Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mercury_Storm posted:

Master (Mark) Levin easily takes the cake though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYz0RaZSMsA

someone needs to take him talking about his bunker and splice that into the Dirtfoot episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

It's a bit obscure, but American Family Radio host E.W. Jackson has announced that he's launching a presidential campaign. He's not even the biggest host on the network, and he has a snowball's chance in hell of ever even getting on the debate stage, let alone the nomination. His announcement video was just a string of Christian Nationalist grievances with a little "and the liberals are the REAL racists" sprinkled throughout. His campaign's Twitter account currently has 5000 followers. This ain't happening, but I have the feeling that the America Family Association is gonna get a noticable cash injection soon.

I think I half listened to some NPR Iowa stuff about him, he 's said that he is thankful for Donnie and killing abortion, but now they need not Donnie.

gently caress him, and gently caress american christianity.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
also regressives are whiny bitches even when they get amazing historical Wins.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

PhazonLink posted:

I think I half listened to some NPR Iowa stuff about him, he 's said that he is thankful for Donnie and killing abortion, but now they need not Donnie.

gently caress him, and gently caress american christianity.

That tracks, because American Family Radio's current endorsement of Donald Trump is a big fat "uhhhhhhh...???"

Like they're undoubtedly going to fall back into MAGA lockstep as soon as he confirms the nomination, but currently they just can't reconcile the fact that he's the reason why abortion is banned in a third of the states now, but also he says swears and doesn't hate LGBTQ people as much with the same fervor that they do. I think they've sorta noticed that his first term was a fluke and they're still trying to keep the hope of President Pat Robertson alive.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

they're still trying to keep the hope of President Pat Robertson alive.

Unlike actual Pat Robertson. Praise be.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Angry_Ed posted:

someone needs to take him talking about his bunker and splice that into the Dirtfoot episode.

I literally listen to him for the express purposes of imagining it’s really wingnut shake.

Also fuckin lol does he actually honest and truly have a bunker? I thought that was just some stupid bullshit like Hannity threatening to come to your city and sing you a country song, but oops.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Honestly I find it funny that out of all the crazy right-wing family I have, the only one of the right-wing media talking heads I ever hear talked about with any actual affection is Bill O'Reilly and he's loving GONE. I even think that their like of that sack of poo poo is because he has some decent historical books out and is a decent writer. I hate the gently caress but I have been so happy to see the ultra-rich super yuppie side of my family just completely pivot into anger at the republican party and a complete desire to avoid any news or any politician. I'll take them being ignorant over them screaming at family dinners. They just really miss Reagan/HW/W at this point.

TGG fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jul 18, 2023

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

iirc there was a fallout with Trump leading up to the 2020 election, and Drudge sold the site at some point.

Drudge is still up. He just refused to bend the knee to Trump and thought he was a terrible huckster and covered him that way.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
just half listened to another NPR bit.

apparent all the Proud Boy-like groups are called "active clubs"

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

PhazonLink posted:

just half listened to another NPR bit.

apparent all the Proud Boy-like groups are called "active clubs"

well they are actively clubbing counter protesters

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Michigan attorney general charges [16] 'false electors' over efforts to overturn the 2020 election

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/michigan-attorney-general-charges-false-electors-efforts-overturn-2020-rcna94838

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
active clubs for active shooters

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
This kind of thing comes up from time to time to illustrate the notion that the left is more 'intolerant' than the right. I really question the methodology because I find people on the right to be far more incurious and hostile to differing opinions.
https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1681244522758516738?t=UmQzlpIyL5R72jKTayFXeA&s=19

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

quote:

For example, the researchers found that voters of left-wing and green parties dislike people with different views more than people who tend to place themselves on the right-wing political spectrum, especially on issues such as climate change and dealing with pandemics. Only in Germany are AfD supporters just ahead of Green voters in the degree of polarisation. However, the differences are not statistically significant - left and right are roughly on par.

Yup, exactly what I expected from the FAZ.

lmao.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Panfilo posted:

This kind of thing comes up from time to time to illustrate the notion that the left is more 'intolerant' than the right. I really question the methodology because I find people on the right to be far more incurious and hostile to differing opinions.
https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1681244522758516738?t=UmQzlpIyL5R72jKTayFXeA&s=19

The overwhelming majority of right-wingers I've met have put not a single thought into what it is they actually believe, it's just whatever catchphrase right-wing media is putting out at the time.

My political beliefs are shaped by my morals, and I find conservative beliefs to be morally repulsive, so yes I would say it is accurate that I am intolerant of conservatives.

Reminds me of those articles during the Trump administration about conservative men complaining that liberal women won't date them. "If I'm willing to put aside our political differences, why won't you?".

Antigravitas posted:

Yup, exactly what I expected from the FAZ.

lmao.

lmao but not surprised its just a clickbait headline

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
JFC. Building your whole article around a dishonest appraisal of a ‘not statistically significant’ difference.

There’s freedom of expression and then there’s just lying and this is lying.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mustang posted:

Reminds me of those articles during the Trump administration about conservative men complaining that liberal women won't date them. "If I'm willing to put aside our political differences, why won't you?".
Yeah, I think a lot of it’s just that right wing views aren’t very popular, so if they didn’t socially tolerate people who disagree with them they wouldn’t have many people (especially young women) to talk to.

My liberal dad kind has an inverted microcosm of that, he’s into sailing and he has to be willing to shoot the poo poo with guys who are Trumpy as poo poo because that’s who’s on the dock.

I think another part of it is that while there is that relatively small (and politically over-represented) subset of Republicans who think the evil lib commies are out to make your kids trans and molest them, most self-identified conservatives look at liberals as stupid or naive, which places the liberals “beneath” them, and so they don’t feel too much personal anger towards the average lib-on-the-street compared to what we feel about an openly greedy or bigoted person.

E: but I guess the study isn’t any good anyway?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The study may very well be good, but I never trust reactionary propaganda rags to cover any academic work honestly.

Here's the press release of TU Dresden https://tu-dresden.de/tu-dresden/ne...set_language=en

e: I had a glance at it, and yeah, the FAZ framing of the study is maximally dishonest. (as expected)

I don't have the time to critique the methodology.

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 20, 2023

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Conservatives also compartmentalize in a severe way, where they’ll say insane, hateful poo poo at family gatherings and then be completely shocked and offended that they aren’t invited back. It’s like they expect everyone to ignore or overlook their behavior because they’re family and so would expect to do the same. Like they think their kids are communist agents destroying America but they still want them to come to Thanksgiving and treat them normally.

Like, I have friends who have cut off contact with their parents because the parents got into qanon stuff and say bigoted things and accuse my friends of being part of a conspiracy to kill children. The parents are confused and hurt that my friends don’t want be anywhere near them or allow that kind of talk near their own kids. But the parents must logically believe that their own children are dangerous, but they don’t behave that way and expect everyone to overlook those beliefs.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I agree conservatives heavily compartmentalize their beliefs. Remember these are the same people that say democrats are satanic pedophiles yet they are willing to be friends/date people like that? They think they are naive cowards that can't debate but they want to be associated with people like that?

With conservative men there's definitely a desire to have a target of condescension- they don't think their own beliefs are going to be at stake in the relationship, only the woman who they intend to "educate". This prolific leftist Twitter lady mentioned dating a few conservative guys when she was younger (back before she had fully figured out her own convictions) and she mentioned the patten with all the conservative guys were utterly devoid of empathy.

Interestingly, the exception to this seems to be conservative women, who seem much less likely to date a leftist guy than conservative men dating leftist women. This might be because they're more likely to want marriage/kids earlier than a typical leftist guy is ready for and they aren't going to waste time on a person who flat out doesn't want children.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Bear in mind this also reflects on disclose.tv as the mediator.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Panfilo posted:

Interestingly, the exception to this seems to be conservative women, who seem much less likely to date a leftist guy than conservative men dating leftist women. This might be because they're more likely to want marriage/kids earlier than a typical leftist guy is ready for and they aren't going to waste time on a person who flat out doesn't want children.

Or it's because there's way more conservative men than women so they can have their pick of the litter so to speak.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Neo_Crimson posted:

Or it's because there's way more conservative men than women so they can have their pick of the litter so to speak.

Is there though? After all, a majority of white women voted for Trump in 2016.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Panfilo posted:

Is there though? After all, a majority of white women voted for Trump in 2016.

And a larger majority of white men voted for Trump in 2016. Your point?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
My point is that I don't believe there's a significant gender imbalance to drive conservative men to date outside their own ideology.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Panfilo posted:

My point is that I don't believe there's a significant gender imbalance to drive conservative men to date outside their own ideology.

I think it depends heavily on your location as well.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I always love the reactionary response that occurs when a conservative gets called out.

- My brother in law wanted to buy Paula Dean stuff when she was called out for using black people in a way to celebrate antebellum south.
- People started buying tickets for Confederate Railroad when people called them out for using the confederate flag.
- Morgan Wallen started selling more records when he was called out for using the n-word and generally being racist.

- And now, I see more people sharing Jason Aldean’s sundown town song, “Try that in a Small Town” when I have never witnessed his videos being shared before.

It is like a “defend a racist” signal goes out and people run to express their support.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Panfilo posted:

Are you kidding? There are plenty of centrist/liberal women over the last eight years who have discovered that their husbands were actually unhinged reactionaries when it comes to politics and was for the most part hiding behind being "non-political" or "both sides are bad."

I don't think most conservative men give a poo poo about their wives' political beliefs outside of wanting them to shut up about them. There are lots of reactionary right wing women out there too, but there are definitely plenty of political odd couples out there.

