Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Poil posted:

Keeping at least one, or a few, loaded for emergencies doesn't seem like a terrible idea.
You can even mix them all together, so it's a big surprise if the gun you pick is loaded or not!

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

It's been days get over it geez, Greta.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple 17: Hell on Wheels Part 2

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

I think this story really came into its own when I decided that Reverend Penrose would try in vain to twist the robot’s head off. It all flowed from there, backwards and forwards.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I gotta say, '80s Mary Worth? I hate both these characters.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

The_Other posted:

Steeple website

No no an empurata is removal of head AND hands in Transformers/bots who change forms.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

"It makes people want to kill their fiances. Anyway, you should probably be getting out of the flashback now."

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Vargo posted:

Breaking Cat News

Ever since this mole storyline started, I've been worried about Georgia Dunn trying to make some metaphorical "horrors of war" storry with her cute animal strip, particularly pertaining to Ruissia-Ukraine. It hasn't obviously shifted in that direction but I can see it going there any day now.

It hurts my immersion whenever Dunn romanticizes the household pests that normal cats would always being trying to murder. Or maybe I'm just annoyed because there are already too many cats to keep track of without having to keep track of all these other animals too.

quote:

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

I'm very struck how this was the whole "gateway in the subway" storyline in Legend in the Heights, except way more condensed and genuinely charming because it's presented in purely functional terms and isn't just assumed to be inherently interesting.

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (April 27-29, 1942)

This one really threw me because I can't imagine a road with lots of greenery and frolicking deer (who I can actually see and therefore not accidentally run into) as being a part of a less beautiful landscape because...whatever they're looking at is thinner. Can't even tell if that's supposed to be part of the joke or not.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Remember: She Is Not Actually A Tiger

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ballard Street

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

mycatscrimes posted:

Sorry I'm not trying to be aggro but I am truly mystified by this recurring discussion thread around the strip's setting. It's extremely normal for a lighthearted kid's story not to be 100% grounded in a specific setting and to just have random anachronisms or excursions into the fantastic. The 'honey badger' thing wouldn't be a big deal even if it was supposed to be strictly set in the 80s, because that's a throwaway line immediately understandable to the audience reading it and the point of the work is not creating a slavishly authentic period piece. The approach to setting is driven by the kinds of stories told, not the other way around, and there is no real need for a 'kids solving a mystery in an ambigously nostalgic past' story to be a super authentic period piece, because the exact time period is not tremendously important to the story.

I don't think you're being aggro at all! I keep bringing the topic up because I enjoy discussing it. Crabgrass isn't suddenly terrible by any means, but the vibe is definitely different and I think that's more interesting than it is bad.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Some Guy TT posted:

It hurts my immersion whenever Dunn romanticizes the household pests that normal cats would always being trying to murder. Or maybe I'm just annoyed because there are already too many cats to keep track of without having to keep track of all these other animals too.

I'm very struck how this was the whole "gateway in the subway" storyline in Legend in the Heights, except way more condensed and genuinely charming because it's presented in purely functional terms and isn't just assumed to be inherently interesting.

This one really threw me because I can't imagine a road with lots of greenery and frolicking deer (who I can actually see and therefore not accidentally run into) as being a part of a less beautiful landscape because...whatever they're looking at is thinner. Can't even tell if that's supposed to be part of the joke or not.

I think the rubber tires on the car are wearing thin so everybody is much more concerned with making sure they stay in the ruts and don't find any surprise punctures than looking at the landscape around them.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

BigglesSWE posted:

Ballard Street

Good. Now get out there and show 'em what you got, Gilbert!

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth, featuring Ted's dad bod.
Doesn't she see him every day?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Some Guy TT posted:

They're looking at the ruts in the dirt road, which in previous strips were so deep that they were practically driving slot cars. But tire rationing had started in January, so some people don't get around much anymore. At least that's my take.

Our Boarding House (April 17-19, 1924)

Toonerville Folks (June 20-22, 1921)

Dok's "That Type of Friendship" Duck (October 31, 1914)

Little Lefty, featuring Patsy and Kate, spy smashers. (November 3-5, 1938)

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

Doesn't she see him every day?

