Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Posting my backlog so I can be shamed into tackling it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Asteroid Alert posted:

You can probably snap-build Barbatos and Aerial in less than an hour each, so those should clear out of the pile easily. Might be best to have them alternate, though, so you have a cooldown build after or in the middle of one of the big projects like the Unleashed.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Whenever you do it, I recommend doing something to warm up the shoulder bits on the Unicorn RG before you put them in. I literally warmed them up with a heating pad, then flexed all the joints.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Maybe we should do a post backlog and have someone else decide on what to do list?

Cause I sure as gently caress can't decide what to make.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
That would be a good idea. I would need a nudge on that front.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Asteroid Alert posted:

That would be a good idea. I would need a nudge on that front.

Barbatos, if you've never made an IBO kit before. Fast, smooth, full inner frame. Should be a good way to get some momentum going, even if it has more stickers than ideal.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I don't have it anymore, but the Kotobukiya Alteisen kit is one of my favorites of all time.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Bought an Ao Bing to do instead of my backlog, because its prepainted and I a break from constantly feeling like I should have done more with my kits.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

my backlog isn't very terrible yet but it will be when November comes around and my first p-bandai shipment arrives

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

chiasaur11 posted:

Worse, Shaddiq is an unpopular character who was expected to be popular. Where Iok was a known loser and thus had his suit moved to P-Bandai where it could avoid overprinting, Shaddiq's suit is right on the shelves competing with Aerial and the other kits people actually want.

See, this is why I just go for stuff that I think looks cool and don’t give a hoot as to who pilots it. If I did, I wouldn’t have so many Freedom kits.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Same. I focus on the suit first... but I can see how it would influence sales.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
As cool as the Michaelis looks, I get the trepidation. I felt scuzzy putting the Schwalbe McGillis on display and eventually bought the parts and paint to convert it into a Gaelio.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I don't watch any of the shows and am thus released from any moral discord. free your mind

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

anime? never touch the stuff, filthy habit. pass the clippers would you love?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

There’s a pilot?!?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The experience of building the PGU kit was amazing. I second the notion to start that and do the others when you want a break. You may not actually want a break. Strongly consider the stickers in the box vs 3rd party waterslides; either way there will be a lot of them. Oh god the PGU has so many stickers.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
My brain will not allow me to not use waterslides I can't live with the thickness it is all I see and all I can think about is peeling

Yawgmoft fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 17, 2023

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Haven't worked with resin yet but I really would love this 1/100 Hygogg https://projectvhobby.com/products/hydro-blue-1100-hygogg-resin-model-00426

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Snowy posted:

There’s a pilot?!?

is that what that little doll on the sprue is?

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Asteroid Alert posted:

Watch out for the glossy black parts on the Amatsu Mina. The plastic is really tough, and it can get really sharp if you don't shave it down, kid-grade obsidian. Not particularly easy to file down nubs either! And I went over all the gold parts with a metallic golden marker because I didn't like the stock yellow, surprised it worked.

One of the more experimental kits, but I liked it

edit: oh and watch out for the forehead dot. I have never lost a sticker so fast

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

My top tip for the Gold frame is to glue those red tips on the head wing thingies. They're the kind of part that likes to ping off in the middle of the night when nobody's looking, never to be seen again.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Apparently Michaelis sells better around here because my local store just restocked a bunch of them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

wdarkk posted:

Apparently Michaelis sells better around here because my local store just restocked a bunch of them.

Get on the phone to Bandai and let them know that a cure has been found.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arc Hammer posted:

Get on the phone to Bandai and let them know that a cure has been found.

An Antidote, surely? :v:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Well if they're not selling give me a few and Imma make one with two arm cannons. :colbert:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I think it looks neat

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've got nothing against the kit aside from the hourglass waist having zero articulation. I just find it funny that there's always pictures of stacks of michaelis kits and nothing else and then I saw it in person at my local shop and got a good laugh.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
Some shots of my Gundam Hyrios:

And the Nier Automata kit:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I want them to make a Ver. Hathaway version of the Gustav Karl high grade. I was looking at the differences in line art between the chunky Unicorn version and the one in Hathaway and it looks so much nicer.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

I built my first Gundam!

