Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

I don't know who this guy is but he is way more fit than any goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Well there's your first problem. We regularly encourage new players coming from Diablo not to play hc. In d2 sand d3 you always knew what killed you. There wasn't that much on the screen, there weren't crazy interactions, and there were very few "gotcha" moments. Poe is significantly more complicated, and it's much, much easier to instantly die and have no idea what happened (if you're new). For better or worse, there's just a lot more moving pieces that make death more common and more inscrutable for the uninitiated.

There's tons of bosses in the game of various difficulties. There's bosses at the end of maps that are equivalent to fighting a rare mob, and there's six pinnacle bosses in the vein of Uber Lilith. What you're capable of killing depends on your build, gear, and skill. Some people will get 5 hours into maps and find excellent gear on a busted build and start clearing the hardest content, and other people will play sub par builds that they gear poorly that will never make it to the extreme end of content.

The beauty of it all is that it's a very long treadmill. You're always improving your gear and seeing very clearly how much stronger you're getting, and getting rewarded for progressing through content.

As for d4 I'm going to play season 1 and won't have a sense of comparison, since I didn't play pre-patch, but it's obvious that their goal was to severely slow everyone down in a game that was already pretty slow. Maybe it was needed for long term health and maybe it wasn't, but giving players absolutely no treats to get excited about was a tremendous fumble. I remember the 3.15 Poe patch people are comparing this to, and they were very different. Those changes were not only mostly necessary, they explained them all as they were made to try and illuminate the decision making process. Some ended up getting walked back but not all. And it was dropping alongside a new season with a bunch of new content to look forward to

yeah but i found HC fun so i kept playing it. Didn't really care for getting on the treadmill and was happy enough to stop playing when I got pissed off at dying, then come back a year later and do it again. I've clocked at least 200 hours in that game without ever seeing most of its content. I'm fine with that, but it does piss off my friends who think I hate arpgs cause I don't really care for item farming

In comparison I played D4 for about 40-50 hours I guess, however long it takes to get to around level 65. I spent like $10 on POE and bought the sucker edition of d4

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Well there's your first problem. We regularly encourage new players coming from Diablo not to play hc. In d2 sand d3 you always knew what killed you. There wasn't that much on the screen, there weren't crazy interactions, and there were very few "gotcha" moments. Poe is significantly more complicated, and it's much, much easier to instantly die and have no idea what happened (if you're new). For better or worse, there's just a lot more moving pieces that make death more common and more inscrutable for the uninitiated.

There's tons of bosses in the game of various difficulties. There's bosses at the end of maps that are equivalent to fighting a rare mob, and there's six pinnacle bosses in the vein of Uber Lilith. What you're capable of killing depends on your build, gear, and skill. Some people will get 5 hours into maps and find excellent gear on a busted build and start clearing the hardest content, and other people will play sub par builds that they gear poorly that will never make it to the extreme end of content.

The beauty of it all is that it's a very long treadmill. You're always improving your gear and seeing very clearly how much stronger you're getting, and getting rewarded for progressing through content.

As for d4 I'm going to play season 1 and won't have a sense of comparison, since I didn't play pre-patch, but it's obvious that their goal was to severely slow everyone down in a game that was already pretty slow. Maybe it was needed for long term health and maybe it wasn't, but giving players absolutely no treats to get excited about was a tremendous fumble. I remember the 3.15 Poe patch people are comparing this to, and they were very different. Those changes were not only mostly necessary, they explained them all as they were made to try and illuminate the decision making process. Some ended up getting walked back but not all. And it was dropping alongside a new season with a bunch of new content to look forward to

one of the funniest deaths i had in there was discovering after a lot of play time that there's a monster affix that drains all your potion charges

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Vic posted:

My friend and his wife were playing splitscreen on PS5 and made it to WT4. The circle button on her gamepad doesn't work so she wasn't using evade the whole time. She was playing skele necro and my friend played sorcerer.

This game was really giving you hard time huh.

When you think about it some terrible builds (wrt items) got big buffs. If you weren't using the crit and vuln buckets then you probably feel like a God rn

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

bamhand posted:

he's not even that fit by poe player standards, this is the single best poe player https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbFyDK2cO08

he released that video the same day that he beat the uber elder pinnacle boss fight on a level 24 character

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Sloober posted:

one of the funniest deaths i had in there was discovering after a lot of play time that there's a monster affix that drains all your potion charges

People don't listen when they're told hc in poe is not the same as other games lol.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wonder why fixing the Uber uniques dropping from hell tides took no time but fixing the cinder drops is taking so long

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Wonder why fixing the Uber uniques dropping from hell tides took no time but fixing the cinder drops is taking so long

They are listening to feedback right now.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Vic posted:

My friend and his wife were playing splitscreen on PS5 and made it to WT4. The circle button on her gamepad doesn't work so she wasn't using evade the whole time. She was playing skele necro and my friend played sorcerer.