Re the percentage of white women voting for Trump, conservatives aren't only married to white women, nor are non-white women incapable of being conservative.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Panfilo posted:

In the dating world, especially online dating, there absolutely is a massive gender imbalance. Tinder is like 70%/30% men/women, and I suspect that skews even more for conservatives.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
One of my friends is in a one of those politicaly odd marriages. He's a progressive atheist and he's married to a conservative Christian that's very close to her MAGA family. Drives him nuts being surrounded by these people but apparently loves his wife nonetheless.

Personally I could never be in a relationship with such a huge gulf in values, or the fact that your partner will always side with their MAGA family over you.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Professor Beetus posted:

I don't think most conservative men give a poo poo about their wives' political beliefs outside of wanting them to shut up about them. There are lots of reactionary right wing women out there too, but there are definitely plenty of political odd couples out there.

So would you agree that women are more ideologically particular in either direction compared to men? I mean it makes sense on the progressive end of things, but on the conservative end of things I'm unsure if they are as particular about the convictions of a male partner. If a far right single woman is in a community surrounded by what her cohort consider "soy boys" will she compromise on her beliefs or rather remain single?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's because the center is right

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i think regressives think they (oh and their nonregressive "good ones" )are like Sam the Sheep Dog and Wile E. Coyote, they both punch out after the clock(what ever the gently caress that is.) also ignore that regressives have constant outrage of the month, week, day nano second.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Panfilo posted:

So would you agree that women are more ideologically particular in either direction compared to men? I mean it makes sense on the progressive end of things, but on the conservative end of things I'm unsure if they are as particular about the convictions of a male partner. If a far right single woman is in a community surrounded by what her cohort consider "soy boys" will she compromise on her beliefs or rather remain single?

Possibly yeah? I'm certainly seeing an uptick in women who are speaking up about not wanting to partner with men who don't view them as human beings with agency and inner lives of their own. Just on Twitter and some acquaintances though, so it's my observational impressions that aren't backed up by any data that I'm aware of.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Neo_Crimson posted:

In the dating world, especially online dating, there absolutely is a massive gender imbalance. Tinder is like 70%/30% men/women, and I suspect that skews even more for conservatives.

I think there's going to be a selection bias at play here. Men are probably more likely to date online (similar to how they are more likely to seek out women that are foreign or incarcerated) than vice versa. Conservative women are probably more likely to pair off at a younger age and stay with their partner compared to conservative men.

I know there are "conservative dating websites" (the ads for them are hilarious) but there's dating websites for tons of niche groups as well. If this was such a big issue i would have figured there would be more think pieces about it.

I think another problem is the issue of honesty (which loops back to self selection). A progressive person is more likely to answer honestly in terms of topics like their mental health, satisfaction in partners, and personal standards. Conservatives on the other hand seem very fixated on aesthetics and "fake it till you make it" so they're not going to admit to something that might make them look inferior by association. I think they are more likely to hide being unhappy if admitting that dissatisfaction goes against their ideology.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

I AM GRANDO posted:

Conservatives also compartmentalize in a severe way, where they’ll say insane, hateful poo poo at family gatherings and then be completely shocked and offended that they aren’t invited back. It’s like they expect everyone to ignore or overlook their behavior because they’re family and so would expect to do the same. Like they think their kids are communist agents destroying America but they still want them to come to Thanksgiving and treat them normally.

Like, I have friends who have cut off contact with their parents because the parents got into qanon stuff and say bigoted things and accuse my friends of being part of a conspiracy to kill children. The parents are confused and hurt that my friends don’t want be anywhere near them or allow that kind of talk near their own kids. But the parents must logically believe that their own children are dangerous, but they don’t behave that way and expect everyone to overlook those beliefs.

Yeah I'm pretty much entirely done with my father's side of the family because of this poo poo

There was a thread to discuss the growing trend of conservatives alienating their families and friends but it got locked

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Panfilo posted:

Why won't you tolerate my fascism and racism? Free speech gives me the right to say the N and F word but cancel culture is out of hand.

They say as they steamroll Dixie Chicks CD's, blackball Colin Kaepernick out of a job and make us all stand for the flag.

If I were to really dive into it, I'd posit that "cancel culture" has hit left leaning folks harder than people like Rob Schneider or Rosanne Barr. In fact, back when Roseanne "disrespected" the national anthem by not being a singer, she was social pariah #1.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 21, 2023

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/theserfstv/status/1682213409813839872

I don't see much defending him anymore, guess the rest of right wing media is fine throwing him under the bus.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

bobjr posted:

https://twitter.com/theserfstv/status/1682213409813839872

I don't see much defending him anymore, guess the rest of right wing media is fine throwing him under the bus.

Alex Jones seems to like him, but he's probably very familiar with that bus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The right wing media machine seems like it can replace anyone without a problem, as all it really needs is someone who can deliver consistent messaging. The message is always the star.