XXXG-01H HEAVY ARMS (clear color)

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

psycho zaku main body done. overall I'm pleased with how he's turned out so far but there were also some unfortunate shortcomings. I used three coats of matte topcoat on him and I'm wondering if I should have stuck with two - from a reasonable distance it looks great, almost ceramic, but up close especially in bright light it looks thick and a little chalky. there were also some unfortunate issues with residue getting caught underneath and I need to do a better job of catching/cleaning that stuff beforehand. still, not terrible. I'm extremely pleased with how well the plastic parts in the visor turned out after squeezing some masking tape in there before top coating

I had a tough time with the decals - I don't know if I just got a flawed sheet or I need to refine my technique or what but most of the larger ones had trouble with silvering and even peeling awhile after placement, often several hours after they seemingly went on/adhered cleanly. I had to go back and do some follow-up application with water/setter when a few of them flapped off partially. I may end up doing one more coat of setter on everything after the softer dries to help firmly set them going forward, at least on the larger/oddly shaped ones. that 96 marking on the shoulder I thought set great but ended up badly silvered after the top coat went on, probably because some of it got underneath during the application. alas

lastly, the legs are terrible. like farcically bad for a model of this quality. they're these stubby little nubs that just barely fit into a very shallow socket in the waist and they come loose with even a little movement. you wouldn't believe the struggle I had just to get him stably into that standing position in the photos. I'm really hoping that once he's held up on the stand there won't be as much pressure put on them but I may end up having to stick a bit of electrical tape or something on the tip of the nubs to keep them firmly set in there. we'll see

anyway, next week I'll get cracking on phase 2: the nine guns (lol) and the axe. onward and upward

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
I think the topcoat looks fine. Not to dismiss your critical eye! But a ceramic look is something I strive for, and usually come up short because I'm afraid of frosting.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Marx Headroom posted:

I think the topcoat looks fine. Not to dismiss your critical eye! But a ceramic look is something I strive for, and usually come up short because I'm afraid of frosting.

thanks, I'm too new at this to truly know what looks good or not and I'm probably just being neurotic. it only looks really uncertain if you're looking closely under bright light and there won't be many times that comes up once all is said and done so I'm not too broke up about it, mostly just musing on how to improve going forward

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Im slowly moving towards my first water decals and topcoating myself. That top coat looks nice to my eye I hope mine turns out like that.

With loose sockets I apply a little nail polish to the ball joint or peg. Gives it that slight amount of extra thickness and solves a lot of problems that way.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Mindblast posted:

Im slowly moving towards my first water decals and topcoating myself. That top coat looks nice to my eye I hope mine turns out like that.

With loose sockets I apply a little nail polish to the ball joint or peg. Gives it that slight amount of extra thickness and solves a lot of problems that way.

thx for the praise. I'll consider the nail polish idea! I don't think thickness is the issue so much as a lack of depth to them so they can really get in there and stay put, particularly when I'm adjusting the posture. I think once he's up on the base I'll have to do a certain amount of pre-positioning before just carefully squeezing them in. that's a ways away tho - lots of building/detailing still to be done

my build partner is away on a trip starting tomorrow so I'm gonna spend the weekend putting together a hexa gear dude I bought as a side project

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Do yourself a favour, go take a look at any of the Kyoukai Senki weapon/option sets now while they're still relatively easy to find to see if any take your fancy. A lot of the machine-specific parts are designed for the MAILeS Byakuchi.

Thanks. I have this somewhat down on a list of things to check, since I’m drinking from a firehose regarding info at this point.

I appreciate the delpi vote as well. Made an account and loaded up a cart with current and future kit decals.

Now that I have kits and way too many paints and tools I should really start building something.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Buck Wildman posted:

so I'm not too broke up about it, mostly just musing on how to improve going forward

Well if you're looking for things to improve for the next build!

Fill seams in a few places like this, especially light colored parts

I am aware that particular white piece is borderline impossible to fill and sand once assembled but shoot for the moon I guess

Remove these nubs

Try not to excavate

Even though I know Zaku shields always have that issue despite 40 years of engineering, it's like they're taunting us

But really it looks good, even the decal stuff isn't going to be visible from 2 feet away, and that particular kit provides advantages:
1. Everyone is going to focus on the gigantic rocket booster anyway
2. Thunderbolt suits like to be weathered so you can paper over almost any technical mistake and people will think you're a creative genious staying faithful to the setting

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Der-Wreck posted:

I built my first Gundam!

XXXG-01H HEAVY ARMS (clear color)

Looks rad wish I'd picked it up at the time!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Marx Headroom posted:

Well if you're looking for things to improve for the next build!

appreciate the advice. I'm not going to worry too much about filling in cracks and stuff just yet, and I do my best about filing the nubs down but sometimes they slip through - I'm planning on investing in some better clippers. I don't know what "excavation" means in this context - that point you're indicating was a flaw in the molding that was already there on the runner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

kinda working myself up to artisanal perfection so to speak, I think it was kinda hubristic to do a model like this as only my third one as it is