Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

idonotlikepeas posted:

Jeff Danziger

"Hahahaha lots of people in the Southwest are gonna die from the extreme heat, I'd better mock them from my relative safety in Vermont!"

Seriously, gently caress you Jeff Danziger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

"Hahahaha lots of people in the Southwest are gonna die from the extreme heat, I'd better mock them from my relative safety in Vermont!"

It's referring to the fact that Vermont has had catastrophic flooding, causing at least one death.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Discendo Vox posted:

It's referring to the fact that Vermont has had catastrophic flooding, causing at least one death.

Is it? I prefer my interpretation, but that may be because I live in the Southwest in an older building without central air conditioning.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Were the student-debt-havers guest drawn by Øyvind Thorsby?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Is it? I prefer my interpretation, but that may be because I live in the Southwest in an older building without central air conditioning.

This is the capital of Vermont about a week ago:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Discendo Vox posted:

This is the capital of Vermont about a week ago:

Well then
:goofy:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The agenda is to the right. Too easy.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Kellies Nomination: Ugliest Cartoon

The artist forgot to draw the chairs in which the melting wax dummies are supposed to be seated.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Nothing is as sinister as a list of things to do. Only a true villain has an agenda :latestfad:

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Xiahou Dun posted:

Or why there's a squirrel.

There was a recent news item about 'splooting' which is apparently what they do to keep cool:

https://www.npr.org/2023/06/29/1185092056/squirrels-splooting-heat-wave-climate-change

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: Grate Debate

Quote on the page same as in comic.

First Dog on the Moon: The northern hemisphere is on fire! The temperature records being broken are record-breaking!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: Grate Debate

Quote on the page same as in comic.
Centrism is when Joe Biden is going to jail too

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Bob Gorrell

Chip Bok

Chris Britt

Gary Markstein

Gary Varvel

John Deering

Marshall Ramsey

Michael Ramirez

Mike Luckovich

Tom Stiglich

Skios fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jul 19, 2023

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

ZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Skios posted:

John Deering

Marshall Ramsey

Michael Ramirez

Mike Luckovich

You double posted, twice. A double double.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
gently caress! Fixed it :bang:.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

Tom revealing his fetishes

Skios posted:

Gary Varvel

Is it just me, or is Varvel getting more and more unhinged lately? First was that "Biden literally eats babies" cartoon, and now he's saying Kamala is a loving Terminator.

JamesBont fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jul 19, 2023

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah, over the last few years Varvel has gone from “mediocre GOP shill” to “almost QAnon levels of extreme right-wing conspiracy beliefs.” How much of that is him being released from the Indianapolis Star, I don’t know - whether he had an editor pushing back on his worst stuff, or he’s gone rightward in search of a regular audience, or maybe it has nothing to do with that and he’s just getting more extreme from watching NewsMax.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Literally eating babies is what you make a villain do in a bad movie to let the audience know which person to hate, and conservatives think TV and movies are real.

Biden has gotten countless kids killed in his career, for example his vote to invade Iraq, and will continue to get kids killed long after he's gone, for example he's shipping cluster munitions to Ukraine right now. But all of that is indirect child-killing so conservatives have to tell each other he's sauteeing infants with a Dijon mustard sauce and serving them up on a bed of arugula in order to understand that he's the villain in their movie.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Speaking of eating babies, Tats is still on about surrogacy and apparently Amazon traffics babies and even delivers to Hell. So convenient!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Don't fall for those Amazon babies, the market's quality has really dropped.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Literally eating babies is what you make a villain do in a bad movie to let the audience know which person to hate, and conservatives think TV and movies are real.

Along this line, I heard a radio piece recently which was mostly about the satanic panic around D&D, but the speaker offered an idea that has been living rent free in my brain ever since. His idea is that it's very important to practice imagination, because imagining the world other as it is allows you to imagine ways to change it, or pretending to be someone else can help you gain insight on yourself.

But the flip side of that is that if you grow up in an environment where imagination is discouraged or dismissed as "escaping from reality" or even, as in some very evangelical Christian sects, seen as dangerous (if you imagine a demon then a real demon will come and get you, therefore reading a book with a demon will put your soul in danger), then you grow up without ever having learned how to imagine something that isn't true.

And then if you don't know how to entertain an idea that is not true, then it's harder to critically examine the truth of your beliefs and reject what is false, and it's very easy to fall into conspiracy thinking because whatever you can think of must therefore be real.

My mother grew up partly in a very conservative religious environment (salvation army; honestly she is still unpacking a lot of that) and the other day I shared this with her and I got a whole lot of stuff in return about her childhood that I'd never heard because this resonated so much with how she was taught to behave and think.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

"Hahahaha lots of people in the Southwest are gonna die from the extreme heat*, I'd better mock them from my relative safety in Vermont!"

:latestfad:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

RoboRodent posted:

But the flip side of that is that if you grow up in an environment where imagination is discouraged or dismissed as "escaping from reality" or even, as in some very evangelical Christian sects, seen as dangerous (if you imagine a demon then a real demon will come and get you, therefore reading a book with a demon will put your soul in danger), then you grow up without ever having learned how to imagine something that isn't true.

And then if you don't know how to entertain an idea that is not true, then it's harder to critically examine the truth of your beliefs and reject what is false, and it's very easy to fall into conspiracy thinking because whatever you can think of must therefore be real.
Yeah that makes a lot of sense.

I think it also plays into the whole idea of narrative truth and material truth, things that are true in stories and things that are true in reality. And then you get people like Alex Jones and Ben Garrison who corrupt that distinction on purpose and then go "it's just entertainment bro, it's an act" when called out on it.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
how long has that been a smilie*?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Daniel Christie on Suella Braverman and her barge - Warnings issued over Tory migration bill as Bibby Stockholm arrives at Portland in Dorset"

Telegraph:

"Our pay offer to junior doctors is more than reasonable": John Glen, Chief Secretary to the Treasury; Barbie, review: Ryan Gosling steals the show in the most improbable triumph of the year

Matt:

Independent:

University Challenge review: Amol Rajan is a natural as he takes up the baton from Jeremy Paxman

Times:

Evening Standard:

Inflation falls further than expected in June; What happened to Tim Shaddock? Lost sailor rescued off the Mexican coast

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

RoboRodent posted:

There's a whole book analyzing this phenomenon and the Christian backlash to D&D, Dangerous Games by Joseph Laycock, that I'd recommend you check out. It's a really dense academic book with a lot of takeaways, but one of them is that American Evangelicals get really uncomfortable with the concept of someone only acting as if they believe something in a fictional context, for this exact reason.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

There's a whole book analyzing this phenomenon and the Christian backlash to D&D, Dangerous Games by Joseph Laycock, that I'd recommend you check out. It's a really dense academic book with a lot of takeaways, but one of them is that American Evangelicals get really uncomfortable with the concept of someone only acting as if they believe something in a fictional context, for this exact reason.

I can handle dense academia. I'll check it out, thanks!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

American Evangelicals get really uncomfortable with the concept of someone only acting as if they believe something in a fictional context, for this exact reason.
Which is interesting because Fred Clark made a very good case about some of the more improbable Evangelical urban myths that they were doing exactly that, and then getting outraged when even mildly called out on it.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Guavanaut posted:

Which is interesting because Fred Clark made a very good case about some of the more improbable Evangelical urban myths that they were doing exactly that, and then getting outraged when even mildly called out on it.

I don't think the book ever explicitly says it, but I definitely got the impression while reading it that the idea that someone can merely pretend to believe something for emotional benefit hits a little too close to home for the more-performative Strong Christian Warriors out there.

Like, there are definitely those who, like RoboRodent said, were raised in such a manner so that they have a hard time reconciling the idea that someone could say something with seeming conviction that they don't really mean. Then there are those that are incredibly familiar with the idea, they just don't like talking about it.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Skios posted:

Bob Gorrell

If the secret service wanted to cover up cocaine for Hunter Biden wouldn’t they just…not have reported finding the cocaine?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Dr. VooDoo posted:

If the secret service wanted to cover up cocaine for Hunter Biden wouldn’t they just…not have reported finding the cocaine?
Cocaine decisions
You are a fed guy doing a snow job
Be it West Wing coke or a Clinton’s blow job
Where the cocaine decisions that you make today
Will mean that millions somewhere else
Will go vote your way

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Well you see, the answer is always the cognitive dissonance of "There's good FBI agents/troops/cops and bad ones."
Obviously the good ones reported it, only to be stymied by the bad ones who munch on their vegan cigar and tell them to drop the case.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

the_steve posted:

Well you see, the answer is always the cognitive dissonance of "There's good FBI agents/troops/cops and bad ones."
Obviously the good ones reported it, only to be stymied by the bad ones who munch on their vegan cigar and tell them to drop the case.

This was Alex Jones' take on it. That the good secret service officers that are tired of the Bidens reported it over the public airwaves so it could no longer be covered up.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

duz posted:

This was Alex Jones' take on it. That the good secret service officers that are tired of the Bidens reported it over the public airwaves so it could no longer be covered up.

I remember a Jordan Klepper clip where he was at a Trump rally and everyone he talked to was all "Trump is still the president. Biden isn't."

So then Klepper started asking the usual Gotchas like "Ok, so Trump is still in charge of the military, so that means he did *thing conservatives don't like*?"

"No, no, that was Biden. There's the good military, that Trump is still in charge of, but then there's the bad military, and those are the ones who listen to Biden."

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

World Famous W posted:

how long has that been a smilie*?

The answer is "forever but I only noticed it just now"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

the_steve posted:

I remember a Jordan Klepper clip where he was at a Trump rally and everyone he talked to was all "Trump is still the president. Biden isn't."

So then Klepper started asking the usual Gotchas like "Ok, so Trump is still in charge of the military, so that means he did *thing conservatives don't like*?"

"No, no, that was Biden. There's the good military, that Trump is still in charge of, but then there's the bad military, and those are the ones who listen to Biden."

Same thing they were doing throughout his presidency.

Trump is MAGAing everywhere and defeating the Democrats on every front and is the best president ever. So Trump banned bumpstocks then? Nope that was the Deep State. He just stopped caring about locking her up? Nope, foiled by the Deep State. Ok but Trump authorized the CDC mask guidance? Nope, Deep State again. But Trump definitely fast-tracked the vaccine right, he bragged about that? Hmm sorry still the Deep State.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

It's amazing how these people have no concept of Occam's razor. Like given the location that the coke was found it was 90% a dumb tourist, 10% a low level staffer. When these people come home to a turd on the carpet and the dog hasn't been walked do they concoct a story about how someone must have broken in and planted it while meticulously covering their tracks?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Of course, what do you think Joe Biden is doing when he isn't eating babies and not being president because that's a hologram?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

The Voice referendum pamhplet being sent to voters. The Uluru Statement from the Heart is the petition that called for the Voice.

Rowe:

Constitutional lawyer Greg Craven furious after being quoted in Voice to Parliament No pamphlet (ABC).
Anthony Albanese's heated interview with Ben Fordham (SBS) where Albanese accused the presenter of "reading from the 'No' pamphlet" in a 38 minute interview.

Knight:

Spooner: