Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Jonny Nox posted:

It’s funny, the comment was meant as a joke, I didn’t mean to kick off a discussion

it's good for people to know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Spanish Manlove posted:

Why use the old paints instead of modern ones that cover well and have colors that are just as vibrant if not more vibrant?

Because more translucent paint is better for layering and some people (me) prefer them

It's why I'm the weirdo that prefers Army Painter Warpaints over "better" ranges, they behave like mid-late 90s citadel colour paints

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Southern Heel posted:

Here are my new old style epic Marines, I just can’t decide on a colour scheme:

The beauty of 6 8 6mm is that it's a lot easier to just be indecisive and paint multiple schemes.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
currently designing space marine colors, what do you guys think of this?

Sadly, try as I might despite that I'm probably going with a 'lion el-johnson' led army I cant bring myself to use green for my space marine army, I like blue far too much, I'm gonna try to keep with my general idea to use islamic teals and blues with the hand motif, with tan-brown highlights.

I'll try some other combinations, but this one is a little closer to my tastes.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Al-Saqr posted:

Sadly, try as I might despite that I'm probably going with a 'lion el-johnson' led army I cant bring myself to use green for my space marine army, I like blue far too much, I'm gonna try to keep with my general idea to use islamic teals and blues with the hand motif, with tan-brown highlights.

I really like the blue, but I dunno about the grey, looks a little drab or flat to me?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Al-Saqr posted:

It would be a serious test of your free hand, but what about doing azulejo tile designs instead of the tan colors?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

I really like the blue, but I dunno about the grey, looks a little drab or flat to me?

You mean the tan parts? I agree i think they look kinda dull, i guess ill try an off white or white, i just dont wanna be too ultramarinish, i tried the teal but it looked a little too much, ill come up with some more options and get back to you

Spanish Manlove posted:

It would be a serious test of your free hand, but what about doing azulejo tile designs instead of the tan colors?

I guess i can try just making the tan parts white or slighly off white. But lol i could never do azulejo

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Just based off a quick google, I now want to try doing azulejo even if I'm terrible at free-handing! Do y'all think it would be feasible to try to sketch the outlines in a fine-point sharpie or something first, and then paint in the lines afterward? I'm trying to think of ways to make it a little easier to free hand since I can't really print transfers to order.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Al-Saqr posted:

I like the colours overall, darker red & tan & teal all work together well as a set. Kind of hard to pick what I'd aim for with the exact shades from just a mockup (particularly the main blue, going to be tricky finding the right one for that), though I do think I would be doing something like this with a very matte finish. I might also try putting the skull and wing symbols on the chest and gun in the tan for some other mockup and seeing if you like that.

Maybe also try; the hands in blue, and the wrist section in tan?

A last thing not colour related, the little roundel on the helmet could be an issue later... there's the minor aspect of a lot of marines having the little rank skull there taking up that area, and then there's... like, even for someone like me who does a bit of freehand on most models, committing to doing that neatly and consistently three? times per marine per however many marines is not going to be a thrilling part of the process.

e:

Arcturas posted:

Just based off a quick google, I now want to try doing azulejo even if I'm terrible at free-handing! Do y'all think it would be feasible to try to sketch the outlines in a fine-point sharpie or something first, and then paint in the lines afterward? I'm trying to think of ways to make it a little easier to free hand since I can't really print transfers to order.

YMMV on how much going from brush to pen will help, but if you want to try something like that, look at gundam marker/panel liner, paint pen sort of stuff. The more serious artist targeted type of fineliner and so on are mostly not going to want to draw on a painted surface, and purportedly waterproof or permanent inks aren't 100% going to take being painted over either.

