Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

Well, we got the title for the next leg of the Boruto series

Thanks, I hate it. Though I guess this means we’re going to be jumping straight into a timeskip when the manga comes back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Someone's a fan of Bayonetta.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I see the Boruto artist hasn't stopped being *real loving weird* about Sarada. Cool, cool.

It's so loving weird. Like it's not even skeevy in the same way other manga often are, but instead in this weird "American child beauty pageant" sort of way. Like the intent is to give an "adult" appearance to a child.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
The Minato oneshot was pretty good,incredible what art Kishimoto can do when he's not doing a weekly series. The facial expressions were expecially nice.

But the most surprising part to me was that the romance parts were really well done, in stark contrast to all the ones in Naruto.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well with any luck maybe post timeskip Sarada will look better in the anime (whenever they decide to bring that back) much like how the original did

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Scallop Eyes posted:

The Minato oneshot was pretty good,incredible what art Kishimoto can do when he's not doing a weekly series. The facial expressions were expecially nice.

But the most surprising part to me was that the romance parts were really well done, in stark contrast to all the ones in Naruto.

The big difference IMO is that he was writing a romance that he already knew came to fruition, vs trying to keep all the options open because romantic subplots are a shonen staple and shipping wars keep the fandom alive and kicking.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Scallop Eyes posted:

I still respect Naruto for having the character's initial love interest not reciprocate and end up with someone else, just because of how unusual that is. And then he ends up with a supporting cast member.

The actual details of the relationships suck, but also don't receive much focus (except for Sakura/Sasuke I guess).

At least the Sasuke miniseries went a long way towards improving my impression of the Sasuke/Sakura marriage.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

At least the Sasuke miniseries went a long way towards improving my impression of the Sasuke/Sakura marriage.

It finally felt like the relationship that Sakura had built up in her head all these years.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

It's the same argument, that Kishimoto couldn't write romance, as that he couldn't write strong female characters: I'm sure the man actually could, given the chance, but he's restrained by the tropes and conventions of the Shonen genre. Shueisha is very particular about the audience Shonen Jump serves, that being Japanese boys ages 9-16, and dictates that female characters remain white mages/damsels in distress/romance interests to be awarded as prizes to the protagonist.

Kishimoto taking the fall for editorial decisions from the top is such a very Japanese thing to do, as opposed to the American thing of throwing your editor under a bus as soon as it's convenient, whether you need to or not.

E. And just to be clear, I don't believe it's entirely a case of his editor twisting his arm to make him delete strong female characters or romance - Kishimoto knows what genre he's writing. But just like Tsunade or Chiyo demonstrates he can write complex, compelling female characters who aren't strictly an appendage to a male character, Sasuke Retsuden and the Minato oneshot demonstrates he has actual romantic chops, when he chooses to. They just both tend to be downplayed in the Shonen genre.

A seinen remake of Naruto would be something to witness.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jul 20, 2023

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Eeeeh, I mean, while the genre as a whole is bad, there are absolutely other series who handled female characters better than Naruto does. Like people make fun of My Hero Academia, and rightfully so, but it just had an important story moment go between a female co-star comparable to Sakura in importance and a female villain. When was the last time Naruto had a female villain that wasn't treated as a joke? How many moments of importance did Sakura have in the whole series?

I'm re-reading Naruto at the moment, I'm deep into the war arc, and let me tell you, it's *wild* how in some stretches of it, SAI gets to do more stuff than Sakura. There's more Hinata in there, but she's still just emotional support, in spite of the fact that by this point she has proven she's a very competent shinobi.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Sakura is a whole mess by herself. I think there's a whopping lot of editorial meddling there - Shueisha wanted Naruto-Sasuke-Kakashi as the protagonist/deuteragonist/tritagonist, and not Sakura as a female lead wouldn't fly well with the younger side of the intended audience. But also, some of it is Kishimoto giving up on making her complex when she didn't test well with audiences, some of it is Studio Pierrot not doing her justice (she's much better in the manga), some of it was Kishimoto trying to write her as a normal person, and that making her seem "useless" next to monsters and gods, and maybe even a bunch of faulty cultural expectations, where she seems a poorly written character to a western audience, as opposed to a worldwide poll where she was popular enough to come in third overall.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Eeeeh, I mean, while the genre as a whole is bad, there are absolutely other series who handled female characters better than Naruto does. Like people make fun of My Hero Academia, and rightfully so, but it just had an important story moment go between a female co-star comparable to Sakura in importance and a female villain. When was the last time Naruto had a female villain that wasn't treated as a joke? How many moments of importance did Sakura have in the whole series?

I'm re-reading Naruto at the moment, I'm deep into the war arc, and let me tell you, it's *wild* how in some stretches of it, SAI gets to do more stuff than Sakura. There's more Hinata in there, but she's still just emotional support, in spite of the fact that by this point she has proven she's a very competent shinobi.

