Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Kill Six Billion Demons

Alt: "A man who holds fear in his heart will never be safe, no matter how strong he makes himself. No matter how iron hard he makes his defenses, if left untouched his fear will spring forth and devour him from the inside at a moment's notice." - Au Vam

quote:

Fallen

Alt: Solomon's No Good Very Bad Absolutely Awful Day

quote:

Feet of Clay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Getting some major stardust the super wizard vibes from the goofy service jerks punishment.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Goofy Stardust Jerks

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The page just began and I'm already overwhelmed :stwoon:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

carrionman posted:

Getting some major I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream vibes from the goofy service jerks punishment.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Night Visitors

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

lmao

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

my next comic is gonna be the weirdest one so far, and i'm restraining myself from going all in on it out of politeness but it's an iconic scene and it was gonna come up eventually. it's not over the line it's just that unhinged jojo weirdness on full display. (dont know when it will be done but gonna try and finish by tomorrow night. feeling quite sluggish today so i might just do paneling and scratch out a rough draft for now then finish tomorrow)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Extra Ordinary

DON'T BE LIKE THIS

I SAID DON'T BE LIKE THIS, GODDAMN

so incredible, much edible

SOME DAY, BIG DEAL

EXCUSE ME, I BELIEVE I SAID

Gavel man, banging out his gav up here alone

THIS IS THE SPOT

THIS IS A TECHNIQUE THAT I HAVE PERFECTED OVER SEVERAL YEARS

I have a sword and I know things

Very shouty alt texts in this batch

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Getting some major I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream vibes from the goofy service jerks punishment.

Yeah, it's pretty tough, isn't it? Was anyone else expecting something a little more... Restorative? Less retributive? Seems a little harsh when compared to the rest of the setting so far.

Tenebrais posted:

Modern Dennis has moved on from bullying vaguely gay-coded "softies" to tormenting unrepentant Tories, so he is good and cool now.

Ah, good. This pleases me. Not the other thing though, that's a shame.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

my next comic is gonna be the weirdest one so far, and i'm restraining myself from going all in on it out of politeness but it's an iconic scene and it was gonna come up eventually. it's not over the line it's just that unhinged jojo weirdness on full display. (dont know when it will be done but gonna try and finish by tomorrow night. feeling quite sluggish today so i might just do paneling and scratch out a rough draft for now then finish tomorrow)

I can't wait to see which of the countless weird things you'll pull from this time

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

this will be the fourth (i guess fifth if you include "awaken my guildies") of my so far planned- THIRTY THREE?! oh man i better get drawing lol.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Giant Ethicist posted:

Night Visitors

Too drat good

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I really hope someday I can buy a physical collection of translated Q-rais comics.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Night Visitors

What exactly is going on in the first panel here?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

What exactly is going on in the first panel here?

he's pressing a bellybutton

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

This is an exceptional page in an exceptional thread

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I wanted to reply to the especially good stuff, but I ended up quoting every post, so instead of that, have five more Green's Birds.

Kangaroos are not rare, at all, but it's interesting how timid these deep-forest roos are. It's kind of spooky- you'll hear the snap of a twigs underfoot, a hollow THUD-THUD-THUD sound, and see a flash of grey. And that will be it.
The ibis is commonly known as the bin chicken, because they've adapted beautifully to city life by eating the most vile garbage imaginable. They've wound up being kind of the spirit animal or mascot of young people from cities, owing to their cheerful adaptability in an uncaring urban landscape and a certain elegance. (Threskiornis means "worshipped bird" if you want a measure how far the ibis' stock has fallen over the centuries.)

Tree Bucket has a new favorite as of 00:05 on Jul 19, 2023

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

oh hey now i know the name of those spotted spotties im always seein

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Spacetrawler

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

The ibis is commonly known as the bin chicken, because they've adapted beautifully to city life by eating the most vile garbage imaginable. They've wound up being kind of the spirit animal or mascot of young people from cities, owing to their cheerful adaptability in an uncaring urban landscape and a certain elegance. (Threskiornis means "worshipped bird" if you want a measure how far the ibis' stock has fallen over the centuries.)
Man, your raccoons are a lot more handsome than ours. I'm glad the young embrace them, as they should.
Your ravens are definitely creepier though - the li'l white-ringed eyeballs can't make seeing them chilling at the nursing home any more comfortable. Just out of curiosity, anyone local in particular you based the nonavian theropod on?
(the unironic completely best thing about modern taxonomy is i can't say 'the strip with the dinosaur in it' without including all five of the ones you just posted)

Drakyn has a new favorite as of 01:07 on Jul 19, 2023

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

I wanted to reply to the especially good stuff, but I ended up quoting every post, so instead of that, have five more Green's Birds.

Kangaroos are not rare, at all, but it's interesting how timid these deep-forest roos are. It's kind of spooky- you'll hear the snap of a twigs underfoot, a hollow THUD-THUD-THUD sound, and see a flash of grey. And that will be it.

yes YES i can FEEL my brain SWELLING with bird factz

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

yes YES i can FEEL my brain SWELLING with bird factz

The best bird fact of all is to hold your hand out in front of you, palm up, and picture a pardalote nestled comfortably there. They really are tiny. I mean it's less of a fact and more of a daydream but

Drakyn posted:

Man, your raccoons are a lot more handsome than ours. I'm glad the young embrace them, as they should.
Your ravens are definitely creepier though - the li'l white-ringed eyeballs can't make seeing them chilling at the nursing home any more comfortable. Just out of curiosity, anyone local in particular you based the nonavian theropod on?
(the unironic completely best thing about modern taxonomy is i can't say 'the strip with the dinosaur in it' without including all five of the ones you just posted)

...huh, that's a really good point re: raccoons. A lot of the ecological niches occupied by mammals elsewhere are occupied by birds here. I guess the mobility is a plus in a continent with more unpredictable weather? Another side of this, which comes as a real surprise to science nerd australians travelling overseas, is that often our birds are small. Our ravens, [black] swans and parrots are 2/3 to 1/2 the size of those elsewhere. Emus are big, but not as big as ostriches!
Blame the nutrient-poor soil, I guess.
And yeah the nonavian theropod is, vaguely, an allosaur, which is broadly accurate give or take a hundred million years. Basically an excuse to justify drawing ferocious dinosaurs in my peaceful fat birb comic.

Tree Bucket has a new favorite as of 01:37 on Jul 19, 2023

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I was too busy to praise this post when it happened so I'm pulling it forward to this page to join its friends. This was a really good read. All the bird info has been.

Tree Bucket posted:

Just good timing, but most inland Australian birds seem to enjoy rain anyway!
Speaking of birb facts, this one photo is really... educational? So the WEH is perching on a eucalyptus branch to drink some nectar from the tree's flowers. There are dozens of species of honeyeater here and they mostly live off nectar. They're like hummingbirds, but much bigger and much angrier. They're really successful because, well, we missed out on the last lot of glaciers...
The continent is old, and was too flat & equatorial to get ripped up by the previous era of glaciation. So a lot of our soil is terrible. By European standards, the soil in my ironbark forest would probably be classified as gravel. On top of that, the weather is really unpredictable. But generally dry. As a result... see the leaves in this photo? They're thin, poisonous, and have a reflective waxy layer to deal with excess sunlight. Our inland plants are optimised around retaining water, with gathering sunlight a distant second priority. These plants are never short on energy, though, and so have wound up producing huge amounts of nectar to attract pollinating birds and mammals (who will also hopefully have a shot at any pesky bugs in the vicinity.) Nectar is practically the base of the food chain here. This is why there are so many species of honeyeater, and why the more shouty ones have prospered with the arrival of humans- who, for some reason, seem to enjoy surrounding their houses with a lot flowering plants...
Meanwhile, a few of the people I've taken to see the ironbark forest have remarked that it feels creepy, or haunted, or even has serial killer vibes. Ouch. But it's an environment where small plants grow in the shade of the bigger plants, because too much sunlight would kill them. Like it's the opposite of how our instincts say a forest should work. It's a genuinely weird place.
That's a lot of words. Hope that's okay!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Kit Walker posted:

Hell yeah

:hmmyes:

Kill Six Billion Demons
cw: gore

Alt: Running out of demiurges, might go to the shop to pick up a few

e: the "crimson eyed god" here might be a reference to the story of Aesma and the Red Eyed King from way back when. At least Jagganoth seems a lot more cunning than the Red Eyed King, who was powerful but little more than an opportunist. It took Aesma lifting the entirety of creation and threatening to beat the Red Eyed King over the head with it to get him to yield, but hopefully Allison won't have to go that far

Welp, Mottom died in a ballsy way

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

The best bird fact of all is to hold your hand out in front of you, palm up, and picture a pardalote nestled comfortably there. They really are tiny. I mean it's less of a fact and more of a daydream but
'Round here we've got chickadees for that, though I think they're a little bigger and much ballsier when tempted by seeds.

Tree Bucket posted:

...huh, that's a really good point re: raccoons. A lot of the ecological niches occupied by mammals elsewhere are occupied by birds here. I guess the mobility is a plus in a continent with more unpredictable weather? Another side of this, which comes as a real surprise to science nerd australians travelling overseas, is that often our birds are small. Our ravens, [black] swans and parrots are 2/3 to 1/2 the size of those elsewhere. Emus are big, but not as big as ostriches!
And yeah the nonavian theropod is, vaguely, an allosaur, which is broadly accurate give or take a hundred million years. Basically an excuse to justify drawing ferocious dinosaurs in my peaceful fat birb comic.
Vaguely an allosaur is always an appropriate choice. And I don't know, maybe your regional variants a bit smaller than they are elsewhere, but within their scope I figure you've got plenty to be proud of even if all you care about is size - sure, I'm in Canada and within the range of the big-as-heck common raven, but absolutely no bird in north america can come close to an emu. Your local bigass impressive bird falling short of an ostritch in birdmass is no great shame.
And frankly, as long as you've got cassowaries, you've already won. What you've won I don't dare think, but you've won it.

ps exactly how good are ibises, comparatively, in getting into garbage bins? I think raccoons have more or less won their war with us insofar as we just accept they're gonna get in and we can only slow them down a little with greatly diminishing returns on effort exerted in bin design.

Drakyn has a new favorite as of 02:04 on Jul 19, 2023

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Drakyn posted:

'Round here we've got chickadees for that, though I think they're a little bigger and much ballsier when tempted by seeds.

so beautiful

Drakyn posted:

ps exactly how good are ibises, comparatively, in getting into garbage bins? I think raccoons have more or less won their war with us insofar as we just accept they're gonna get in and we can only slow them down a little with greatly diminishing returns on effort exerted in bin design.

Ibis can't get into bins; they simply stick their beaks into whatever gap they can find and drink gratefully of the nectar thereof.
Sulphur-crested cockatoos, though, have learnt to open bins and are careful to pass this knowledge onto their offspring. Often just to spread rubbish all over the road. They combine this with their other fun hobbies like kicking plants off balconies, ripping pigeon spikes off buildings, taking exactly one small bite from each piece of fruit on a tree, getting drunk off grain from silos, and yelling BLAAAAAAGGHH at people. Youtube's full of this stuff.
Cockies are essentially four-year-olds with wings, a concrete saw for a voice and boltcutters for a face. My great-grandma had one for a pet, which outlived her and hung around the house like a particularly noisy & vengeful boggart.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The Adventures of Dr. McNinja - Issue #5: "Revenge of the Hundred Dead Ninja"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

gently caress yeah Judy

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

All good, but I like this one the best. Solid laugh, and increased my knowledge of Australian ibises by infinity%.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kit Walker posted:

Alt: Solomon's No Good Very Bad Absolutely Awful Day

this would hit harder if their new 'horrible' existence isn't like, the normal status quo literally everywhere else in k6bdworld #firstworldproblems

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Tree Bucket posted:

Possibly related - New Zealand actually had no mammals except some bats before European contact, the native ecosystem was almost entirely bird based. The apex predator, for example, was Haast's eagle, a drat big bird and no mistake. They went extinct after humans killed all the moa, which were their primary prey.

Anyway, bird based ecology hi5.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Emzedoh posted:

Possibly related - New Zealand actually had no mammals except some bats before European contact, the native ecosystem was almost entirely bird based. The apex predator, for example, was Haast's eagle, a drat big bird and no mistake. They went extinct after humans killed all the moa, which were their primary prey.

Anyway, bird based ecology hi5.

They ate moa!?
That's horrifying.
What's that NZ turbo-parrot again? The little green guys that strip cars down to the metal shell if left unattended?

Tree Bucket has a new favorite as of 02:37 on Jul 19, 2023

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

Ibis can't get into bins; they simply stick their beaks into whatever gap they can find and drink gratefully of the nectar thereof.
Sulphur-crested cockatoos, though, have learnt to open bins and are careful to pass this knowledge onto their offspring. Often just to spread rubbish all over the road. They combine this with their other fun hobbies like kicking plants off balconies, ripping pigeon spikes off buildings, taking exactly one small bite from each piece of fruit on a tree, getting drunk off grain from silos, and yelling BLAAAAAAGGHH at people. Youtube's full of this stuff.
Cockies are essentially four-year-olds with wings, a concrete saw for a voice and boltcutters for a face. My great-grandma had one for a pet, which outlived her and hung around the house like a particularly noisy & vengeful boggart.
god nature is wonderful

Tree Bucket posted:

They ate moa!?
That's horrifying.
What's that NZ turbo-parrot again? The little green guys that strip cars down to the metal shell if left unattended?
Allegedly there are enough Maori stories about giant birds murdering people that the likelihood of Haast's eagle mistaking humans for funny-looking moa now and then can't not NOT be declared zero.
And I think the compulsively destructive nz parrot is the kea.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

NZ has adorable fluffy possums... who are highly invasive and were introduced for the fur trade, so the government is encouraging hunting them to extermination and selling their fur as part of luxury products

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Tree Bucket posted:

so beautiful

I so want to find someone going on vacation to Australia so I can recommend them to ask for the unique gourmet dish known as Bin Chicken by name.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
K6BD is kind of losing me now, This scene feels like it's taking forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I think K6BD would have benefitted from a quick break and a scene change between the tournament fighting and Jagganoth showing up. The fact that the next chapter opens with more fighting in the exact same location as the fights that composed the back half of the previous chapter, feels a little draining. Something to break up the pacing would have been nice, though it's understandable if Abaddon needed to not add even more scenes to a webcomic that he intends to finish one day. (And no, the fact that the arena quickly became a featureless void at the beginning of this chapter doesn't count as a scene change, though lifting it into space and then falling off of it does.)