Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Games Forum posted:

I can never understand spending 200 hours in three weeks to then decry the game bad. That will always blow my mind.

the thing about live service games is that they can just decide to change the game in a way that you, the player, find very unfun, and you have to download that patch or you can't play anymore. the damage is whatever, they need to add more buckets and put multiple things in each bucket but it's not game ruining as is. what is game ruining, to me, is taking away all the other options of leveling that isn't specifically the thing they want you to do, when they want you to do it.

the core gameplay loop is still good, and players who are looking to invest 20-50 hours over a season will still have a great time I'm sure. I still feel like I got my money's worth from the time I spent, and hope they figure out what people actually enjoy in an arpg so I can continue to enjoy their product. it's basically a solo self found game. it's not hurting anybody else if some freak wants to bore themselves to death on strongholds, or if someone wants to grind events in the overworld for their xp & obols. just let people play how they want and make it reasonable to get to a high level without turning the game into a job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Found the rare person who is so mad that they will be playing the game even more instead of quitting to get back at Blizzard. He hasn't been playing for the last two weeks because he perfected his build and gear, but now he has to go back and start playing again because the knowledge that his eternal realm character (that he did not play anymore) might not be optimized anymore was killing him.

quote:

Blizz, I have spent hundreds of hours in D3 to perfect my build. I have a level 100 Sorc with items that were nearly perfect that took hours and hours to acquire. I have not played for the last two weeks, but I had a level 100 character and I could show it to people and know that I could take it out and drop uber lilith with him. Just when I was getting excited for season 1 you change the game up and nerf the stats that you required to make builds good before. Now I should be enjoying season 1 but I have to spend hundreds of more hours working on my sorc to regear and respec because of your terrible loving decision. I was done playing and back to enjoying my life and feeling good about my sorc being there and now I have to drop all of it to "fix" a character that you broke because you were trying to "fix" your own broken damage. I was going to play season 1, but now I am going to have to spend hours regearing my sorc on the eternal realm and it will be halfway through season 1 by the time I get it right again. There will be no point. You just lost a season 1 player.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Saltpowered posted:

The Diablo 4 team clearly ignored all those company learnings and are still pursuing the mobile game metrics and dragging out content. They are going to have to go through the same cycle of failure as D3 and WoW to realize that if you just make a game fun, the other metrics will come with it. Their player base is justifiably much more frustrated this time though because Blizzard steps on this same loving rake over and over again.

You made me realize that Blizzard really wanted to use Diablo Immortal as a test run for what D4 would be, got enormous blowback for it and what we have now is going to be ugly compromises driven by the suits at the top.

Ouch.

"Engagement Metrics" are a curse upon the industry.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Doomykins posted:

Predicting an endless chain of "it'll be better next season" until the first expac lands.

i mean this isn't just me hoping. it's literally what they said in their blog on seasons, so if they lied there will be a shitstorm lmao

here it is: https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo4/23816415/diablo-iv-quarterly-update-august-2022

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I generally hate reddit, but they're on a roll.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Tonetta posted:

the thing about live service games is that they can just decide to change the game in a way that you, the player, find very unfun, and you have to download that patch or you can't play anymore. the damage is whatever, they need to add more buckets and put multiple things in each bucket but it's not game ruining as is. what is game ruining, to me, is taking away all the other options of leveling that isn't specifically the thing they want you to do, when they want you to do it.

the core gameplay loop is still good, and players who are looking to invest 20-50 hours over a season will still have a great time I'm sure. I still feel like I got my money's worth from the time I spent, and hope they figure out what people actually enjoy in an arpg so I can continue to enjoy their product. it's basically a solo self found game. it's not hurting anybody else if some freak wants to bore themselves to death on strongholds, or if someone wants to grind events in the overworld for their xp & obols. just let people play how they want and make it reasonable to get to a high level without turning the game into a job

I agree completely, I was just referencing the dude from early on in this threads biggest blow up. It was a series of posts that made me laugh a lot. :)

I get it because of Team Fortress 2. A number of changes have happened over the 15 years I have been playing that have fundamentally changed what I enjoyed. I did adapt and do still get a lot of fun out of it, and I just have to believe that while some patches may make things worse, this does not mean it is permanent and they will be unable to counter with more fun things.

