Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I just want to know, with these nerfs, how does the game compare to PoE? Could a case be made that one is better?

They both share some features with diablo 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Zeg posted:

I'm nonplussed. Weren't they bragging how they were working on S3 already?

Working on the season 3 mtx cosmetics lol

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
i play diablo 4 for about 3 hours each evening and im having a blast! this patch adjusts much needed things and im fine with that.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

wemgo posted:

The tea leaves are that sorc is getting a heavy revamp for season 2. It’d make sense considering the current meta/balance and how little time they spent fixing the glaring issues with the class with this patch.

Do yourself a favor and play one of the other 4 less frustrating classes for this one season.

Why would you believe this lol. If that’s the plan why nerf sorc at all? Why not just throw it some goofy weird buffs to throw the class a bone and let them have fun.

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope

WIFEY WATCHDOG posted:

i play diablo 4 for about 3 hours each evening and im having a blast! this patch adjusts much needed things and im fine with that.

Just as weak as a sorc in season 1

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy

OctaMurk posted:

They should have nerfed vulnerable even harder. Like 80% instead of 40%. Maybe crit too, but at least crit feels more accessible.

Why?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

WIFEY WATCHDOG posted:

:mods:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Idk what the right value for vuln is, but pretty much every build had to have something that applied it because you could were crippling your build otherwise

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope

zoux posted:

Idk what the right value for vuln is, but pretty much every build had to have something that applied it because you could were crippling your build otherwise

The design would be fixed by vuln being applied by a thing you hit every "X" seconds with the damage buckets they've created, but that's basic math and beyond the reach of the dev team

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

How did they not reduce base cds with the CDR nerf

zoux posted:

Nothing has changed in this respect

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The season is gonna rule so hard!! The haters won't know what to do with themselves. Greatest season of all time!!

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG posted:

Why would you believe this lol. If that’s the plan why nerf sorc at all? Why not just throw it some goofy weird buffs to throw the class a bone and let them have fun.

Some suit saw that people were breaking into the endgame too quickly and mandated a slowdown of overall progression to keep people playing the game longer/more hours.

Sorc got hit with the resulting nerfs from this just like the other classes.

Actual nerfs would have been to the damage/effectiveness of ice shards/nova and flame shield.

But who knows. In blizz time the class rework will probably come with expac 1

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

flashman posted:

Hmm sounds like you want a power fantasy in your fantasy video game. That’s not what they had in mind when they were designing things.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

wemgo posted:

Some suit saw that people were breaking into the endgame too quickly and mandated a slowdown of overall progression to keep people playing the game longer/more hours.

Sorc got hit with the resulting nerfs from this just like the other classes.

Actual nerfs would have been to the damage/effectiveness of ice shards/nova and flame shield.

But who knows. In blizz time the class rework will probably come with expac 1

I mean they specifically gutted devouring blaze, this was not in the crossfire, and a large source of damage for meta and off meta builds.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

flashman posted:

Nothing has changed in this respect

Sounds like we need some more needs

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope

flashman posted:

I mean they specifically gutted devouring blaze, this was not in the crossfire.

It's an important part of that one video that took out the only boss they wanted people to try for 60 hours

Honestly, the fight sucks and has terrible mechanics that don't help you learn at all. The guy who liked FFXIV learned absolutely nothing

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG posted:

gotta nerf before u buff

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

zoux posted:

Sounds like we need some more needs

As long as the damage formula works as it does numerical nerfs aren't going to change anything wrt gear priority. Just getting rid of vuln would do the trick.

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope

flashman posted:

I mean they specifically gutted devouring blaze, this was not in the crossfire, and a large source of damage for meta and off meta builds.

This is the problem - the fact that someone looked at a very specific sorc passive (the class that gets the poo poo end of the stick already) and said to massively nerf that poo poo makes no sense.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

TracerBullet posted:

This is the problem - the fact that someone looked at a very specific sorc passive (the class that gets the poo poo end of the stick already) and said to massively nerf that poo poo makes no sense.

Its prob entirely because people were deleting Uber Lilith in it with one stagger, but they just made Sorc rear end to play in all other contexts as well

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

WIFEY WATCHDOG posted:

what level are you

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
its illegal for you to ask me that

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Its prob entirely because people were deleting Uber Lilith in it with one stagger, but they just made Sorc rear end to play in all other contexts as well

That was the aspect of control, on a weapon swap to two hander, which was also nerfed.

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I'm sorry but I don't think that's right. Of all of the 'world boss/Uber Lilith killed in 10 seconds' clips I've seen, I haven't seen devouring blaze sorc being a part of that party. It is possible I'm not online enough so ymmv

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

flashman posted:

Devouring blaze was definitely Not nerfed into the ground lol. In fact, its still the best passive for damage lol

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

flashman posted:

As long as the damage formula works as it does numerical nerfs aren't going to change anything wrt gear priority. Just getting rid of vuln would do the trick.

