Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the controversy of ignoring a landlord's dumb demands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

👏 Throw 👏 children 👏 in 👏 prison 👏 to 👏protect 👏 capital 👏
- the Labour Party

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/494048/watch-live-government-announces-new-ram-raid-criminal-offence

quote:

The government has announced a new criminal offence targeting ram-raiding, carrying a maximum 10-year sentence.

The new offence will apply to everyone regardless of their age. The maximum period of imprisonment will only be imposed on those aged 15 and older, Allan said.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

I'm probably going against popular opinion here but A: you can't just breach a contract just because you feel like it, and B: some people are scared of dogs AND their boss and bring a dog into a workplace is just not acceptable especially if your the boss - of course all your workers are gonna be "oh yeah I like the dog".

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

bike tory posted:

👏 Throw 👏 children 👏 in 👏 prison 👏 to 👏protect 👏 capital 👏
- the Labour Party

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/494048/watch-live-government-announces-new-ram-raid-criminal-offence

Jesus loving christ liberals really are fascists on the inside

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

"This was not about sending children to prison, Hipkins said."

then why are you introducing an additional crime that carries a prison sentence and pretending that's the secret sauce that enables you to do childhood intervention under the OTA when you could just amend the OTA to enable you to do those childhood interventions even in the absence of an artisanal law targeting the pretend problems of middle nz

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
It's all so predictable and grim

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

klen dool posted:

I'm probably going against popular opinion here but A: you can't just breach a contract just because you feel like it, and B: some people are scared of dogs AND their boss and bring a dog into a workplace is just not acceptable especially if your the boss - of course all your workers are gonna be "oh yeah I like the dog".

gently caress landlords restrictions on pet ownership actually

The mayor isn't the boss of council workers, the CEO is

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Confusedslight posted:

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Confusedslight posted:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The worst news is Tova got rehired

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

El Pollo Blanco posted:

gently caress landlords restrictions on pet ownership actually

In residential properties, sure. 100%

El Pollo Blanco posted:

The mayor isn't the boss of council workers, the CEO is

okay but my point stands, surely you understand that someone working at the council would feel like they can't tell the mayor they don't like their dog being around.
In fact I don't think people should have to go out of their way to ask people not to bring dogs in places where dogs usually aren't - like somewhere you have to go like work or the supermarket or school or whatever

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

klen dool posted:

In residential properties, sure. 100%

okay but my point stands, surely you understand that someone working at the council would feel like they can't tell the mayor they don't like their dog being around.
In fact I don't think people should have to go out of their way to ask people not to bring dogs in places where dogs usually aren't - like somewhere you have to go like work or the supermarket or school or whatever

Weird hill to die on, buddy.

Stuff framed it as "This is the latest in a number of controversies surrounding the mayor." Nowhere in the article did it say any of the staff had a problem with it, and you can bet your bottom dollar they went looking for someone who wasn't happy about it.

And then they went on to rehash the bullshit story about the non-issue at a restaurant.

It's pathetic lovely journalism, but you do you.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Please contrast the number of Auckland council officers complaining anonymously about Wayne, vs the number of Wellington council officers complaining anonymously about a dog in the office, ie. None

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
If this thread hates stuff.com so much, why are they constantly being posted? Why are you reading their site?!

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
All the other news is paywalled, and is also fascistic nonsense

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

ledge posted:

Stuff framed it as "This is the latest in a number of controversies surrounding the mayor." Nowhere in the article did it say any of the staff had a problem with it, and you can bet your bottom dollar they went looking for someone who wasn't happy about it.

And then they went on to rehash the bullshit story about the non-issue at a restaurant.

It's pathetic lovely journalism, but you do you.

What's with the attitude man. You make some good points but chill the gently caress out lol

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I thought this thread was in favour of a dog holding a seat in public office

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Unelected Dog-Emperor implicated in Mayoral Office Corruption Scandal

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

what's the over/under on people bringing pets into random not-pet-related stores, like say a bunnings

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Bunnings dogs are good, never seen a bad Bunnings dog

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Serephina posted:

If this thread hates stuff.com so much, why are they constantly being posted? Why are you reading their site?!

I mostly won't click stuff or herald links, I assume others do out of a deep seated sense of self loathing. RNZ has its faults, however it also has mediawatch and will happily point out it's own failings.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

what's the over/under on people bringing pets into random not-pet-related stores, like say a bunnings

Bunnings is a bad example because hardware stores are pretty much the only kind of shop where it's acceptable imo.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

bike tory posted:

Bunnings is a bad example because hardware stores are pretty much the only kind of shop where it's acceptable imo.