We are only a month in to the game existing. I foresee a long time for it to exist and build.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

quote:

Blizz, I have spent hundreds of hours in D3 to perfect my build. I have a level 100 Sorc with items that were nearly perfect that took hours and hours to acquire. I have not played for the last two weeks, but I had a level 100 character and I could show it to people and know that I could take it out and drop uber lilith with him. Just when I was getting excited for season 1 you change the game up and nerf the stats that you required to make builds good before. Now I should be enjoying season 1 but I have to spend hundreds of more hours working on my sorc to regear and respec because of your terrible loving decision. I was done playing and back to enjoying my life and feeling good about my sorc being there and now I have to drop all of it to "fix" a character that you broke because you were trying to "fix" your own broken damage. I was going to play season 1, but now I am going to have to spend hours regearing my sorc on the eternal realm and it will be halfway through season 1 by the time I get it right again. There will be no point. You just lost a season 1 player.

This guy is gonna play so much season 1 its gonna be surreal

I believe people are having trouble wrapping their brains around how good this game is. Like, mechanics don't matter, numbers don't matter, you are all going to lose hundreds of hours to this game for many many seasons to come, its just what it is. Better come to terms with it, we have Diablo 4 and it is good. Nobody expected it, granted, but thats just the 2023 reality we face

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Found the rare person who is so mad that they will be playing the game even more instead of quitting to get back at Blizzard. He hasn't been playing for the last two weeks because he perfected his build and gear, but now he has to go back and start playing again because the knowledge that his eternal realm character (that he did not play anymore) might not be optimized anymore was killing him.

quote:

You just lost a season 1 player.

lmao

spotted another 200 hours in two weeks superstar

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Guy self owned by playing D4.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
We have made the game bad on purpose as a joke.

Lol at spending $70 to beta test a game for blizzard.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
A free refund everything respec would have been nice with the patch. I guess at this point I should just accept we won't get loadouts and the plan is that I'll build different characters specifically for different things and then in a year or so I can choose which one to play if I want to go off and do like Lilith or PvP or push ND instead of pootling about in the new season.

If it takes a long time to get the right gear to do a hard thing, then it shouldn't be a surprise that people might want to pop back to eternal occasionally to say hi to previous toons - especially if you were able to spend more time on one or lucked into some perfect rolls on kit. It will be nice to have the seasonal one to break things up and have a cast to rotate through, and will at least give more variety available to choosing what to do when I have an hour to spare.

I very much look forward to this thread entertaining me with the reactions to the fireside chat. Will the toupee return? That needs to be on the bingo card imho.

Also I would like the return of Sanctuary Law & Order please. Did the Barbarian win his appeal based on claims of undue Tree Influence?!?

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
are all the people that play this game to level 100 as damaged as that dude

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Rock Puncher posted:

I don't even mean this as a joke or insult but that's regular WoW player numbers.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Rock Puncher posted:

some dude from reddit posted all 5 classes 100 on his character select screen but cba to find it

what a fun haver

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
D4 isn’t too bad for an MMO but I prefer the pace of destiny or FFXIV, maybe a bit more social stuff and some dungeons we could group up for could go a long way.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

ClydeFrog posted:

A free refund everything respec would have been nice with the patch. I guess at this point I should just accept we won't get loadouts and the plan is that I'll build different characters specifically for different things and then in a year or so I can choose which one to play if I want to go off and do like Lilith or PvP or push ND instead of pootling about in the new season.

If it takes a long time to get the right gear to do a hard thing, then it shouldn't be a surprise that people might want to pop back to eternal occasionally to say hi to previous toons - especially if you were able to spend more time on one or lucked into some perfect rolls on kit. It will be nice to have the seasonal one to break things up and have a cast to rotate through, and will at least give more variety available to choosing what to do when I have an hour to spare.

I very much look forward to this thread entertaining me with the reactions to the fireside chat. Will the toupee return? That needs to be on the bingo card imho.

Also I would like the return of Sanctuary Law & Order please. Did the Barbarian win his appeal based on claims of undue Tree Influence?!?

did they even add a way to respec paragon less annoyingly yet? like let you click on the entrance gate to a board, confirm it, and refund the entire board to that gate?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Sloober posted:

did they even add a way to respec paragon less annoyingly yet? like let you click on the entrance gate to a board, confirm it, and refund the entire board to that gate?