It would be nice because it would also open up a lot of alternative builds. Because until you can get the exploit glyph your build really suffers if you don’t have a way/a good way to apply vulnerability. Just really limiting.

Half-thought-out idea: put crit innate on rings, crit damage on amulet, vulnerable on gloves and take them off the rest of the loot-table.

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope

wemgo posted:

Devouring blaze was definitely Not nerfed into the ground lol. In fact, its still the best passive for damage lol

In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king!!!1 I shout to the Bliz devs who have never played sorc

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

TracerBullet posted:

I'm sorry but I don't think that's right. Of all of the 'world boss/Uber Lilith killed in 10 seconds' clips I've seen, I haven't seen devouring blaze sorc being a part of that party. It is possible I'm not online enough so ymmv

the blizzard sorc build that could kill lilith in one stagger uses devouring blaze and aspect of control

FootballFreak2
Jan 8, 2023

Guess I’ll switch from bone spear necro to minion necro for season, I only got to like level 70 anyway

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Doctor Rope

Radical posted:

the blizzard sorc build that could kill lilith in one stagger uses devouring blaze and aspect of control

As mentioned above, aspect of control is doing most of the heavy lifting here

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

wuffles posted:

Half-thought-out idea: put crit innate on rings, crit damage on amulet, vulnerable on gloves and take them off the rest of the loot-table.

That's unironically a good idea, severely limiting access to extra buckets is a better idea than making those buckets smaller.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

It's fun to rag on The Oculus from the patch notes, but the item itself is way more interesting when you see the other 4 modifiers it has:

quote:

Max Evade Charges 1-3
Attacks Reduce Evades Cooldown 0.9-1.2
Lucky hit restore resources 10.5-21.0
Ranks of teleport 7-15

Getting teleport to level 20+++ would give it nearly zero cooldown... right?

Lack of +dmg mods hurt it badly, but could be zoomy fun good times with your non-evade teleport while speedfarming. Maybe?

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
What I dont get is why they didnt change some of the affixes on some uniques.
Im glad they buffed Gohr's but why the hell does it still have Attack Speed and Lucky hit on an item for a build that uses neither?
Why does Rage of Harrogath have thorns and why specify the other poo poo?
Why does Ring of Menedelin have thorns on a build for Minion attacks?
Why does Razorplate, the loving thorns chest, not have any defensive affixes?
etc. etc.

Speaking of which, why the gently caress do Scythe's still have life on kill for their specific stat? Its loving worthless.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

wemgo posted:

? It went from 75 percent to 30 percent against immobilized... It's still the best passive sorcs had for damage, this is true, but prior to the nerf sorcs had some of the lowest damage at high levels so I'm not sure why such a drastic nerf was considered neccesary...

Radical posted:

Literally every sorc build uses devouring blaze. The triple dip on aspect of control boosted by a 2h that you swap to when lilith is staggered is what allowed it to work.

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Doctor Rope

coelomate posted:

It's fun to rag on The Oculus from the patch notes, but the item itself is way more interesting when you see the other 4 modifiers it has:

Getting teleport to level 20+++ would give it nearly zero cooldown... right?

Lack of +dmg mods hurt it badly, but could be zoomy fun good times with your non-evade teleport while speedfarming. Maybe?

The Oculus in D2 was always an amazing mid-game upgrade and very much allowed for zoomy fun good times with the +3 to all skills but every now and then the random teleport would get you killed real good. Without any significant + to skills I'm not sure the random teleporting will be worth it

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

flashman posted:

? It went from 75 percent to 30 percent against immobilized... It's still the best passive sorcs had for damage, this is true, but prior to the nerf sorcs had some of the lowest damage at high levels so I'm not sure why such a drastic nerf was considered neccesary...

So you can tell your boss that you nerfed the dps of your class by 30% with the least amount of work possible

e: phone postin sucks

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

FootballFreak2 posted:

Guess I’ll switch from bone spear necro to minion necro for season, I only got to like level 70 anyway

I’d hoped for better sorcerer changes, because that was my plan, but I might just go with another CE summoner necro I guess. Shame, sorcerer makes the prettiest lights.

Is a bleed focused barb viable?

Druid seems quite meh without a unique once you hit like level 50, at least from the handful of builds I’ve tried.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

flashman posted:

That was the aspect of control, on a weapon swap to two hander, which was also nerfed.

Yeah but having extra points in Devouring Blaze on an amulet was a key part of getting enough extra crit damage on the Ice Spikes to amplify the damage even more

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
It's not like the patch changes anything. Game's slightly more annoying to play.

Like cool that some of you enjoy that but you're playing a $70 open beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
The random teleport was always kinda an intentional malus because the occy was very good. It's... maybe kinda in the same boat here?

Like, free teleport enchantment would likely be completely bonkers without SOME sort of drawback, because Raiment exists. But also it's not 2001 anymore, so maybe just let people have fun?