Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Tony Tone posted:

Nazism in Ukraine is massively overblown, the reason average Ukrainians fight is your good old cliche of patriotism, defending the nation/family/children, etc. The current government has never been insanely popular, the citizens just think it's better than the previous one, and Zelensky -- while previously perceived as just a comedian, pretty smoothly transitioned into a more or less acceptable "leader" because of the way he carries himself and his refusal to surrender (a colossal mistake obviously, but people really loving love the "no surrender" poo poo). And that's probably just because of his countless PR-oriented aides that spawn local memes just as good if not even better than their Western oriented memes.

Ukraine will most likely eventually negotiate peace after Russia gets what it wants, which is a good chunk of land between it and NATO, and Zelensky's government will most likely continue existing all the while pleading NATO to let it join for years to come. I dont really see a power vacuum forming here where some rouge neo Nazi faction takes the reigns and starts a second war lol, the situation is really nothing like that.

There might be some insurrection of nazi thugs if things devolve but they will not have the capacity to do anything meaningful, even with all their NATO left-over toys. The culture of modern Ukraine is pretty firmly distanced from Nazism, and even the current variation isn't the old-school "hating minorities worldwide global race war white power" kind of Nazism, but is instead a variation more rooted in the "gently caress Russia, Ukraine for Ukrainians" trope. Which, on a scale of poo poo, is Slightly Less poo poo.

Have any of you tried to... idk maybe just not continuing to read the loving post? Its why I chose words instead of just linking the videos.

Maybe Im a hosed up psychopath, but Im pretty sure most people have a sense of morbid curiosity to various degrees. I think it's important to witness reality, even if it is completely hosed up, and to let yourself process it just as you would any other information. The drones were new to me because I had not been closely following the war and it completely titled my perspective of it, so I decided to share my thoughts. I dont know which moron tried insinuating I like it, I dont actively go out of my way to loving watch gore videos for the hell of it, so gently caress that rear end in a top hat. But I still think it's sometimes important to witness with your own two eyes the very real and full extent of human barbarism.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

You are absolute trash and you should stay in your hosed up containment thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i agree that we shan't be posting gore videos or descriptions of them, in this thread. please refrain from doing so.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Tony Tone posted:

Have any of you tried to... idk maybe just not continuing to read the loving post? Its why I chose words instead of just linking the videos.

Maybe Im a hosed up psychopath, but Im pretty sure most people have a sense of morbid curiosity to various degrees. I think it's important to witness reality, even if it is completely hosed up, and to let yourself process it just as you would any other information. The drones were new to me because I had not been closely following the war and it completely titled my perspective of it, so I decided to share my thoughts. I dont know which moron tried insinuating I like it, I dont actively go out of my way to loving watch gore videos for the hell of it, so gently caress that rear end in a top hat. But I still think it's sometimes important to witness with your own two eyes the very real and full extent of human barbarism.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

it's not, tony. it's not important at all.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
I most disliked the statement that the ideology under which the pale of settlement was emptied is "slightly less odious" than Nazism, personally - that's an unfortunately pretty mainstream thought at this point.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Morbid curiosity is real but maybe respect that some people arent interested in sating that or regularly seeing/reading about it

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
He's a dirty little boy

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

famous Afghan proverb; ”you may have the watches, but we have the time”

lol goddamn

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

sounds like we need some tony tone policing itt

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Enjoy posted:

it sucks that stalin gave hitler 2 years to do this instead of joining britain and france in their declarations of war on germany

yes we know that you're real mad that the ussr beat the nazis you don't have to keep hammering the point home

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Surely nato, which had a decades long program to provide weapons caches for fascists in case russia conquered european countries, won't provide weapons caches for facsists in a country conquered by russia

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Regarde Aduck posted:

best thing is this guy not wanting more dead Ukrainians is apparently a genocide supporting chud

No one wants more dead Ukrainians than their supporters lmao (and by lmao i mean i feel kinda sick at everything)

We will sacrifice everyone else in our efforts to dismantle Russia and china as competing entity's.

What you thought Americas support came for free?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Hatebag posted:

Surely nato, which had a decades long program to provide weapons caches for fascists in case russia conquered european countries, won't provide weapons caches for facsists in a country conquered by russia

and thus arming far-right paramilitaries and them acquiring political power as result

(Piazza Fontana bombing, Pasolini's murder, Dutroux affair, etc etc)

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Regarde Aduck posted:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Russia has been pacifying Ukrainian countryside for centuries, you could call it a national pastime. Well maybe not a national pastime, since they've been doing it way before nations were a thing. Cultural tradition?