This game was really giving you hard time huh.

the hardest. i had a meltdown about 2 second stun CCs and had to remind some chuds that i'm 40 and have been playing games since i was 6 lmao

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
rod ferguson one armed chinup video when??

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

bamhand posted:

The diehard ARPG goons are all marathon runners actually.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Yea? These changes aren't going to meaningfully impact the tens or hundreds of thousands of people that don't know there's a season starting or even what a season is. These changes impact the top <5% of the player base that gets excited for patch notes to drop and expect to level to 80+ every season. Who is going to be passionately posting about patch notes other than the no-lifers?

There are people posting their level 40 barbs are dying in the open world now lmao

Wuxi posted:

PoE numbers will always vary a lot. The best players will get through the campaign and maps and kill the first set of endgame bosses in <8h.
Getting your first character that far as a new player is gonna take forever, even if you don't hit a brick wall in terms of progression because your build will probably suck. If you don't enjoy that, you should probably wait till PoE 2 and the new campaign.

Eh, you can't really gently caress up a build in POE. Every skill is pretty badass when it's leveled up and slotted with helpers. Anyone can basically get to the endgame in POE face rolling a totally "broken" build and have a ton of fun blowing up screens, but once you want to try the higher tier Atlas stuff, you really need a focused build - Your poo poo tier supa fun build likely wont hold up. By that point you've probably got a bazillion hours into the game and are smart enough to keep going doing non-endgame endgame content or get your poo poo together and focus on what all those stats mean.

I dunno, maybe this is what you said and I comprehended it differently.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 19, 2023

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

It's funny that people were saying they didn't understand why people wanted to start over each season with a fresh character.

Buddy, blizzard isn't going to leave you with any playable characters in the eternal realm when the season starts anyway!

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

the hardest. i had a meltdown about 2 second stun CCs and had to remind some chuds that i'm 40 and have been playing games since i was 6 lmao

I don't get it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Vic posted:

I don't get it.

I think they're trying to make fun of angry people but it just reads as angrier

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Philthy posted:

There are people posting their level 40 barbs are dying in the open world now lmao

skill issue, get filtered lmao

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Just loaded up my 85 necro that is all in on minions and the shadow dot on the corpse explosion.

Did the 39 dungeon that I normally do, and it was easier! Dot damage increased, minion damage increased, enemies ran around less which meant my minions could hit more. Also the 'cold mages cast blizzard' aspect was buffed from casting every 10sec to 8sec, which meant enemies were chilled/frozen more, which triggered vulnerable more.

I didn't die once. Great patch, A++ would enjoy again.

I just wish the paragon boards were fixed (?) I didn't realize half of what I sunk points into don't do anything.

Pff
Aug 17, 2012
Logged in after a long break last night to find my renown maxed. I guess they buffed dungeon rep? As long as they haven't nerfed any other areas I think this might be the perfect game for me now.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

Ravendas posted:

Just loaded up my 85 necro that is all in on minions and the shadow dot on the corpse explosion.

Did the 39 dungeon that I normally do, and it was easier! Dot damage increased, minion damage increased, enemies ran around less which meant my minions could hit more. Also the 'cold mages cast blizzard' aspect was buffed from casting every 10sec to 8sec, which meant enemies were chilled/frozen more, which triggered vulnerable more.

I just wish the paragon boards were fixed (?) I didn't realize half of what I sunk points into don't do anything.

Maybe they were fixed! Be the change you want to see in the world and test it out.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Ravendas posted:

some of those necro paragons are actually working fine but there is a visual bug where it doesn't reflect on your stats/tool tips. i have no clue if blizzard has even acknowledged this. this poo poo has been around since launch...

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Philthy posted:

Eh, you can't really gently caress up a build in POE. Every skill is pretty badass when it's leveled up and slotted with helpers. Anyone can basically get to the endgame in POE face rolling a totally "broken" build and have a ton of fun blowing up screens, but once you want to try the higher tier Atlas stuff, you really need a focused build - Your poo poo tier supa fun build likely wont hold up. By that point you've probably got a bazillion hours into the game and are smart enough to keep going doing non-endgame endgame content or get your poo poo together and focus on what all those stats mean.