You click each one. Do you want the game to play itself for you or something?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

It would be nice if this poo poo show resulted in a global reduction of cooldowns, because cooldowns suck

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

flashman posted:

You click each one. Do you want the game to play itself for you or something?

yes

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

hawowanlawow posted:

It would be nice if this poo poo show resulted in a global reduction of cooldowns, because cooldowns suck

Nah they just nerfed the cooldown reduction affix producing the exact opposite result

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The mathil review of the patch is pretty brutal and he’s an optimist in arpg terms

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I think the nerfs to damage would be fine if they hadn't made more severe nerfs to defense that was already pretty shaky.

Like the whole point of playing Diablo or any ARPG really is to work at getting gear to get stupid powerful to do stupid stuff. It's almost like they don't understand the core of the game they made. :psyduck:

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Are the helltides fixed or should I just wait with those?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Djarum posted:

I think the nerfs to damage would be fine if they hadn't made more severe nerfs to defense that was already pretty shaky.

Like the whole point of playing Diablo or any ARPG really is to work at getting gear to get stupid powerful to do stupid stuff. It's almost like they don't understand the core of the game they made. :psyduck:

They are needing now for powerful builds that are in the future (maybe ?) It’s really bizarre

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

MYbe diablo 3 (cookie clicker simulator) is more your speed.. Diablo 4 is for gamers onlu

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
Alas no there bafflingly remains no ability to one press *delete all*. It's such a chore on console. I imagine that every thunk sound it makes is actually a Dev chortling somewhere.

Also please alphabetise aspect sorting.

I feel like wanting the means of a sort function output to be directly useful isn't too big an ask.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Genuinely don't know how anyone doesn't get bored of a character long before they have enough paragon for more than, like, two boards, which saves a lot of clicking to respec.

hawowanlawow posted:

I also agree with this. Between the build-->spend loop, all the fun skills being on timers that are now harder to shorten, and loot being more of a chore than a dopamine hit, I don't know, it just feels a bit off to me.

Enigma fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 19, 2023

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Just fix resistances...

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Loot filters and search functions reduce time in game, an important metric. I'm not sure you understand game dev

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

ClydeFrog posted:

Alas no there bafflingly remains no ability to one press *delete all*. It's such a chore on console. I imagine that every thunk sound it makes is actually a Dev chortling somewhere.

Also please alphabetise aspect sorting.

I feel like wanting the means of a sort function output to be directly useful isn't too big an ask.

the sort button is very fun because it thinks you want it sorted in a way nobody wants it sorted. when i first used it i expected it to plunk the same aspect next to each other. it was not that case

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

flashman posted:

Loot filters and search functions reduce time in game, an important metric. I'm not sure you understand game dev

Your stash was placed far away from all the vendors in order to reduce power creep.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
there is a campaign to review bomb it now lmao

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

euphronius posted:

The mathil review of the patch is pretty brutal and he’s an optimist in arpg terms

Dunno who that is but he probably used a build guide :smug:

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Diablo Snore

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Just looked at these patch notes.

The biggest problem d4 has is that the devs for some reason essentially want to nerf everything into the ground. Instead of looking a spreadsheet of numbers, figuring out where the numbers are suffering the most, and fixing those numbers, they look at where the numbers are thriving the most and reduce those numbers. They've done it HUNDREDS, if not THOUSANDS of times in the less than 2 months the game has been live (even more if you count the betas leading up the launch). It's just the biggest instance of 'no fun allowed' i've seen from devs in a really long time.

On top of that, the loot system is confusing. The item power indicator is effectively worseless because it measuring max possible rolls but not percent of max, or if the rolls themselves are even useful. The class-based uniques mostly suck, and never drop. The super rare and somewhat interersting uniques could have their drop rate multiplied by TEN and you'd still never see one in thousands of hours. Ten. They are trying to artificially pad the amount of time players are playing by making the game less fun rather than give those players more things (even if just superficial) to make them want to stick around for 100+ hours every season.

It's no fun all around. I wanted to log today to finish off the small amount of rep I need to max out my s0 character, but i'm not really feeling motivated. I think i'll just start a V Rising character again and wait for the 3 or 4 big August releases in other games.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

mathil is the closest thing to a goon in the ARPG streaming world

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
diablo 4 minutes to walk between the stash and blacksmith

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I don’t think it’s that bad at all.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the Tetris effect but it's me waiting two more seconds to pick up my coffee cup and take a sip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

This game sounds like it sucks rear end. Glad I didnt buy or play it at all ha ha