Assessor of Maat fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 18, 2023

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

WIP on this Fyreslayer. Not sure about the color choices. I'm happy with the fire, hair and skin, but I'm wondering about the cloak. I kinda like it, but could use some input.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Three out of five Demonship minis done

Just have the two Blade Demons left. Right now they're red, but I dunno, I might redo them in orange to keep things bright.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Verisimilidude posted:

WIP on this Fyreslayer. Not sure about the color choices. I'm happy with the fire, hair and skin, but I'm wondering about the cloak. I kinda like it, but could use some input.

it rules. keep it as is.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Verisimilidude posted:

Your mini appears to have caught fire. Might wanna take care of that.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Verisimilidude posted:

You made teal and burgundy work, take the W

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Base him up, job’s a good’un.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
So far I've been doing base coats of citadel (Russ Grey) like back in the day and I'm wondering if things would look better primed properly. I'm not really in a situation where I can gently caress about with spray paint so I'll probably get some to brush on? Only thing I'm wondering is if that's something safe to do and let dry indoors?

If not I'll stick with my paints. Not having access to a garage or a garden is a bit limiting..

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Just brush prime

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

the Vallejo primers brush on fairly well, and doing a black all-over prime followed by grey and white drybrushes is a pretty effective alternative to a Zenithal.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Thanks, got some on the way

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

tried a bunch of color schemes using an app that uses only vallejo paints, the tan is too dull so I went with a blue-green teal, trying both blue and ultramarine, which one to you guys think is best overall?

the app isnt specific enough for every little bit so there might be some differences like wrists and fingers and such.

I think overall I like 4 the best, that's probably the scheme I'll go with.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Make the teal color less saturated, it has a problem where there's almost no tonal contrast between the two.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

tried a bunch of color schemes using an app that uses only vallejo paints, the tan is too dull so I went with a blue-green teal, trying both blue and ultramarine, which one to you guys think is best overall?

the app isnt specific enough for every little bit so there might be some differences like wrists and fingers and such.

I think overall I like 4 the best, that's probably the scheme I'll go with.

I would try doing a test model first. I see a lot of these schemes posted and they rarely come to fruition because they’re so complicated. Try painting one model and see if it’s feasible for you to paint a whole squad in that color pattern.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Make the teal color less saturated, it has a problem where there's almost no tonal contrast between the two.

ok! now I think it's coming together! the desaturated teal looks much better!

now I'll actually try painting one of my intercessors as an actual trial run and see what happens!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Whichever you choose I think you're going in the right direction; I know you're not trying to please me specifically but for whatever it's worth I like these a lot more. I prefer either one or four, the middle two have too much teal. I don't actually see the difference between one and four? I've thumbed back and forth several times like one of those spot the difference games, I'm going to feel silly when someone points it out.

I had wanted to ask the thread for advice; I need to pick out the plasma coil bits on some imperial fists and I stupidly painted the whole plasma gun black, if I'm careful to leave the coils white going forward it should be easier.

So, what are the basic steps to go from black to a reddish orange in a few steps? Grey to brown to orange?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Verisimilidude posted:

I would try doing a test model first. I see a lot of these schemes posted and they rarely come to fruition because they’re so complicated. Try painting one model and see if it’s feasible for you to paint a whole squad in that color pattern.

I would second this sentiment; I am painting the Space Marines I have up to match what my son thought would be the coolest looking. They have a main color with knee areas, hands, helmets, shoulder pad accents in a different color. It is actually a little bit of a pain in the rear end to paint them, and had they been more unicolor I think I would have many, many more done by now. That being said I kind of like the scheme my son chose.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Female space marines? God I’m so angry (cool scheme btw)

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Female space marines? God I’m so angry (cool scheme btw)

Thanks! I was really unsure about it at the start, but as my painting has improved I think they are starting to look pretty good. I even made a matching display board for them, I will upload a picture of sometime.

