Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Just send in the paratroopers, bing bong done.

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

PurpleXVI posted:

Serious reply: It would almost certainly go poorly for whatever Russian bribes the ANC is enjoying. That's bound to be their motivation rather than any sort of actual fear of Russian warships.

Non-serious reply: I would love to see Russia, after how badly they hosed up a land invasion of a neighbouring country, try an amphibious invasion of a country a good half of the way around the globe.

2023 needs, and frankly deserves, a remake of the classic Baltic Fleet World Tour of 1905.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Fearless posted:

I suspect it's a way of buying more time to keep from heavily conscripting the inhabitants of Moscow and St. Petersburg.

Those will never be mobilised easily because the conscript pay is astronomical to the regions but just above median there.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Hypnobeard posted:

How much of the VDV even exists at this point?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

v

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

PurpleXVI posted:

I suppose it makes sense, 60-year-old officers might actually have hands-on experience with the Soviet relics they're hauling out of storage.

they know where to siphon the alcohol out of them

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Does Ukraine have tanker aircraft? Be funny if they Yamamoto his rear end over the Indian Ocean

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

they know where to siphon the alcohol out of them

Good post/av combo. Vas would know.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Vengarr posted:

2023 needs, and frankly deserves, a remake of the classic Baltic Fleet World Tour of 1905.

Unlike the 1905 trip I doubt they actually make it to their destination and just end up with vessels scattered across various ports along the route suffering from maintenance issues.

That said, if they do manage to sight the horn, South Africa has 4 reasonably modern frigates and 3 modern German submarines which is more than I think the Russian navy can handle.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Hypnobeard posted:

VDV!

Vengarr posted:

With how much baffingly stupidity the Russians have been showing in this war, it just might happen, and it will be a barrel of laffs.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
it does feel like a redo of 1905 is a thousand times more likely now than anyone would've estimated 24 or even 12 months ago.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Murgos posted:

Unlike the 1905 trip I doubt they actually make it to their destination and just end up with vessels scattered across various ports along the route suffering from maintenance issues.

That said, if they do manage to sight the horn, South Africa has 4 reasonably modern frigates and 3 modern German submarines which is more than I think the Russian navy can handle.

Based on performance so far, a clutch of shore launched Exocets might do for whatever expeditionary force makes it there.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

fartknocker posted:

In headcount, probably more than at the beginning of the war.

In skills and experience, lol, lmao.

For some reason the Russians seem to prefer to preferentially replenish "elite" units like the 1 Guards Tank Army and the VDV units, instead of spreading people around or raising new units. 1GTA has had it's frontline elements virtually wiped out twice, and is again supposedly fully replenished.

Of course, this means that at this point "VDV" and "1GTA" probably don't mean much anymore, other than they get better guns and more ammo.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Tuna-Fish posted:

In headcount, probably more than at the beginning of the war.

In skills and experience, lol, lmao.

For some reason the Russians seem to prefer to preferentially replenish "elite" units like the 1 Guards Tank Army and the VDV units, instead of spreading people around or raising new units. 1GTA has had it's frontline elements virtually wiped out twice, and is again supposedly fully replenished.

Of course, this means that at this point "VDV" and "1GTA" probably don't mean much anymore, other than they get better guns and more ammo.

this is pretty normal for a lot of reasons. like you could wind down the 1GTA, but you'd just stand up a new formation with the same job and the same bases built around a cadre of 1GTA survivors anyway.

goes all the way back to like the persian Immortals at least.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

this is pretty normal for a lot of reasons. like you could wind down the 1GTA, but you'd just stand up a new formation with the same job and the same bases built around a cadre of 1GTA survivors anyway.

goes all the way back to like the persian Immortals at least.
I think this is more putting your guys in the Guards units means that your non-Guards units get increasingly raggedy and lovely and demoralized, while doing something more equitable might lead to overall better combat power.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Tuna-Fish posted:

VDV gets those sweet striped shirts though, that adds +10 to their rifle accuracy.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Nessus posted:

I think this is more putting your guys in the Guards units means that your non-Guards units get increasingly raggedy and lovely and demoralized, while doing something more equitable might lead to overall better combat power.

Well, also the unit being Guards often just means that the WWII predecessor of that unit was. That, or the unit did something like Bucha and Putin wanted to enjoy pointing out that they got away with it.

(Before Ukraine got rid of the old Soviet honors, and created a bunch of new units I am pretty sure the majority of its units were Guards. Weirdly the The 24th wasn't one despite having a more impressive record than many units that were, e.g. the near-to-my-old-hometown 28th).

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Jimmy Smuts posted:

VDV gets those sweet striped shirts though, that adds +10 to their rifle accuracy.

Doesn't help them swim though

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

:drat:

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

orange juche posted:

Doesn't help them swim though
Holy poo poo

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

fartknocker posted:

V :D V

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

Murgos posted:

And if they make landfall, they will get carjacked the second they hit major populated areas. Perhaps even before they get off the beach at Durban. Then watch them discover how well BMPs deal with the massive potholes they can't see at night because load shedding is in effect.

Make it inland and heavily armed Afrikaners will gleefully pull a remix of the commandoes, but with technical bakkies instead of horses.

"By fok, Petrus! The Russians have landed! Let's have a braai and then go moer them."

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

deal: putin may not enter and die antwoord may never leave

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If the ICC arrests putin, Russia will retaliate by arresting Steven Seagal

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwxjYFqP35A&t=29s

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Jimmy Smuts posted:

'Why do all these shirts have holes in the chest?'

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Deptfordx posted:

'Why do all these shirts have holes in the chest?'