I think what MHA is doing is, in some ways, even worse, because it's just doing the trope where a female villain needs to be paired with a female hero.

At least Sakura and Chiyo fight a high-tier male opponent. The ending just runs into major problems due to the handful of top-tier characters all being men (I guess ignoring Kaguya, who doesn't really count).

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Konan almost solo'd Madara.

Sakura helped defeat Kaguya.

The thing about Naruto is that like every one besides, Naruto, Sasuke, Kakashi kinda fall by the wayside, and then old Hokages show up to completely outclass anyone in the cast besides those 3.

Even Shikamaru(who was p much a second main protagonist for most of part 2)falls off in importance when we get to that stage.

It's less a statement on women and just more Kishimoto's power inflation of Naruto, Sasuke and Kakashi making them the only ones capable of fighting at that level. Where you either need to be an old Hokage, a tailed beast or have special eyes to be effective.

Sai gets to do more stuff because he was being framed as antagonistic to Naruto's goals during early part 2, and then when he is friendship no jutsu'd he falls right into Sakura and everyone else's who's not named Kakashi or Shikamaru role of background funny character in cool down chapters, and friend of Naruto.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Dexo posted:

Konan almost solo'd Madara.

Sakura helped defeat Kaguya.

The thing about Naruto is that like every one besides, Naruto, Sasuke, Kakashi kinda fall by the wayside, and then old Hokages show up to completely outclass anyone in the cast besides those 3.

Even Shikamaru(who was p much a second main protagonist for most of part 2)falls off in importance when we get to that stage.

It's less a statement on women and just more Kishimoto's power inflation of Naruto, Sasuke and Kakashi making them the only ones capable of fighting at that level. Where you either need to be an old Hokage, a tailed beast or have special eyes to be effective.

Sai gets to do more stuff because he was being framed as antagonistic to Naruto's goals during early part 2, and then when he is friendship no jutsu'd he falls right into Sakura and everyone else's who's not named Kakashi or Shikamaru role of background funny character in cool down chapters, and friend of Naruto.

I mean IMHO: Konan almost solo'ing Tobi is similar to a somewhat recent fight in Jujutsu Kaisen where the main villain survived an impossible to survive scenario to establish how badass he is. An additional role the fight had in the story seemed to me, at that point, to just establish that Tobi had the First Hokage's cells implanted in him allowing him to use Izanagi, though later Itachi implied that the use of that forbidden jutsu was so widespread that they had to develop another forbidden jutsu to stop it, so who the gently caress knows.

Sakura helping defeat Kaguya is cool! Wish she got to do more of that. Won't see me criticize that.

Shikamaru might fall on the wayside power-wise, but he remains the dude who comes up with plans (together with his dad) way into the war, even when we're deep into the throwing bijuu bombs part of the war. At this same time, Sakura - who I feel (but I haven't checked in terms of hard stats) has had much less screentime than him - is healing Naruto.

As for Sai, I meant that he felt like he had more screentime in the war than Sakura, which is probably untrue, but he does get to help fight the revived Akatsuki members and has a culmination to his character arc and his emotional issues with the "fight" against his brother. I'm pretty deep into the arc, and so far I feel like Sakura has... healed some people, killed a White Zetsu, and then healed Naruto?

So like, yeah, there are absolutely problems that are more generalized than just to Naruto, but I feel like Naruto is quite bad in how it handles female characters too, in spite of the fact that I agree that Kishimoto could actually do it when trying*.

* That said, I don't know what kind of editorial suggestions he gets, and I wouldn't want him to try the way Hideo Kojima tried when writing Metal Gear Solid 2.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

So the thing is a decent number of characters got a spotlight chapter or two in the war arc because a number of them like didn't ever particularly get to ever resolve their character plot points so Kishimoto put it in there, as quickly and efficiently as he could. The War Arc was like a Royal Rumble of characters doing their big spots and dealing with unresolved plots.

Like Hell Tenten got some spotlight.

Like, Shika, Chouji and Ino, got to face Asuma and deal with their poo poo. Because only Shika ever really did previously. Gaara got to deal with his Daddy issues. etc etc.

Sakura was largely dealing with her poo poo around Sasuke and feeling guilt over what she feels like she pushed Naruto into throughout the entire Part 2.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The anime exclusive episodes also let the girls be cool sometimes (hell, some of them have gotten more focus in filler than they have in the actual canon content. Tenten for example)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

The anime exclusive episodes also let the girls be cool sometimes (hell, some of them have gotten more focus in filler than they have in the actual canon content. Tenten for example)

And Hinata got that cool power upgrade in part one where she essentially turns the Byakugan into a laser point defense system but is of course only filler so never brought up again and these days seems entirely relegated to the status of hausfrau.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

And Hinata got that cool power upgrade in part one where she essentially turns the Byakugan into a laser point defense system but is of course only filler so never brought up again and these days seems entirely relegated to the status of hausfrau.