Not with his shirt off

They only exist in the strips we see, which is why they never had a second kid

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

The_Other posted:

Steeple website

Def made me think of the old Headmasters Marvel comic.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Good Listener posted:

Def made me think of the old Headmasters Marvel comic.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Green Intern posted:

Really side eying this dog being left outside in an open chickenwire cage.

Like, crate training and kenneling are a thing and can be really helpful for situations when you need to keep your dog contained and it's not cruel if done properly. But you're not supposed to just lock your dog up in the shed all day every day because you got bored with the idea of owning a dog, 80's Canadians!

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

You guys are going to beat people up at the press conference?

Luann

Bad choice. If you hate the main character you're writing, how can you expect the reader to like or want to read about them? Not saying it can't be done. Saying it takes skill and Luann doesn't have the chops.

Gil Thorp

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

:eyepop:

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Some Guy TT posted:

I don't think you're being aggro at all! I keep bringing the topic up because I enjoy discussing it. Crabgrass isn't suddenly terrible by any means, but the vibe is definitely different and I think that's more interesting than it is bad.

That's fair! It's fun to talk about stories. : ) And with all the recent changes, it only makes sense Crabgrass is drawing some extra scrutiny. Glad I didn't come off as snippy.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fingerpori

munankorvike = egg substitute/replacement
muna = egg
muna = slang term for penis (or more probably male genitalia as a whole due to the "testicles resemble eggs" thing, even though where I'm from it's mostly been a penis euphemism)
munankorvike = penis substitute/replacement
I'm a bit hazy how you get "vagina" from "penis substitute/replacement"

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Hempuli posted:

Fingerpori

munankorvike = egg substitute/replacement
muna = egg
muna = slang term for penis (or more probably male genitalia as a whole due to the "testicles resemble eggs" thing, even though where I'm from it's mostly been a penis euphemism)
munankorvike = penis substitute/replacement
I'm a bit hazy how you get "vagina" from "penis substitute/replacement"
Well, I suppose if you're talking crudely about gender affirmation surgery, then the thing that gets substituted for a penis would be a vagina...?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Bogor Kevin & Kell

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

Oh no, now I'm starting to feel bad for Copper!

I get so annoyed at strips of Luann forever complaining that writing is so hard. Make an effort at something for once in your comic strip life, you goddamn waste of space

At least Dustin goes out and tries things, despite his family trying to keep him down

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (August 15, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
These pirates really suck.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

davidspackage posted:

Oh no, now I'm starting to feel bad for Copper!
That's okay, I'll cheer for his getting dunked on for the both of us :peanut: Planck marrying the sister and becoming his in-law would be delicious.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Some Guy TT posted:

Interactions with yard critters can be complex. My mom's yard has picked up a badger. Her reaction was "it'll keep the sage rats away who were more of a pest, and I wasn't using that part of the yard anyway so a big hole doesn't matter", and her friends' reaction was "oh boy, we can bring our dogs by and they'll kill it for you!" So she had to have a bit of a talk with them to make sure nobody crossed boundaries thinking they were doing a favor.

Meanwhile deer, which a lot of folks would say "aww, how sweet", she chases away with a broom because they eat plants she's trying to grow. They love the small stuff that hasn't gotten established yet.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

:siren: Untranslatable Fingerpori :siren:

"Sei" or "seiti" is Finnish for pollock, the fish. "Sonta" is Finnish for dung. Because Finnish is a language of compound words, we can put those together. If we add in the word "vakuutus", insurance, we get a long word: seisontavakuutus, which can be broken down to sei + sonta + vakuutus and literally means "pollock dung insurance".

Obviously this word is nonsense and nobody would use it, but it is also a homonym for "seisontavakuutus", seisonta + vakuutus. "Seisonta" is a Finnish term for a vehicle that is not currently commissioned to be road legal, ie. a car you have put in long term storage. If you are willing to legally state that you will not be driving it for a long period, you can opt out of buying quite expensive (and mandatory) normal car insurance for it, and can instead get cheaper "seisontavakuutus", or "laid up insurance"/"decommissioned insurance".

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat(June 10, 1917)

Litle Nemo(November 4, 1906)

Next strip's gonna be a bit bad.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

:siren: Untranslatable Fingerpori :siren:

Thank you.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Apr. 27, 1958)

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers