Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

swickles posted:

The problem is that IP has to be protected, otherwise they lose the trademark to everyone. It might be by state though where state and public schools can use their logos in good faith without a licensing agreement. If I have time later this morning I will research it a little more.

They may just work out zero cost licensing deals with each high school. Maybe they give a blanket license to high schools to use their likeness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

swickles posted:

The problem is that IP has to be protected, otherwise they lose the trademark to everyone. It might be by state though where state and public schools can use their logos in good faith without a licensing agreement. If I have time later this morning I will research it a little more.

I do recall that the NFL in particular defends their marks by going after any use that isn't a high school. Apparently there's some logic behind it that if you're pursuing a large enough number of trademark defenses, then you don't really have to take your time to hit all of them. Colleges are far more aggressive. I came across this while digging around: https://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/27/sports/football/27logos.html

quote:

In August, Florida State sent a cease-and-desist letter to Southeast High School in Bradenton, Fla., regarding its Seminoles logo. Southeast argued that it had used the mark for 30 years without incident, and its colors are orange and blue - Florida’s colors - unlike Florida State’s garnet and gold.

“No self-respecting Florida State fan would buy an orange-and-blue Seminoles head,” said John Bowen, a lawyer for the Manatee County School District.

I've also discovered that some, presumably insane, human being decided to document all of the Pennsylvania high school helmets: https://www.pahelmetproject.com/index.php In a cursory search, I've found that southeastern PA high schools are more likely to use an NFL team logo than the rest of the state. And that there are some amazing names out there.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
It’s kind of wild Tulane and Fritz coming to a 7 year agreement seemingly wasn’t mentioned/covered anywhere beyond Tulane’s webpage.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
The rival HS in my hometown was using the Az Cardinals logo. IIRC Az sent a cease and desist and then immediately after a licensing offer of $1/year or some other pittance that allowed the school to use the logo legally.

My HS had not one but two original logos. The first looked like a parrot, but the second and current is pretty cool.

They ruined it with an absolutely atrocious alma mater (it mentions "die" something like 8 times), as well as straight copying Michigan's fight song. The rival school has an original fight song that's one of the best I've heard (jazz-influenced from the 1920's) and I was always so jealous.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Sash! posted:

I've also discovered that some, presumably insane, human being decided to document all of the Pennsylvania high school helmets: https://www.pahelmetproject.com/index.php In a cursory search, I've found that southeastern PA high schools are more likely to use an NFL team logo than the rest of the state. And that there are some amazing names out there.

I can't remember what high school my dad went to, but there's a non-zero possibility he was a Millionaire

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The school in my hometown is very much We Have Michigan at Home. They're the Wolves and wear gold instead of maize but the uniform is just Michigan's. No trademark on the winged helmet though and since most people in the area are UM fans as is, it's more of an homage than a ripoff.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Spacebump posted:

It’s kind of wild Tulane and Fritz coming to a 7 year agreement seemingly wasn’t mentioned/covered anywhere beyond Tulane’s webpage.

All sportswriters have been replaced by ChatGPT

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

All sportswriters have been replaced by ChatGPT

Thank God

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Komet posted:

How many copyright violations can you spot in the WV high school logos? https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...mibextid=Nif5oz

oh hey my high school and our main rivals are on there.

fwiw the 'W' in the coalfields grouping is Wyoming county West, and they were in a protracted legal battle with Wisconsin over its usage for several years in the mid 2000's. I think they reached a settlement of some kind?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
My high school (Gatlinburg-Pittman) allegedly received surplus uniforms from Pittsburg University via Johnny Majors in the early 70s. Pitt recently switched back to something similar so I've enjoyed watching them.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDg8MMUH-0A

new season of Untold features "Johnny Football" about Manziel and "Swamp Kings" about the Tebow/Urbz era Gators

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

kayakyakr posted:

as well as straight copying Michigan's fight song.
A lot of junior highs and high schools just buy the sheet music to a college's fight song and maybe change the words, though. My junior high school used Northwestern's; my high school had an original fight song but it wasn't particularly unique-sounding.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Incoherence posted:

A lot of junior highs and high schools just buy the sheet music to a college's fight song and maybe change the words, though. My junior high school used Northwestern's; my high school had an original fight song but it wasn't particularly unique-sounding.

Yeah, in middle school we went to a high school game to play alongside their band and the sheet music of the fight song we were handed was literally titled “Hail Purdue.”

