Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The big Celestial that appeared on Earth was beaten by the Guardians using the power of Gloria Estefan's "Conga" in the canon experience, Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind.

I helped.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Iron fist was amazing, I never wanted to give a wedgie to a super hero before.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The drunken master fight was actually great and made it seem like they accidentally edited it a fight scene from a different show.

I actually really liked the performances for the Meachums. David Wenham has a great voice and his wild monologues abusing his assistant/Ward were amazing.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jessica Henwick ruled and the second season is much better because they rightfully decided Colleen was much better to follow.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They also acknowledged that Finn Jones was rushed into the role and not really able to carry the fighting side of it. That doesn’t particularly bother me because I’m not a movie fighting connoisseur but obviously part of the problem was the show drew a lot of people who very understandably wanted a martial arts action show and Finn and the Meachums clearly weren’t it. Jessica Henwick was much better equipped for that and they definitely adjusted towards her for S2 as well as the Misty/Luke Heroes for Hire/Daughters of the Dragon stuff.

I still really enjoy that in a field of cocky arrogant great men and perfect godly Ubermen Finn Jones’ Danny Rand is just a well meaning but insecure goober who is probably not the best man for the job. But I went in with no expectations for Danny, Iron Fist, or the show.

I also really enjoy the dynamic in Defenders where Danny is the faithful soldier Stick always wanted Matt to be but Matt is the fierce warrior Danny has failed the Iron Fist to be. Also that he annoys the poo poo out of Jessica Jones. Also that Luke can’t help but respond to his sincerity even if he wants to roll his eyes at him. I like so much of the character stuff in Defenders. Just shame about the story.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 18, 2023

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

bringing up Iron Fist just reminded me that I never watched season 3 of Jessica Jones or season 2 of The Punisher, lol

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Bring back iron wing and Danny the magic cowboy

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I unironically want Danny and Colleen to be in Shang Chi 2.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

bringing up Iron Fist just reminded me that I never watched season 3 of Jessica Jones or season 2 of The Punisher, lol

Season 2 of Punisher is very good. Season 3 of JJ is pretty decent and takes some interesting swings, but it is noticeably worse than season 1.

Both are worth watching, but especially Punisher.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I stopped at like episode 6 of Iron Fist and never looked back. It was a slog just to get to that point. I guess that means it held my attention longer than Agents of SHIELD, which I made it 4 episode into

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I couldn’t suspend my disbelief enough with punisher that his brain wouldn’t have been custard long before he ever got to Daredevil.
Also he was too short.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I couldn’t suspend my disbelief enough with punisher that his brain wouldn’t have been custard long before he ever got to Daredevil.
Also he was too short.

He's 6 feet tall.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He's 6 feet tall.

He’s 6 feet tall in smurf inches.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I forgot there was a Jessica Jones season 3. I always wished her stuff would focus more on the average oddball cases she could get than whatever the overarching plot was but I guess they didn't have the episode count for it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bernthal’s Punisher actually shocks me how much I accept him considering how distasteful I find the Punisher to be. They walk the line between deranged psycho, traumatized brain mush, and conspiracy victim well.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I liked Punisher season 2 well enough, but it felt like a lot of it was retreading ground covered by season 1 and then both storylines kind of petered out in the last episode.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Punisher is great throughout but I haven't seen JJ season 3 either.

I did like Eternals, though it's definitely got its flaws. I think the biggest problem is it was probably the worst offended for setting stuff up that we won't see again for possibly over a decade. Kit Harrington is going to be in his 60s before Black Knight is on screen, it just very much felt like a kitchen sink movie

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Opopanax posted:

I did like Eternals, though it's definitely got its flaws. I think the biggest problem is it was probably the worst offended for setting stuff up that we won't see again for possibly over a decade. Kit Harrington is going to be in his 60s before Black Knight is on screen, it just very much felt like a kitchen sink movie

And also they could have cut, what, a third of the cast and it just would have trimmed the movie down?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Punisher Season 2 is great because the psychopathic murderer hero now has a kid sidekick and is fighting an evil baptist who is loving brutal.

