Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are your gaming plans for the summer?
This poll is closed.
Win at video games 37 23.72%
Hone gaming skills 27 17.31%
Unlock hardcore mode achievements 14 8.97%
More grinding 24 15.38%
Post about video games 54 34.62%
Total: 82 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I loved D:OS but I don't know if I could play D:OS 2 just because of how loving long the first one was

I felt like I got everything I wanted out of it, down to beating the final boss due to having over 100% resistances so everything it did healed me instead before they patched that out lol. Really good game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DOS2 is definitely another one of those clear out your plans for a month type games as it will take 100+ hours to finish on the first playthrough.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Volte posted:

When I managed to escape Fort Joy in D:OS2 just by trying an idea I had, I felt like "holy poo poo I just escaped from prison" as opposed to "✓ Escape from prison: Complete". I don't think I've ever had that in any other video game.

I literally just could not figure out a way to get out of Fort Joy and like

after a few days, I realized I wasn't having any fun and returned the game

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
giving the player teleportation gloves early on is a very good idea on their part because it lets people gently caress around with combat teleports and getting into places in unortodox ways

doubt i'll ever play a game this big a second time but if i do loading up the party with basic knowledge of air magic so everyone can cast teleport sounds like a fun time

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Teleporting bad guys off of cliffs + into fire was pretty much my main battle strategy from beginning to end. And hell, it worked.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

there's a pretty fun free-for-all mode in Naraka where you just try to get as many kills as possible in a smallish map and hey i did pretty good on my first one

i got the most kills but at the end of the match the top 3 players become worth 10 points each and florida man got more of those than i did :argh:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, the games quest log and quest markers were not always clear, so I had a tough time getting through the game and never got far. But I want to mention that I believe this to be a skill issue, not a game issue.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh no, same here.

I don't think I've ever found a CRPG that's really grabbed me yet, and boy I keep trying. I guess Jade Empire, but that feels like a different beast.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I had a good time with pillars of eternity 2, I didn’t even need a walkthrough for that one. Also Obsidians other CRPG, Tyranny, was easy for me to follow. I used a walkthrough for Baldur’s Gate 1 & 2, but those games have huge followings and have been combed over so thoroughly, that really impressive and detailed guides exist.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 19, 2023

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh no, same here.

I don't think I've ever found a CRPG that's really grabbed me yet, and boy I keep trying. I guess Jade Empire, but that feels like a different beast.

have you tried Shadowrun: Dragonfall? I remember having an enjoyable time with that one

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
I started playing Tyranny and was really enjoying it, but then was informed that the devs ran out of money and had to rush the ending so the game kinda just ends suddenly and in an unsatisfying way and that killed my motivation to continue

i guess if i was informed wrong then someone sure played a prank on me

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Time for a bit of the rough and tumble

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

If you’re a meticulous gamer like me you end up finding like six different ways of escaping and have to pick the one will earn the most loot/xp

Or you take them as far as you can without triggering the next part and go around hoovering up all their loot and XP.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RottenK posted:

have you tried Shadowrun: Dragonfall? I remember having an enjoyable time with that one

Ooh right, those games are great too.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Waffleman_ posted:

If it's like the first game the trick is to think laterally

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

RottenK posted:

I've played Dragonfall and Hong Kong, I did enjoy those, but never got too far

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
DOS2 was too dang long. In the penultimate area, I decided that if I didn't mainline the story I'd just burn out, so I skipped a bunch of sidequests. But the level/gear curve is so tight that I was basically stuck in the next area with no fights that were doable. So I stopped.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The equipment scaling is trash, everything feels like an mmo « stat stick » that you have to replace every other level to stay competitive. Hopefully bg3 is more like the earlier bgs, where magic items are unique and cool and awesome

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

its based on 5e at least where, numbers explicitly do not get big

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
the real pro move is to first escape Fort Joy, then go back and slaughter everyone in the monastery for the loot and xp

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Has anyone played The Last Spell? Its a pretty fun roguelike where you have to hold off the zombie horde with your guys over multiple nights that I've been digging into.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

homeless snail posted:

its based on 5e

Oh, that's too bad

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Played through Viewfinder earlier tonight. Cute little game, a bit too easy maybe, and feels like they didn't explore the full extent of the camera mechanic, but overall a good experience, about 4-6 hours long.