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

My high school used Notre Dame's fight song with Texas A&M's colors

A combination if there ever was

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

dirty shrimp money posted:

My high school used Notre Dame's fight song with Texas A&M's colors

A combination if there ever was

lmao. bfnd.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Incoherence posted:

Yeah, our's was USC's so I played a LOT of 'Fight On' and 'Tribute to Troy'

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Incoherence posted:

The high school I mainly cover had several alums from Duke in the administration in the 1920s, which influenced everything, including the fight song. Notre Dame and Michigan fight songs get used a ton in my area. Another uses the intro from the instrumental The Horse.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Sash! posted:

I've been messing around on here for the past hour. Thanks for posting.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I particularly like the team I'm calling the Lazy Eagles

They're not even called the Eagles or anything bird!

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Cthulu Carl posted:

Also the fact that no one is going to confuse the Badgers with a high school team who was so lovely the majority of the home crowd was only there to see the marching band.

This is literally what Wisconsin was before Barry showed up.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Sash! posted:

I particularly like the team I'm calling the Lazy Eagles

They're not even called the Eagles or anything bird!

They even share their name with a different team that has a famous design of that nature and ripped off the bird one!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Rectal Placenta posted:

This was right at the end of Barry's reign as actual coach, so I'm not surprised they didn't want to remind people that they weren't so different from a suburban high school

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Henchman of Santa posted:

They even share their name with a different team that has a famous design of that nature and ripped off the bird one!

Completely ridiculous!

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Always weird seeing a high school with the jayhawk logo on the uniform.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Wiltsghost posted:

Always weird seeing a high school with the jayhawk logo on the uniform.

FSU vs KU looking fly

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1681410085065506826?t=soVODPYaR3_bWFGb7guuZw&s=19

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

LeeMajors posted:

FSU vs KU looking fly

"Spear with Feather" has to be, like, the #3 most knocked off one.

I have a Vidalia (GA) Indians booster hat with the spear and they even use the FSU colors. Lawyers must have found them because they don't use the spear any more.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The Pac-12 media rights deal must be wretched.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
That's an actual network? Man RIP pac12 after dark

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Pac-12 media rights deal must be wretched.

I don't think there is one, otherwise there's no reason for this PR song and dance. The gap between their asking price and what networks are willing to pay must be dire.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

dirty shrimp money posted:

I don't think there is one, otherwise there's no reason for this PR song and dance. The gap between their asking price and what networks are willing to pay must be dire.

Then there's this article which quotes a source who's probably Kliavkoff himself

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/38031370/source-pac-12-media-rights-deal-expected-future

There's some optimism out there that the writer's strike is making live sports more valuable in the near term but I'm not holding my breath.

dphi fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 19, 2023

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Good news, just like the NCAA decided to stop punishing teams for cooperating with investigations after Mizzou got hammered for it, they created another policy/rule change

https://twitter.com/ByPatForde/status/1681294790686564352

Between that stupid rear end call, Nathaniel Peat dropping the game winning TD in OT as he crossed the goal line against Auburn, and I think one other game that had something ridiculous happen that I can't remember, Mizzou could've had like 9 wins last year

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Mike_V posted:

Good news, just like the NCAA decided to stop punishing teams for cooperating with investigations after Mizzou got hammered for it, they created another policy/rule change

https://twitter.com/ByPatForde/status/1681294790686564352

Between that stupid rear end call, Nathaniel Peat dropping the game winning TD in OT as he crossed the goal line against Auburn, and I think one other game that had something ridiculous happen that I can't remember, Mizzou could've had like 9 wins last year
Let's not get crazy here. Mizzou would have found new exciting ways to go 6-6.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Noted civil rights attorney Ben Crump is now representing several former Northwestern athletes alleging “rampant” hazing and sexual abuse.

Think things may be looking kinda bad for Northwestern athletics. Worse than usual, I mean.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

New Northwestern lawsuit is alleging misconduct in softball and volleyball, in addition to the previously known football, baseball, and cheerleading incidents

Death penalty

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

if northwestern got the death penalty would they even bother bringing back athletics

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

if northwestern got the death penalty would they even bother bringing back athletics

Maybe whoever is Big Ten commissioner this week could offer them half the money not to bother.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/BJRains/status/1681688992755089408?t=ldOM1RqmL-L_C0ZgBFJzNQ&s=19

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Declan MacManus posted:

If they really want to be Chicago’s big ten team they’ll drop athletics like U of Chicago did a long time ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Rectal Placenta posted:

Yeah we used to be Northwestern

edit: minus the hazing (hopefully)