Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Kolby Allard went straight on the 60 day IL with nerve inflammation in his shoulder, seems pretty bad

They brought up Forrest Wall today since Eddie Rosario is unavailable, hope he gets a chance to do his professional pinch runner thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Why are Jays tickets so expensive right now? Couldn't find a stubhub ticket for tonight for under $100, and Thursday's game the cheapest tickets all the way the hell and gone are $75 per. Who the gently caress is paying $82 a ticket to sit in row 28 of the 500s just outside the foul pole?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Travis d'Arnaud and Atlanta agreed to essentially extend him for one more year on the same terms as he had before iirc -- $8m for '24, team option for '25.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I just saw the Yankees are in sole possession of last place in the AL East

Is there a cake we can eat or a party we can have or a discord we join or something, to commemorate this

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

So close Murphy!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

MrMojok posted:

Is there a cake we can eat or a party we can have or a discord we join or something, to commemorate this

They're still ahead of the entire AL Central and half the West. Let's not celebrate too hard yet. (gently caress the Yankees tho.)

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
What is the logic from the Cardinals front office that Montgomery is all but assured to be traded? If we take as given: 1) that they see 2023 as a bump in the road and expect to compete in 2024; 2) that the Cardinals must significantly upgrade their rotation; and 3) there won't be a ton of top-of-rotation guys, why are they getting rid of their best pitcher this season? OK, his agent is Boras, but who are they going to get that isn't going to cost at least as much as Montgomery that would be an upgrade? Why would any team trade comparable starting pitching with more control for Montgomery?

I am not against trading Monty now, but if management seriously thinks they're going to contend next year, why not just pay Montgomery a lot of money to stick around for 5 more years or whatever?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

MrMojok posted:

Not until they finish a season below .500

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/mlbnetwork/status/1681446593705443334?s=46&t=A_iY-gupVf13dcIJPetZhQ

Oh my god please

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

MrMojok posted:

If a last place finish actually gets the front office shaken up or at the very least changing from this godawful strategy they have, I will jump naked out of said cake

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Of course Ohtani should have won MVP last year, but I don't begrudge voters who choose a Yankee slugger, that is only to be expected.

The reality is that he is the most valuable player in baseball as long as he maintains this level of play, and only God knows how long that will be.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

You stole Abreu that's all you get

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Folks, the Rangers are BACK.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

By asserting their dominance over the AL, the Rangers are making themselves into a prime landing spot for Shohei Ohtani.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

They're really good at winning big and losing small. Their record is 16-31 (.340) in games decided by 3 or fewer runs. They're 27-19 (.587) in games decided by 4 runs or more.

Here's the entire distribution:
  • 1-run games: 9-12
  • 2-run games: 3-11
  • 3-run games: 4-8
  • 4-run games: 7-6
  • 5-run games: 4-3
  • 6-run games: 5-4
  • 7-run games: 3-0
  • 8-run games: 3-0
  • 9-run games: 3-3
  • 10-run games: 1-2
  • 13-run games: 1-1

Updating this to include that the Cubs are now 1-0 in 14-run games

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i thought trevor williams retired at least 2 years ago and he's starting tomorrow for the washington nationals

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

R.D. Mangles posted:

i thought trevor williams retired at least 2 years ago and he's starting tomorrow for the washington nationals

He really hates gay people and was in the news a bunch for it recently

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

camoseven posted:

He really hates gay people and was in the news a bunch for it recently

yech

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

By asserting their dominance over the AL, the Rangers are making themselves into a prime landing spot for Shohei Ohtani.

hell yeah brother

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

giants/reds rules

e:
https://twitter.com/TalkinBaseball_/status/1681508429733453825?s=20

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 19, 2023

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
okay okay i'll watch the Reds game

*Stephenson immediately smacks a double*

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
GABP in the summer is just an absurd hitters park.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
11 teams scored 10 or more runs today. That seems like a lot.

Boston got shut out by Oakland, everyone scored at least 1 run

Good Dog fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 19, 2023

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Good Dog posted:

and the Yankees and Red Sox combine for one run :unsmith:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Man, the Camilo Doval Experience sure is something

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Mariners are having Ty France bobblehead night and apparently he took a 23andme DNA test to determine if he was at all French and it came back with 29% lol

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Bregor posted:

and the Yankees and Red Sox combine for one run :unsmith:

The entire AL East lost, combining for 8 runs between all five teams. That's 1.6 runs/team, which is more than three of the five scored.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Good Dog posted:

Four of them lost!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Good Dog posted:

Boston got shut out by Oakland, everyone scored at least 1 run

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Seems like a lot!

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Now THAT I like!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

it's ok my team didn't score double digits because I got double ty france bobbleheads tonight

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Mike_V posted:

What is the logic from the Cardinals front office that Montgomery is all but assured to be traded? If we take as given: 1) that they see 2023 as a bump in the road and expect to compete in 2024; 2) that the Cardinals must significantly upgrade their rotation; and 3) there won't be a ton of top-of-rotation guys, why are they getting rid of their best pitcher this season? OK, his agent is Boras, but who are they going to get that isn't going to cost at least as much as Montgomery that would be an upgrade? Why would any team trade comparable starting pitching with more control for Montgomery?

I am not against trading Monty now, but if management seriously thinks they're going to contend next year, why not just pay Montgomery a lot of money to stick around for 5 more years or whatever?

From what I remember Monty wanted an extension before the season and said if he didn’t get that he would become a free agent. They wouldn’t do it. I really do want him to stick around though, he’s been fantastic for the team and would be a great piece to keep locked in.

Last night’s game fuckin’ ruled and his pitching was beautiful.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Wayne Knight posted:

it's ok my team didn't score double digits because I got double ty france bobbleheads tonight

Genuine congrats on your sweet bobbleheads

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Man, after the WBC I was convinced but I still did not expect Yoshida to be in the top 5 in the AL in OPS.

Been an up and down season for the Red Sox but I'm pretty excited about the core they're building.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Wezlar posted:

Been an up and down season for the Red Sox but I'm pretty excited about the core they're building.

Chaim Bloom good?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

rickiep00h posted:

They're still ahead of the entire AL Central and half the West. Let's not celebrate too hard yet. (gently caress the Yankees tho.)

What's the funnier result, Yankees having a generic losing year at like 78-84 or being an 86 win team that finishes last place in the division but 4th in the wild card race and 6th overall in the league?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Whatever keeps the Yankees on their current path into the future is the best and funniest option.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
I'm gonna steal Bawfuls' bit and point out that them simply having a losing season would break 30 years of precedent. Breaking that will be funniest imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Both New York teams having the #1 and #2 highest payrolls in the league missing the playoffs with losing records is going to be pretty peak hilarity.