My next 40k Army I think is some aquatic themed death guard minis I found to print out. I found a plagueburst crawler that looks like a crab! There is a whole line of "dredge" themed death guard that I am super interested in. I really enjoy 3d printing, but when I make stuff a lot of time I am looking for really distinct and unique versions of an army, almost a re-imagination (except for my DKOK), and death guard seems to almost always be trapped in one specific aesthetic, so this underwater one really calls to me.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Still practicing on random minis I found in the attic. This HeroQuest Chaos wizard was missing a hand but I had an old zombie hand to repair him.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

chaos wizard swole as hell

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

you don't get lats that huge without potions

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I've been putting some transfers on my Thousand Sons by brushing some Pledge in place of Ardcoat or similar first for adhesion. Got them on okay, but the shoulder is noticeably glossier than the rest of the mini. So a few things:

Will things even out if I spray a matt varnish over the whole thing? I guess Ardcoat or a cheaper alternative from another brand.

If I elect to make the whole thing glossy, which may be no bad thing as it's metallic, can I run Pledge through an airbrush okay? Dunno if I should mask the tabards or maybe just brush it on.

What's a good alternative to GW Ardcoat? And will a matt finish look right on metallics?

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

BizarroAzrael posted:

I've been putting some transfers on my Thousand Sons by brushing some Pledge in place of Ardcoat or similar first for adhesion. Got them on okay, but the shoulder is noticeably glossier than the rest of the mini. So a few things:

Will things even out if I spray a matt varnish over the whole thing? I guess Ardcoat or a cheaper alternative from another brand.

If I elect to make the whole thing glossy, which may be no bad thing as it's metallic, can I run Pledge through an airbrush okay? Dunno if I should mask the tabards or maybe just brush it on.

What's a good alternative to GW Ardcoat? And will a matt finish look right on metallics?

I would recommend doing another coat of pledge to even out the edges of the transfer so they appear to sit flush with the model and to make sure it is fully adhered, then spraying with matt varnish. I've had instances where I have applied gloss/pledge, applied then transfer then sprayed matt varnish and the transfer has come partially/fully off the model, or the solvent from the tin of varnish has melted parts of the transfer. Case in point:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Finished this slayer, and trying to work out some photos with a different colored background as well.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I would second this sentiment; I am painting the Space Marines I have up to match what my son thought would be the coolest looking. They have a main color with knee areas, hands, helmets, shoulder pad accents in a different color. It is actually a little bit of a pain in the rear end to paint them, and had they been more unicolor I think I would have many, many more done by now. That being said I kind of like the scheme my son chose.

Hell Yeah Purple Marines!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
painting some more 6mm shanty houses

a little shanty:

graffiti covered building:

taxi building and some more graffiti:

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Nebalebadingdong posted:

a little shanty:

Is that freehand?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

notaspy posted:

Is that freehand?

yes

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Nebalebadingdong posted:

a little shanty:

I never knew I wanted to play 6mm Necromunda until now

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Big Willy Style posted:

I would recommend doing another coat of pledge to even out the edges of the transfer so they appear to sit flush with the model and to make sure it is fully adhered, then spraying with matt varnish. I've had instances where I have applied gloss/pledge, applied then transfer then sprayed matt varnish and the transfer has come partially/fully off the model, or the solvent from the tin of varnish has melted parts of the transfer. Case in point:

Thanks, but I think that looks cool! So another layer of Pledge will smooth it out? Because they look a little uneven (can't feel it under my finger though) but I was waiting on some Microsol/set to deal with that, will more Pledge just sort it out?

Here's the squad, quite pleased with the desert bases but think I can get them better going forward, although I've just noticed this angle doesn't show much of the cracked earth on them. Can do a little more with the tabards I think, I just don't want it to be a very sharp contrast, just add a little shape to them. Going to add the scarab markings from the TS/Space Wolf 30k sheet to the other shoulders but will need to get the big £20 legion sheet for other squads. Although I was thinking I might use other colours than gold on the shoulders as a squad marking.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I see everyone talking about Pledge floor varnish, but I can't seem to find it on Amazon for less than like $60, which seems like not what you're actually talking about. Would something like QUICK SHINE 64 oz. Floor Polish Finish, available from my local Home Depot for $12-ish, be the same? I'd love to have a paint-on gloss varnish but I am not thrilled with the idea of spending $60 for it.