Punisher Season 2 is bad because everything they did with Billy Russo.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Dawgstar posted:

I forgot there was a Jessica Jones season 3. I always wished her stuff would focus more on the average oddball cases she could get than whatever the overarching plot was but I guess they didn't have the episode count for it.
IIRC Jessica Jones Season 3 came out like the same day or week that we got word that the whole Netflix Marvel universe was done

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

This is probably #7,148 on the "weird things about The Flash" list, but do they actually kill one of the Kryptonians from Man of Steel with a small explosive?

https://twitter.com/SteelSandRun/status/1681595145190535168

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

This is probably #7,148 on the "weird things about The Flash" list, but do they actually kill one of the Kryptonians from Man of Steel with a small explosive?

I suppose it's possible since they weren't completely invulnerable yet due to not being exposed to the yellow sun that long. That's one reason Superman can fight them off, since he's been there longer, it's made him more powerful

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Superman had the raw power but they had the technique, tactics, and numbers so it was basically a race against the clock to defeat them before they developed unbreakable necks.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Codependent Poster posted:

I suppose it's possible since they weren't completely invulnerable yet due to not being exposed to the yellow sun that long. That's one reason Superman can fight them off, since he's been there longer, it's made him more powerful

In MoS, don't they have effective Super Strength and durability before they ever take their suits off?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

In MoS, don't they have effective Super Strength and durability before they ever take their suits off?

Yeah but it's not fully developed like Superman. So it's possible that they could be killed by something like that.

Like Lobok said, Superman only had a chance due to his power. The longer the others were exposed to the sun, the stronger they got. Like when Zod got the power of flight and heat vision. The others couldn't fly, they just could jump very high.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 19, 2023

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I have to admit what I saw of the Supergirl vs. Zod fight satisfied my anime/videogame battle urges and Supergirl looks really cool.

Which is lol given the story and how they rewrote the ending.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

It's cute that this Twitter user thinks there any chance Andy Muschietti is still going to be directing any film for DC after The Flash.

I know he was announced for the new Batman but I assume it's just a respectful amount of time before they announce he's "stepping down".

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah but it's not fully developed like Superman. So it's possible that they could be killed by something like that.

Like Lobok said, Superman only had a chance due to his power. The longer the others were exposed to the sun, the stronger they got. Like when Zod got the power of flight and heat vision. The others couldn't fly, they just could jump very high.

Right, but it just seems weird that they could take a bullet or punches from Superman right after they got off the ship in MoS, but a small explosive is enough to instantly kill them.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

PriorMarcus posted:

It's cute that this Twitter user thinks there any chance Andy Muschietti is still going to be directing any film for DC after The Flash.

I know he was announced for the new Batman but I assume it's just a respectful amount of time before they announce he's "stepping down".

For all Flash's problems, none of them really sound like his fault

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Right, but it just seems weird that they could take a bullet or punches from Superman right after they got off the ship in MoS, but a small explosive is enough to instantly kill them.

Eh, I'm willing to suspend some disbelief for that since it's Batman and he probably knew exactly where to plant it and how much was needed to kill some near invulnerable alien. Batman always gets the buffs and critical rolls

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

If we're being generous and hand wavey we can say Bats used a shaped charge here. The explosion we see on the head was just the visible propellant signature for the payload of fifty BB sized titanium slivers rattling currently the Kryptonian's brain into scrambled eggs.

At certain ranges, a .22 has enough juice to punch its way into a skull, but not back out, so it bounces around inside doing nasty poo poo.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Doesn't Supergirl fly in the trailer though even though she was kept away from sunlight? Not sure if there's an explanation I haven't seen it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The drunken master fight was actually great and made it seem like they accidentally edited it a fight scene from a different show.

I actually really liked the performances for the Meachums. David Wenham has a great voice and his wild monologues abusing his assistant/Ward were amazing.

Lewis Tan is great I'm everything I've seen him in. Even Mortal Kombat.

He has said in interviews that he was in the final round for Danny, but word came from on high that they wanted 'someone that looked closer to the comics'.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

X-O posted:

Doesn't Supergirl fly in the trailer though even though she was kept away from sunlight? Not sure if there's an explanation I haven't seen it.

After spending her whole life (or whole adult life) in captivity and looking emaciated, it takes about 5 seconds of direct sunlight to let her fly and then beat up about 20-30 Russian soldiers but then she collapses with exhaustion.

"How long does it take a Kryptonian to charge off the sun" is basically "how long is the gestation period for a xenomorph", it's whatever the story calls for.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

I'm sorry, but there is nothing any of you can say to convince me that, prior to this announcement, if I had asked you to write a list of 20 things you associated with Guy Gardner, the word "Superman" would appear anywhere on that list.

And before anyone chimes in with "yeah but 'Justice League' would've", this isn't a Justice League movie and it shouldn't be a Justice League movie, jumping right to doing the goddamn Justice League without taking the time to set everyone up first is exactly how they hosed it up the first time.

This is pages and pages back but the only thing I know about Guy Gardner was him showing up in the Death of Superman TPB that I read a lot as a kid.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYHovwhDizs lol? Why does his tooth fall out and why did they choose that as their one use of gently caress?

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 19, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Apparently, there is supposed to be a surprise (surprise ruined, I guess) extended trailer for The Marvels releasing today or tomorrow.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Hollywood reporter also confirms the rumors that Aquaman has been through multiple massive rewrites and reshoots and is still currently being re-shot and re-edited.

They also say that after several different versions that had abysmal test screenings that the latest one is finally starting to test much better than previous versions. "Much better" doesn't necessarily mean good, though.

Aquaman is also going to be insanely expensive, so it will need a huge box office to break even. The movie originally had a $205 million budget (before accounting for advertising), but the delays, reshoots, and pandemic have increased the estimated costs to nearly $300 million. If they follow the trend of 50% of the budget for advertising and press, then that would be close to $450 million - Even more expensive than the ~$330 million for The Flash.

Good on WB/D for being willing to put the time and money behind the money, I guess. But, this is going to need to do better than the original's $1 billion box office to actually make them any real money.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1681724189177200651

quote:

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom is in uncharted waters, with the next several weeks potentially setting its course, for ill or good.

The sequel to Warner Bros.’ 2018 DC movie is coming off a round of reshoots that occurred in New Zealand in mid-June and involved stars including Jason Momoa and Patrick Wilson, according to multiple sources.

This is the third round of reshoots for the movie, directed by James Wan. That is almost an unprecedented number, even for a movie of this scale.

quote:

Lost Kingdom has faced several headwinds as it swims towards a Dec. 20 release date. It was postponed several times (it originally was due to bow in December 2022), and like its DC movie brother, The Flash, its making has now spanned three regimes at Warners.

The movie was greenlit under the Warners regime led by former film boss Toby Emmerich and his lieutenant, DC Films head Walter Hamada, as a sequel to Aquaman, which proved to be a surprise hit and stands as the highest-grossing DC movie of all time with $1.148 billion.

quote:

Principal photography wrapped in January 2022, but by summer, Emmerich was out (Hamada soon followed), both casualties of the merger that created Warner Bros. Discovery.

The movie was in the middle of post-production and beginning test screenings that summer. While a timeline is not clear, from summer 2022 to the beginning of 2023, The Lost Kingdom underwent two rounds of reshoots and held several uninspiring test screenings.

After one round of test screenings, new Warners film bosses Michael De Luca and Pamela Abdy got involved, as they were running point on DC until Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav could find a permanent DC boss to replace Hamada. Sources say that in the fall, Abdy took a strong creative stance and got involved in the editing of one cut. However, when that version tested, it scored lower than the previous version. That led to another round of reshoots.

Different visions of executives notwithstanding, it is unclear what the problems were, but one insider said the underlying issue of story clarity has been an ongoing concern.

quote:

Also at issue: Batman.