Currently playing Techtonica, a factory game like Satisfactory, it is a bit rough around the edges and is in early access, but it is one of the few factory building games that have an actual story.

Kinky Cookie Bunny
Apr 1, 2011

i went to the neopets and nothing changed

theres no changes its the same 5 games that are only available cause they refuse to upgrade from flash

on top of that i missed the altador cup

i'm so mad i could just piss glue

Kinky Cookie Bunny
Apr 1, 2011

everyone post your neopets or post your favorite neopets

here's mine

someone made this female white grundo 11 years ago. then threw her in the adoption center.

she's mine now. i dressed her up like that

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Kinky Cookie Bunny posted:

everyone post your neopets or post your favorite neopets

here's mine

someone made this female white grundo 11 years ago. then threw her in the adoption center.

she's mine now. i dressed her up like that

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

My current Neopet is COVID 19 which I've had for 10 days

It's my 3rd COVID pet, and honestly I hope it dies soon

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

you named the 3rd covid pet covid 19

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
TotK: Man, I'm actually getting a little misty-eyed over this random sidequest about some buff mushroom dude fretting over his daughter shipping off to Desert School. The conclusion to that whole bit was legitimately really sweet. :unsmith:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

VostokProgram posted:

you named the 3rd covid pet covid 19

I did name it something starting with c!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

TotK: Man, I'm actually getting a little misty-eyed over this random sidequest about some buff mushroom dude fretting over his daughter shipping off to Desert School. The conclusion to that whole bit was legitimately really sweet. :unsmith:

It's not related to any kind of quest or given direction in any way, but if you take a photo of her in Gerudo town and show it to the parents in Tarrey Town, you get a nice little side-bit of helping cheer them up and feel better knowing she's doing well over there.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Feldegast42 posted:

Has anyone played The Last Spell? Its a pretty fun roguelike where you have to hold off the zombie horde with your guys over multiple nights that I've been digging into.

Great game. Other turn-based strategy games could learn a thing or two from it I think. Namely, the emphasis on aoe and hordes of enemies.

Great music, too. A chunkier, more cerebral Mick Gordan in the style of Doom 2016.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

unattended spaghetti posted:

Great game. Other turn-based strategy games could learn a thing or two from it I think. Namely, the emphasis on aoe and hordes of enemies.

Great music, too. A chunkier, more cerebral Mick Gordan in the style of Doom 2016.

This game is on my wishlist! It looks neat...

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I played a little of Um Jammer Lammy today on a lark, and man, I forgot how charming that game is. I think PaRappa 2 has a better soundtrack overall, but some of these songs are total bangers. Lammy is a fun protagonist too.

I'm also in love with how completely early-2000s-core the vibes are. Lammy's bob, crop top, and flared jeans are crazily of that time period--the game in general feels like the Josie and the Pussycats movie or something, and it kinda rules.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rather cruel to force a bird to bear you just because you want to play a rhythm game, unnecessary too.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Got my first hunting bow stealth kill tonight in Hunt: Showdown. Felt real good.

At about 15 hours I'm starting to feel like I'm not dogshit at this game. Not complete dogshit anyway

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

Rather cruel to force a bird to bear you just because you want to play a rhythm game, unnecessary too.

I saw this the other day and thought it was an absolutely fantastic idea for a rhythm game - multiplayer chaos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJJyCHLgPs0

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

is this a post about banjo kazooie

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

I said come in! posted:

im so glad youre playing this game, its wonderful.

Taurma the old blue man saying to grahf 'Is that not right...Lacan?' TOTALLY threw me for a loop. I had assumed there was something wonky going on there but not that.

The ambition in this game is so in my face the whole time and I dig it. They may not always have grabbed those rungs but they put the effort in to try and I respect it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol I figured that if FF14 includes a bunch of past series stuff and the music therein that they'd have a version of Four Fiends, but I didn't know until now that they literally asked Hyadain(niconico superstar who made a bunch of video game songs that went relatively viral back in the day) to come in and do it, and he made Forged In Crimson:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIQeJJrjllk&hd=1

seems like the original animation for his Four Fiends song is gone from youtube except for extremely low res reuploads, but there is this AI upscale that's decent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21RFBPoOTug&hd=1

:allears: I'm glad people get to enjoy such a heartfelt game like FF14. I'll never play it, but I'm happy for you guys. and hey I get to pillage the soundtracks that get put out for it too I suppose