Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Very big missile strike on Odessa last night

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1681568245722255361?t=2i-VeQFSQV77yAVnQv2aDg&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Russia will rejoin the grain deal to ameliorate the Global South, but only after they've tried to turn Ukraine's export infrastructure to rubble.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Icon Of Sin posted:

Are they trying to rediscover ICBMs? :confused:

Rods from God!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_bombardment

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Was just about to post this! 5 ton tungsten beam dropping in at Mach 25+ has a godawful amount of kinetic energy it's fairly sound in theory. There is better ways to deliver a hyper sonic boom like a ICBM so it's kinda pointless

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ah yes, launching an ICBM after I threatened nuclear annihilation countless times surely has no risks or consequences, right?

Hail SS-18 Satan may his passage cleanse the earth

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Gervasius posted:

Ah yes, launching an ICBM after I threatened nuclear annihilation countless times surely has no risks or consequences, right?

Hail SS-18 Satan may his passage cleanse the earth

It's unclear they still use that particular ICBM given it's... of Ukrainian make.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Was just about to post this! 5 ton tungsten beam dropping in at Mach 25+ has a godawful amount of kinetic energy it's fairly sound in theory. There is better ways to deliver a hyper sonic boom like a ICBM so it's kinda pointless

No radiation seems like a good benefit.

EDIT:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66242446

quote:

More than 2,000 residents are being evacuated from four villages in Russian-occupied Crimea after a fire that triggered hours of explosions at a nearby ammunition depot.

GSV Fuck Your God
Aug 27, 2003

small-l liberalism
Roscosmos will never receive another Western launch contract ever again after seizing OneWeb's package and this is just flailing around looking for development money to burn as you say.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Eric Cantonese posted:

Some more sobering commentary coming from a guy who accompanied Rob Lee and Michael Kofman to observe the front lines.

https://twitter.com/HoansSolo/status/1681240456754077697

I copied and pasted the thread here for those of you who don't want to start a Twitter account.

It's not what I want to hear, but it does seem to check out from what we have been able to see.

I guess this is the same content as the newest episode of the geopolitics decanted podcast. With the same people talking on a train coming back from their trip to Ukraine.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

That was the first thing I thought about. That would be utterly devastating if they could get it to work.

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL
How is a state that is looking to establish a new multipolar World function as part of that World if its leader is not able to travel abroad?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

mrfart posted:

I guess this is the same content as the newest episode of the geopolitics decanted podcast. With the same people talking on a train coming back from their trip to Ukraine.

Same as Kofman’s latest episode too.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

5 tonnes of tungsten from orbit is all well and good until you realise Soyuz can lift 7.5t to LEO and Proton about 23t.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

regret to inform you vlad but someone sold off the tungsten rods and replaced it with wood logs

"did they kill any innocent children at least?"

nyet they burned up in the atmosphere

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Nam Taf posted:

5 tonnes of tungsten from orbit is all well and good until you realise Soyuz can lift 7.5t to LEO and Proton about 23t.

Also, didn’t Kazakhstan seize one of the launch facilities back from Russia last year? Or terminated the contract for lack of payment, probably closer to that.

e: lol yep.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2023/03/kazakhstans-seizure-of-russian-space-assets-threatens-the-soyuz-5-rocket/amp/

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Rugz posted:

How is a state that is looking to establish a new multipolar World function as part of that World if its leader is not able to travel abroad?

Russia still has ambassadors in every country, a foreign affairs minister, and other relevant cabinet officials. Even if the entire cabinet was banned from travel, no one's going to outlaw the embassies. And it's not like meetings need to happen face-to-face anymore these days, anyway.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Fuschia tude posted:

Russia still has ambassadors in every country, a foreign affairs minister, and other relevant cabinet officials. Even if the entire cabinet was banned from travel, no one's going to outlaw the embassies. And it's not like meetings need to happen face-to-face anymore these days, anyway.

Never say never.

Embassies and ambassadors are largely a legacy of the historical need to meet face to face for lack of practical alternatives. If the west went "Russian embassies you're out" would it hurt much beyond the symbolism?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Senor Tron posted:

Never say never.

Embassies and ambassadors are largely a legacy of the historical need to meet face to face for lack of practical alternatives. If the west went "Russian embassies you're out" would it hurt much beyond the symbolism?

Yes, you always need official diplomatic channels. In practice countries cut down on the allowed number of embassy staff to make things inconvenient and make a statement - US and Russia already done several rounds of that.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Senor Tron posted:

Never say never.

Embassies provide vital services for nationals traveling, working, and living abroad.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Senor Tron posted:

Never say never.

Embassies are important administrative centers for foreign nationals in that country. Eg, if I have a passport issue overseas, I go to the US embassy to resolve it.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Embassies are good even if they trend towards being I Guess Let's Put Our Spies Here, usually countries that aren't russia do an OK job of not doing it so hard they undermine the general utility

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Senor Tron posted:

Never say never.

I mean the first thing is that Russia would also expel your embassy and that would generally be bad for your citizens in the country, your ability to conduct formal and informal diplomatic negotiations, and your ability to conduct intelligence operations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Rugz posted:

They will from now convene in Moscow Beijing making this a huge victory for Putin Xi

The west have been played as fools again!

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

Fuschia tude posted:

Important things happening face-to-face is absolutely still a thing and an expression of power and influence on the World stage. 'Their boss never leaves his room' vs. 'Our boss is here to shake your hand and take you to dinner'

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Speaking of embassies, Finland just decided to shut the Russian head consulate in Turku starting October after Russia decided to close the Finnish head consulate in St.Pete. I guess that leaves the two countries with just the embassies and the weird spy consulate in Åland.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Gort posted:

Making something that looks and acts exactly like a nuclear-armed ICBM in order to do a job an ordinary cruise missile can do seems like a great idea.

Especially when the trajectory of said launch could feasibly put Poland and other NATO EU countries on the potential list of targets.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1681697146305740800

Time to see if Turkey is going to come and save the day with the grain deal

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

Chalks posted:

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1681697146305740800

Time to see if Turkey is going to come and save the day with the grain deal

Causing a food security crisis in Africa to own the libs

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

Rugz posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/18/world/europe/putin-south-africa.html

I'm sure he could travel abroad (they wouldn't really arrest him), but it is still hilarious that he got asked not to and then has to put out a press release insisting that he makes his own travel plans.

Putin's days must be an exhausting struggle against the constant and overwhelming reminders of how bad he hosed up.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Nam Taf posted:

Yeah. I mean, you could probably do it, but it probably costs about a hundredth as much to just use a missile. Especially when your target is a neighboring country instead of on the opposite side of the planet.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Not to mention that getting timely coverage of an arbitrary location from LEO requires a lot of satellites. Just look at Starlink.

There’s no way rods from god are practical when you have rockets.

Paranoea
Aug 4, 2009
Maybe they're just really really sad that their Kalibrs have been getting Patrioted? So, need to get working on the next UNBLOCKABLE projectile.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1681657661828243457?s=20

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

mllaneza posted:

Here's a nice breakdown on how the US Army trains to do breaching operations. You do not achieve a useful level of proficiency in months. The Western equipped brigades that aren't on the front line? They're working on exactly this, and they're expecting to take huge casualties doing it when the time comes. Have all the best weapons won't help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ-sCT_maAQ

Interesting note:

Do trench clearing teams really have a big flag on their backs while they move?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Scratch Monkey posted:

Interesting note:

mostly just armbands, sometimes not even that. I'm actually confused on the green armbands, not sure what it means. Mostly seeing yellow or blue bands.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Scratch Monkey posted:

Interesting note:

Bring back Sashimono.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Scratch Monkey posted:

Interesting note:

You carry something to show your forward line, like some reflective panels to hang out of a cleared bunker, colored smoke grenades, or something along those lines.

Your support element that’s suppressing the people in the trench/bunker line you’re actually assaulting don’t need to be suppressing you, so you need a way to signal “shoot elsewhere, you fuckwits”

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

LifeSunDeath posted:

mostly just armbands, sometimes not even that. I'm actually confused on the green armbands, not sure what it means. Mostly seeing yellow or blue bands.

They switched to green armbands at some point and the MoD says that won’t say why until the war is over. My guy says attempted Brandenburger poo poo from russians

Rugz posted:

Causing a food security crisis in Africa to own the libs

That’s Zelenskiy’s fault for not surrendering

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

In close combat it is to be expected that recognition signals change periodically, whether it be colours, passwords or shibboleths. Just to ensure that the opponent stays honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?

Scratch Monkey posted:

Interesting note:

That's just a byproduct of the system they are using. Marks things for the viewer for ease of ID