and say "Let's science the poo poo out of this!"

lmao

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

we have some of the brightest people who have ever lived, alive, right now. I wouldn’t bet against them. im a passionate believer in humanity

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

In New Mexico, temperatures are too high for birds to use their usual coping methods

BRYCE DIX, BYLINE: And this is Bryce Dix in Albuquerque, N.M., where the heat wave has triggered statewide excessive heat warnings. The scorching heat spells trouble for humans, but it's also hurting wildlife, especially bird populations. Normally to keep cool in heat waves like this, birds have a variety of tools at their disposal. Some urinate on their own legs, but the most common is a sort of avian panting. That's where the bird will open its mouth and flutter its neck muscles. But that panting can cause birds to lose water and become dehydrated rapidly. Now, experts say the climate is warming much too fast for birds to adapt.

DIX: That's University of New Mexico biologist Blair Wolf. He's concerned for bird diversity in the Southwest and across the world as global temperatures recently reached the hottest they've ever been in history, causing unprecedented dehydration and loss of food sources.

WOLF: So there's not a lot of good news, and people need to wake up when you have 120 degrees over in Phoenix and 130 in Death Valley.

DIX: Those susceptible birds might include small songbirds like goldfinches, which get dehydrated fast, or birds like the curve-billed thrasher, which only live in the desert and can't move to cooler places. Some, he says, could be wiped out.

DIX: In the meantime, blistering temperatures are expected to loom over the region throughout the next week, potentially breaking heat records in the process.

awful

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Vox Nihili posted:

voting can fix this

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
White paint will fix this.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

have we tried painting the birds?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

transformational change begins with voting. we need to win in 2024 if we want to save these birds. and winning begins with voting

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
I also urinate on my own legs, not to keep cool, but because I am drunk.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

that was going to be my suggestion. let’s do it

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

biceps crimes posted:

transformational change begins with voting. we need to win in 2024 if we want to save these birds. and winning begins with voting

Can't wait to yet again elect another person who thinks we should put off any and all climate action until after they are definitely dead! Woohoo

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

you can post doom and gloom, but I’m gonna be part of the solution y’all

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

The Demilich posted:

We should use the ice cold blood of the oligarchs to cool the oceans.

We just have to move it from their bodies and into the ocean. I wonder how we could do that??

Submersibles apparently work well

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Bird bulb event

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

smoobles posted:

don't lol because it's over,

lmao because it happened

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Birds dying, cloud.

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

biceps crimes posted:

we have some of the brightest people who have ever lived, alive, right now. I wouldn’t bet against them. im a passionate believer in humanity

now consider those outliers paired with revolutionary ai. mankind's desire to to exceed expectations is unlimited.

paint the birds white

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Trabisnikof posted:

many are claiming it as a mitigation technique for climate change. but even if it is "just a low tech solution to make individual buildings more comfortable" it still very well could make the climate worse because of the emissions related to producing, shipping, and disposing of it at end of life.

which is in fact, a downside.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Vox Nihili posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BKFHMr9iDc

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Trabisnikof posted:

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

biceps crimes posted:

you can post doom and gloom, but I’m gonna be part of the solution y’all

vote