I'd make a joke about the shirts smelling like salt water but I already did that. (for real though dropping multiple An-12s full of VDV into the black sea loaded with their full kit is the height of stupidity)

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Mzuri posted:

And if they make landfall, they will get carjacked the second they hit major populated areas. Perhaps even before they get off the beach at Durban. Then watch them discover how well BMPs deal with the massive potholes they can't see at night because load shedding is in effect.

Make it inland and heavily armed Afrikaners will gleefully pull a remix of the commandoes, but with technical bakkies instead of horses.

"By fok, Petrus! The Russians have landed! Let's have a braai and then go moer them."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUnznJRTlD8

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

orange juche posted:

I'd make a joke about the shirts smelling like salt water but I already did that. (for real though dropping multiple An-12s full of VDV into the black sea loaded with their full kit is the height of stupidity)

Was that one actually confirmed by any sources? It felt like it was one of the more hilarious, but also more dubious, stories of the early invasion.

Meanwhile, things have been happening overnight...

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1681580265703976961

quote:

Russia opened a criminal case against Colonel of GRU Vladimir Kvachkov, a close Girkin's ally and a member of the "Angry Patriots Club", accusing him of discrediting the Russian Armed Forces.

Purges will continue until morale improves.

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1681573951703597056

quote:

The so-called head of occupied #Crimea, Sergey Aksyonov, said that an ammunition depot in the Kirovske district was on fire overnight and announced an evacuation of the residents of four settlements in the depot’s vicinity.

I'm consistently surprised that Russia still has more ammo dumps to blow up, considering how many huge explosions we've seen over the last year and a half.

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1681569162684932096

quote:

Russian AA/artillery unit received 6 Tunguska air defence vehicles from MoD, likely from long conservation followed by major repairs - as a result, all six vehicles are disfunctional.

In the full version of the video, the reporter states that upon reception, three vehicles were running but after a 30-km march all broke down with major suspension problems, another two suffer from armament control system malfunctions, and a sixth is too dangerous to even start.

None of the six transport-reloading vehicles (TZM) were functional either.

More of the usual of Russia scraping the bottom of the barrel for functional military equipment.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

PurpleXVI posted:

Was that one actually confirmed by any sources? It felt like it was one of the more hilarious, but also more dubious, stories of the early invasion.

Meanwhile, things have been happening overnight...

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1681580265703976961

wait! I'm not wearing pants!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PurpleXVI posted:

At least two IL-76s shot down fully laden with paratroopers were confirmed by the US via an AWACS on the Polish border. I'm not sure *which* two IL-76s these were, and the Pentagon rather quickly stopped directly confirming Russian losses.

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1497430637166407686

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cythereal posted:

At least two IL-76s shot down fully laden with paratroopers were confirmed by the US via an AWACS on the Polish border. I'm not sure *which* two IL-76s these were, and the Pentagon rather quickly stopped directly confirming Russian losses.

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1497430637166407686

I want to say the VDV dropped in the drink was because they were coming in towards Odessa from the black sea and were engaged by AAA and painted by SAMs and the pilots panicked and hit the green light too early. Only sourcing for it was a Visegrad24 tweet, but its still on brand for the VDV

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1497664806958030851?s=20

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Why would 50 brave VDV retreat from their landing in such a cowardly fashion as to not even engage the enemy?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Here they are wasting valuable trained resources they cannot spare on half-assed missions that go south quickly.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
The descent was quick enough.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Why would 50 brave VDV retreat from their landing in such a cowardly fashion as to not even engage the enemy?

Retreat? Bah. They decided to engage the sea itself, rather than puny Ukrainians. They learned far too late that Ukraine had a favor to call in with Neptune (they don’t slap his spear on everything for no reason, after all).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Russia's invasion of the Water was a complete failure, the water won.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

orange juche posted:

I want to say the VDV dropped in the drink was because they were coming in towards Odessa from the black sea and were engaged by AAA and painted by SAMs and the pilots panicked and hit the green light too early. Only sourcing for it was a Visegrad24 tweet, but its still on brand for the VDV

This story reminds me of how Ukraine claimed multiple IL-76s full of airborne units were all shot down over Ukraine, but then the evidence of that was

Like even if a plane full of airborne troops was aloft and headed to try a drop against a known fortified city, if a pilot was afraid that a SAM was incoming, just turning around is faster than telling everyone to jump out of the airplane early and into the ocean before the aircrew flees.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

mlmp08 posted:

This story reminds me of how Ukraine claimed multiple IL-76s full of airborne units were all shot down over Ukraine, but then the evidence of that was

Like even if a plane full of airborne troops was aloft and headed to try a drop against a known fortified city, if a pilot was afraid that a SAM was incoming, just turning around is faster than telling everyone to jump out of the airplane early and into the ocean before the aircrew flees.

Check my post above the one you're quoting. At least two fully laden IL-76s were confirmed shot down by US intelligence aircraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

Idk about the Russians, but American Airborne elements are briefed on and practice emergency bailout procedures. If the pilots think imminent loss of the aircraft is occuring, they signal for an emergency bailout and it ends up being a mad dash for the door. The Jumpmaster commands are extremely truncated to just stand-up, hook-up, and Go.

My only logic as to why the Russians would have dropped in the drink is that they either thought they were about to lose the aircraft and it's better to give the paratroopers in the back a fighting chance by exiting wherever vice joining the av gas fireball. Or if the Russians use a Computer Aided Release Point, they could have had wrong inputs or outputs which lead to a completely incorrect drop point. Or they could have been doing any navigational based drop and gotten it wrong. Or they could have been using GPS/GLONASS based drop point and their fuckery or Ukrainian EW could have thrown them off. You could go on and on, basically what mistake/effect or combination could make them take the wrong approach or drop at the wrong point and it's plausible. My money is on a malfunctioning Computer Aided Release Point combined with them being effected by Russian EW that wasn't properly deconflicted, that level of incompetence just feels right based off the past year and half.