Hamada wanted Michael Keaton’s version of the character to be akin to Samuel L. Jackson’s Nick Fury in the Marvel movies — an elder statesman who could pop up in various films, including the now-shelved Batgirl, as well as The Lost Kingdom. But shifting release dates muddled things. At one point, The Lost Kingdom was set to open in March 2023, several months before Keaton’s return in June 2023’s The Flash. So in late July 2022, two months after Abdy and DeLuca took over Warners, Ben Affleck joined a round of reshoots as Bruce Wayne, to replace a scene Keaton shot. But then the movie was moved again, this time to after Flash, putting Affleck’s appearance in question. The latest cut of the film features neither version of the Dark Knight, according to sources, as new DC heads James Gunn and Peter Safran do not want to promise a movie universe that will not come to fruition nor tie it down excessively to past failures. “It was pretty chaotic,” said one source.

(And some of the chaos may not have been the studio’s or filmmakers’ fault. Some of the calendar moves were due to overloaded visual effects houses, a phenomenon that occurred during the pandemic and that affected both Flash and Lost Kingdom, causing a cascade of release date pushes.)

More test screenings of cuts occurred in February, and again in April. By this time, Safran, a producer on the first Aquaman as well as The Lost Kingdom, had become co-head of the newly-created DC Studios, along with Gunn.

quote:

It is unclear how Safran’s transition shifted the movie’s fortunes, if at all. Insiders say that the filmmakers were in the dumps by the seemingly never-ending post-production process and water-logged test scores. However, the skies may have cleared with the new reshoots.

Gunn is said to have weighed in on the most recent cut and the leadership approved a five-day shoot. Sources say the shoot went so well that Wan and company completed what they needed in only four.

And to some, the fact that Warners is willing to keep spending money to make the film better shows that the studio has faith in The Lost Kingdom. (In February, according to sources, the filmmakers of Blue Beetle, the other remaining DC movie that was made during the AT&T era and comes out in August, asked for two days of additional shooting but the studio turned them down. Safran had also been a producer on Beetle before his ascension to the executive ranks.)

quote:

Lost Kingdom is already an expensive production. It was greenlit at a $205 million budget and shot during the pandemic, which was a burdensome expense on tentpole productions. Additionally, every frame of the movie involves visual effects, another major cost. The reshoots have only raised that overall budget.

Lost Kingdom is the final movie of the DC Extended Universe, which launched a decade ago with Zack Snyder’s Man of Steel. It’s December release date approaches as Warners’ DC movies are flopping at an unmatched level. October’s Black Adam, March’s Shazam! Fury of the Gods (also produced by Safran) and last month’s The Flash were money losers in their theatrical runs. Though Gunn and Safran plan on rebooting DC films with Superman: Legacy, that title won’t be out until July 2025. No one wants another miss and there are questions as to how much bruising the DC movie brand can take.

The filmmakers and studio knows the value that smart post-production can bring. The first Aquaman was also facing turbulent waves and is said to have found its footing only in post, when a new ending was burnished and the movie tightened to a zipper two hours and twenty-three minutes.

As for Wan, he was upbeat when he spoke to THR in April as he continued to work on the film: “This movie has something to talk about [climate change], but it’s still a fun action-fantasy movie.”

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Apparently, there is supposed to be a surprise (surprise ruined, I guess) extended trailer for The Marvels releasing today or tomorrow.

There's enough promo shots of the cast out there suggesting it must be soon.

If the JSA from Death of Superman shows up in Gunn's superman, I'll be worried.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Lol. Lmao.
Excited for this to be another Morbius.

e: wait, has the Flash officially out-morbed Morbius?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Sockser posted:

Lol. Lmao.
Excited for this to be another Morbius.

e: wait, has the Flash officially out-morbed Morbius?

Morbius only had a $75 million (official production/not including advertising) budget.

The Flash lost a lot more money, even though it made more at the box office than Morbius.