"If its OK for a dog to piss on the bare concrete floor of a hardware store, why did I get kicked out of Kmart when I did it there?" - Duncan Garner, probably

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Beartaco posted:

What's with the attitude man. You make some good points but chill the gently caress out lol

Someone was defending Stuff. I can't let that stand.

Also dogs in non pet stores are great. Except restaurants, except if they're at tables outside and being chill.

Also dogs in bars are also great.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Lol I don't think dogs belong in hardware stores, people who are scared of dogs might need to go there. I know a few kids who are absolutely not happy being near dogs and I'm not thrilled either to be honest, I just wanna go buy a screw without worrying about being bit or barked at.

Edit: obviously (maybe not) service dogs are not what I'm talking about here

klen dool
May 7, 2007

ledge posted:

Making 2 posts about something isn't dying on a hill about it lol

klen dool
May 7, 2007

I'm not defending stuff btw - if this was a man, I don't think it would have been deemed news worthy

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

klen dool posted:

Lol I don't think dogs belong in hardware stores, people who are scared of dogs might need to go there. I know a few kids who are absolutely not happy being near dogs and I'm not thrilled either to be honest, I just wanna go buy a screw without worrying about being bit or barked at.

Edit: obviously (maybe not) service dogs are not what I'm talking about here

The notoriously cramped confines of a big box hardware store

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

bike tory posted:

dog-friendly hospitality venues. we have sections outside where customers can chill with their dogs. i get to pat all the dogs and it owns

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Wafflecopper posted:

dog-friendly hospitality venues. we have sections outside where customers can chill with their dogs. i get to pat all the dogs and it owns

We used to have an un-official contest as to who could a; pat the most customer's dogs, and b; who would get to bring them a water dish first. I patted so many good dogs.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

just water? shameful. we have doggy treats

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Wafflecopper posted:

just water? shameful. we have doggy treats

That would have been rad I should have suggested it

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
i never gave it much thought til i had little kids, but now that i know a guy who lives in the building next to mine lets his dog off leash when it has killed two neighbours' cats, one right outside my front door, and has police orders not to take it off leash, i'm not sure i'm cool with random people bringing their unleashed dogs into close contact with me and my pram with a 1 year old in it.

outdoors is outdoors, what are you gonna do, but i see a lot of dogs at least physically capable of biting a baby's face off and unfortunately a lot of lovely owners keeping big dogs shut up in apartments going nuts, and outside is where i'd rather keep those encounters in case i meet the exceptional case

anyway unrelated to some bullshit article but #itsmytwocents. in my view... smooth peanut butter... is number one.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Serephina posted:

Stuff is bad, low quality editing and fact checking often. Too eager to parrot right wing talking points and attack the left based on hyperbole. The others are just worse at all of that.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
The amount of dogs roaming free around my neighbourhood is insane. I love dogs but I think if they escape too many times their owners should be fired out of a cannon. Also re nuts eugenicist takes, it's sad how many times people will straight up say to you "poor people shouldn't have kids" then act surprised when you tell them that's hosed up

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
My hot take is that if your dog is off the leash in a public place that's not a dog park you should both be euthanized.
I have a scar on my hip from being bitten at the park as a kid, my parents have had lambs killed and the amount of fuckers that let their dog run up to my 9 month old makes my blood boil.

I also want to make it clear that I consider none of the above the dogs fault, it's all on their lovely owners. But finding a good dog owner is like finding a good landlord and remains mostly a theoretical possibility.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The park near me is half off-leash area and half on-leash area around the playground and sports field which is the dumbest fuckin arrangement ever because no owners ever observe the on-leash requirement.

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham
On the other side of that coin, there's a heck of a lot of children and adults out there who don't know how to behave around dogs.

The lovely owners aren't going away, but dogs also aren't some totally random unknown quanitity.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

People shouldn't have to "know how to behave around dogs" to exist in public. If a kid out in public does something stupid to a dog thats your fault as a dog owner, not the kids fault for not knowing how to behave around dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

klen dool posted:

People shouldn't have to "know how to behave around dogs" to exist in public. If a kid out in public does something stupid to a dog thats your fault as a dog owner, not the kids fault for not knowing how to behave around dogs.

What? So like if a kid runs up and kicks a dog in the head, that's the dogs fault?