Come to think of it, I believe the only time Hinata ever fought in Boruto was the movie and its later anime remake

Sakura did get to punch a dinosaur in the Sasuke miniseries at least and was treated as being fairly competent for the most part

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 20, 2023

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I just introduced my son (10) to Naruto. Gave him a bunch of chapters on an e reader.He likes it so far. :dunno: But he’s only read like chapters 1 and 2 I think.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Lmao Spoilers are out and about.

Sarada cooked the poo poo out of Shikamaru(Current Hokage) lmao

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I've only seen the page of Shikamaru as Hokage (El Ochokage) but i'm so excited lol

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Do we know if we’re jumping straight into the timeskip when we come back (I assume so given that art of older Sarada we saw a little while ago)? If so, how many years are we flashing ahead?

Shikamaru becoming the 8th Hokage was obvious though since even when Naruto was around he was basically the one steering the ship

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 16, 2023

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Larryb posted:

Do we know if we’re jumping straight into the timeskip when we come back (I assume so given that art of older Sarada we saw a little while ago)? If so, how many years are we flashing ahead?

Shikamaru becoming the 8th Hokage was obvious though since even when Naruto was around he was basically the one steering the ship

Jumping straight into it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, still not digging post-timeskip Sarada’s design

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Dexo posted:

Jumping straight into it.

That is one messy design and what is up with that pose. This communicates a lot of things like delinquent and ….err something else. But not bad rear end ninja to me. Still I look forward to it. Boruto was getting good.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Darth TNT posted:

That is one messy design and what is up with that pose. This communicates a lot of things like delinquent and ….err something else. But not bad rear end ninja to me. Still I look forward to it. Boruto was getting good.

she's been positioned as one of like two people in her society that knows the truth of what's happened, she'd totally be like a teenage rebel type now

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Yeah like that's almost textual

Spoilers translation

Shikamaru: "This has nothing to do with Sasuke. This is about how you, as a Shinobi of konoha, conduct yourself."

Sarada: "The 7th Hokage, even when he was a genin, once left the village and brought back Papa (Sasuke). As a fellow shinobi he had also committed a great crime by leaving the village, but then he became the hokage"

Sarada: "My role model is the 7th hokage, not you"

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Dexo posted:

Spoilers translation

Shikamaru: "This has nothing to do with Sasuke. This is about how you, as a Shinobi of konoha, conduct yourself."

Sarada: "The 7th Hokage, even when he was a genin, once left the village and brought back Papa (Sasuke). As a fellow shinobi he had also committed a great crime by leaving the village, but then he became the hokage"

Hell yes

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dexo posted:

Spoilers translation

Sarada remains the best Uchiha

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Larryb posted:

Sarada remains the best Uchiha

For as much poo poo ask Sasuke gets for bailing on them when she was younger. It was absolutely the correct decision.

Sometimes you just got to know when you aren't going to be a good influence on your kid

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I want her to hit someone with "whatever, when dad was my age he was out there doing war crimes"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A fan translation is out now for anyone that doesn't want to wait:

https://opscans.com/boruto-two-blue-vortex-chapter-1/

It seems while Himawari wasn’t completely immune to Eida’s spell she apparently remembers enough to know something’s wrong (also I like her post timeskip look and the fact she can actually fight now). Also we’re now 3 years into the future and Boruto’s started dressing like Sasuke (including using the sword he gave him).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 17, 2023

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Not a fan of the sarada outfit, at all

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

McCloud posted:

Not a fan of the sarada outfit, at all

Likewise, everyone else looks fine though

Also a slight oddity, I assumed the anime was canon to the manga what with Sumire’s appearance but at the beginning of the chapter Shikamaru calls Sarada a genin despite her being promoted to chunin and made the captain of Team 7 prior to the timeskip

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 17, 2023

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Good catch. The anime and manga have always a bit wonky with each other canon wise, but they try to account for it to some extent. This isn't the first time the manga doesn't quite work with what the anime did previously, the other biggest thing being how Himawari's ninja training is handled.

I think here they just were desperate to make Sarada's statement make her align with how Naruto was, even if it went against what the anime has established.

Will they change or ignore that line when it finally gets animated, I could see it either way. As far as I can remember, there's never been someone who got bumped back down. So as far as the anime does, yeah, she's a Chuunin.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Larryb posted:

Likewise, everyone else looks fine though

Also a slight oddity, I assumed the anime was canon to the manga what with Sumire’s appearance but at the beginning of the chapter Shikamaru calls Sarada a genin despite her being promoted to chunin and made the captain of Team 7 prior to the timeskip

Yeah everyone else had great designs, which made me doubly annoyed how badly they missed the mark with Salad girl

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Sarada is better off than Code :drac:

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I want to wait for the official translation before thinking too much about the plot but it looks like Daemon didn't grow at all in the last 3 years?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I'm ready to see Mitsuki wreck poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dexo posted:

Spoilers translation

Get 'im, girl.