Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm trying to finish my Persona 5 Strikers playthrough on PC, and I'm wondering if I'm missing something in the gameplay. I've basically been resorting to just spamming magic the enemies are weak against (+ SP items to do it more) and staying away from enemies. Trying to attack with my actual combos seems like it's usually a risk that doesn't pay-off.

I'd like to engage with systems like the "last-minute dodge counter" stuff, but I can't figure out the timing. Is there some sort of trick to understanding that timing (the parry timing in FF16 comes to mind as something that isn't immediately intuitive but makes sense once you know what you're supposed to do).

In general it seems like you very rarely get opportunities to do any longer combos, since enemies attack too frequently. So I have all these neat skills, but instead I just sorta play this lame version of the original P5 where all I do is cast my buffs/debuffs and magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I don't think I used the full length combo very much, but the shorter one that ends in a "free" (no SP) elemental attack is very good for interrupts. I also spammed dodge in between that and when there's a group of enemies around you, usually at least one of them will trigger the Perfect Dodge lol.... the bosses usually have longer windups on big attacks and it should be easier to time the dodges on that. On the bosses, all that plus timing Showtime attacks to stuff whatever powerful attacks the boss has is the basic gameplan.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://twitter.com/MbKKssTBhz5/status/1680718254334001153

Well that's one way Metaphor's setting itself apart from Persona.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Good

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Death to silent protagonists.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I'll just write something.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Atlus games need less talking not more

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm very excited to watch my main character be actively homophobic without choices

Jk. Vincent from Catherine talks and he's canonically a femboy chaser

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
lol Metaphor

Prowler
May 24, 2004

That picture fascinates me. It looks like a poor cell phone camera picture of a projection that's aimed at a support beam but is being partially blocked by a translucent book.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

metaphor leaks directed by david lynch

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Metaphor, the first video game to be released entirely in the form of a Slender Man video.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
what is that, some kind of allegory?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Thinking about the 'Stupei, Ace Defective' line has got me wonder, what do people consider the most iconic lines across the Persona games.

"Welcome to the Velvet Room" is definitely up there.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Nyx's "The Arcana is the means by which all is revealed."

It's not spoken but "I am thou, thou art I" sticks around too.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ApplesandOranges posted:

Thinking about the 'Stupei, Ace Defective' line has got me wonder, what do people consider the most iconic lines across the Persona games.

"Welcome to the Velvet Room" is definitely up there.

100% seriously: Troy Baker's pronunciation of the word "ruckus" in P4G is forever lodged in my brain. I don't even remember the rest of that line, it's just the word "ruckus."

e: I found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrJXdggXx4k&t=314s

Arist fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 18, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Nyx's "The Arcana is the means by which all is revealed."

It's not spoken but "I am thou, thou art I" sticks around too.

Yukiko does use 'I am thou' when she summons her Persona, though not the full line.

And some of the Personas do state the full line in P5 during the Awakening scene.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
"YOU'RE NOT ME"

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I've been waiting for this!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
"I'm gonna renovate your rear end!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I’m partial to “SO SHUT THE gently caress UP IDIOT”

https://youtu.be/RIZlVX9CLVQ

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I can't have been the only one who opened the log and replayed "that was truly cringeworthy" until it lodged deep in the brain.

Also have a personal fondness for Makoto's text message about nasty crimes.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

It's very basic, but the persona 3 awakening cutscene and the MC's slow way of over enunciating "Persona" and then Orpheus' "I am Orpheus, master of strings." were both Very Good.

Persona 3's entire opening still remains the strongest in the series imo.

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

YaketySass posted:

I like this one too, but I'm most partial to "Adios, rear end in a top hat"

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Aha! Is this our chance?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

KittyEmpress posted:

It's very basic, but the persona 3 awakening cutscene and the MC's slow way of over enunciating "Persona" and then Orpheus' "I am Orpheus, master of strings." were both Very Good.

Persona 3's entire opening still remains the strongest in the series imo.

It's still the default way I read the title persona sometimes

That part definitely stuck with me hard

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yusuke's "I'm poor!" from the card minigame

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

I’m partial to “SO SHUT THE gently caress UP IDIOT”

https://youtu.be/RIZlVX9CLVQ

This is the one.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Just how visceral Makoto says "GUN IT!" during her Awakening.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The place I work at just got an ubereats order from a "Yosuke". :v:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

The place I work at just got an ubereats order from a "Yosuke". :v:

One order of Mystery Food X coming up.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/ScrambledFaz/status/1681993799248105472

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
This is the full video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLWPdAbILbE
I like how the walls in Tartarus move around in the battle backgrounds ,very cool

Prowler posted:

That picture fascinates me. It looks like a poor cell phone camera picture of a projection that's aimed at a support beam but is being partially blocked by a translucent book.

Not sure why I'm replying to this from a while back, but since you were wondering about it:
Pretty sure it's from the video released around the reveal at E3 where the main staff members were being interviewed. They were standing on a stage with random clips of game footage being projected on different layers of transparent curtains around them. I thought it was a really cool effect...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlef1sADpaY
.....and well of course someone would overanalyze all the footage on these curtains and catch stuff like this, I guess.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

YaketySass posted:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's almost jarring how crisp and solid everything in Reload is, as weird as it sounds it almost makes me nostalgic for the old kinda grimy damage numbers.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm still not in love with the overall models even if I've softened on the art style. Like, the environments look good, I do really like the moving backgrounds in Tartarus fights, but the battle animations look kind of... stiff. They're not hitting in the way they probably should.

Also I noticed this from the first trailer way back when, but I don't know why you would remake Persona 3 and give the protagonist a shoulder bag, presumably blocking him from running with his hands in his pockets like a total dweebus.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Arist posted:

I'm still not in love with the overall models even if I've softened on the art style. Like, the environments look good, I do really like the moving backgrounds in Tartarus fights, but the battle animations look kind of... stiff. They're not hitting in the way they probably should.

Also I noticed this from the first trailer way back when, but I don't know why you would remake Persona 3 and give the protagonist a shoulder bag, presumably blocking him from running with his hands in his pockets like a total dweebus.

What if he did the Naruto run like Aigis instead

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

for whatever reason the line that immediately comes to mind is akihiko saying 'beef bowl place'. :shrug:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's weird how little emphasis is put on the evoker usage in that c lip, it's the one thing that I don't like, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's weird how little emphasis is put on the evoker usage in that c lip, it's the one thing that I don't like, I think.

Upon looking at it again, I get what they're going for, they're trying to replicate P5's mask ripping by having the character raise the Evoker to their head when you enter the skill menu. But it's a bad choice, I think, because it means you don't actually get to see the whole animation of the character raising the Evoker to their head and firing. You only see them firing it, and since the camera cuts directly into it, it lacks impact. It's a shame because those Evoker animations had a lot of character.

Also the animation itself just isn't dramatic enough, imo. Needs more oomph.