Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Is there a chance that the deck surface of ships registered in Lichtenstein is bigger than the country?

And speaking of naval stuff, apparently a Russian Su-25 just became either a surface boat or a submarine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://mstdn.social/@noelreports/110729662080858665

"Zelenskyi responded to the onesided termination of the grain agreement by Russia.

"There were two agreements: Ukraine-Türkiye-UN and Russia-Türkiye-UN. Therefore, when Russia says that it is stopping, it breaks its agreements with UN Secretary General Guterres and with President Erdogan. Not with us. We did not have any agreements with them," he said."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Breaking the grain deal is definitely a sign of waxing strength for Russia, I reckon. Yes, this is sarcasm

Orlando Furioso
Nov 7, 2012
Russian fighter jets continue to fall out the sky, another SU-25 nosedived into the Azov Sea

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Orlando Furioso posted:

Russian fighter jets continue to fall out the sky, another SU-25 nosedived into the Azov Sea

Someone get drunk on the hydraulics again?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

RFC2324 posted:

Someone get drunk on the hydraulics again?

Coolant, as I understand. I suspect hydraulic fluid would be more of an emetic... or laxative.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Fearless posted:

Coolant, as I understand. I suspect hydraulic fluid would be more of an emetic... or laxative.

Check: drinking the hydraulic would make them fly faster

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

OddObserver posted:

And speaking of naval stuff, apparently a Russian Su-25 just became either a surface boat or a submarine.

first one, then the other

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Can flag in foreign carriers just to run if they had a plan like that. Operation Earnest Will sets a precedent. They also approved a food aid with US flag cargo preference money so there are MSP vessels that can handle that. Whether we have the manpower for that is another question.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Someone make cool merchant marine tik toks, that will solve the problem.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Someone make cool merchant marine tik toks, that will solve the problem.

If more sailors getting out saw how much they get payed for 1/10th of the active duty bullshit they wouldn’t have a manning issue.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Tell me more tell me more

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Current contract is MARAD standard, $400/day (base+nonwatch), day for day vacation. Gonna write in 4+ hours OT a day at $70/hr and then another 16 hours OT/weekend. I get a defined benefit pension on top plus the company will contribute to a 401a matching like 10% of my base pay. Full medical, dental.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lightpole posted:

Current contract is MARAD standard, $400/day (base+nonwatch), day for day vacation. Gonna write in 4+ hours OT a day at $70/hr and then another 16 hours OT/weekend. I get a defined benefit pension on top plus the company will contribute to a 401a matching like 10% of my base pay. Full medical, dental.

:stare:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

lightpole posted:

And that's how goons took over the merchant marine

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

lightpole posted:

Sure that all SOUNDS great, but do you get to wear bell bottoms?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Workday is 8-5. Drills at 1300 by contract basically. Have my own shitter and shower, fridge in room, tv, by contract. Ill see if I have the effort to take a picture. On a training ship currently so don't doxx me.

Currently sailing as 1st and making sure I piss off every mate and regimental officer the school has on board. Its fun cause everyone tries to check me when I just ignore them and go about my business and then some of the engineering students let them know who I am and they disappear.

Got called for the job when I was on my last ship, took it without any effort. In the meantime I've been called for like 3 other jobs and grabbed a 4th one as a favor to throw back in and let someone else take. All would have been similar pay or more, $1200-1700/day. I set the tone in the department for the most part so I set the level of bullshit. STCW says I can work 14 hours a day and need my rest to come in at least one 6 hour block and another 4ish hours (its a little more complex).

Union contract is very clear and just because you aren't an officer doesn't mean I get to endlessly gently caress with you, there are plenty of privileges they guard zealously and the reefers and electricians can make more than 2nds with their OT, at least in base pay.

Wear what the gently caress you want, safety shoes, trousers. I run Carhart work shirts, short sleeves cause I hat the heat but be ready for steam burns.