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Enjoy posted:

it sucks that stalin gave hitler 2 years to do this instead of joining britain and france in their declarations of war on germany

They would if the west didn't refuse any alliance/pact with the USSR which led them to make one with Germany but I guess that part of history is memory-holed to you.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

dudes rock

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Enjoy posted:

yeah what kind of reception britain and france gave to the ussr every other time before 1939, I wonder

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Enjoy posted:

:wth:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Tony Tone posted:

Nazism in Ukraine is massively overblown, the reason average Ukrainians fight is your good old cliche of patriotism, defending the nation/family/children, etc. The current government has never been insanely popular, the citizens just think it's better than the previous one,

lol oh yeah, didn't the current government win election by a landslide? seems pretty popular to me!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The British and french basically contributed nothing to the war effort anyway besides a very stupid distraction. Britain's biggest bragging point is wasting German steel and manpower in an unwinnable offensive to take an inconsequential island.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
guy talking about patriotism and nazism as if they're not two sides of the same coin

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Enjoy posted:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I have heard arguments that Hitler used the invasion of Britain to hide Germany's operation to invade the Soviet. Is there merit to this angle?

Was Hitler playing 4D chess or he was just bad at strategy?

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Truga posted:

guy talking about patriotism and nazism as if they're not two sides of the same coin

"They're not Nazis! They just really feel patriotic about their ancestry and their homeland. Their blood and soil, if you will."

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

I have heard arguments that Hitler used the invasion of Britain to hide Germany's operation to invade the Soviet. Is there merit to this angle?

Was Hitler playing 4D chess or he was just bad at strategy?

The Germans didn't invade Britain

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Truga posted:

More of a same side of the same coin.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
ive seen enough. nuke denmark

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

stephenthinkpad posted:

no. Hitler was always going to attack the Soviet Union as a cornerstone of his fascist ideology, but he also genuinely wanted to bring Britain to heel to avoid having to fight a two-front war

when he realized that he didn't have the naval power to invade Britain, and an air campaign was not going to be enough to do it on its own, he decided to invade the USSR regardless

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

tristeham posted:

lets make it happen

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

tristeham posted:

yep

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Regarde Aduck posted:

We can fix him.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

lobster shirt posted:

lets make it happen

doing my part

spacetoaster posted:

We can fix him.

working on it

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Hitler wanted peace with Britain and was confused to the end why they wouldn't back him against the Bolsheviks. Rudolf Hess (3rd in line in the succession) flew a plane to Scotland to personally try to negotiate a peace treaty/alliance against the Soviets.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

tristeham posted:

Harsh, but fair.

Organ Fiend posted:

"They're not Nazis! They just really feel patriotic about their ancestry and their homeland. Their blood and soil, if you will."

SplitSoul has issued a correction as of 17:20 on Jul 19, 2023

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

The Kleschkeeva area southwest of Bakhmut might be the most high-stakes battlefield in the war right now. There's a high ground there that, if the UA takes and holds it, would make the surrounding lowlands tough to defend for Russia.

As it stands though, both sides are playing "King of the Hill" here, with the heights changing hands day to day.

https://twitter.com/GeromanAT/status/1681679363325014019?s=20

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

no. Hitler was always going to attack the Soviet Union as a cornerstone of his fascist ideology, but he also genuinely wanted to bring Britain to heel to avoid having to fight a two-front war

when he realized that he didn't have the naval power to invade Britain, and an air campaign was not going to be enough to do it on its own, he decided to invade the USSR regardless

Granted, it was quite a switch up, as in June 1941, Tobruk was under siege and if anything had extra injection of forces could have allowed a push to Cairo. Greece had just fallen as well. It seemed like the British were on the backfoot, and it would probably have called for terms in the next 12 months.

It is why Moscow was so confused, since it didn't make any sense. Westerners have some intrinsic desire to want to go east for land and resources, and it never works for them.

--------

Also, between October 1940 to June 1940, the Western allies themselves hadn't bothered to actually fight the war. After June 1940, the French folded like a bag and the British were making a token effort in a Mediterranean. It would have been the Soviets who were expected to do the heavy lifting probably with minimal Western support.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 17:27 on Jul 19, 2023

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Starting midnight Russia will consider ships approaching Ukrainian ports military targets.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Not exactly

РИА Новости posted:

Statement of the Ministry of Defense due to the termination of the "Black Sea initiative"

🔻From 00.00 Moscow time on July 20, all vessels traveling in the Black Sea to Ukrainian ports will be considered as potential carriers of military cargo

The flag countries of such vessels will be considered involved in the Ukrainian conflict on the side of the Kiev regime

A number of marine areas in the north-western and south-eastern parts of the international waters of the Black Sea have been declared temporarily dangerous for navigation.
(from t.me/rian_ru/209397, via tgsa)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If Churchill didn't kill all the French naval ships the campaign against Britain probably would last much longer.