My very first poe build 7 years ago was avatar of fire sweep, I didn't make it beyond act 3 lmao

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

he's not even that fit by poe player standards, this is the single best poe player https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbFyDK2cO08

he released that video the same day that he beat the uber elder pinnacle boss fight on a level 24 character

god drat i would kill any goon for delts like that

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Pff posted:

Logged in after a long break last night to find my renown maxed. I guess they buffed dungeon rep? As long as they haven't nerfed any other areas I think this might be the perfect game for me now.

Are you sure it wasn't before? Or did you maybe just benefit from the renown bonus from alters + map reveals being account-wide?

There is nothing in the patch notes about buffing renown for dungeons.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Pff posted:

Ya no nerfs. Your build is online, login dude.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Are you sure it wasn't before? Or did you maybe just benefit from the renown bonus from alters + map reveals being account-wide?

There is nothing in the patch notes about buffing renown for dungeons.

they buffed it from 30 to 40 for dungeons and 20 to 30 for quests. they said it was retroactive so it will affect you for stuff you've done already

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Sloober posted:

they buffed it from 30 to 40 for dungeons and 20 to 30 for quests. they said it was retroactive so it will affect you for stuff you've done already

Ah, you are right. I missed that. Thanks!

King Cocoa Butter
Mar 24, 2021

Don't be ashy.
Entirely possible they stealth fixed some minion stuff. It would at least be consistent since they never acknowledged it was broken in the first place!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I feel like some backlash could've been avoided by not nerfing existing items. That's part of the fun of eternal leagues or standard leagues or whatever, they can be full of random OP poo poo for grognards that care about that.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Sloober posted:

oh this is actually really cool. The beginning a new character and maxing out paragon points part is going to be pretty easy to do while getting to 50

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
when the thrust of your patching is 'everything is worse, even the Bad Builds' there's not much you can do to blunt the negativity on it, at least they somewhat addressed vuln, but i still think vuln shouldn't be in the game since its build limiting in its current form

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Just make everything multiplicative :rms:

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Sloober posted:

when the thrust of your patching is 'everything is worse, even the Bad Builds' there's not much you can do to blunt the negativity on it, at least they somewhat addressed vuln, but i still think vuln shouldn't be in the game since its build limiting in its current form

Aren't the builds that don't use cd, vuln, or crit damage actually stronger now? That's why we have all these people saying they don't notice any differences in difficulty. They're just as strong if not stronger than before!

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Philthy posted:

Eh, you can't really gently caress up a build in POE.

Of course you can. It's pretty trivial to brick a character and be unable to progress.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

bamhand posted:

Aren't the builds that don't use cd, vuln, or crit damage actually stronger now? That's why we have all these people saying they don't notice any differences in difficulty. They're just as strong if not stronger than before!

Yeah if your build was bad before it probably does more damage now. You will still die faster and get less XP though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pff posted:

As long as they haven't nerfed any other areas I think this might be the perfect game for me now.

I have really bad news about this.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

bamhand posted:

Yes lol. They buffed the badly made builds, not the bad skills

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I’d be fine with the game if it started with this patch as the norm. But we essentially had “easy mode” it seems and now it’s changing. The gear I’ve prioritized looks like it is no longer ideal, forcing me to grind for new stuff all over. I’ll try season stuff but I really wanted to play my rogue to 100 and beat things that way first.

Also, I enjoyed D2 trying to hunt down uniques. The uber uniques being so unattainable is a real negative for me.

Not feeling like this game is going to last much longer on my play list.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

External Organs posted:

Just make everything multiplicative :rms:

I agree with this actually.

4 buckets - mainstat + weapon DPS dictating your base damage, then the +% to status/type modifiers, then +Vuln%, then +crit% at the end.

Or flip those around as necessary.

Or to simplify the Vuln problem put that into the +% to status/type bucket because ultimately it’s the same thing as +% to bleed or w/e.

Let things stack additively inside the bucket and multiplicatively between buckets.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

External Organs posted:

I feel like some backlash could've been avoided by not nerfing existing items. That's part of the fun of eternal leagues or standard leagues or whatever, they can be full of random OP poo poo for grognards that care about that.

Yeah the nerfs aren't why people are butthurt. They are relatively minor. It's that nothing new was added, and everything people wanted was ignored with the added bonus of slower leveling.

My group was on the fence about playing more diablo after ~lvl 70 waiting for the cool stuff they'll introduce, and it turned out to be a hard no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Magus42 posted:

Of course you can. It's pretty trivial to brick a character and be unable to progress.

Ehh not really. You can basically always keep killing lower level content to generate the resources to fix a character. It's not necessarily a wise use of your time, of course.