At least one person looked at the merchant marine thread we had and went to great lakes and is now sailing MEBA as 1st.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Nessus posted:

And that's how goons took over the merchant marine

Not really, most of us that did it have bailed

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

lightpole posted:

Union contract is very clear and just because you aren't an officer doesn't mean I get to endlessly gently caress with you,

Lost me here

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
ISW has a lengthy section of their daily update dedicated to what seems to be a spate of division/corp combat commanders being relieved or arrested.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-july-16-2023

Not too surprising that the fallout from Wagner's mutiny would be a purge. Putin can't like the idea of competent military commanders who are popular with their troops and critical of 'the plan' which by extension means him.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Vahakyla posted:

Lost me here

He can't endlessly gently caress seamen. . . because of the union. :argh:

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Murgos posted:

ISW has a lengthy section of their daily update dedicated to what seems to be a spate of division/corp combat commanders being relieved or arrested.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-july-16-2023

Not too surprising that the fallout from Wagner's mutiny would be a purge. Putin can't like the idea of competent military commanders who are popular with their troops and critical of 'the plan' which by extension means him.

I wonder how long before we start seeing mass surrenders from grunts who are sick of this poo poo.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Cimber posted:

I wonder how long before we start seeing mass surrenders from grunts who are sick of this poo poo.

Russia's pre-laid their guns on their own lines, and have been using blocking troops since day 1.

I'm hoping for a Russian colour revolution.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

IPCRESS posted:

Russia's pre-laid their guns on their own lines, and have been using blocking troops since day 1.

I'm hoping for a Russian colour revolution.

Rainbow revolution has a nice ring to it.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Vahakyla posted:

Lost me here

If I start trying to step on their dicks they will collectively stomp on mine. Running around treating people like poo poo means you only get poo poo crew as well.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

Blistex posted:

He can't endlessly gently caress seamen. . . because of the union. :argh:

Rum gone in 1914, now this? So much for the naval tradition

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Dopilsya posted:

Lash will be doing triple duty now.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/GlasnostGone/status/1681314678503514118

This seems like a great sign for Russia's ostensibly unlimited manpower.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I suspect it's a way of buying more time to keep from heavily conscripting the inhabitants of Moscow and St. Petersburg.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I don't think this is about the rank and file. They do have a lot of officer slots that need filling, especially now that they're going purgin'.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I didn't know they were doing a Dad's Army reboot.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I don't think this is about the rank and file. They do have a lot of officer slots that need filling, especially now that they're going purgin'.

I suppose it makes sense, 60-year-old officers might actually have hands-on experience with the Soviet relics they're hauling out of storage.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Does Ukraine have a way to fill the grandpa gap?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Next round of Russian recruits

(Some awesome local guy, he tied the arm to a rope so he could make it wave)

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Dopilsya posted:

Actually US Coast Guard regulation is .04 bac. Alcohol on ships is up to company policy. Unfortunately Matson and APL, two of the last holdouts, just updated policy and went to completely dry.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fearless posted:

I suspect it's a way of buying more time to keep from heavily conscripting the inhabitants of Moscow and St. Petersburg.

This, plus I suspect that the 30-40s demographics that's still in Russia are absolutely essential to keep what little industry is left on life support.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i mean you could like, just arrest putin

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1681363364813979648

the russian army is rather occupied atm and their ability to wage a war in the southern tip of africa is, yknow, severely diminished

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

While yes, South Africa is on the verge of collapse itself and the presidential guards alone could probably take the country down.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

the russian army is rather occupied atm and their ability to wage a war in the southern tip of africa is, yknow, severely diminished

They could also like, not invite him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

Serious reply: It would almost certainly go poorly for whatever Russian bribes the ANC is enjoying. That's bound to be their motivation rather than any sort of actual fear of Russian warships.

Non-serious reply: I would love to see Russia, after how badly they hosed up a land invasion of a neighbouring country, try an amphibious invasion of a country a good half of the way around the globe.