Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
If they update the Santa Cruz with a similar design they might actually compete with the Maverick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

FBS posted:

oh that rear 3/4 angle is rough

Yikes

Imagine the new Lexus GX team releases their new design, and then a month later your team drops that turd

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 17, 2023

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

there's a PHEV version with an identical door on the other side for the electrons, i think they probably did this for symmetry/cost reasons.

That can be convenient in RHD countries.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Saukkis posted:

That can be convenient in RHD countries.

i doubt they switch the location of the fuel and electron filler for markets as that has pretty big complexity implications

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

FBS posted:

Woof.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think it looks a million times better than what they sell now.

I welcome the return to boxy, death to the jelly bean.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
am I going insane? it looks fine to me.

Like a defender 130?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

FBS posted:

Saggy pants area back, baby

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

MeruFM posted:

Like a defender 130?

My 'favourite' thing about it is the lighter coloured one has the similarly pointless fake C pillar thing of the Defender. It looks odd.

General car is fine but that bit is a head scratcher.

https://twitter.com/autocar/status/1680956796687511554?t=ODBTi7yJ4npu28tKOCAv9g&s=19

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Well at least it's a frigging box, rather than the dumbass rear being compromised by a sloping rear door as per a bunch of SUV's

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

What bothers me most is that the taillights don’t line up with anything else on the car. They’re not carrying a belt line or a body molding or anything like that, they’re just kinda slapped on, way lower than anyone would expect.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
There's never been a good looking Santa Fe and never will be

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Lifted Ford Flex but with weird tailights.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The width of the rear hatch expands all t way to the very edge of each side, the width of the entire car.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
I love seeing all the weirdo Hyundai/Kia/Genesis designs out on the road. It seems like every time I see something new and interesting, it's one of theirs.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Is it a trick of the eye or does it look MASSIVE? Doesn't santa fe compete with the Rav4? At least the load floor looks super low on the hatch.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Keyser_Soze posted:

Lifted Ford Flex but with weird tailights.

The Flex was what every stupid cuv should be: boxy to maximize the usable interior volume. I applaud Hyundai for finally coming around to the idea. Agree the taillights are weird but who’s ever bought a Hyundai crossover for its looks?

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'
It's vaguely interesting looking and actually looks relatively unique for another mass market SUV thing, pretty sure that's Hyundai & Kia's main design idea at the moment. Make people look at it, even if it turns some people off.

I definitely don't understand the negative comparison to the Lexus, which to me just looks incredibly generic and boring.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Mahatma-Squid posted:

I definitely don't understand the negative comparison to the Lexus, which to me just looks incredibly generic and boring.

Lexus had to make it boring, they're going to be selling it completely un-updated in the year 2050.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Russian Bear posted:

Is it a trick of the eye or does it look MASSIVE? Doesn't santa fe compete with the Rav4? At least the load floor looks super low on the hatch.

No, that’s the Tucson

There’s also something called a Palisade that’s even bigger

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Dr. Lunchables posted:

What bothers me most is that the taillights don’t line up with anything else on the car. They’re not carrying a belt line or a body molding or anything like that, they’re just kinda slapped on, way lower than anyone would expect.

Yea this is what I was thinking, they look like Sedan height so you just have this weird flat emptiness above it but before the glass

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

i for one welcome our new boxy overlords

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Russian Bear posted:

The current Santa Fe is about halfway between a Rav4 and Highlander.

It'd make sense to embiggen the Santa Fe because the current one is a bit close to the Tucson (which is about Rav4 sized)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

FBS posted:

It's really just the low tail lights throwing off the proportions. I bet we all get used to it in like a year and then other manufacturers start copying it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I'm with the others and think it looks pretty good. Box rules.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

On the flipside to the Hyundai this looks worse quality than any shed-built kit car that was produced in the UK in the 70s

https://twitter.com/ARTofCOOP/status/1681054644049682432?t=bmPQcpCfWkNcmQEDOUTA1g&s=19

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Up to Tesla's usual high standards. Also lmao that Twitter hid that as "sensitive content".

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Midjack posted:

Up to Tesla's usual high standards. Also lmao that Twitter hid that as "sensitive content".

lmao not a few minutes ago it wasn't flagged as sensitive with the embed

I'm glad twitter is dead

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
At least it's not a stupid "coupe SUV".

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

'Coupe pickup truck' is even worse though

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

KillHour posted:

It's really just the low tail lights throwing off the proportions. I bet we all get used to it in like a year and then other manufacturers start copying it.

And watch them still put the turn signal way down on the lower bumper.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The Model Y was the best selling car in the world in Q1 and has no buttons. People here complain but the larger car buying public mostly doesn’t give a poo poo except when the implementation is notably horrible.

People will accept pretty much everything perceived high status brands will tell them to accept. As evidenced by pretty much all the new subscription models, new tech etc.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Midjack posted:

He’s such a petty rear end in a top hat lmao

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

MrOnBicycle posted:

People will accept pretty much everything perceived high status brands will tell them to accept. As evidenced by pretty much all the new subscription models, new tech etc.
illuminated emblems.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

looks like one of those paintings Hitler did as an art student where the perspective is all off.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Saggy butt

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

darnon posted:

And watch them still put the turn signal way down on the lower bumper.

Goddamn you’re probably right

Ugh.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Nah it looks like they're a single strip of LEDs in the reflector/fogs above those. Strip is right at the top.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

From Reddit

I actually kinda like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Yes i guess that inward kink at the rear bottom half doesn't photograph well from 3/4 view.